Sign in to follow this  
Murillo

Offline protection

So, got my ship destroyed while I was offline. I'm sad that I have to grind for 8 hours to build a ship only to wake up to see it destroyed.

I want a answer from de devs about what they will do about this or if they'll do anything at all. Please answer me about your vision about this problem sonI can decide wether or not i'll continue to play this game.

Thank you.

Only 2 options for this currently, make friends with someone who has land, and settle there and only have 9 hours a day your ship can be destroyed or, increase resistance alot so that you can park in the Freeport and repair it twice a day. Over 240% resist and likely just repair once per day. 

On 11/29/2019 at 5:00 AM, Murillo said:

So, got my ship destroyed while I was offline. I'm sad that I have to grind for 8 hours to build a ship only to wake up to see it destroyed.

I want a answer from de devs about what they will do about this or if they'll do anything at all. Please answer me about your vision about this problem sonI can decide wether or not i'll continue to play this game.

Thank you.

1. If that happened in lawless region: Your fault. Lawless has no peace timer, and isnt supposed to be your forever home.
2. If that happened on a claimed island: Your fault. Combat time is 9 hrs a day. You can easily make friends who have overlapping peace timers to ask if you can park your boat there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/2/2019 at 10:12 AM, Dingiva said:

1. If that happened in lawless region: Your fault. Lawless has no peace timer, and isnt supposed to be your forever home.
2. If that happened on a claimed island: Your fault. Combat time is 9 hrs a day. You can easily make friends who have overlapping peace timers to ask if you can park your boat there.

That is a very short sighted thought process.

Say you are out exploring an island and need to log off for a few mins, or can't get back to your ship in time and someone comes by and planks your ship. This is going to drive away the new xbox crowd fast as soon as that new car smell of the game wears off for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiskeyBarrel said:

That is a very short sighted thought process.

Say you are out exploring an island and need to log off for a few mins, or can't get back to your ship in time and someone comes by and planks your ship. This is going to drive away the new xbox crowd fast as soon as that new car smell of the game wears off for them.

Make friends or be quick. You can't expect to be safe everywhere just cause you want/need to log off.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Myrmidon said:

Make friends or be quick. You can't expect to be safe everywhere just cause you want/need to log off.

You wouldn't be safe. All your gear and items on your ship would still be at risk but I suggest not being able to lose your ship in ~10 mins when it's green anchored. I know it's prob hard to understand if your a moms house basement dweller, but ppl have lives and losing your ship that takes a day to rebuild every time you have to unexpectedly step out for a bit WILL drive away the pop again. Your supporting/promoting design flaws that will drive this game under, again.

• Like 2

Real Life, Low Life, No Life... this game is not for you... if you are unable to park safely or not have any company members to spawn over watching your ship or bring it somewhere save... it is called MMO and it is PVP...

And that is not what is killing the game, when you step out for 10mins and your ship is parked 'somewhere'...
What is killing the game is, when you log off for the night and there is nothing (not talking peace timer which is still too short and should not exist) in your own base/harbor that can actually protect your ship... at that point people realize there is nothing they can do to come back tomorrow and continue...

totally different problem than you leaving the wheel... that is why some need a written reminder that the cruise control in their camper cannot be used to auto pilot down the highway while they go back to use the microwave oven to dry their cat...

• Sad 1

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario. There was a thread yesterday where someone was praising the game because he could play however he wanted with ultimate freedom, and insisted that we need more of that, then on the same thread complained because people could kill his ships! 
so he wants the freedom to play completely unrestricted but wants artificial restrictions placed on others so he can do that?? There’s an irony there that makes it difficult to show any pity towards his plight.

The game is advertised as a survival MMO,  and admittedly it’s not easy to get anywhere in Atlas PvP servers on your own/duo, but it is doable with a bit of effort, careful planning, and forward thinking. 
Over half the people I see in game complaining about having ships/bases raided (Particularly in lawless) have left them out in the open, single skinned, unprotected and zero effort made to make them awkward for any would be attackers, hell, they haven’t even tried to hide them!

that is the nature of the genre, when we were living on lawless, we made friends with our neighbours and watched each other’s backs, in the neighbouring sectors we kept track of the islands peace timers and moved ships accordingly after striking up a relationship with the island owners,  we had an impressive, heavily fortified base that was nothing more than a decoy to attract attention, and force raiders to waste their cannon balls and explosives, while our actual goodies were stored in a small hidden base elsewhere, any active defences were protecting decoy stores with nothing more than some base resources in and some tools. If I knew I had to log off , it literally took ten minutes to move my ship somewhere safe. Our tames were on the roof of the decoy base which was designed to be intentionally difficult to get into, so not really worth the effort to kill.
misdirection and planning are key in a survival MMO.

