Gemini Five

Long sea trips - Need fast travel

I don't see why if anyone likes atlas so much that adding fast travel would make them quit. I and many others wanted more styles of ship and more realistic builds but instead we just got more tames. Which is annoying cos that's why I don't get on with ark having nothing but taming to do most of the time. I joined cos it was going to be a pyrate mmo, now it clearly is not, I still haven't quit. If you want to find reasons to quit a game then you'll find one eventually anyway. Like lots of gamers with families I don't have 9 hours a day to play so yeh for me the sailing can be a pain. And if we all did the thing that was suggested by the people that can play all day, just quit, the game would be dead in 6 months anyway.

• Like 1

After 1300 hours of Atlas I can agree sailing should be less time consuming but adding fast travel would completely ruin the game for me. Size of the world is what makes this game so immersive to me. As I recommended few months ago they should just remove ship decay in freeports so you can safely park when you have to log out which allows you to continue the journey next day. If there was an option to park somewhere safely it would save me so much time because I'd not be forced to sail back everytime i travel somewhere far away. People will now say how it will get abused but tbh I dont care if other people in pvp are able to save their ships. It would add much more traffic and risk to travel from freeport to your base and thats exactly what I want rn, more ships and traffic which results in more sea battles. Also freeports shouldnt make ur ship immediately invulnerable but only when you anchor it for 5-15 minutes.

Edited by ave26

Yeh I agree like i've said before you can't just log out in the middle of sailing online, so you have to get somewhere safe, which for most people is an ally base or their own.

Edited by Whitehawk

i would still like to see all servers combined.

freeports are safe, lawless are full pvp, and the rest of world is pve or faction/guild wars.

the way it is currently set up with freeports surrounded by lawless i think would create an interesting play style. want to truly be safe? gotta risk going through pvp first. 

even better - if freeports had npc quests, bounties, and merchants (allowing the trading of resources for gold) then it would create high risk / high reward situations where fat merchant ships are sailing through pvp to earn big profits in the freeports.

game needs some sort of economy, faction, or bounty system to make the sea voyages truly rewarding.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:31 AM, Jack Shandy said:

To top tier ride, including commands 3, natures cry & touch 3 feats, you need taming 1&2, Advanced taming 1&2 and Breeding 1,2&3.

Thats a lot of taming and breeding knowledge to be good in the saddle.

Of course if they seperated them as they should, they would also need to redo the skill points so people wouldn't just be able to get every combat, riding, sailing and survival skill if they took no practical skills.

I agree.  I am not asking to be able to spec into every single combat skill, or into every single occupation, but it has to be understood that there are two sides to the game.  Production when not fighting, and fighting, both on land and at sea.  A lot of the stuff is just frustrating.  Why not break it up into categories, and give us points to spend in each category.

Making armor is an occupation.
Making weapons is an occupation.
Building both ships and buildings, is an occupation.
Taming and breeding animals is an occupation.
Cooking and farming is an occupation.

Using armor is a skill
Using weapons is a skill
Captaining/crewing ships is a skill
Riding animals is a skill

I'm not sure what's so hard about that.

I'm not sure why they resist giving us a skill tree that makes sense.  Break it into an occupation tree and a skill tree, and give us points for both.  When you are maxxed out, you should be able to have a significant portion of both trees.  Not 100%, but maybe 80 to 85% would be good.

I get frustrated when I need something, and nobody is around to make it, or perform the task. 

19 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

I don't see why if anyone likes atlas so much that adding fast travel would make them quit. I and many others wanted more styles of ship and more realistic builds but instead we just got more tames. Which is annoying cos that's why I don't get on with ark having nothing but taming to do most of the time. I joined cos it was going to be a pyrate mmo, now it clearly is not, I still haven't quit. If you want to find reasons to quit a game then you'll find one eventually anyway. Like lots of gamers with families I don't have 9 hours a day to play so yeh for me the sailing can be a pain. And if we all did the thing that was suggested by the people that can play all day, just quit, the game would be dead in 6 months anyway.

Fast travel would wreck the game.  It wrecks Conan Exiles.  Want fast travel, go there.  I can agree that the speed could be increased a little bit, but not a huge amount.  I like that the map is huge, and so people don't just quickly travel from their grid, to mine.  Conan Exiles sucks because it is too easy for people to cover that map.  Thus, everyone knows where everybody else's base is.  We tried to get started on several servers, but it is just too easy for the Alphas to find you, and raid you...constantly, so you never get a chance to build up.  If you are getting built up, it's because the Alphas are letting you.  Fast travel turns a large map into a very small map.

