Gemini Five

Long sea trips - Need fast travel

There has to be a better way to get 14 grids without watching the water pass by for 2 hours. In the past you could watch tv or youtube while traveling. Now you risk your ship if you look away for 15 seconds.

The SOD are nothing but a pain now. I don't even have cannons unlocked yet and yet I can't sail a grid without dealing with them. They render leaving you seconds to react if in your path. Now. the whales! What happened with the whale? Is it birthing season. Their numbers seem to have just exploded recently. 

You know what sucks. You spends a few hours farming mats for a brig and a whale renders right in your path. You are full speed heading to it, it's aggroed on you coming at you full speed, you can't turn fast enough so you hit head on and come to a full stop. Hours of farming lost in 20 seconds. Boy that's fun!

We really need some form of fast travel with your ship and goods. Face it, it's not like we have some booming trade market that's going to be unbalanced. I'm sure some may like to roleplay the long day at sea but I'm guessing most don't want to spend their free time watching the sea pass by dodging SOD and whales.

One downside I see about Atlas is that it is always making you spend time doing things you have no interest in doing, just to do the things you want to do. Like extended sea travel and low yield mat farming and now almost no xp for killing animals.

We need something like the Eve's warp gates. At least getting us to the general area we are headed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I really struggle to understand this. You're playing a pirate game but have no interest in sailing? 

I have one small 'home' but spend almost my entire time sailing around the world. Exploration in this game is amazing. 

SOD can be a tad annoying though as a few times I have seen this issue of them spawning on top of you. But most of the time you can very easily sail around them. The only other time I havent been able to do that is in a Galleon. Even with two handling sails I still find it hard to alaway avoid them  However in saying that a Galleon has sooo many HPs that you can just sail straight through them. With the Brig I have 1 handling sail and two speed sails and never have an issue with them outside the few times Ive had them spawn on you.

As for the whales, never had an issue out sailing them, none of my ships have full speed sails and my Galleon only has 3 speed sails and 2 handling sails yet I still out run them with no issues (the number of sail slots is so silly, a brig should only have 2 masts and a Galleon 3)

I have no tames, if I want to play zoo keeper I go play Ark.

So, maybe for you its the wrong game? Keeping in mimd the game will be changing shortly to put more focus on sailing rather than playing this game as Ark 2.0.

What is it exactly that you struggle with with out running whales/SOD. What ship(s) do you use? Sail setup? Are you trimmimg the sails correctly?

5 minutes ago, seruum said:

if your destination is 14 grids away technically it would be one grid away

Truth. The map wraps in both directions. Max distance to the farthest point is always 8 grids.

Whales are a threat, especially the polar ones, but they are limited to 30 zones (out of 255). If you hate them that much, you can avoid them. Also, as a survivor of 6 whalestrikes and counting, I have never actually lost a boat to them. I've had water over my head with a bucket in hand and a panicked flurry of desperate actions, but those were some of my most memorable and exciting times in the whole game. Not saying I want that every day, but it makes me appreciate the calmer, controlled situations all the more.

Travelling across the Galaxy in EVE is just as tedious if you use autopilot, but instead of worrying about whales and ships of the damned, you should be worrying about suicide squads of players.

I don't want fast travel, but I would like the ability to carry supplies, and not have a 40% speed penalty before I even load the cargo crates.  It's like the Devs don't play the game.

• Like 1

Well, there is fasttravel in the game...….just not for ships (which makes sense, nobody would sail anymore to save time and don´t have to fight)

They could give a a new ship type, a very fast one that can´t have cannons on it! Maybe that would help those People that don´t like sailing in a pirate game 😉

• Like 4

Adjust your expectations.  You shouldn't be able to sail around the globe in one game session, anyway.  If you need to get 8 grids away, then plan some stops along the route.  There is always a good reason to stop - discovery points, alternate materials for high end BPs,  trading with the locals, finding a level 30 tame.  Sail 3 zones, and make a stop for something.  Log on the next day and sail a few more zones and do something else.

Sailing needs some balance, but it's what the game's about.  The trip IS the game.

• Like 6

@op maybe try the newest call of duty?

lots of us enjoy sailing in a sailing game. thanks. bye.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Whales are a threat, especially the polar ones, but they are limited to 30 zones (out of 255). If you hate them that much, you can avoid them. 

I understand that but I live in a polar zone. It is easy to out run a whale, but when the first sign of one is its health bar, that has already aggroed on you, right in front of you. Also as someone that lives on 15,  I'm now seeing a whole lot more whales now! I think there may be too many now but I don't hate whales and would not remove whales. Even as recent as a few weeks ago, you might sails many grids without seeing one. Not anymore. It's about the balance of danger. Some danger is good, too much becomes a nuisance.

