mattcscz

How can you hire and be okay with such terrible programmers?

I've played atlas now for a year and you know what? I love it, however...

What really suprises me and annoys me about Atlas is that at its core, it's amazing, it's an amazing concept and is excuted in a way that allows memorable and fun player moments, which nearly every single game released to date misses, but what really purplexes me is how programmers can constantly mess up and write bugs for something extremely trival, I'm curious to question if Grapeshot QA actually exists. As somebody who has released multiple AAA titles, it confuses beyond the point of belief, it can't be, yet seems so plausible.

For example, trying to tame an Elephant. What really seems weird in this gif is that the client seems to think that feeding the Elephant is completely possible (it's highlighted and an option), yet when I press E nothing happens, I move a little closer and the Elephant hits me, so what is really happening here? My general thought is the client and the server are NOT aligned but I get hit at the correct points, so to my disbelief it is literally down to extremely poor client or server programming, how does a game that makes $100m allow this to happen? literally any kid on a computer science course could write this better and shows either a huge discompassionate attitude toward the games or just the inability to do it correctly, which is truely sad.

f78ba416877d1d1460fad47a1ff3678b.gif

How can you play for a year and not know this is the worst way to tame an elephant? Get a fucking bear and bola the elephant while sitting on it. You dont need pens, it makes them buggy. Also ure feeding it from the WRONG side.  I've never had any issues with taming an elephant and i tamed dozens since last christmas. Not even gonna talk about devs, this gif was frustrating enough, seeing how bad u are after a year of playing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, ave26 said:

How can you play for a year and not know this is the worst way to tame an elephant? Get a fucking bear and bola the elephant while sitting on it. You dont need pens, it makes them buggy. Also ure feeding it from the WRONG side.  I've never had any issues with taming an elephant and i tamed dozens since last christmas. Not even gonna talk about devs, this gif was frustrating enough, seeing how bad u are after a year of playing.

The point of the gif was to illustrate a basic fundemental of irregularities between client and server which is beyond easy to fix but given such little effort to rectify; the penn in this situation is irrelevent, these sorts of things are littered throughout Atlas, the annoying thing isn't taming an elephant but the fact the game could be one of the best in existence with a little TLC.

Also your contrast of support is somewhat strange, you're agaisnt it in other posts but aggressive and defensive in another; you literally agree with my post in another reply, are you okay? " Probably working on another game. Almost a year and there are still so many huge issues which were there at day one. This game is unfixable. Sad, I was so hyped about Atlas. "

Edited by mattcscz
  • Thanks 1

Never said I dont agree with you. It was just too hard not to notice the irony of you calling someone incompetent while showing a gif of you being incompetent.  As I said, i cba talking about devs anymore, they dont listen.  They got your money, you're not important anymore. 

Pens are bugged but you can still tame in them, its all I tame in. Can't be bothered riding on a bear to tame, should cut that out of the game altogether.

Never tried using the signs but sick of seeing them spammed everywhere. I make a pen and as it turns in the pen just move around. This bug has been in the game for months, I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed.

A good dev team would have ironed these issues out already so its no secret they are not the best at making games. 

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

This bug has been in the game for months, I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed.

Have you heard or seen anything great from the developers lately? I have the impression that they have given up the game, after they have ripped off with the Xbox players.

I have my doubts that the game is still something. The development is somehow quiet and I see nothing on the horizon, what could make it better. Ark also had his problems, but there was a roadmap and the game progressed in small steps forward. For at least half a year Atlas has not seen any appreciable development.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca

There is a constant DSYNC in game, even if you are in the Sweet spot, it can kick/teleport you (rubberband without moving) into the elephants aggro range. Happens often.
You have the same not working feeding options for monkeys, giraffes, tigers and others. Not as bad but still.

Desync became worse and worse with every optimization they did. Their QA is terrible, and became even worse with the new guidence for handling customer bug reports.
Now the AI is also lagging, sometimes it feels like its processing rate is like 1fps.