Fast travel in a single player game...sure, but in an MMO, no...just no.  It's hard enough to build up with a Mega or two in your area, harassing you.  Imagine if every Alpha in the game had the ability to get to you quick and easy?  No...just no.

And pirating?  I see that a lot.  But it could be better with NPC sailing ships to attack, and sink.   Making the flotsam more interesting would take some of the boredom away at sea.  As it is, most people just sail past it because it isn't worth it.

The key isn't fast travel...it's making the sea travel more fun...more things to do while at sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Making the flotsam more interesting would take some of the boredom away at sea.  As it is, most people just sail past it because it isn't worth it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think grapling flotsam gives your ship XP, My schooner has leveled up a couple times as I land the flotsam.

Now NPC's with accordians is a thing and a catwalk iether side of the ship so I can almost just drop the grapple onto the flotsam I'm getting a lot more, I still need to see if it's not just coinsidance.

A lot of the stuff is just frustrating.  Why not break it up into categories, and give us points to spend in each category.

I personally would love to see it different way.

You wanna tames for battle and construction? Fine. What if you don't? Right now there is just no alternative. No matter how mythic bp of armor and weapon and tools you've got - you will never match just an average bear. It runs faster, hit stronger, gather resources in no time.

So things I would love to see:

- Give everyone ability to tame and ride a horse with carriage behind (let it be some first "basic tools" skill for example) so everyone would be able to have simple transport to carry resources, golds from missions, etc. If anyone wanna more (pigs, bears etc) they have to use beast mastery.

- Give 2 skill tries of taming mastery. One for resources, gathering, carrying, speed, weight etc. Another - for fighting, health, hit strength, armor etc. So people who would like to use their tames to "sims-2" playstyle, wouldn't have to learn nature cry etc. 

- Make mythic armor, weapons, and tools - match or even exceed tames strength, so you if you just don't wanna this aspect of game - you know that with mythic tools and with help of basic horse you will be able to build a galleon the same time as if it would be with tames help. Or you would be able to solo high lvl treasure as if you would do it on bear's back).

That's where with limited skill-points, you will simply choice your playstyle and master it.

(I also don't really understand why some basic tools like Grille - hided in depth of skilltree like cooking (c'mon we learn to cook food here not to build oven from bricks. Or this food storage cabinet and resource box in captaining... we learn to command our ship here in most efficient way here, not to build cabinets and boxes) : ) It's like you find a job in Wallmart (or Trafford Centre, or any big mall) as a seller guy, and first thing you've been taught if how to construct goods shelves from wood, brick, plastic etc : )

Edited by George Catcher

I don't agree that fast travel has ruined conan exiles and i've played it since release and I'm the longest surviving player on the server i'm on. I played pvp for quite  a while too and it wasn't fast travel that was the problem or mega tribes, it was a small group of bored college kids that would wait till you were offline and blow up your buildings and kill all your thralls cos they had nothing to do.Then the purge that was totally broken and just afflicted everyone and destroyed my biggest base while I was offline.In Atlas I don't find the sailing boring, I just don't always have the time to sail for 2-3 hours a day. All that's gonna happen if people keep saying it's boring is, they will make the sailing more perilous by adding more dangers at sea, ok if you've played for ages but the new player won't stand a chance on his raft or ramshackle.

2 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

I don't agree that fast travel has ruined conan exiles and i've played it since release and I'm the longest surviving player on the server i'm on. I played pvp for quite  a while too and it wasn't fast travel that was the problem or mega tribes, it was a small group of bored college kids that would wait till you were offline and blow up your buildings and kill all your thralls cos they had nothing to do.Then the purge that was totally broken and just afflicted everyone and destroyed my biggest base while I was offline.In Atlas I don't find the sailing boring, I just don't always have the time to sail for 2-3 hours a day. All that's gonna happen if people keep saying it's boring is, they will make the sailing more perilous by adding more dangers at sea, ok if you've played for ages but the new player won't stand a chance on his raft or ramshackle.

I bet those bored college kids used fast travel to search the server for offline people.

You want that in atlas too?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I like that the map is huge, and so people don't just quickly travel from their grid, to mine.

There is no need to do so... But there is a need to travel many grids to get rare ressources or dig treasures. THIS is the real problem.