we were 4 people, only 2 really active, and we thrived. Admittedly it wasn’t easy and took a lot of trial and error, but it’s the nature of the beast if you log onto A PVP server in an open world, free roaming survival game! 

let’s assume for a minute the devs caved and offered some sort of offline protection for everyone. What does everyone do then? 
at any given time, 2/3rds of everything will be protected, also, it will be abused. I’m not an aggressive player, I will only attack those who provoke me. If someone attacks me, I start getting the upper hand, Can he just log off to prevent the repercussions?? How is that fairer than the current system??

as a final note, half the people that complain about being offlined in game, think nothing of raiding others who are offline ive seen this often.
If you do want to play the game with effortless safety, there is a mechanic in place for that, it’s called PVE. If you do want to play PvP with minimal effort, you can’t really be surprised when you are at the bottom of the food chain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

lmao never seen something so pathetic if you don't have a brain to build a defended port before you go investing in big ships its your own fault it only takes 1hr or 2 to build a little puckle tower on shore next to your boat don't invest in offensive war ships before you have a foot hold on a island its simple if you keep failing its the way you play I think its fine the way they got it most of the time people do things in the wrong order land base/port before you go building 8hr plus ships simple your going about it the wrong way lmfao if you want offline protection go play pve or better yet go back to ark and play your boosted servers with offline protection and a admin that can have a melt down go on a power trip and talk trash to anyone who views it any different to him defences before offensive simple enough said 

Edited by Iron1992
missing advice
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TerrorTrooper said:

I’m not an aggressive player, I will only attack those who provoke me. If someone attacks me, I start getting the upper hand, Can he just log off to prevent the repercussions?? How is that fairer than the current system??

If there was a system in place where your ship did not sink and become unusable in ~3 feet of water, the game would be more solo/duo/small crew friendly IMO. Its not fun or realistic that you can't restore your ship after an offline planking. For the attacker you still have access to kill the char, take all items off them and the ship, and cause max damage to the ship if you wanted. But the ship owner should still always be able to recover the ship without having to salvage and start over from scratch.

Maybe something like a wench n pulley could be added. So you could use that to pull your ship out of the water in time to replace a couple missing planks. I'm for any mechanic that is not too carebear but lifts the game out of such a griefer state and promotes actual online pvp.

edit: also I actually really dislike the current offline protection system. Its super unrealistic and very carebear. And it does not help solo/small crews from being griefed in the earliest part of the game which is the most important for a healthy, sustainable pop. I've always hated artificial timers in games like this. All I want is a way to not have my ship sunk overnight and be unrecoverable. At least its fun to farm up items. The plank grind is what gets me.

Edited by WhiskeyBarrel
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiskeyBarrel said:

If there was a system in place where your ship did not sink and become unusable in ~3 feet of water, the game would be more solo/duo/small crew friendly IMO. Its not fun or realistic that you can't restore your ship after an offline planking. For the attacker you still have access to kill the char, take all items off them and the ship, and cause max damage to the ship if you wanted. But the ship owner should still always be able to recover the ship without having to salvage and start over from scratch.

Maybe something like a wench n pulley could be added. So you could use that to pull your ship out of the water in time to replace a couple missing planks. I'm for any mechanic that is not too carebear but lifts the game out of such a griefer state and promotes actual online pvp.

edit: also I actually really dislike the current offline protection system. Its super unrealistic and very carebear. And it does not help solo/small crews from being griefed in the earliest part of the game which is the most important for a healthy, sustainable pop. I've always hated artificial timers in games like this. All I want is a way to not have my ship sunk overnight and be unrecoverable. At least its fun to farm up items. The plank grind is what gets me.

that’s actually one of the better ideas I’ve heard that addresses both sides of it! Fair play! 
say you hoist your ship up, it’s still lootable but at least you keep the ship. You just need to repair it.

It really doesn't address anything. Many times ship hulls are salvaged and taken or popcorned. All that work to program and animate such a process for what - a once in a blue moon event?

We can already salvage a ship and get most of the resources back - IF its not popcorned.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:17 AM, TerrorTrooper said:

If someone attacks me, I start getting the upper hand, Can he just log off to prevent the repercussions?? How is that fairer than the current system??

