Sign in to follow this  
Decado

Dusk & Dawn lighting - could we scale it back a bit?

I really love the day/night cycle of Atlas - there's some seriously beautiful lighting in the game but man - when its transitioning between day to night, or night to day, there's this period where the foreground is super contrasty making it very difficult to actually see anything.

An example - as it goes towards evening, things are fine, the sky starts to darken etc. Then there's this short period where the foreground is suddenly SUPER contrasty/dark. After a while it transitions to full night where it's actually quite visible when not under the shadow of trees.

Likewise, as night transitions into dawn, there's the same period where the sky is ligtening but the ground remains ridiculously contrastry. When you are in places like Freeports where there's buildings, you can barely see anything around the buildings due to this heavy contrast.

Any chance we can get a little more local ambient lightning at ground level or overall reduction of the heavy contrast during these phases? I like the nights being dark, but this contrast not only makes navigating the terrain painful, it's actually unpleasant to look at. Not a game breaker by any means but could be tweaked to be a far more balanced experience. 

• Like 1

I carry a lantern for those periods, it just hangs on your belt so doen't need to be held.

Also they are somewhat bright producing a lot of glare, reducing distance vision, but colouring them a dark colour reduces that glare. (I use mud colour - produces quite a realistic coloured glow with enough ambient light to see your suroundings)

• Like 1

Partially related - I understand that losing and gaining visibility is part of the game, but it seems a little overdone, at least in the cold areas.   The fog is constantly rolling in, and as soon as it clears you get a cold snap which also causes reduced visibility for some reason.  Why is there a pixelation/blurring effect happening for cold snaps?      In reality, the colder the air gets, the clearer it becomes and the farther you can see. Cold air holds less moisture.