The biggest part of this is something we have discussed here for a year. That being rendering range. Do you see the danger coming? Or, does it sometimes renders in your face.

4 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

There is always a good reason to stop - discovery points, alternate materials for high end BPs,  trading with the locals, finding a level 30 tame.  Sail 3 zones, and make a stop for something.  

I've been here since release. I never left. I had almost 1000 hours prior to the first wipe. When the population dropped all those times I was here. I've unlocked the points a few times. I've had zoos worth of tames. I've explored. I've hunted SOD. I've done all those things and I'm doing most of them now. 

I just don't want to spend hours sailing to resupply.

11 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Oh look, someone else asking for fast travel and annoyed at all the sailing in a sailing game.

Again.

Really, after your 100 book length rants or shills about the game. You are normally the one that's unreasonably reasonable about what people want or don't want in the game. But you are correct about this one. Dollie won't need to come and correct your errors. 🙂  Others have also asked for fast travel. Maybe I'm not the only one who would rather get back to playing the game instead of counting waves.  I spend a lot of time on the water but sometimes I just want to get some cargo moved without the time sink.

Edited by Gemini Five

30 minutes ago, Gemini Five said:

The biggest part of this is something we have discussed here for a year. That being rendering range. Do you see the danger coming? Or, does it sometimes renders in your face.

Yeah, there's definitely some tuning and balancing needed.  Some of us have been noticing worse performance since the system updates they did.   Those "surprise" renders for whales and sotd are bad.

32 minutes ago, Gemini Five said:

I've been here since release. I never left. I had almost 1000 hours prior to the first wipe. When the population dropped all those times I was here. I've unlocked the points a few times. I've had zoos worth of tames. I've explored. I've hunted SOD. I've done all those things and I'm doing most of them now. 

I'm not sure how your playing time changes things.   Either there's a time cost to accomplish things in the game or there isn't.  If you want to craft a high level BP, part of the effort for doing that is gathering all those mats. If you can just teleport somewhere and back with them, it kind of defeats the purpose.  I mean, I understand the feeling...I want to build a barn or a big ship or something and ugh..here we go again..gather woodgatherwoodgatherwood when what you really want to do is build something.

But what's the alternative?  Press a button and get a ship resource box crammed with everything you need?

About the best compromise you can get on it is to set up some remote bases with basic sets of supplies in them and a disposable ship there, fast travel to it , get your stuff and sail back, making the tip 1/2 the time.

42 minutes ago, Gemini Five said:

Maybe I'm not the only one who would rather get back to playing the game instead of counting waves. 

Sailing for mats is part of playing the game.  It may not be a part you like, but it's part of the game.  If I didn't like fighting the army of the dead, I might be pestering the devs to just  change it so you dig up treasure chests around your base.  But if everybody succeeded in getting rid of the bits they didn't like, we'd have no ghost ships or whales, fast travel everywhere with inventory, 600 tames or 0 tames, you know?  It just doesn't work.

• Like 1

LIke i've said before I, and possibly quite a few players aren't bothered either way, but it's interesting how many people on here and playing atlas already play mmo's that have fast travel, and it doesn't stop them playing either. Conan exiles, ESO, WOW, Fallout 76, FFO etc. And even some single player games like skyrim and it didn't stop people buying it. If people are so diehard that they don't want it, then they wouldn't have to use it would they? Some people use multipliers, some people don't, it's a question of choice. And the Atlas map is big.

55 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

LIke i've said before I, and possibly quite a few players aren't bothered either way, but it's interesting how many people on here and playing atlas already play mmo's that have fast travel, and it doesn't stop them playing either. Conan exiles, ESO, WOW, Fallout 76, FFO etc. And even some single player games like skyrim and it didn't stop people buying it. If people are so diehard that they don't want it, then they wouldn't have to use it would they? Some people use multipliers, some people don't, it's a question of choice. And the Atlas map is big.

The dynamic is different in those games.  In Atlas, if you wanted to be the best shipbuilder on the server, you'd have to get lots and lots of different kinds of mats.

In most of those other games, having the best of something would involve dungeon crawls or big raids or whatever brings you the chance for mega-loot.  

So the equivalent would be giving those other gamers a machine that would just dispense mega-loot to them.  I guarantee if they put that function into those games, it would stop nearly everyone from playing.  What's the point if you can just have everything handed to you?

