Aegis

taming Taming Elephant

I cannot tame elephant at all

i tried to use a normal wall trap, but cannot feed the elephant even i see the (Feed Wheat to Tame), keep pressing E, nothing happen

using a pillar trap, also does not work

using billboard trap, i did manage to get to feed it, but need to feed from the inside, and the elephant hit box are so big, you will get hit everytime you get close to it.

they need to fix this issue

I usally do billbord trap. And as you say have to be on the inside. I use feed and then step back out of attack range. An rinse and repeat works well. And also wear armor to so i can take a few more hits

I've tamed about 20 in the past and 2 lower level ones since the last wipe. This week I made 20 attempts to tame a 21 and failed to find the box or was killed or didn't dps it's HP down fast enough every time.

People have always reported trouble taming them and many have reported never being able to.

For what its worth.... I...

I never had wheat so I always use cocoa, where your best armor, use a trap, move in under the front right leg to feed,  cam around and find the box, feed and get out of  range quick, keep track of the feed timer and count in your head, save the last feed in every bolo cycle to the last few seconds, start with extra of everything in inventory, kill all other wildlife around before you start, place a bed nearby, if its your first time, find a level 1.

If all else fails, maybe I'll sell one of my low level ones.

M8 E15 if I'm on. With the XP changes, its likely I wont be.

Good luck!

58 minutes ago, Aegis said:

i tried to use a normal wall trap, but cannot feed the elephant even i see the (Feed Wheat to Tame), keep pressing E, nothing happen

using billboard trap, i did manage to get to feed it, but need to feed from the inside, and the elephant hit box are so big, you will get hit everytime you get close to it.

Some of the elephants are just broken. It is happening to me as well. Get the feed text in blue to press Y but when you press why it just doesn’t work.

they should probably fix it soon.

My suggestion would be to not use a trap at all if it keeps glitching out. Elephants are easily tamable without a trap. So try that. 

Tame elephants using a bear and no trap.  Use wheat.....using anything else is a giant pain.  Always feed the elephant from its belly side.  If its body has fallen on a flat surface or legs facing downhill you can easily walk up between its legs and inch forward so you permanently get the feed icon and can watch the timers without getting hit.  When the surface is uneven or blocked by trees, rocks, pillars, trap it can be very difficult and you have to use the dive and retreat method.

The only issue I typically run into is killing the tame because my dumbass forgot to put my bear on passive or another creature (ie cobras god I hate you)  slithers up and kills it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

If its body has fallen on a flat surface or legs facing downhill you can easily walk up between its legs and inch forward so you permanently get the feed icon and can watch the timers without getting hit. 

Have you tamed any recently? I can't find that "without getting hit" area anymore. That only works for me when he is resting. My last attempt, he bucked like a madman the whole time. I got 2 low level ones only by living through the hits.

Edited by Gemini Five

8 minutes ago, Gemini Five said:

Have you tamed any recently? I can't find that "without getting hit" area anymore. That only works for me when he is resting. My last attempt, he bucked like a madman the whole time. I got 2 low level ones only by living through the hits.

Yes, recently. 

It's happening to our company too.  We've tamed plenty of elephants but here lately we tried to tame a few higher levels and we've tried the right side by the ear/ face.  Near the belly  and even getting hit face on and nothing.  Feed text is there but wont tame.  This is sign trapped regular trap and we even tried freed.  

The static sweet spot is very hard to find, but dodging in and out works quite well.

I used about 1/4 of a med kit taming a level 27 & 30 on the 2x weekend.

Good timing and quickly getting them re-bolaed, helps getting them tamed at max level.

3 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

Tamed two of them about a week ago.  Possible an update the last week broke something, but thats how it was a week ago and the previous several months for me.  Its been pretty consistent since they fixed some issues with it in the spring or early summer.  Don't remember exactly when. 

Edited by DocHolliday

On 10/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, Aegis said:

I've found that the best way to tame is generally not to use pens at all. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 1:10 PM, DocHolliday said:

Tame elephants using a bear and no trap.  Use wheat.....using anything else is a giant pain.  Always feed the elephant from its belly side.  If its body has fallen on a flat surface or legs facing downhill you can easily walk up between its legs and inch forward so you permanently get the feed icon and can watch the timers without getting hit.  When the surface is uneven or blocked by trees, rocks, pillars, trap it can be very difficult and you have to use the dive and retreat method.

The only issue I typically run into is killing the tame because my dumbass forgot to put my bear on passive or another creature (ie cobras god I hate you)  slithers up and kills it. 

that works well 😄

tamed 2 elephants and 1 giraffe with this method

Ran in to this with a rhino, the text shows but can't feed.

