Sign in to follow this  
Jim Prackett

Tundra limitations? Biome Types?

Now i’m not a helpless noob, i don’t need to be handheld but i am new. I’m mainly asking so i can know what i can/can’t do in the cold. 

Are there enough resources to survive? Like regular supply of metal, wood, thatch, the basics? What about less abundant things like sugar or honey? Also, what about farming/raising? Can you only grow biome appropriate food and tames? 

I like the snow, and in any non-snow area there’s 50+ people in all the normal regions which means every square inch of land/shipyards are taken. I spawned at islabds for about 5 hours researching every place to build at haha

Last question, could someone explain the differences between desert, temperate, tropics and equator? They all sound so similar lol. Is there any variation in farming and taming in those regions as well? I just don’t wanna have to travel half this HUGE map for a resource 

Edited by Jim Prackett

7 minutes ago, Jim Prackett said:

Now i’m not a helpless noob, i don’t need to be handheld but i am new. I’m mainly asking so i can know what i can/can’t do in the cold. 

Are there enough resources to survive? Like regular supply of metal, wood, thatch, the basics? What about less abundant things like sugar or honey? Also, what about farming/raising? Can you only grow biome appropriate food and tames? 

I like the snow, and in any non-snow area there’s 50+ people in all the normal regions which means every square inch of land/shipyards are taken. I spawned at islabds for about 5 hours researching every place to build at haha

Last question, could someone explain the differences between desert, temperate, tropics and equator? They all sound so similar lol. Is there any variation in farming and taming in those regions as well? I just don’t wanna have to travel half this HUGE map for a resource 

Yes there is a very big difference between all of those biomes.

yes, there are some tames and also crops that can be grown in the tundra/polar regions.

the reason people stay closer to the equator is because there are more possibilities when you are there or close to the equator.

regardless of pve or pvp I would go to a lawless temperate region if I were you. You will be close enough to amount anything.

if you are on pve, I would recommend k12. Plenty of room and I could very easily show you all of the resources on that island as well as the neighboring islands in the region.

there are plenty of places to build. We are currently exploring and every damn island we go to one of the guys tries to build a base on it. Smh

It's a matter of choice. Many areas lack something. I live on the 15 line and have a small base on the 8 line. I make a run every so often for fiber and a few things.

I like the 15 line for a few reasons... few people, lots of space, different dangers like yeti. I mostly play solo and live there fine. It's been interesting learning how to live there.  The only things I really lack there is fruit and fiber. If needed I could get fruit from the sea and fiber is only a grid or two away. But you must keep a few bears.