Sign in to follow this  
randomname2090

Ships need a revamp

I have been playing this game for about a week now and I have to admit I am a little disappointed by the lack of design options for some ships. I know this isn't real life but sloops in some cases carried 8-16+ guns. I think you need to redesign some of the ships or redesign or implement new styles of cannons that are smaller in size that allow you to have more cannons/gun ports on certain ships I mean the brig only naturally has 12 cannons IRL they carried 18+ some times. I shouldn't  have to make my ship look like a layered cake to have 20 guns.

Edited by randomname2090

Whilst I'd love to see more ship types and more variation, you can already add more cannons to any of the ships that just the number of gun ports they have.  Only large cannons have to go in gun ports, the normal ones can be placed elsewhere.    You will notice a lot of players will build platforms at the back & front and have multiple cannons on there. I've also seen ones with build up structure the length of the ship giving them 2nd or 3rd gun decks.

Gotta admit though, I like how I designed my 42 gun war brig though, it kinda utilizes armor and functionality. 11 broadside guns, 13 rear deck, and 8 to the front. Could add another 5 guns to the broadside, but those spots will be reserved for the ballistas when I start heading into the northern zones. But yer right, the ship kinda resembles a floating hotel with guns, or maybe an armed cruiseliner of sorts, But it is home away from home, well, you really don't have a home other than the ship on SP anyway. And I couldn't build a ship like mine on officials since I use different mods that increase the build structures on the ship. But I have a crew quarter section, an officer quarter section, a privy with a bathtub, a crew mess, plus the bottom deck is for all the storage. I have to use a mod that allows the ship to carry more weight than normal because you can't build blueprinted items without a lot of different mats, and the game tends to eat the mats you collect if you try to leave it at a base, and then leave the zone to go collect more. You have to find workarounds for the unfunctionality of the coding, and my workaround is to carry all the mats I collect with me on one ship. And even then I often find that I am missing stuff that I've collected. I had about 10 extra mythical gunports I had in my repair chest in case I lost a gunport I could replace it on the fly, well, the game ate them, so I had to make regular gunports since I had run out of mats to make more mythicals, and the game ate those as well. Every time I log in I have to make more.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, randomname2090 said:

I have been playing this game for about a week now and I have to admit I am a little disappointed by the lack of design options for some ships. I know this isn't real life but sloops in some cases carried 8-16+ guns. I think you need to redesign some of the ships or redesign or implement new styles of cannons that are smaller in size that allow you to have more cannons/gun ports on certain ships I mean the brig only naturally has 12 cannons IRL they carried 18+ some times. I shouldn't  have to make my ship look like a layered cake to have 20 guns.

You don't say what platform or where you play, but there are mods that can be used in single player, non-dedicated, and unofficial servers. Several different mods add new ship types. I've yet to try any of these, but just reading about them, some look interesting.