Edited by Winter Thorne

33 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

I'm just mad they don't have a button I can craft to just win at anything I want!  😛

I have earned everything I wanted in game and had it deleted three times.  I've spent a year making suggestions and bug reports to try and help improve the game.

If you find that the same as wanting a win button... you must be a millennial. 🙂

Well atlas has its bosses too, and a countdown timer on artifacts, also a lotta them other mmo's do have mats you need for better content, conan exiles for one, will require you to travel for the mats you need for upgraded weapons and armour, and the map is smaller. Although I do find with conan there is a lotta trade that goes on and if you really needed something people would give it to you anyway.

3 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

I understand that but I live in a polar zone. It is easy to out run a whale, but when the first sign of one is its health bar, that has already aggroed on you, right in front of you. Also as someone that lives on 15,  I'm now seeing a whole lot more whales now! I think there may be too many now but I don't hate whales and would not remove whales. Even as recent as a few weeks ago, you might sails many grids without seeing one. Not anymore. It's about the balance of danger. Some danger is good, too much becomes a nuisance.

Really, after your 100 book length rants or shills about the game. You are normally the one that's unreasonably reasonable about what people want or don't want in the game. But you are correct about this one. Dollie won't need to come and correct your errors. 🙂  Others have also asked for fast travel. Maybe I'm not the only one who would rather get back to playing the game instead of counting waves.  I spend a lot of time on the water but sometimes I just want to get some cargo moved without the time sink.

Look the game map is 90% plus water. It is pirate/ fantasy themed and advertised as such, yet people complain that the sailing is boring. This leaves two possibilities that I can see:

1. The people complaining have made a poor choice of game and are playing something unsuited to their preferences but instead of playing something else wish to have said game altered to suit what they think they would prefer. Given the amount of time you have invested probably not you but pretty definitely some of those who have played 20 mins then complained. Either way not something GrapeCard can control.

2. GrapeCard not making sailing interesting or compelling enough as an activity so that instead of  viewing moving cargo as a time sink you’re eager to get back out on the water moving cargo because that’s where the adventure is. Maybe not quite to that extreme, but all MMO’s have some level of time sink. It’s just that vet players shouldn’t be viewing core activities as time sinks. That points to core activities lacking replay value and compelling engagement.

In the end I’m opposed to fast travel in this game because it sidesteps the game’s raison d’etre. Many things players say they want for reasons of convenience just wind up accelerating them towards boredom. Doesn’t sound like that would be you, but you are the exception rather than the rule.

Lastly, you get the same answer anyone gets complaining about my post length: not all of them are that way but when they are your attention span is not my problem.

Edited by boomervoncannon

29 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Lastly, you get the same answer anyone gets complaining about my post length: not all of them are that way but when they are your attention span is not my problem.

I was not complaining. I generally think you are one of the more clearer thinkers on the forum. And your writing skills suggest that you were educated in the prior educational system.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

Knowing that you live in polar is important context for my previous comments. It feels like they tuned the Monstrous Sperms around the same time as the wipe. They used to move lightning fast on first aggro (like 30 knots), and then slow down to your boat speed on approach. Now they seem to always stay about the same speed.

I went through six whalestrikes before the wipe, but haven't had a single one since the wipe. Maybe it is just my player knowledge, but they seem easier to avoid now. Has that not been your experience?

The problem here is this, just because someone says the sea trips are too long doesn't mean the same as saying sea travel is boring. I travel for hours sometimes by car, not boring journey's but I wish it was quicker. If it's just boredom then they could easily sort that by expanding the fishing to trophy hunting  and rare fish catching etc, or things of that nature. If it's a time issue which I suspect for a lot of us it is, as not everyone has hours every night to play, then that is trickier. Because if you sign off in the ocean, the chances are you'll find you were in it by the next day. If you could safely sign off it would be fine but obviously you can't. What worries me is all that will happen is we'll just get a more hostile environment with sea volcanoes and whirlpools in every grid to stop people getting bored. Which will discourage the newcomer from going anywhere at all. I still remember my first raft being sunk by the SOTD on my first to third outings. What the devs will do if anything about the travel I don't know, but it's not gonna be easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Look the game map is 90% plus water. It is pirate/ fantasy themed and advertised as such, yet people complain that the sailing is boring. This leaves two possibilities that I can see:

1. The people complaining have made a poor choice of game and are playing something unsuited to their preferences but instead of playing something else wish to have said game altered to suit what they think they would prefer. Given the amount of time you have invested probably not you but pretty definitely some of those who have played 20 mins then complained. Either way not something GrapeCard can control.

