Sign in to follow this  
Loli Monki

A new way to get salt?

Hi guys,

The island I live on is currently unable to produce salt. So I came up with the idea, why can't we boil saltwater collected from the ocean via bucket to create salt?

So that's my idea to create salt on salt less islands such as mine. As it's needed to keep food lasting longer and a must have for cooking. It's a pain running around islands for just 2 salt that you dig up on the beach.

My Idea is fill up a bucket of water from the ocean. Bring it to a cooking pot / grill and place the bucket inside, then turn the fire on. It will make about 20 salt in 1 full min. Then we could actually use salt effectively on salt less islands.

If you put points into the shoveller skill you will get more salt, I normally get 12 before the shovel breaks. Also when you make preserving salt in the pestle and mortar it is always doubled.

Yeah, I've got this, but 12 salt for 1 shovel isn't a right lot, I'd expect more. I'm just trying to improve the rate of salt when you're not in a good enough area that gets it often.

I'd even be happy with a node or two been washed up on beaches every now and again.

• Like 1

The less common items dug up with a shovel are paltry amounts, and the shoveler skill hardly helps (a percentage bonus on 1 or 2 is still 1 or 2).

Added to this harvesting bonus weekends don't seem to affect digging quantities.

The good is that potatoes that are common when digging are great for taming most veggie eaters, cooking pork pies & feeding your crew, all before you've learnt farming. (You can also dig up potatoes in biomes you can't grow them :classic_wink: )

The uncommon stuff dug up needs a bit of a boost.

The shovelling skill is pointless atm, however that is off topic.

About the salt: we should indeed be able to boil seawater to obtain salt, seasalt that is, which is already a resource in the game.

actually shovelling for salt can be a life saver especially if you use a food bag. Also digging uses your stomach meter so you can eat for vits. But it is a lotta work for a small amount granted.