Sign in to follow this  
Outahgitcha

Ships being destroyed by sandbars

I have lost ships from shipyard because there was some sand nearby. Or a ship being tossed around like a ball on a string until it is sunk.

Not complaining I understand it's in development stages. Can we fix the affect that hitting sand has?

1 hour ago, Outahgitcha said:

I have lost ships from shipyard because there was some sand nearby. Or a ship being tossed around like a ball on a string until it is sunk.

Not complaining I understand it's in development stages. Can we fix the affect that hitting sand has?

well thats what happens when you build a boat too close to shore, want a fix? build it in deeper water, you are welcome.

• Like 1

In Sector c8 near some cargo crates there is an invisible obstruction. You cant swim through it either. I understand that for the shipyard but it destroys boats. Instead of just damaging it. 

Never really figured out how the dmg works when hitting sandbanks or Rocks. Sometimes Nothing happened then the next One does 3600 dmg. Always thought it was about the Speed You had when hitting stuff but full 22 knots into an Island And 0 dmg

I've never had a ship sank by a sandbar.  I watch the map and the water depth very closely.  On the rare occasion I do hit one and take damage I immediately drop anchor.  If damage is bad enough I repair it.  If waves are high I wait for calmer waters before raising my anchor.  Raising an anchor in shallow waters with high winds is asking to be sunk. 

And always back up off the sandbar. Even if you are more than 1/2 way across it. You will take more damage and sink if you raise sails. Backing up slowly seems to avoid tking further damage.

This rag-doll effect where the ship flips around wildly, causing a massive amount of damage and you have no control whatsoever from literally just touching a sandbar or rock hidden under the water surface even while moving really, really slowly is the worst way to lose a ship.  When this happens, you can't manoeuvre, can't repair or replace planks as you can't move about because of the ship flipping all over the place.  All you can do is sit back and watch most of the planks get destroyed and your ship sink.

I've had it happen to me on many occasions when moving really carefully and slowly when arriving at and leaving islands, out in the open sea when there has been a whale in view but not that close that it would come into contact with the ship and definitely no where near the hull when camming under the water to look.

Seems like some kind of physics problem to me.  Sure, I would expect to take damage from being careless and bumping into sandbanks, rocks or whales and have to repair or maybe even replace planks but not have the ship flip about to the point that you can't do a thing about it.

After this has happened to you a few times, sailing in anything larger than a Schooner can sometimes feel rather like covering the soft, dangly collection of objects in your pants in cat food and jiggling them about above a hungry lion in a small cage.

I try not to sail without the sextant buff or constantly bringing the map up and zooming in when approaching land whilst camming under the water and looking around the hull and I always drop the anchor as far out as possible.  Best to have a slightly longer swim than you would like than to have to retrieve your stuff and build another ship.

• Like 1

It's taking me a long time to get everything set up, but I'm going to put guest docks out in safe spots in my harbor with green buoys and a settlement message directing people there.  The number of sand bars , rocks, glacial moraines and whatnot under the water at my island is ridiculous, and if you manage to avoid all those, you're probably in a spot too deep to anchor.  It's pretty nuts.

Does anyone know if you can anchor a boat in a deep spot if a floor has been built up a little underneath?

1 hour ago, Slado said:

This rag-doll effect where the ship flips around wildly, causing a massive amount of damage and you have no control whatsoever from literally just touching a sandbar or rock hidden under the water surface even while moving really, really slowly is the worst way to lose a ship.  When this happens, you can't manoeuvre, can't repair or replace planks as you can't move about because of the ship flipping all over the place.  All you can do is sit back and watch most of the planks get destroyed and your ship sink.

I've had it happen to me on many occasions when moving really carefully and slowly when arriving at and leaving islands, out in the open sea when there has been a whale in view but not that close that it would come into contact with the ship and definitely no where near the hull when camming under the water to look.

Seems like some kind of physics problem to me.  Sure, I would expect to take damage from being careless and bumping into sandbanks, rocks or whales and have to repair or maybe even replace planks but not have the ship flip about to the point that you can't do a thing about it.

After this has happened to you a few times, sailing in anything larger than a Schooner can sometimes feel rather like covering the soft, dangly collection of objects in your pants in cat food and jiggling them about above a hungry lion in a small cage.

I try not to sail without the sextant buff or constantly bringing the map up and zooming in when approaching land whilst camming under the water and looking around the hull and I always drop the anchor as far out as possible.  Best to have a slightly longer swim than you would like than to have to retrieve your stuff and build another ship.

drop your anchor it stops you form flipping out

58 minutes ago, Coldpaws said:

drop your anchor it stops you form flipping out

Really?  That's going to be a game-changer if it works Coldpaws, thanks.

Yeh I had this happen to me today on sp, luckily I managed to open the sail and my ship sorta hopped to deeper water where it corrected itself. Damn nuisance though. But not as bad as my ships getting stuck in the dock, i've had to demolish shipyards just to free them.

3 hours ago, Slado said:

Really?  That's going to be a game-changer if it works Coldpaws, thanks.

I have personally flipped my boat upside down before when it was spinning out of control and I dropped anchor and it stopped

When you are high and dry like that guy, you'll go right back into hyperspin the moment you raise your anchor. Might as well be a total loss, because he'll never get it back to the water.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, Redrick said:

unknown.png

Screenshot_307.png

Screenshot_308.png

This is the funniest post ive ever seen on here ahahhahahaah 

• Haha 2

On 11/16/2019 at 12:00 AM, Atlaneer said:

Must be fully anchored

It is a russian boat.. too much vodka and balalaika bears, you know ))