Well. Since you asked:

If he logged out and there was a 5 minute period where his ship can still be attacked while being driverless, you could go on and win that fight that was already happening. There would be no fucking need to have a bogging 9hr period where you could search the whole fucking atlas for him, destroy all of his ships, buildings, tames and remove the very last remains which ever indicated his existence before he even knew there was any threat.

Offline PvP is NOT PvP!!!

It is asshole vs someone who has no idea that he even was in a fight, and who has no means to fight back because he isn't present.

Aka a shitty game for shitty people.

Peace out

Edited by user1
  • Thanks 1

This is the reason many play on pve servers. I understand the off-lining is game play for some but I don't see this as something I'd enjoy. Fighting is fighting and all good but off-lining someone's efforts away while they sleep? I'll pass.

From a development point of view I'd look at building in some form of save haven areas. Maybe every 3rd lawless zone. Areas not so interesting to play but a safe place to park over night.

Or a ship pack up/unpack system. Log in three days later, go to your shipyard npc... and say I'm back, rez my ship. Not suggesting that for large fleets but for the solo guy or small group.

Even EVE has stations you can park in while not playing where your ship is 99.9% safe.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:40 AM, WhiskeyBarrel said:

You wouldn't be safe. All your gear and items on your ship would still be at risk but I suggest not being able to lose your ship in ~10 mins when it's green anchored. I know it's prob hard to understand if your a moms house basement dweller, but ppl have lives and losing your ship that takes a day to rebuild every time you have to unexpectedly step out for a bit WILL drive away the pop again. Your supporting/promoting design flaws that will drive this game under, again.

Oh yeah, it always comes down to that. Its basically a "everyone who plays more than me has no life, no friends, and lives with his mommy"-discussion. Like in every other PvP game. Must be hurting if people who have a full time job, several pets, wife and kids and several other hobbies still manage to be better than you, eh?
You need to log off while going for discoveries, anchoring in dangerous grids? Plan your trip better. And dont tell me that what i wrote before is short sighted. Since you dont even realize that theres people from different timezones, players that work on nightshifts and therefore have other time frames where they can play. For you, they are basement dwellers, since they can harm you when you are offline.

What you want is something that protects you, but in the same situation, punishes other players. I play in a company with about 50 players. We all know each other from playing different games together.
Players like you will never be able to raid us, or sink our ships. The only chance you have is when we are offline. Guess what? The protection would affect us as well. When you are online, we could grief you anytime. Each day. As long as we want. And you wouldnt have a single chance to fight back. By how the system works for now, you could. While we are offline. It takes you a day to rebuild your ship? Waddafack? Takes me about 30 mins to farm myself a freaking ramshackle sloop, which is totally enough to travel several grids.

Guess what would happen if such an offline protection would work: Players would just run, making sure they have some time buffer, then log off - et voila, they cant be attacked anymore. Even if someone is so freaking bad at this game that he cant manage to farm himself a sloop real fast, he has the same possibilities as every other player: Spawn on lawless islands. Run around, claim random ships. I do this whenever i come by ships that seem to be abandoned. I have so many ships where i could spawn, since all i needed to do was to build a bed on claimed ships.
There is freaking x2/x3 farming events every weekend. Pretty easy to farm enough within 2 hours to have all the mats for at least one ship stashed in a storage box, just for the case of emergency.

You cant handle that? You cant farm that much? You cant find ingame-friends? You cant manage to secure your ship?

So, the game isnt made for you, i guess.

• Sad 1

On 12/11/2019 at 3:05 AM, Dingiva said:

Oh yeah, it always comes down to that. Its basically a "everyone who plays more than me has no life, no friends, and lives with his mommy"-discussion. Like in every other PvP game. Must be hurting if people who have a full time job, several pets, wife and kids and several other hobbies still manage to be better than you, eh?
You need to log off while going for discoveries, anchoring in dangerous grids? Plan your trip better. And dont tell me that what i wrote before is short sighted. Since you dont even realize that theres people from different timezones, players that work on nightshifts and therefore have other time frames where they can play. For you, they are basement dwellers, since they can harm you when you are offline.

What you want is something that protects you, but in the same situation, punishes other players. I play in a company with about 50 players. We all know each other from playing different games together.
Players like you will never be able to raid us, or sink our ships. The only chance you have is when we are offline. Guess what? The protection would affect us as well. When you are online, we could grief you anytime. Each day. As long as we want. And you wouldnt have a single chance to fight back. By how the system works for now, you could. While we are offline. It takes you a day to rebuild your ship? Waddafack? Takes me about 30 mins to farm myself a freaking ramshackle sloop, which is totally enough to travel several grids.

