Rolo Rawling

Can not agro or kill Whales

We have tried cannons, balista with both harpoons & bolts & have tried to run them over. They never agro and never take or give damage. We hit them, can see the harpoons/bolts in the whale & see the balls hit.

I too have had no luck agroing a whale with balista bolts.  However, a well placed carbine round works consistently for me.

You need couple ballistas on ship stern and nothing else.

You approach whale and try to shoot him manually. There is a bug that often occur - you projectiles hit invisible wall aside of your enemy, stuck there with no damage. It's not just happen to whales, but to all enemies around. So continue to shoot him. Try to get a bit closer (not too close). Then you finally hit him, he aggro and start to swim towards you. Raise your sails, keep distance and shoot.

You need around 70-80 ballistas spears to kill one whale (I usually take around 120 in case of bugs etc). When around 30-40% hp whale will turn around and start to submerge. You just stop and wait until he back. Keep your distance and shoot.

I personally made both solo with just a schooner and 2 ballistas on stern. I had 3 crew - one was on big speed sail control, another two - were shooting in automatic mode : )

p.s. - In polar region whale aggro you as soon as they see you. So you sail around - and when you see healt-bar underwater - turn around and keep you distance : )

Edited by George Catcher

We always pull with a carbine.  2-5 shots, and it will aggro the whale.  Once the whale is in combat, then the ship weaponry can hit.

Do you harvest the whale using the diving suit? I've yet to use the diving suit. i assume you can use the pick to harvest the whale while using it and it should keep you safe from sharks and stingray. Or maybe you just dive in with some good armor on and take your chances? I've never killed a whale, although I did shoot at a few. I'm getting the gear for it and wanting to give it a shot. They can be a quick source of gold, but of course the risk of losing your ship is there too.

Do you harvest the whale using the diving suit?

I don't. Just go as it is, usually I able to loot and hit it's corpse before sharks attack me. But as long as I live in Tundra I have my fortitude to 40 (+30 to equilibrium) so cold waters doesn't kill me fast.

1 hour ago, George Catcher said:

I don't. Just go as it is, usually I able to loot and hit it's corpse before sharks attack me. But as long as I live in Tundra I have my fortitude to 40 (+30 to equilibrium) so cold waters doesn't kill me fast.

I use the grappling hook to get the floating treasure and also the loot from killing a SotD. Too bad the grappling hook can't just pull the whale up to the ship and you harvest it from the ship. I used to jump in the water, but when I found a grappling hook works, no more jumping in with the sharks :skull:

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 6:10 AM, George Catcher said:

You need couple ballistas on ship stern and nothing else.

You approach whale and try to shoot him manually. There is a bug that often occur - you projectiles hit invisible wall aside of your enemy, stuck there with no damage. It's not just happen to whales, but to all enemies around. So continue to shoot him. Try to get a bit closer (not too close). Then you finally hit him, he aggro and start to swim towards you. Raise your sails, keep distance and shoot.

You need around 70-80 ballistas spears to kill one whale (I usually take around 120 in case of bugs etc). When around 30-40% hp whale will turn around and start to submerge. You just stop and wait until he back. Keep your distance and shoot.

I personally made both solo with just a schooner and 2 ballistas on stern. I had 3 crew - one was on big speed sail control, another two - were shooting in automatic mode : )

p.s. - In polar region whale aggro you as soon as they see you. So you sail around - and when you see healt-bar underwater - turn around and keep you distance : )

This is about right... just when it turns away or submerges, go back to it. Range control is key.  Close but not too close. Stay in bolt range but out of its range. I used a schooner solo with 6 crew and 4 billistas. Dive suit to loot.