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

And pirating?  I see that a lot.  But it could be better with NPC sailing ships to attack, and sink.   Making the flotsam more interesting would take some of the boredom away at sea.  As it is, most people just sail past it because it isn't worth it.

The key isn't fast travel...it's making the sea travel more fun...more things to do while at sea.

No one in their right mind will stop today and if the value is not greatly improved, then nobody will. The truth is that it keeps the player from the actual goal of collecting resources or digging for treasure. Only very few players see their goal in aimlessly sailing from A to B. The majority pursue their own goals and are much more annoyed when you stop them.

No they used to wander naked around the whole map carrying explosives, in fact I made a map for people to use outside my main base and they never used it. In exiles the map isn't really that big and you can walk everywhere,  it doesn't take long really.

5 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

No they used to wander naked around the whole map carrying explosives, in fact I made a map for people to use outside my main base and they never used it. In exiles the map isn't really that big and you can walk everywhere,  it doesn't take long really.

Oh! ok. not played it myself.

So not a great example for whoever brought it up if fast travel and on foot isn't much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong the fast travel in conan is convenient at times, mainly to avoid major hassles or if I've only got half an hour and I need to visit some bases to stop decay. But the map is really small compared to atlas. Personally I want airships in the game anyway, i'd rather that than another loada tames.

5 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Fast travel would wreck the game.  It wrecks Conan Exiles.  Want fast travel, go there.  I can agree that the speed could be increased a little bit, but not a huge amount.  I like that the map is huge, and so people don't just quickly travel from their grid, to mine.  Conan Exiles sucks because it is too easy for people to cover that map.  Thus, everyone knows where everybody else's base is.  We tried to get started on several servers, but it is just too easy for the Alphas to find you, and raid you...constantly, so you never get a chance to build up.  If you are getting built up, it's because the Alphas are letting you.  Fast travel turns a large map into a very small map.

Fast travel in a single player game...sure, but in an MMO, no...just no.  It's hard enough to build up with a Mega or two in your area, harassing you.  Imagine if every Alpha in the game had the ability to get to you quick and easy?  No...just no.

Hmm, more people play Conan Exiles than Atlas, so fast travel hasn't been that bad for it. Also you don't say it, but you are only talking about PvP. Most people playing Conan are playing PvE and fast travel does not wreck anything in PvE. The key to making fast travel work, is that just like in Conan, you must visit the location the normal way the first time. After that, you get to use fast travel. For all those that think it would wreck PvP, it could be disabled for PvP.

53 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Hmm, more people play Conan Exiles than Atlas, so fast travel hasn't been that bad for it. Also you don't say it, but you are only talking about PvP. Most people playing Conan are playing PvE and fast travel does not wreck anything in PvE. The key to making fast travel work, is that just like in Conan, you must visit the location the normal way the first time. After that, you get to use fast travel. For all those that think it would wreck PvP, it could be disabled for PvP.

If they don't want an economy, trading or high level maps being a long ways off to be a thing, then by all means have fast travel. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

If they don't want an economy, trading or high level maps being a long ways off to be a thing, then by all means have fast travel. 

Right. Personally I don't want any of those things. I play single player and also plan to play non-dedicated with my wife. None of those are important for that type of play. When I do play on a server, I seldom interact with other players other than to admire their base. I do interact with people I've known for months, people I normally play with, but that is a small percentage of the players on a server and not enough for an economy or trading to exist.

I'd quess at least 50% of the other players I've been on a server with play in a similar fashion. I really think the main problem with Atlas player numbers, is they have designed the game to a very limited audience. That is fine, although it is not going to attract someone like me for long. I played a bit and tried my best to make the game work for me, but it just doesn't in so many ways (not just fast travel, but that is a big one).

It's true that not everyone likes doing all the things there are to do in the game.  I don't really like doing power stones or things that require a big coordinated group to do, mostly because I don't have time for it.  But the thing is, I don't expect to be able to have all those rewards because I didn't do the challenge.

Why do the people who don't like to travel and get the DPs expect to still get the DPs?  It's crap.  Do them and get the points or don't do them and don't get the points.

Otherwise, if you insist on demanding all the bonuses without having to do anything, I'll have to find a group to start bugging the devs about handing us the kraken rewards and all the powerstones just by going to a Freeport and asking some NPC for them.  It's no different really.  And what about the people who don't like having to build things?  We could have them hand out prebuilt barns, houses, towns, etc. until every island looks exactly the same and we can all build them in 10 minutes flat.  Instakill whales and sotd for people who don't like to do that part.  What have I left out?  Any other parts of the game people don't like?