Guess what would happen if such an offline protection would work: Players would just run, making sure they have some time buffer, then log off - et voila, they cant be attacked anymore. Even if someone is so freaking bad at this game that he cant manage to farm himself a sloop real fast, he has the same possibilities as every other player: Spawn on lawless islands. Run around, claim random ships. I do this whenever i come by ships that seem to be abandoned. I have so many ships where i could spawn, since all i needed to do was to build a bed on claimed ships.
There is freaking x2/x3 farming events every weekend. Pretty easy to farm enough within 2 hours to have all the mats for at least one ship stashed in a storage box, just for the case of emergency.

You cant handle that? You cant farm that much? You cant find ingame-friends? You cant manage to secure your ship?

Ah. The obligatory "i found 50 sick, sociopathic wankers who enjoy griefing other people the same as i do, and i fail to see the fucking problem" post.

A Classic!

So if someone gathered enough bullies to come by your house and beat you up every night when you are asleep, you'd be fine with that?

I mean.. They'd outnumber you easily, and given enough combat proficiency, you would never be able to hurt any of them back, so that should be A-OK in your book, right?

I'm sure not being able to have any fun is a sacrifice you'd be more than happy to make, knowing it will benefit the rest of us so greatly.

I posted in another thread but thought about it more since this talks about offline protection.  What if the devs changed the map to have the 4 edge grids PvE, the rest of the islands pvp but break it up to different levels of protection ending at the H8 zone which would have a large land mass with all resources but no protection timer and make an incentive to hold that island.  Have very few free ports and allow spawning in at any pve grid.  This would allow companies that got destroyed in the pvp grids an area to fall back to with protection while working their way to the center and give the players that want offline protection or frankly have lives outside of a game a place to build a ship not lose it in a few hours  go fight other players.

Mr Rogers, the problem you're going to run into is that any balance change to help small companies is going to help large companies more. If you create completely safe zones that doesn't require constant attention to repairs(Like Freeports now - every 6 hours or less) then large companies are just going to stick their ships there and now smaller companies have 0 chance of doing damage to them. Compared to now where a single player, if they're smart, can sink ships in a harbor with a cannon bear against a company of larger size. There are plenty of ways to mitigate the risk of getting wiped now. If your boat is getting sunk or you're getting wiped every day - you need to assess how you're playing and make some better choices.

Yea any balance change will help larger companies,  but at the same time will give small companies a chance to save stuff.  I'm trying to think of when the game get a full release, right now I would say based off of steam logins the Population is less than 2-3K on the official servers. Lets say population in pvp triples and each zone has 30-40 people what would be the chance your progress is safe nightly.  there are a lot of other ways to they could make PvP more attractive to the mass players.

Limit company size to 20-30 people

No alliances

10 - 15  ship max limit per company for all zones ( quality is better than quantity approach)

On 12/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, user1 said:

Ah. The obligatory "i found 50 sick, sociopathic wankers who enjoy griefing other people the same as i do, and i fail to see the fucking problem" post.

A Classic!

So if someone gathered enough bullies to come by your house and beat you up every night when you are asleep, you'd be fine with that?

I mean.. They'd outnumber you easily, and given enough combat proficiency, you would never be able to hurt any of them back, so that should be A-OK in your book, right?

I'm sure not being able to have any fun is a sacrifice you'd be more than happy to make, knowing it will benefit the rest of us so greatly.

I wouldnt be fine with that. But im one of those players who adapts the situation. If i need to make friends to compete - ill do it. Im not one of those anti-social "fk that sheet, im gonna stay in my 4 man company because we r cooler than everyone else and everyone who beats us is unemployed, cheats und hacks anyways"-bobs.
But well... obviously, for you, everyone else that manages to gather more than just a few people around himself is a sociopatic wanker. Jesus christ. What if i said "you are just a sociopathic wanker who is so narcisstic that he doesnt accept other players in his base/company"? Same thing. No proof, just "mimimi qq i need a reason why you suck and im better than you mimimi qq".

Ingame, i come across so many grids, where people settle, but dont even communicate with each other. I guess in 2019, nearly 2020, people prefer to sit in their single-minded comfort zone, aight?

The one who doesnt see the fucking problem is just one person: You.
Get over it. Massive multiplayer online games arent made for small groups. They give us the possibility to play together with lots of other players. Thats what they are made for.

