Sign in to follow this  
seventhrider

handeling sails

so im confused on the sails in game, ive see multiple charts on speed sails to where people have calculated the percentage each sail will increase the max speed of the ship; but there isnt anything online on handling sails and how they affect turn rate i can see a difference on my galleon but i would like to know how much of a actual difference there is before i make changes to it.

Hi. Handeling sails are good if u want turn fast and also handeling sails catching wind almost all time, but they are slow really slow. Im using largest speedsails for all ships cause speed and turning arround is not issue at all its just little slower. So thats what i think about those sails.

3 hours ago, seventhrider said:

so im confused on the sails in game, ive see multiple charts on speed sails to where people have calculated the percentage each sail will increase the max speed of the ship; but there isnt anything online on handling sails and how they affect turn rate i can see a difference on my galleon but i would like to know how much of a actual difference there is before i make changes to it.

I wouldn’t bother with handling sails. We can bust a U turn on a dime in the game. Speed sails all the way and if it’s not a fighting ship you can just level in weight

Handling sails do not make you turn faster, it's your ship moving slower therefore, turning quicker. Raise your sails halfway to aid in turning. 

@RealistA galleon moving at full speed never turns on a dime.

Handling sails have their uses. If you don't like tacking as much, they come in handy. 

In Kraken fight and cyclones in a galleon, very handy.

Edited to add: Handling sails provide quicker acceleration than speed sails which, in certain situations can be advantageous.

Edited by 8ball

2 hours ago, 8ball said:

Handling sails do not make you turn faster, it's your ship moving slower therefore, turning quicker. Raise your sails halfway to aid in turning. 

Handling sails have their uses. If you don't like tacking as much, they come in handy. 

Edited to add: Handling sails provide quicker acceleration than speed sails which, in certain situations can be advantageous.

I will definitely keep that in mind for later on. Especially once we get ready for the big fights.

so far we have experimented with handling sails on the sloop and schooner and it didn’t help us at all. We have built a galleon but the guys that built it is taking his time on the design of it but I will let him know about the handling of a galleon.

he seems new to the game and if he is I would still recommend that he doesn’t bother with ha doing sails in the early stages of the game.

my captain dc’ed on the steering wheel when we were in the middle of a group of ship of the damned. I couldn’t steer so I had to use our large speed sail to force bump us as well as speed up and slow while maneuvering through them. Pretty scary but I got through it. Ran straight to land and right before we beached I threw the sail against the wind and anchored safely and the SoTD sailed off.

if we get a good wind we can road runner through them. This is our exploring boat so we don’t want to be fighting on it.

but yes I am sure they do have a very big impact on late to end game fights.

Edited by Realist

Okay where do i Start? Basicly the speedsails are 40% faster in a good wind angle than Handlingsails. Also handlingsails catch wind better they are only faster at about 70 degrees. So 35 degrees to the left And right when going from the southside of the Ship. Even if they are called handlingsails they only turn your ship faster with bad wind or at certain angles. The real differences between those 2 Starts when using higher Tier blueprints. The acceleration is a max speed Bonus that adds about 1,5% max Speed per % on acceleration. The effective angle increases the degree at which wind is caught, which means that if you have effective angle on them you could Sail against the wind with almost full Speed. The Turning effectivness on speedsails defines how fast your ship Turns with good wind And full Speed. Sorry for that wall of Text but my Smartphone sucks. Might add a detailed Sail Guide at some point^^

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zottel said:

Okay where do i Start? Basicly the speedsails are 40% faster in a good wind angle than Handlingsails. Also handlingsails catch wind better they are only faster at about 70 degrees. So 35 degrees to the left And right when going from the southside of the Ship. Even if they are called handlingsails they only turn your ship faster with bad wind or at certain angles. The real differences between those 2 Starts when using higher Tier blueprints. The acceleration is a max speed Bonus that adds about 1,5% max Speed per % on acceleration. The effective angle increases the degree at which wind is caught, which means that if you have effective angle on them you could Sail against the wind with almost full Speed. The Turning effectivness on speedsails defines how fast your ship Turns with good wind And full Speed. Sorry for that wall of Text but my Smartphone sucks. Might add a detailed Sail Guide at some point^^

So would a master work speed sail only add acceleration and not more speed? 

hopefully it would add a lot more speed or blueprints wouldn’t be too useful for that

2 hours ago, Realist said:

hopefully it would add a lot more speed or blueprints wouldn’t be too useful for that

Max speed stat has been removed from speed sails as per patch notes. only stat I know is turning effectiveness on speed sail.
I might be wrong so feel free to correct me.

5 hours ago, Realist said:

They removed the speedstat for now,but the Turning effectivness is awesome too^^ And you wouldneed a Handlingsail with 130% acceleration to be as fast as a speedsail 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 8ball said:

Actually if you open Handling Sails at 5% and attempt to turn in place it is MUCH faster than with the other sails types. I have a hard time believing that doesn’t carry over when moving at full speed.

Well on the Brig I would go for all speed sails. For the Galleon I would go for 4 speed sails and 2 handling sails, you will be thankful for putting them on a Galleon, that thing is bad enough to turn without them. Just my opinion though, if you want full speed and not bothered about turning on Galleon then go all speed sails.

As someone who grew up sailing, it bugs me that the handling sail (I assume too for weight sail, however Ive never used them) work the opposite way they should.

When tacking or with any form of crosswind the sails should be pulled in, when running downwind the sail should be out. It is extremely confusing that its the opposite way. It often catches me out.

17 hours ago, zottel said:

They removed the speedstat for now,but the Turning effectivness is awesome too^^ And you wouldneed a Handlingsail with 130% acceleration to be as fast as a speedsail 

acceleration is defined at take off speed, don't you mean velocity?

