Thetallest

Silo's need to store more than just berries for crew

Okay folks.  I am going to post this here and see who salutes it.    I of the opinion that the Silo needs to be able to store more than just berries for the crew.  If we are able to feed the crews from the food larders whatever we put in there then it should be the same for the Silo.  It seems very silly to restrict the silo to ONLY BERRIES.   

I am curious what everyone else thoughts on this are.  

I am hoping to hear some feedback from one if not all of the dev's on why they did this.

• Like 4

I do feel sorry for all the folks in biomes without berries. They might be buried in cacti or meat steaks, but can't silo even one of them to support their crew.

Fully agree. Makes zero sense to only allow berries. This should be changed asap. Especially as they are allowed to eat other stuff.

Edited by Tycondero

Thing is they designed the silo as a crew payment / feeding item, with a rediculous extension on the spoil timer.

if other foods would be allowed to be placed inside, it would change from that role into a longterm storage device for all your foods, rendering the other storage solutions obsolete.

They would need to rework all food storage items, changing spoil time increases, who and what they feed, and the fuel needed to power them.

As a quick fix they could make it so that you can only put stuff in the silo and not take them out - this would keep it's use as only a crew pay / feed item.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Thing is they designed the silo as a crew payment / feeding item, with a rediculous extension on the spoil timer.

if other foods would be allowed to be placed inside, it would change from that role into a longterm storage device for all your foods, rendering the other storage solutions obsolete.

They would need to rework all food storage items, changing spoil time increases, who and what they feed, and the fuel needed to power them.

As a quick fix they could make it so that you can only put stuff in the silo and not take them out - this would keep it's use as only a crew pay / feed item.

These are valid concerns, but you also give valid solutions. I fully agree.

They are just leveraging the current flag/bank functionality in a placeable structure.

To make the transactions one-way they would need to spin off a different set of functions and rules.

I'd say the simplest fix for people in non-berry biomes is to allow cooked goods to also go in silos.

That would bump the value of cooking without completely invalidating land-based food storage.

Larders and preserving bags would still have a place on ships at sea.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:41 PM, Sleepinator2000 said:

They are just leveraging the current flag/bank functionality in a placeable structure.

To make the transactions one-way they would need to spin off a different set of functions and rules.

I'd say the simplest fix for people in non-berry biomes is to allow cooked goods to also go in silos.

That would bump the value of cooking without completely invalidating land-based food storage.

Larders and preserving bags would still have a place on ships at sea.

For me having cooked meat / fish with unlimited quantity and spoilage would be a huge advantage.

Can get rid of the 6 preserving bags saving the salt used as fuel I use to store them currently, as I batch cook crafted foods for our company.

I see where you're coming from, but even this is too much.

Also there is already one way transactions in the game, I think it's cooked meat and the fireplace, where you can tke it out but not put it back.

Agreed silo should store more than just berries (maybe grown vegetables) and would be acceptable if the silo food timer was the same time/length as the food larder/feeding trough. That way people aren't just using it for storage/ no advantage for those using a silo vs not using one. 

22 minutes ago, NobleToker said:

Agreed silo should store more than just berries (maybe grown vegetables) and would be acceptable if the silo food timer was the same time/length as the food larder/feeding trough. That way people aren't just using it for storage/ no advantage for those using a silo vs not using one. 

Again a huge advantage for me, I store my grown vegtables in larders (preserving bags are not big enough). In a larder I have up to 60 stacks spoiling at the same time.

A silo, like a ship resource box, would stack them all together, effectively increasing spoil time by up to 60 times (if silo = larder spoilage)

Don't get me wrong I would love to feed my crew with potatoes rather than berries, but can see virtualy no ways of doing it that would not obsolete other storage methods.

Ok, let me explain.

A storage device should always be better than a delivery device, as it serves only one purpose not two.

The more value a food has the more effort you put into storing it, preserving bags and fridges require fuel, but we willingly pay that price for greater storage.

Using a delivery device as storage is only viable when storing large quantities, we also accept the faster spoilage to store larger quantities.

The silo only works because berries have no, or very little value, so high stack size and long spoil time on a berry does not realy increase it's value.

On every other food type the value increse the silo properties convey would obsolete the other methods to some degree.

The only other way would be to make anything you put in the silo as worthless as the berries, i.e. a one way transaction. and even this could be abused by destroying the silo to get your items out of this super storage. (they are quite cheap to make).

While it would be nice to feed crew with grown vegtables from a silo I can't see any way to do it.

Note: do you have every type of storage in your base? I do (except the fridge). If you do as well, it must be a reasonably balanced system of storage and feeding.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:44 AM, Jack Shandy said:

Note: do you have every type of storage in your base? I do (except the fridge). If you do as well, it must be a reasonably balanced system of storage and feeding.

I understand what you are saying; I only use feeding trough's, p bags, and the silo. Food larders seem a waste for me but it all depends on what you are doing in the game. Speaking of longer storage time just realized I should put the companies cooking berries in the silo since the silo holding berries makes the hard to get (have to travel grid squares for) berries like sea grapes; blackberries;  Schisandra, strawberries, etc spoil a lot less....So Thx u.

1 hour ago, NobleToker said:

I understand what you are saying; I only use feeding trough's, p bags, and the silo. Food larders seem a waste for me but it all depends on what you are doing in the game. Speaking of longer storage time just realized I should put the companies cooking berries in the silo since the silo holding berries makes the hard to get (have to travel grid squares for) berries like sea grapes; blackberries;  Schisandra, strawberries, etc spoil a lot less....So Thx u.

larders have the same spoil bonus as feeding troughs that feed you tames, and crew will be fed from a silo before a larder, it is also nicer visualy to have in a cookhouse.

Not using a trough and using silo, leaves the larder redundant as a feeding device, making it ideal for bulk storage of crops.

Using the silo as berry storage is great for the spoil timer, just watch out for which berries your crew eats! don't want them munching your blackberries when you have many thousands of schisandra in the next stack.

Sooo just to add this. If the silo is a base wide thing. Why not be able to store recources in there? And crew repairing ships using those materials instead. 

Makes more sense to me than having a ships recources box on land for storage. As its just pure storage. Isnt that what silo's are for? 

1 hour ago, Sabeltandeendje said:

Sooo just to add this. If the silo is a base wide thing. Why not be able to store recources in there? And crew repairing ships using those materials instead. 

Makes more sense to me than having a ships recources box on land for storage. As its just pure storage. Isnt that what silo's are for? 

That a good idea, but a silo!. even as it is I always imagine the crews digging around in the loose berries trying to find the gold thats sunk to the bottom.

More realisticaly you'd want a bursar item, a bloke sat at a desk with sacks of berries one side and a chest of gold the other.

And for your idea: A workshop like structure.