I changed my approach from behind foreleg to approaching it just off of full on face. It was very tricky finding the right spot as it's just on the edge of it's hit box 

I wore armor, had a monkey and medkit.

I've always used traps, tamed all the main animals so far in them but yes they do glitch. they spin around inside but they are still tamable. I use the armour also for taming, usually wait until x2 weekend for taming, rarely do it during the week to be honest but can still do it.

This bug in the traps has been in the game for as long as I can remember, I don't know why it hasn't been put on the list to be fixed, surely not that hard to just put in an update, they've added alot more less important things in there before these fixes.

I tried taming one about 2 hours ago on Xbox. I got the Y prompt to feed it but no matter how many times i hit the button it would not take work . It wasn't even trying to attack me. Waited till he got up and bolaed it again to make sure it wan't me and same thing, got the prompt but it just doesn't work

Always approach the tame from the leg side.  Pretty universal approach for most tames.  Inch in very carefully.  If this still does not work you either have the wrong food in the hotbar (has to be in slot 0) or its bugged. 

If everyone having this issue has the right food and its in the hotbar properly.......does Xbox have a hotbar with 1 though 0?  Just realized that could be completely different for Xbox players.  Anyway it needs to have the right food in the right hotbar.  As I said its "0" for PC players.  If you approach them from the back side and try to feed from the top/back area of the head many tames including elephants do not work. 

Edited by DocHolliday

On 10/31/2019 at 1:34 PM, DocHolliday said:

Always approach the tame from the leg side.  Pretty universal approach for most tames.  Inch in very carefully.  If this still does not work you either have the wrong food in the hotbar (has to be in slot 0) or its bugged. 

If everyone having this issue has the right food and its in the hotbar properly.......does Xbox have a hotbar with 1 though 0?  Just realized that could be completely different for Xbox players.  Anyway it needs to have the right food in the right hotbar.  As I said its "0" for PC players.  If you approach them from the back side and try to feed from the top/back area of the head many tames including elephants do not work. 

i forget the button, but its the far right hotbar slot.

Visited an island recently where elephants used to spawn but because people had built so many massive, eyesore, lag-inducing traps not one single elephant was to be found. They had killed all the spawns with their traps.

There really is no need to build any kind of trap at all for the main harvesting tames such as elephant, giraffe or rhino.  Use a bear to get the tame's heath down, then bola it from the bear.  At most, when taming bears it makes it easier to use billboards or put down thatch foundations and walls around horses because they are a real pain to catch again but it still amazes me the number of lazy people who put down 4 bill boards round a bear then once it's tamed, demolish only 1 and then sod off.  They are just as bad as those who build a ramped trap and leave it there for other people to get their tames stuck in or the ones who build a trap and put a bed on a single foundation next to the trap and keep resetting the timers by hopping back to see if their crappy construction has anything better than a level 1 sheep in it.

For elephants, pop down a thatch foundation and bed just to be safe.  Use wheat, deal damage and bola from a bear then either put your bear on passive or as I prefer, if it is on neutral, move it a good distance out of range then do the quick in, feed, retreat if it's hard to find the sweet spot and it often is.  Kill any other elephants or anything that will aggro that is getting too close for comfort with your bear or by other means during the feed count-down.  Rinse and repeat and then demolish that foundation and bed before leaving.

Having as many points in taming proficiency as possible and having been present at a sperm whale kill in the arctic regions for the achievement and 30% extra taming proficiency or what ever it is will help speed up the taming process for any animal greatly.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:05 PM, Realist said:

Some of the elephants are just broken. It is happening to me as well. Get the feed text in blue to press Y but when you press why it just doesn’t work.

they should probably fix it soon.

Wouldn’t bet on it getting fixed I really wish they would but it’s been a known bug for sooooooo long Blackwood map is completely broken and has been since they released it no wheat on the entire map half the resources are either straight up missing or mixed up there’s very few sotd in ocean for that matter even the fish are missing not to mention sharks etc elephants can’t be fed attal or 1 out of 20 attempts instead these game devs focus on taking the fun stuff like gliders and nerf the crap out of them and adding stupid pet hats instead of fixing the known bugs that exist within game and make stupid decisions like making ships cost gold to build I like the armoured docks but seriously there on for official servers but useless for people who just want to play and have fun make it an option to turn off gold cost in game options and JUST FIX THE FEEDING BUG

Edited by silentzoner
Spelling mistake