I used to ask the same question(s), and have searched high and low, for the optimal ‘design’ in terms of sails.

Cannot find all the data anymore, but essentially for day to day use I concluded that speed sails all the way was the key.

Below should be understood as personal opinion, however it is based on all the tests done, and reading up extensively on the topic earlier on. Furthermore, below is purely based on day to day travels/farming, not taking into account ship battles, as there personal preference and fighting style of course plays some role.

Turning radius is poor regardless of which sails you put on a galleon, and if you use it to farm in other regions, you will simply want to get there as fast as possible and back again.

The optimal setup as the game is now, is 6 large speed sails, with max (but preferably only 2) cargo racks. It’s the optimal speed vs carry weight setup - just only fill the ship up to max 68% of its max weight. If you put on further cargo racks on or further weight on, the speed debuff will be too much and you can possibly be too slow to outsail SotD if you are carrying large quantities of cargo. Faster runs means more cargo end of the day. Weight sails will do nothing for you as the speed debuffs will be larger than the above setup and you will just take a lot longer time to move back and forth although perhaps carrying a TINY bit more cargo.

As the speed decrease with handling sails are what it is, you gain nothing from moving slower, which certainly apply to a cargo galleon as the handling sails will do close to nothing for its turning radius. That you catch wind better is still not a plus, as speed sails will still get you there faster but you just will not go in a straight line but rather zig zag.

Cannot provide much more info on handling sails, aside from simply saing that they are useless on ships which is used for farming, but offers movability on battleships (not on a galleon though).

Other  info and perhaps useful tips on ships in general:

Sloops are seightseeing ships essentially, they cannot carry much and is the slowest ship in the game. Suggest you just make one and be done with it. We use ours to jump between islands simply gathering discovery points. Could be done with a schooner as well, but the sloop is cheap and easy to repair. If it is purely a seightseeing ship for discovery points, use the sloop and do a region per day, then anchor up and sail on to the next region the next day.

Schooners which are the second fastest ship makes for great whaling/hydra killers, and will get you around fast (faster than brig as well). But as the weight is not that great and cargo racks and weight sails will do nothing positive for it (galleon should be the go to for farming always) you have little other use for it.

Brigs, being the third fastest, with decent weight, but nothing useful for farming if you can build a galleon, are of little use on the day to day runs. Best battle ship in my opinion though, there the galleon cannot even hold its dirty underwear.

I like the brig with 2 speed sails and 1 handling sail, but it is the way I fight that makes such work for me (and no, I do not go for the ugly shotgun build where you kite SotD, I like the old look and exhanging beoadsides, although it carry greater risk - if you want the optimal battlebrig, go for a shotgun build and take a nap while fighting).

Look us up in K6, we are on the top right island (for now). If I’m there, I tend to answer if asked for, and have no issue with helping out when possible.

5 hours ago, lordkhan4444 said:

acceleration is defined at take off speed, don't you mean velocity?

No i mean the acceleration on handlingsails. Find the Name of the stats confusing as they can easily be mistaken. Before the wipe i had my gally Equipped with 6 Handlings that had 135% acc And was alot faster than speedsails And i could even sail against the wind. 

On 10/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, Hexaron said:

Here @8ball   

That's a nice vid but my comments stand. Tried and tested by the seat of my pants since last December. Others have posted more in depth analyses in this thread than I have. And still more folks have provided very in depth mathematics in the past. As search may bring them up.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, zottel said:

No i mean the acceleration on handlingsails. Find the Name of the stats confusing as they can easily be mistaken. Before the wipe i had my gally Equipped with 6 Handlings that had 135% acc And was alot faster than speedsails And i could even sail against the wind. 

well im still confused acceleration has NOTHING to do with top speed like your saying, acceleration is getting from 0 to 60 just a bit quicker. so they need to change the BP name to top speed increase.

I’ve never heard acceleration on handling sails increasing top speed.

Here is my take on it from my experience:

If your ship is travelling at top speed, regardless of handling or speed sails, you will not turn your ship at it’s fastest rate. This is because your ship turns it quickest at a certain speed.

Handling sails are closer to that speed than speed sails, and adjusting them to get to that speed is quicker. You’ll also accelerate faster from that reduced speed.

The trick to getting to that speed with speed sails is not to furl the sails, but to turn them into the wind. Depending on the angle of the wind, you may still need to furl them to get down to that speed.

This is most noticeable on a galleon, but you can also replicate this in a schooner. Get the schooner to full speed with the wind blowing to either port or starboard. Trying turning into the wind. Then, do the same thing, but this time turn the sails into the wind first.

This is how I avoid ships of the damned with our galleon. They pop up, I turn the sails into the wind, turn the ship, then catch the wind again.

My sloop currently only has a handling sail... But that's more for aesthetics than anything haha 

She isn't a fast ship but hey I like how it looks and sailing into the wind is useful. 

IMG-64fd423e-310e-4262-a66a-76029868b714

If we compare basic sails with base stats, speed sails give more speed, handling give wind independence. 

The big difference comes with crafted sails. While the speed sails have their speed bonus disabled, the handling ones have it. Yes, it is called Acceleration, which is misleading. It is a speed bonus.

Currently, the ultimate sail in the game is Large Handling Sail with 130% and above Acceleration post craft.

How acceleration has nothing to do with speed? How do you get to a given speed? Why dont you go faster or slower. Why you can not go faster sometimes?

There is alot of info available about sails. Many things stated here are just plain wrong.
If you want to find info about sailing and sails etc, just see what @Simonsays095wrote.

Turning: Just compare a fighter brig with handlingsails to a normal speed sail brig. Is it night and day in terms of turning?