ErikW

An Update Regarding Recent Claim Flag Height Changes

This week, we announced that changes were coming to claim flags which would limit how high they could be placed in the world. We recognize that there is currently a problem with some claim flags being relatively impossible to capture due to being placed inside “pillar bases” located at extremely high elevations. However, based on the feedback we've received from the community and after considering our future roadmap plans, we have decided not to enact this change. As a result, the recent height limits for claim flags have been reverted and existing claim flags will not have to be relocated within a month's time.

I’d like to briefly provide some extra context on why we planned to make this change and why we're rolling it back now. To clarify, the dev team does believe that high elevation claim flags and "pillar bases" are a legitimate problem in the game right now. No land base should feel impregnable or unraidable simply because it's "too far out of reach" to attack effectively. It goes against the spirit of PvP. Our hope with this change was to make it so that all land bases could feel like viable raid targets. That said, we also understand the desire for players (and especially smaller companies) to keep their stuff safe. However, we feel that it's in the best interest of the game to save changes of this nature for the later phases of our roadmap.

To reiterate:

• We will be reverting the height limit for claim flags that we pushed out this week.
  • We will not be asking companies to relocate their claim flags any longer.
  • We will continue to explore ways outside of claiming and height to address problems with pillar bases down the road.

Thank you, as always, for your feedback on this and other matters. If you have any personal thoughts on claim flag heights or pillar bases, we’d love to hear them in the comments below. I can't tell you how excited we are for ATLAS' future beyond our Xbox launch and we can't wait to reveal everything that we have in store for you when the time is right. Until then, thank you for your continued support and we'll see you all in-game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

MAKE HEIGHT a Gold island Multiplier Just STARVE the company of gold if they want a high base.
This adds a gold sink you ALWAYS WANT
it keeps PLAYER CHOICE IN THE GAME

IT WILL REQUIRE MORE UPKEEP FOR THE CHOICE!
ITS A WIN WIN

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Stacked pillars and walls could be similar to foundations as in halfing HP 

Also, we have climbing picks and grapples but no viable weapons for raiding verticle structures. I have seen dozens of puckles on top of dozens of pillars.

10 minutes ago, PHaRTnONu said:

MAKE HEIGHT a Gold island Multiplier Just STARVE the company of gold if they want a high base.
This adds a gold sink you ALWAYS WANT
it keeps PLAYER CHOICE IN THE GAME

IT WILL REQUIRE MORE UPKEEP FOR THE CHOICE!
ITS A WIN WIN

Its a lost. RIght now due to pillar bases grenades are doing a lot more dmg than they should because they had to give a way to get into bases where a cannon cart cant get to.

Its a total lost to balancing the game. Unless you plan on bringing back mortars for attackers but even then some pillars are still too high.

Edited by ragnar cook

get rid of the flags, just use the tax bank as an up-gradable structure. More HP more cost etc. blow up the bank to declaim, build a new one to claim.

• Like 1

"We will continue to explore ways outside of claiming and height to address problems with pillar bases down the road."

I know what you ex ARK wildcard guys are thinking:   Air ships.  More Flying mounts.   Magic.   
No. No. and No.   

Grow a pair, and just keep the flag changes that you feel are best for the game.   Second time now you guys have added this change, then reverted it right after.  It should of been done @ start of season 3, but for what ever reason it didnt happen.  Revert the revert!!!  Let PvP happen.

Edited by Profanity13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Profanity13 said:

"We will continue to explore ways outside of claiming and height to address problems with pillar bases down the road."

I know what you ex ARK wildcard guys are thinking:   Air ships.  More Flying mounts.   Magic.   
No. No. and No.   

Grow a pair, and just keep the flag changes that you feel are best for the game.   Second time now you guys have added this change, then reverted it right after.  It should of been done @ start of season 3, but for what ever reason it didnt happen.  Revert the revert!!!  Let PvP happen.

Thats exsactly what we need heck if you look at the image icon for the game you see an airship, if they go high allow raiders to attack just allso add aa guns or something as well as bombs to keep it balanced air superiority.

Plus lore for atlas is a giant floating chain of islands in the sky. How else did the ancient people get around also i think drakes shouldnt be locked to 3 hours just limit how many mithical beasts a company can have like how ship number is limited.

How about have the claim area (sphere) size shrink with height such that a max height one can just manage to place a Cliff platform near it.
Could someone explain the exact problem with pictures?
Personally, and I don't play on Pvp now, if you take the effort to build a way up high hard to get to base then you probably should be rewarded with a degree of protection.
The blunt force solution is a 6x damage to structures multiplier above a certain height like caves in Ark.

