Sign in to follow this  
Dang Bo

Increase Minimum Wind Speed

Sailing from point A to B is already what the player spends the majority of their time doing and when the wind is blowing so slowly that they can't even outrun a ship of the damned it makes the game a real chore to play. Going so slow isn't fun, it isn't productive, and you can't even AFK without the risk of losing a ship you've sunk days of time into building, leveling, and farming better quality components for.

While I don't disagree that upping the minimum wind speed would be fantastic, if your ship is so laden that you can't outrun a Ship of the Damned in minimum winds (they go 6 knots). You should probably change your tactics.

Stop sailing directly into the wind, get speed sails, learn to tack, don't load your boat over 60%, build a cargo rack, put more points into weight, or build a bigger ship that can carry all the junk you are trying to transport.

All my boats do 12+ knots in the worst wind (and 21+ in the best), but I use all the above rules when travelling.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:13 PM, Sleepinator2000 said:

While I don't disagree that upping the minimum wind speed would be fantastic, if your ship is so laden that you can't outrun a Ship of the Damned in minimum winds (they go 6 knots). You should probably change your tactics.

Stop sailing directly into the wind, get speed sails, learn to tack, don't load your boat over 60%, build a cargo rack, put more points into weight, or build a bigger ship that can carry all the junk you are trying to transport.

All my boats do 12+ knots in the worst wind (and 21+ in the best), but I use all the above rules when travelling.

These are all good tips for new players, but the SOD thing was a slight over exaggeration for me, I run a brig with 3 large handling sails between 25-35% weight. The extra maneuverability allows me to choose my engagements without having to worry about outrunning ships which are inherently faster, such as the schooner and galleon. At 19-21k weight capacity you can comfortably run 6-12 rear cannons and carry 800-1,200 medium cannonballs to make the most of your trips.

I take it from the Galleon/Schooner comment that you play on PvP? Aren't you more worried about going AFK on long transits with hostile players nearby?

If you don't have fantastic blueprinted maneuvering sails, you will see about a 2 knot increase in speed for every one that you swap out for a speed sail.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, Sleepinator2000 said:

I take it from the Galleon/Schooner comment that you play on PvP? Aren't you more worried about going AFK on long transits with hostile players nearby?

If you don't have fantastic blueprinted maneuvering sails, you will see about a 2 knot increase in speed for every one that you swap out for a speed sail.

Yes I play PVP and it is a concern most of the time due to the limited render distance on ships. It's really ridiculous not being able to see someone coming straight at you until it's almost too late to turn out of the way.