I think you missed one point.   Based on this:

3 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

I have earned everything I wanted in game and had it deleted three times.  I've spent a year making suggestions and bug reports to try and help improve the game.

I'm thinking I understand the complaint better.  (Either that or I'm way off base, but it hit a chord)

I make these mental lists of the things I want to do in the game.  We've been wiped a few times now and each time when I get restart, it seems like an uphill climb to get back to where I was before the wipe so I can continue working on my list.  It really feels like you're making no progress at all when you're doing the same thing for the third time just so you can feel like "Ok, NOW I can restart".  In that respect, yeah, sailing for mats to rebuild the same ship and buildings you just had wiped out seems like it would deserve a fast-forward button.  If that's the case Grapeshot CAN control it, using any of the ways I listed previously  in a rant-filled anti-wipe post.

As a general game mechanic?  No.  No way would fast travel with inventories be a good thing for this game.  But as a wipe sweetner, a one-time ticket for a boatload of mats post-wipe wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

I think you missed one point.   Based on this:

I'm thinking I understand the complaint better.  (Either that or I'm way off base, but it hit a chord)

I make these mental lists of the things I want to do in the game.  We've been wiped a few times now and each time when I get restart, it seems like an uphill climb to get back to where I was before the wipe so I can continue working on my list.  It really feels like you're making no progress at all when you're doing the same thing for the third time just so you can feel like "Ok, NOW I can restart".  In that respect, yeah, sailing for mats to rebuild the same ship and buildings you just had wiped out seems like it would deserve a fast-forward button.  If that's the case Grapeshot CAN control it, using any of the ways I listed previously  in a rant-filled anti-wipe post.

As a general game mechanic?  No.  No way would fast travel with inventories be a good thing for this game.  But as a wipe sweetner, a one-time ticket for a boatload of mats post-wipe wouldn't hurt.

I see nothing to disagree with here. Something that helped previously wiped players not feel on a treadmill without giving them some positional advantage in pve or competitive advantage for pvp would be nice.

At this point I’m personally refusing to get back on that treadmill when the game’s future is iffy, Red left (she wants us to try Red Dead Redemption 2 now), and they botched the game elements I was most interested in. So now I’m standing on the sidelines waiting to see if it gets better while playing BDO (whose crafting and economy I’m liking quite nicely).

On 11/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, Gemini Five said:

Nothing more irritating than wanting to go whaling, and not being able to find a whale.  I am happy they changed the amount of whales.  In season 2, we sailed through 20 Grids without seeing a single whale.  This season, I wanted the Monstrous Sperm whale achievement, so I took our whaler, and sailed through 3 or 4 grids without seeing one, and then I found one, and then I found 2 more while sailing through 5 grids.  Only spotted 4 blue whales while sailing through about a dozen grids where they spawn.  Seems just fine to me.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:27 PM, Winter Thorne said:

I make these mental lists of the things I want to do in the game.  We've been wiped a few times now and each time when I get restart, it seems like an uphill climb to get back to where I was before the wipe so I can continue working on my list.  It really feels like you're making no progress at all when you're doing the same thing for the third time just so you can feel like "Ok, NOW I can restart".

This is a problem with all survival games where raiding and wiping is a thing.  This is exactly why these games get a lot of interest when they are new, but the population dies very quickly.  The population dies, because people feel like they are spinning their wheels.  Farm, build, get raided, farm, rebuild, get raided, farm, rebuild, get wiped, farm rebuild, get raided, farm, rebuild get wiped...quit and move on to a new game.

Conan is really bad.  Only 40 to a server.  You might be getting raided, and can't get on.  People can simply look at the player list, and see how many are on, from a company they want to raid.  The Alphas keep hitting you as soon as you start to get anywhere, so you never get anywhere.  Last one we were on, we had just gotten into a tier 3 structure, and 2 days later, log in to find the Alpha in our base.  So we told them to enjoy their server.  That we wouldn't be back.  And we haven't played that game since.  Was only a month ago.  No point in it.

In that respect, yeah, sailing for mats to rebuild the same ship and buildings you just had wiped out seems like it would deserve a fast-forward button.  If that's the case Grapeshot CAN control it, using any of the ways I listed previously  in a rant-filled anti-wipe post.

This is where Star Citizen is going to shine.  Pretty much everything will be insured.  Your ship, your cargo, your upgrades, your bases, your inventories at the base...etc...  You might lose everything, but you will just set up someplace else.  Your progress will be delayed a bit, but you don't lose everything.  The winner...the ones that beat you, get their reward in the stuff they stole from you, but you won't be starting over on an impossible-to-win, treadmill.