Even about 20 years ago, you had up to 15 teammates, in counter strike. Now, 20 years later, the idea of playing together with a large group of players, who may be friends in real life, has to be changed because of... well, because of whom? Some people who dont want to talk to others? At least, thats my experience in the game.
When someone places a bed on one of our islands, i destroy it. I even sink his ship. I dont care. He is red to me. He is a potential enemy. And wonder what: After i destroy the beds or sink them, they start to talk in the chat. Flaming, crying. What they dont realize: They could have avoided that by just a fking sentence in the chat BEFORE they place their beds. "Hi, im friendly, i just want to place a discovery bed on your island".
But obviously, thats too much for most players these days. Just afterwards, they manage to cry in the chat, flooding it with their idiotic brainstuff - THATS not too much for them, it seems. They can write 50 sentences afterwards, but arent able to write ONE fking sentence in before? Thats exactly the behavior of those small group players.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:15 AM, Mr. Rogers said:

Yea any balance change will help larger companies,  but at the same time will give small companies a chance to save stuff.  I'm trying to think of when the game get a full release, right now I would say based off of steam logins the Population is less than 2-3K on the official servers. Lets say population in pvp triples and each zone has 30-40 people what would be the chance your progress is safe nightly.  there are a lot of other ways to they could make PvP more attractive to the mass players.

Limit company size to 20-30 people

No alliances

10 - 15  ship max limit per company for all zones ( quality is better than quantity approach)

That wouldnt change anything. The same people that dont stand a chance with their small 5-man-group would still cry because they get outnumbered. Its always the same. In every game.

For now, like 80% of the playerbase is organized in larger companies and alliances. Obviously, its the majority of players. The whole discussion is about a change of the mechanics, because the minority isnt happy.
No Alliances? So what? That doesnt hinder me to communicate with other companies, that doesnt hinder me from not attacking specific companies. And the ship limit? If we had a 30 player limit - basically half of the players would be forced not to own a ship? Why?
Who dares to tell the vast majority of players "Nah, you cant have personal ships in your company, because litte justin doesnt want that"?

To limit the possibilities of a game, just because the absolute minority of players cant handle the system as it is - is that really what we want?

Guess what: Like 15 players that joined us later on or are allied with our company were raided by us before. We didnt force them to join, we didnt force them to ally with us. We just had nice conversations.

But i guess, most of those people who need special treatments like extra offline protection and stuff are more the "HAHAHA IM GONNA DESPAWN ALL MY STUFF HAHAHAHAHAHA!" type of players, the most idiotic type of players of course. They think that my company, our allies or personally me will be p*ssed if they do so. They just ignore the fact that we dont care. Just because we know: they just behave like that because they are p*ssed way more than we could ever be.

Edited by Dingiva

On 12/10/2019 at 6:05 PM, Dingiva said:

You mindless moron! What a great perspective...So because the game suits your playstyle taste, you think that the game has absolutely ZERO room for improvement nor game-changes?

Because of yours and other mindless players' idiotic suggestions, the devs have been misguided into thinking that they were building a game for the masses when they were unknowingly building a miserable wretch of a game for a tiny community of 12 assholes, just like yourself and a small army of Asian-bots. The rest of the masses have moved on to other, more enjoyable and better-designed games.

GG!, enjoy this deceased corpse of a game with your 11 other asshole friends and that army of Asian bots...

RIP Atlas...

Edited by vaylain

I think most of the people that are here, and have stayed, want the hardcore PvP experience. If we wanted another theme park - there are many to choose from. While this game still lives, I'll continue enjoying winning and losing with my 11 asshole friends.

6 hours ago, vaylain said:

You mindless moron! What a great perspective...So because the game suits your playstyle taste, you think that the game has absolutely ZERO room for improvement nor game-changes?

Because of yours and other mindless players' idiotic suggestions, the devs have been misguided into thinking that they were building a game for the masses when they were unknowingly building a miserable wretch of a game for a tiny community of 12 assholes, just like yourself and a small army of Asian-bots. The rest of the masses have moved on to other, more enjoyable and better-designed games.

GG!, enjoy this deceased corpse of a game with your 11 other asshole friends and that army of Asian bots...

RIP Atlas...

Actually, its 46 asshole asian bot friends, not 11.

Btw. the devs havent been misguided. You just need to accept that YOU are not a part of the MAJORITY of the players. Of course, you dont like to hear that. But obviously, the devs do whatever matches what the majority of players want. If they dont do what you want - you´re the minority. Deal with it. Thats the difference between you and other players: other players still play this game, they adapt the situation, and they arrange with the situation. While you sit in your chair, complain "the game isnt like i want it to be!", spam the forum and quit to play other games - where you complain as well, for sure.

Edited by Dingiva