Sign in to follow this  
Salty Del

Why you shouldn’t leave your ships anchored in the Golden Age regions.

I’ve seen this happen a few times already, and I want to make sure the new players are aware of this.

The freeports have a message at the bottom of the screen informing you that ships take extra damage while in the freeports. This is very important to know, as when we first started after launch there was no message, and we lost our first schooner and had no idea why.

What is not shown is that this also happens in the Golden Age ruins. I believe that it’s at a slower rate, but ships left unattended in the Golden Age ruins will decay and sink after a day or two. Crew will not maintain your ship in freeports or Golden Age regions.

Please keep this in mind when venturing into these areas, that once your adventure is over, you need to at least move to a nearby region to anchor your ship safely. 

This change was made a while back when people were leaving ships anchored in the Golden Age ruins for doing the Fountain of Youth runs. The area around the caves became littered with these ships, making it very difficult to enter that area because all of the ships would have to load in, as well as requiring you to anchor in further, probably more dangerous areas.

Happy adventuring!

Then maybe you can explain to me why my Schooner up and sank while playing singleplayer. I took over an island, killed all the pirates, although I haven't cleared the other islands in the grid yet, but I set up a base and shipyards, I parked my Schooner and my Sloop there, then went out in my Brig to gather mats from other regions. Came back to drop off some of my collections and my anchored schooner was showing to be sinking, I rush over and its missing planks, don't know how it lost them, it just did. I repaired it and drained all the water. Before leaving on my next jaunt, I placed one crew member on the boat and left. Upon my return, the schooner up and sank before I could dock, for no reason, it was anchored inside a large shipyard, protected, nothing underneath it. During my demolishing of the sunken ship I noticed it was missing 7 of my 10 cannons, although all the 12 ballistas were still present. So does things decay on singleplayer, and if so, then why did my Sloop, which was anchored near the Schooner not lose planks and sink for no reason, from what I can tell, there is no damage at all to the sloop, and it is parked inside a small shipyard.

Think I figured out why my ship sank. Was building another boat at my base, which is in a inlet cove in a tundra grid, and there are blue whales around. Apparently, while building a galleon, I get the music sounding and I look up in my bay and theres a whale trying to swim under my dock. Didn't think they would swim that close to land but they do. So the whales must of damaged my schooner at some point while I was away since it was parked inside the dock that the whale was swimming under. Fortunately, my whaling sloop parked nearby in a small ship dock was undamaged, was able to jump on it and put that whale down, along with his brothers that were swimming close by. Guess I'm gonna have to put up a jetty across my inlet to keep the whales out. Its deep water across there so it might take awhile and a lot of stone walls. Don't know yet if it can be done

Any ships that are full green anchor won't get damaged by whales. We've had them dance in our harbor before, coming up directly through the decks of the ships and no damage was inflicted.