• Like 1

As far as I know this topic was just about the sailing issues, I don't think anyone here has actually asked for the whole game to be easier. The solo vs company issue,meaning end game stuff  being boss locked etc I believe is still an ongoing debate elsewhere on this forum.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

It's true that not everyone likes doing all the things there are to do in the game.  I don't really like doing power stones or things that require a big coordinated group to do, mostly because I don't have time for it.  But the thing is, I don't expect to be able to have all those rewards because I didn't do the challenge.

Why do the people who don't like to travel and get the DPs expect to still get the DPs?  It's crap.  Do them and get the points or don't do them and don't get the points.

Otherwise, if you insist on demanding all the bonuses without having to do anything, I'll have to find a group to start bugging the devs about handing us the kraken rewards and all the powerstones just by going to a Freeport and asking some NPC for them.  It's no different really.  And what about the people who don't like having to build things?  We could have them hand out prebuilt barns, houses, towns, etc. until every island looks exactly the same and we can all build them in 10 minutes flat.  Instakill whales and sotd for people who don't like to do that part.  What have I left out?  Any other parts of the game people don't like?

I think you left out just having the game play for you 🙂

The game doesn't just require travel for rewards, it requires travel for just about everything. You want some metal, but none on the island you are on? Travel from 15 minutes to an hour to get it and then you travel back. If the game actually met some of the expectations of people that played it, that would be different. I played the game the very first day it came out. I expected to be able to play as a pirate on a ship and not need a base. But the game is still about land claims and base building. Over half of the game has nothing to do with being on a ship. If you are foolish enough to make a base on a ship, you risk losing everything you own in just a few minutes should you walk away to go to the bathroom at the wrong moment. I know the game is still early access, and yes, I got tired of waiting. ARK in early access at least met the expectations of players. It was a game with dinosaurs and it delivered on that right from the start. Atlas should be a pirate game but I just played as a new character this morning and got killed three times by tigers. Not sure what that has to do with being a pirate.

9 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Don't get me wrong the fast travel in conan is convenient at times, mainly to avoid major hassles or if I've only got half an hour and I need to visit some bases to stop decay. But the map is really small compared to atlas. Personally I want airships in the game anyway, i'd rather that than another loada tames.

Flying tames or airships would be nice in this game, it could help solve time taken to travel.

Never tried the dragon thing but something like that to have all the time I'd like, it reminds me of Game Of Thrones.

They have submarines in a pirate game so don't know why no airships.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, wildbill said:

Back when I played this game I tried to make the argument that Atlas is not a sailing game, it is a Pirate game (fantasy game). Seems those same folks that think it is a sailing game are still playing the game. Most of us that came to play a pirate game (like they showed in the initial trailer for the game) have already quit playing, now you are just wasting your time arguing with the hard core "it's a sailing game crowd".

ummm, what's the thing you most closely associate pirates with doing? What's the thing they are literally almost always doing when pictured in movies, tv or talked about in books? Sailing. Pirates on land who rob your convoy going back and forth aren't even pirates, they are just bandits, thieves, highwaymen etc. There are two defining characteristics of piracy: stealing commercial shipping and doing so while at sea. Piracy itself is inherently associated with sailing, so if you bought a Pirate/fantasy themed MMO and didn't expect it to involve a lot of sailing, I just wouldn't be sure what to tell you. 

Where the devs have missed the boat (pun intended) is in not making the time spent sailing compelling or enjoyable enough to keep people around. There can be land based content, you can have dragons and treasure and underwater stuff sure, because it's /fantasy and that gives you a nice loophole. But look at the trailer man, look at the website, how is anyone NOT supposed to get the strong impression it's largely about piracy, and how is anyone NOT supposed to associate piracy with sailing?

Arguing that it's piracy and not a sailing game is like saying "No no it's a soccer game, not a game where they run all the time." Saying there's an "it's a sailing game" crowd is the same as saying "there's a crowd that understood what was advertised." 

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

ummm, what's the thing you most closely associate pirates with doing? What's the thing they are literally almost always doing when pictured in movies, tv or talked about in books? Sailing. Pirates on land who rob your convoy going back and forth aren't even pirates, they are just bandits, thieves, highwaymen etc. There are two defining characteristics of piracy: stealing commercial shipping and doing so while at sea. Piracy itself is inherently associated with sailing, so if you bought a Pirate/fantasy themed MMO and didn't expect it to involve a lot of sailing, I just wouldn't be sure what to tell you. 