We are the QA.. lmao...  youd think after a year of playing and getting shit on by these devs you would know how this shit works by now.  They say theyre working on bug fixes and optimization right now in the road map... but honestly reading the patch notes.. i dont see shit. i dont even think theyre working on this game right now... i think they push out a turd on this game once in a while and then go right back to working on ark. theyve made more dlc packs for ark in the past year than theyve ever worked on this game.

population keeps dying out and nothing changes. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

plus, now everything must be microsoft approved before release.

xbox seemed like a giant clusterfug step in counter productivity.

i kinda hope they sell it off to an indie company and let true artists get it finished without the corporate stick in the bumb.

With the way this works, I have never actually tamed an elephant. Was waiting for this to be fixed. Looks like I may never tame one ever.

2 minutes ago, wildbill said:

With the way this works, I have never actually tamed an elephant. Was waiting for this to be fixed. Looks like I may never tame one ever.

It's by no mean perfect but also not hard to work around this. I have 3 currently. You could tame one today if you wanted. There has been 100's of posts of how to tame one and he is not doing it from the correct side.

True, as he is pointing how it shows a feed option where it may not feed. Still, walk to the other side, between its legs and it works. I think the OP is making a bigger point.

plus his character is in attack mode, im pretty sure you cant do jack in this game in attack mode, hell you cant even mount a tame in attack mode.

8 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

We are the QA.. lmao...  youd think after a year of playing and getting shit on by these devs you would know how this shit works by now.  They say theyre working on bug fixes and optimization right now in the road map... but honestly reading the patch notes.. i dont see shit. i dont even think theyre working on this game right now... i think they push out a turd on this game once in a while and then go right back to working on ark. theyve made more dlc packs for ark in the past year than theyve ever worked on this game.

population keeps dying out and nothing changes. 

population is dying cause your offline raiding lawless bobs, nobody is crazy enough to keep farming stuff to have a cannon bear destroy there stuff and have everything thrown on the ground. the new bobs should get raid timers like everyone else, and the timers should be based off how many people are in there tribe. 1-3 people 3 hour window, 3-6 5 hour window ect ect.

3 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Not even a full page in and everyone is arguing about crap that has nothing to do with the op. 

Truth!

Likely most, if not all of the developers are working on Ark code that is set up like a house of cards. They can probably barely understand it themselves and probably curse the original architects every day they are forced to work on it. Working on legacy code, the only thing safe to fix is trivial things at the periphery of the systems.

Not all quality of life fixes are important - ones the playerbase has found reasonable workarounds for are not a priority. People will find a way. For example taming, people know you have to feed in a certain spot and use any-other-tame to hold aggro while you never take any damage yourself.

There are of course still dozens of little bugs and issues in the game, but I have noticed some fixes. For example, they fixed your character being deleted when using Climbing Picks. You used to just randomly black screen and your character would delete if you used climbing picks and somehow got a 'hook' under the mesh or something. This is no longer the case, and this means wearing good gear isn't a risk in terms of dying to an unrecoverable situation. This is the kind of bug that should be worked on because there is no workaround for it and players such as myself would avoid wearing good gear because there was no way to recover a body or anything. You just die/delete to black screen. And they fixed that issue.

There are a few more issues they have fixed which I have noticed, critical ones.

I do fully agree, with some TLC and having someone go through and clean up a lot of the buggy aspects of the game, the feel would be so much better. Having a tame on a ship for example, when going fast, the tame's hitbox floats behind the client-shown position, so you can trap yourself in weird spots when travelling fast if you don't put your tames in a nice spot. Or large animals having such large hitboxes they push and move you in weird ways. To being able to K-view through terrain - why is this even an option to have a skycam in a PvP game? To the UI blocking text, to the insanely convoluted skill tree, and so on. They need to go over it all with a fine tooth comb. But at least, the major game breaking stuff has been sorted out quickly. That's important.

With the meta shifting to "just glide with explosive barrels onto your enemy lol" I expect that to get changed fairly quickly. We'll see how they react. I'm looking forward to any large patch they push out here before Christmas. Really hoping for something really interesting for their 1-year anniversary; hopefully that is why they've been so quiet recently.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, Tezcatlipoca said:

Have you heard or seen anything great from the developers lately? I have the impression that they have given up the game, after they have ripped off with the Xbox players.

