Sign in to follow this  
Fractured Vessel

Grid Border Crossing (ships of the damned border proximity limit)

Might be able to guess what the idea is from the title. But basically, today i crossed into another grid, and found myself loading into a ship of the damned. The SOTD was sat in pretty much the exact spot I loaded into. For a second or two we sat there while I loaded, and then once loaded, it threw me 180 degrees and I was crossing the border back the way I came.

Basically, I suggest making it so the SOTD can only come within a certain distance of the border. Because I can see this glitching and sinking a players ship. Also, I've heard reports from other players about having their ship sunk by SOTD's while they were loading in/out of a grid. So I thik on top of my suggestion, you should add a none/de-agro status to player ships when they cross a border. That way, players won't be helplessly sunk while loading in/out of a grid. They will have a good 30 seconds perhaps where their ship won't pull agro, giving them time to load in and either engage in a fair fight, or flee before the ship attacks.

• Like 1

The problem with the way you described it is that players would exploit the heck out of it.

Instead, just implement a no-fire constraint on players who zoned less than 60 seconds ago, but let it expire instantly for any player who fires their guns before that timer is up.

I do like that idea. But it doesn't really prevent you from loading in to a grid and occupying the same spot as a SOTD. My concern is that this could lead to a players ship exploding or taking catastrophic damage. Maybe a good solution would be for the grid/server you are loading into checking your position, and any ships within a certain radius of the exact coardinate you are appearing at, get moved outside that radius. That way you won't spawn inside a SOTD, and any catastrophic collision glitches can be prevented. That in combination with your idea would solve border crossing issues I think.