Edited by moozoo
Spelling

Nice make Pillerbases great again...if you don't change the flag then there should be a bonus dmg for high structures. Like a x4 explosive dmg. So drakes would make sence again to raid stuff like this. 

Hey Erik,

I think this is a mistake.
You are following the same flawed logic as you did with not fixing '+Max Velocity' on speed sails. There are a million reasons why playing solo or in a small group is not really viable at the moment. You are not fixing this by having all ships go the same speed or all bases being unraidable. While it sure does help smaller groups of players, you are hurting everyones experience in the process, resulting in a net negative outcome.

I truly appreciate your attempt at making this game playable for smaller groups, I hate to see it happen at the expense of everyone though. There needs to be a viable alternative to claiming a high pillar in order to save any tangible progress. Owning land should be incentivised, not mandatory.

Best of luck with your charity stream.
-Tim

Edited by realTim

Forget the flag system nobody cares we need ways to DEFEND OUR FLAGS/BASES.

This has been a massive problem since Ark day 1 and you guys CBA fixing this simple problem that makes it way to easy to offline raid I work FFS I can't defend 9 hours every night. 

And no no I don't want to play unofficial or PVE. unofficial is glitchy AF and PVE is boring AF

• Thanks 2

problem is not the claim flag high - no one wants to build high up mountain...
PROBLEM is that a single cannon bear can take down any base on the ground without loosing anything but cannon balls when there is no player defending...
all NPC defenses are useless if they are not out of range of the cannon bear, or the cannon bear has to be well within range of the defences...
and even if they would work, they make not enough damage to effect a cannon bear...
even if you would hit him... while he is shooting and scooting...

we would build bases on the ground  if there defenses would at least cost the attacker more effort and resources than a 10 min tame and 20 min resource gathering... and only one player...
in the real world a defense structure always has the advantage in a direct assault... that is why we humans use them... and in the real world the soldiers are not standing around doing nothing under fire, when the officer went to bed...

also if we get proper NPC defenses we could all play more atlas with better performance because we would not need to build K's of passive structures for defense... think about the poor XBobs!!!

we are building up on mountains because land PVP is totally broken right now - since the beginning...
If the flag change would happen, without PVP balancing... islands would be claimed daily... and we would still build on pillars to keep our stuff save from the ONE griefing cannon bear...

same goes for ship to land combat... a harbor fort is useless against tank ships... because a meter thick stone wall is no match to a wooden ship plank... and harbor cannons are out ranged by ship based cannons...

• Thanks 1

Or even quadruple structure health  so it would be more realistic and takes a lot longer and wouldn't be worth it for trolls 

JUST TRY SOMETHING QUIT IGNORING IT!

Requiring sea level flag claims in a game with pillars that you can build on.. is a bit of a paradox anyway. Wouldn't make sense to force companies to build at sea level in a game where "BoB" is an insult.

Hello, I run a merchant guild on the official pvp servers on krakens grasp. I just want to say a few things real quick and maybe someone from grapeshot will see this, and hopefully it gives some insight. I do not think that there needs to be much done in the way of hurting pillar bases on high elevations, already I know a lot of people don't like me for that, however this is why I say that. There is still absolutely nothing stopping them from leaving their ships and beginning a land assault, it is a perfectly viable and definitely functional strategy to build forward operating bases and blast your way up the mountain you are attacking with artillery, yes it's time consuming, yes it's a little expensive depending on how big your faction is, but it is perfectly doable and it's able to be done in roughly 6 hours playtime. The only reason I believe people are complaining about pillar bases is because a single person can't run over and wipe out a tribe of 100 plus people and all their progress they have spent months working towards in a matter of minutes. And I do not think that game play style should be promoted. If this game is turned into a game where a solo player can spend 2 hours and wipe out a base that is the product of months of hard work from many people, then the remaining player base will likely die off even more. It's no secret that compared to release this game has already lost tons of it's players due to that exact playstyle as many uneducated players fall victim to it. Now I will say if a group knows exactly what they are doing on base defense and if they are actually online and defending it then yes those bases are extremely hard to take, and I feel that's how it should be, nothing's impossible. A handful of grenades can in the blink of an eye lay waste to months of work and cripple a base, dozens of people rushing a base can make the defenses spend tons of ammo until they are deleted, a few tortugars can shrug off an entire base Worth's of defense long enough to get a bunch of people into a vulnerable position to take the base. I believe people need to use their brains more, and stop asking everything to be handed to them just so they can focus entirely on ruining the game for others, because all the people complaining are only focused on just that. They don't care about the thrill of pvp, if they did you'd see people building fighting arenas and duking it out, you'd see people having friendly battles to see who's the better sailor, but none of that happens, and players very very rarely even attack when someone is defending. All they want is the ability to completely wipe a base while the tribe is offline and defenseless

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1