I have my doubts that the game is still something. The development is somehow quiet and I see nothing on the horizon, what could make it better. Ark also had his problems, but there was a roadmap and the game progressed in small steps forward. For at least half a year Atlas has not seen any appreciable development.

I have said from the very beginning I don't think the game is in the right hands meaning devs, they don't even seem to be organised with showing road maps or streaming.

Yes I think they tried to make some quick money with the xbox, they have admitted on stream themselves it hasn't gone as good as they'd expected, what a surprise. I've been playing since it was released, last December I believe and by now I would have expected to see more things in the game including items, not the odd few cosmetics.

If this game was released by a big dev team like Blizzard or ZeniMax then I'd have more confidence in it. I'd happily pay a subscription every month if it went down those lines but only if there was a whole lot of stuff in the game like other MMO's quests, items, trading etc. This dev team will not finish this game anywhere near what is in my mind at least and probably many others.

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

I have said from the very beginning I don't think the game is in the right hands meaning devs,

Agreed, the key problems here are decision making and priorities. Everything else stems from that.

It's really a shame. This game has great art work and a great theme. I would not say it's the dev team. A life time in management tells me, when a project is going south, it's always the top person running it.

Not sure if it was mentioned cause I only read part way down, but...

If you tame in pairs it's a lot easier. Have someone stand far away with a bow and attack/bola the tame.

The 2nd person, who should not touch the animal AT ALL except to feed it, should not trigger the animal to attack when approaching it at that point. Cause dude #1 takes all the aggro.

1 hour ago, Myrmidon said:

If you tame in pairs it's a lot easier. Have someone stand far away with a bow and attack/bola the tame.

The 2nd person, who should not touch the animal AT ALL except to feed it, should not trigger the animal to attack when approaching it at that point. Cause dude #1 takes all the aggro.

Ah, never thought of it that way. This explains why taming using a tame that has a lot of hit points works. You get the agro onto your tame and then when you feed it, it doesn't attack you. (At least I assume it works that way, I've never tried to do it that way.)

Edited by wildbill

BTW, talking about terrible programming.

I stopped playing Atlas over six months ago, but I'm considering playing a bit of single player or non-dedicated.

The one bug I recall that was very annoying was using the menu to load a tame onto a boat and it would just disappear and then you get a message a few seconds later that it died (apparently it was teleported up above the map).

Has that bug been fixed?

10 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I stopped playing Atlas over six months ago, but I'm considering playing a bit of single player or non-dedicated.

The one bug I recall that was very annoying was using the menu to load a tame onto a boat and it would just disappear and then you get a message a few seconds later that it died (apparently it was teleported up above the map).

Has that bug been fixed?

Yes, I load tons of tames using this method.  They also have seemed to refine a lot of the issues about whistling crew (as well as tames) onto and off of the boat.  They definately don't just zip into space anymore or get stuck like they used to.  At least thats my experience.

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

Has that bug been fixed?

Yes that bug has been fixed, has been fixed for months now.

You can teleport them on ships no problem, they don't vanish. I've not had 1 problem seen they fixed it.

How about it not taking multiple attempts to equip a hatchet, pick axe, climbing pick,weapon etc.  The animation shows it seemingly equip the item, then when you go to use it you punch the tree.  This seems like something simple to fix but is annoying as hell.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:34 AM, ave26 said:

What does this even have to do with the specific points that OP addressed in his post?!

The real question here is: Why the fuck does this stupid pile of bugs even show the press E to feed hint when it is impossible to do so?

The players can be as smart or as dumb as they want, there is no magical threshold where this will only happen to you if you're less intelligent than that.

This bullshit exists only because of the almost amazing inability of the developers.

22 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

A life time in management tells me, when a project is going south, it's always the top person running it.

Do you think it was Jeremy who gave us the borked up shader code that produces chunky blocks of visual artifacts around the sails when you're surrounded by fog, too?

The whole project as such is displaying massive amounts of technical inaptitude.