Sign in to follow this  
Blackknight6714

New player game borked

New player just looking for a bit of guidance. I'm an old ARK player so I bought this game on steam on the suggestion of my brother... I figured to learn the game I'd just activate cheat mode and fiddle around a bit. I built up a little base for safety on a pirate island (2 camps) just NE of M7 and turned off cheating to give the game a go... lo and behold I can't spend skill points or craft anything. 

I know I have to learn the skills before I can craft but therein lie the problem... I have 11 levels available, leveled 1 time, went to skills to spend the 8 points, click "the basics" and I hear the sound for learning a skill but it does not light up not does my available points decrease by the cost of 1. Oddly when I attempt to buy "the basics" it says I likewise have to buy it's prerequisite for (1) points. ???

Anywho, I agree but nothing happens and I'm just, for lack of a better term, totally borked... does using the cheat options totally bork the game forever? Was this by design or have I found some weird bug?

Fyi, I tried logging, dying and respawning, restarting the game, and validating steam files... no joy. 

Thought?

This skill system is a bit confusing for someone coming from ARK. This page describes the skills:

https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Skills

Things are color coded with a colored thin lined box around each skill. If the box is green, you have that skill. If there is no colored box around the skill, you have not learned the prerequisite for that skill. If you start with the left most tab for skill (I think it is called survival), you can start at the top and then each time you learn a skill pay attention as to whether it unlocks a new tab. If it does, then when you select that tab, the top item should now have a colored box around it (I think it is orange). You learn that skill and the box goes green and it unlocks skills below it that you can learn.

So I think what you were doing was trying to learn skills that are locked behind prerequisite skills. 

Edited by wildbill