Batshit Krazy

feeding tamed bears

I need to leave town for 6 days, and I would like to keep my two hi lvl tamed bears alive. How much food and of which type do I need to put in the trough before I leave. How many berries? How much raw meats?

Edited by Batshit Krazy
adds

Is it possible for you to fill the whole trough with veggies and berries? Bears prefer meat, but it would all spoil in that time. I typically fill my trough with grown food and don't need to refill it for a few days at least. I haven't tried going a week without refilling personally, but I'm pretty sure a full trough could last 6 days if filled with grown stuff.

If you fill a trough with celery or farmed carrots it will last around 3 weeks to a month depending on the number of tames you are feeding. Have to be tames that eat veggies (like bears)

Potatoes ,Beets And carrots are the best as they have the highest Food value. We had about 6 throughs full with potatoes And Needed to refill once a month with over 150 bears

1 hour ago, zottel said:

Potatoes ,Beets And carrots are the best as they have the highest Food value. We had about 6 throughs full with potatoes And Needed to refill once a month with over 150 bears

I can easily get berries and I will place a second trough and fill both to the brim with berries. Hopefully that will keep em happy. 

4 hours ago, Batshit Krazy said:

I can easily get berries and I will place a second trough and fill both to the brim with berries. Hopefully that will keep em happy. 

It's not the quantity, they wont get through more than a few stacks, it's the spoil timer.

Check how long 1 berry lasts in a trough. If 100x that is longer than you will be away then even 1/2 a trough will be enough. ( people are saying the grown vegies as the spoil timer on those are huge compared to berries & they will eat less of them)

Also remember a bear will take 2-3 days to starve after the food runs out, so you have a little wiggle room on top of the spoil timers.

On 10/30/2019 at 3:51 AM, Jack Shandy said:

It's not the quantity, they wont get through more than a few stacks, it's the spoil timer.

Check how long 1 berry lasts in a trough. If 100x that is longer than you will be away then even 1/2 a trough will be enough. ( people are saying the grown vegies as the spoil timer on those are huge compared to berries & they will eat less of them)

Also remember a bear will take 2-3 days to starve after the food runs out, so you have a little wiggle room on top of the spoil timers.

I  appreciate the info on wiggle room. Makes me breath easier since I cant find veggies like potatoes. Only berries and meat, and some rice that I grow

15 minutes ago, Batshit Krazy said:

I  appreciate the info on wiggle room. Makes me breath easier since I cant find veggies like potatoes. Only berries and meat, and some rice that I grow

if you've started growing crops, ask around in your region for seeds.

Once you start growing, seeds quickly become plentifull, I started with the handful I gathered by hand, now I've nearly filled a large storage box.

1 hour ago, Batshit Krazy said:

If you fill your trough with your rice, that would work well, too. Basically any grown food will last longer than picked food.

Test your "wiggle room" feed your bears to full. Remove all food and check your bears food level after 24 hours. It should let you know just how long the bears will go without any food. They will not all be the same. It should be days.

Wanted to tame a crow or two last night, so i took a half dozen shovels and went out to dig for earthworms. when all shovels were broken I had a good lot of worms, but also had over 500 potatoes.

Not as efficient as farming, but in a pinch that is a reasonable haul, good for taming too if you've not started a farm yet.

OP: those 500 potatoes in a trough will last a long time.

As a role of thumb, the more food a type of food recovers for you, the more it gives to tames.
I did some testing with food for bears. It was to avoid bears eating the meat ment for meat eater babies.
food - food refill
salted meat 12,5

berry 20

raw meat 25

veggie 65 - all planted vegitables that give 5 food to a human. So no wheat nore maize (1.5 food). Wild are like berries, celery and rice are better again. Just eat and check yourself.

Bears and such will life 6 days without feeding with ease, the basic food consumption when ideling is so low. Food is consumed activeliy when refilling stam or Hp.

In general for feeding for long periodes, it is about the spoil timer more then the food value. But veggies combine both. Not for meateater tho 🙂

KuKumba

13 minutes ago, Daigari said:

Celery is the best food for wegetable pets, Girafe easy to farm celery.

Might be easy to farm with a girafe, but traveling half a dozen regions to get there isn't so easy.

there is no problem to fill the feeders and buffets with celery, and bring just a couple of dozen feeders and buffets. One stack in the feeder spoils for more than a month.

Bears like Honey and Honey doesn't spoil. Load the bears up with honey and as long as they are parked (and not being ridden or active), they'll slowly consume the honey. Should have plenty of time.

Note: If you've already sorted this and are back from Vacation. This info may be useful for the next reader! 🙂 

• Thanks 3