Where the devs have missed the boat (pun intended) is in not making the time spent sailing compelling or enjoyable enough to keep people around. There can be land based content, you can have dragons and treasure and underwater stuff sure, because it's /fantasy and that gives you a nice loophole. But look at the trailer man, look at the website, how is anyone NOT supposed to get the strong impression it's largely about piracy, and how is anyone NOT supposed to associate piracy with sailing?

Arguing that it's piracy and not a sailing game is like saying "No no it's a soccer game, not a game where they run all the time." Saying there's an "it's a sailing game" crowd is the same as saying "there's a crowd that understood what was advertised." 

You kind of removed all of what I said that supported my point and only left the part that supported your point. Yes, a pirate game would have sailing, anyone that would think it doesn't is not too bright, but that wasn't my point at all. This game has sailing (and yes, many don't enjoy the sailing) required before you can do many activities, but it is just a means of travel most of the time, not really an activity that many would chose to do for it own sake, hence the game is not a sailing game, it is a pirate game. The reason for the distinction? Removing some of the sailing would not damage the game, because it is a pirate game, not a sailing game. Removing the pirates from a pirate game, unquestionably a bad choice. Removing the requirement to sail to do just about any activity (like find treasure or go kill that monster) from a pirate game, not that big a deal. So why the big objection to maybe adding a portal or some other device that lets you get to where you need to go faster? And maybe we need to make the distinction between PvE and PvP. For PvE I think it would do nothing but improve the game. Don't care, don't know about PvP.

If there were less sailing, there would be more pirate like activities, that is my point. Not that a pirate game should not have sailing. The other point I made that you removed, is that if the game is based around sailing, and it is. Why the heck isn't having a base on a boat a reasonable thing to do? I explained that in my other post, why not. But that really should be a thing in this game, and that it is not, makes it not even that much of a pirate game as it should be. Who ever heard of pirates that didn't live on their boat?

So yes, there are two ways to fix this game. The "Altas is a sailing game" crowd say make the sailing the more enjoyable. But some of us that think this is a pirate game think maybe just have less sailing. Because I think both camps pretty much agree, the sailing part of this game sucks after you've sailed about 100 hours.

Edited by wildbill

I don't know why the 'what a real pirate would do ' is even a basis for an argument in a fantasy mmo with a submarine, torpedoes and a giant crab!! Also in reality pyrates very rarely attacked each other at all and mostly worked together. Once you accepted the un golden age canon stuff you accepted that this is no longer a  pyrate mmo, so let's please stop using it as an argument for everything eh. Yeh this is deffo fantasy but golden age pyrate mmo? do behave. And for me the sailing is fine but I and a lotta players just don't have 6 hours a day spare to play the game. It doesn't need to be more exciting imo, just quicker.

8 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

I don't know why the 'what a real pirate would do ' is even a basis for an argument in a fantasy mmo with a submarine, torpedoes and a giant crab!! Also in reality pyrates very rarely attacked each other at all and mostly worked together. Once you accepted the un golden age canon stuff you accepted that this is no longer a  pyrate mmo, so let's please stop using it as an argument for everything eh. Yeh this is deffo fantasy but golden age pyrate mmo? do behave. And for me the sailing is fine but I and a lotta players just don't have 6 hours a day spare to play the game. It doesn't need to be more exciting imo, just quicker.

Ya, the game has nothing to do what a real pirate to do, I only said that because boomer brought up it up. But still, you can't avoid some comparison when the game has pirates in it, but that is not of course all the game is about. It also has sailing ships too, but that doesn't mean the ships should actually act like the real thing. When I went sailing on my boat it would take me eight hours or more to get where I was going. Nobody wants that here either (I hope). Yes, I do like the sailing too, just not how long it takes. I like to play games with my wife. She will not play Atlas at all with me after she tried it for a bit. She spends half her time on the ship just watching for SOD and then me steering around them most of the time. Extremely boring for her. She likes to kill stuff. The game could use more of that and less of sailing.

My actual biggest gripe with the sailing is that you can not pause the game or log off while you are sailing if suddenly something in real life comes up (and it does). I'm now playing single player only, since I think I'll be able to log off on the ship, although I've yet to try that. I would like to play on servers, but with the current state of the game, that won't really be an option for me.

Edited by wildbill