Sign in to follow this  
Sir Green Day

How do you get crew to repair your ship and where do you store repair resources?

I have 3 crew with 2 on the sails. 

My one crew member that's not assigned to the sails just stands around moving his hand on and off his heart and chanting something. 

I saw several videos where that 3rd NPC had a,broom sweeping animation,  but mine doesn't do that, he chants to some unknown deity. Lol

I thought that if you had enough resources in the resources box, that the crew would automatically repair as long as your anchored, 

I have hundreds of wood, fiber etc in the ships resource box,  but when I look at a ships part, it says I have 0 of all of these resources.  

So I guess I'm not sure where to keep these resources.  

Edited by Sir Green Day

37 minutes ago, Sir Green Day said:

I have 3 crew with 2 on the sails. 

My one crew member that's not assigned to the sails just stands around moving his hand on and off his heart and chanting something. 

I saw several videos where that 3rd NPC had a,broom sweeping animation,  but mine doesn't do that, he chants to some unknown deity. Lol

I thought that if you had enough resources in the resources box, that the crew would automatically repair as long as your anchored. 

- Your NPC is probably on wandering.Stay in front of him,hold E until the option wheel occurs and then click "Disable Wandering".

- But the crew only repairs the planks and gunports.If your ship resourcebox is filled with enough fibers,thatch,wood,hide and metal then choose the repair hammer to your hotbar and you can repair the sails,deck  and other structures by yourself without having resources in your inventory. Just stand in front of the structure with repairhammer selected and the game shows you the repair text.

Edited by Terra Incocnita

35 minutes ago, Sir Green Day said:

I have hundreds of wood, fiber etc in the ships resource box,  but when I look at a ships part, it says I have 0 of all of these resources. 

If you do not have a repair hammer in your hand, when you look at something that needs repairs, it will only consider repair resources that are in your personal inventory. The repair hammer has the ability to remotely pull repair resources from the ship resources box.

2 hours ago, Terra Incocnita said:

- Your NPC is probably on wandering.Stay in front of him,hold E until the option wheel occurs and then click "Disable Wandering".

- But the crew only repairs the planks and gunports.If your ship resourcebox is filled with enough fibers,thatch,wood,hide and metal then choose the repair hammer to your hotbar and you can repair the sails,deck  and other structures by yourself without having resources in your inventory. Just stand in front of the structure with repairhammer selected and the game shows you the repair text.

OK,  I git the repair hammer part of it working, but when I look at broken planks it says I need wood, metal, fibers and thatch.

Once I put enough mats in my inventory I can repair the planks myself, but how do I get the crew to do this? 

Edited by Sir Green Day

Make a second repair hammer and put it into the main inventory of the crew member you want to do repairs.  This can be any crew member but they must be unseated when you are anchored.  You will see the sweeping animation but there is a delay before the actual repairs take place, so you have to be anchored a short while.

20 minutes ago, Slado said:

Make a second repair hammer and put it into the main inventory of the crew member you want to do repairs.  This can be any crew member but they must be unseated when you are anchored.  You will see the sweeping animation but there is a delay before the actual repairs take place, so you have to be anchored a short while.

OK.

But im still nit sure where the mats need to be stored because when I look at a damaged plank for instance, it appears to be going by the resources I have in my personal inventory, as far as what is needed to do the repair.  

I have all the resources in my ships box,  but its ignoring all of those. 

Am I making sense?  Lol

Yeah, it will always show what repair resources are needed when you look at the plank or anything else on the ship.  As the previous posters have said, if you have the mats in your inventory, you can repair direct from there.  If you don't have the mats in your own inventory (that is when you will see that you have 0 of 1 or more of the required mats) but the mats are in your ship resources box you can repair only if you have the repair hammer equipped.

Npcs will start doing the sweeping animation when unseated, wandering isn't on and your ship is anchored.  Providing all the needed resources are available in the ship resource box and one unseated npc has a repair hammer in their inventory, the repairs will start after being anchored for a short while.  I'm not sure if this is once you are fully anchored and the anchor icon above your ship turns from white to green, I have never really checked that.  I usually anchor, hop off the ship and when I come back, the repairs are done.  As Terra says above though, npcs don't repair everything on the ship.

This may be a daft question but you are using the specific ship resources box learned from the Captineering tree yes?  It won't work if you are using a general storage box.  So basically, all your mats need to be in the ship resources box in order that you can repair with your own hammer or an npc with a hammer can repair what it can when unseated and your'e anchored.

Hope that helps 😉

ship resource box for the materials they do not need repair hammers on them ,, and crew unseated from sails or other , they will after a small delay and ship anchored , provided u have resources needed begin to repair the ship planks , u will know this by the sweeping animation 

most of the folks h ave answered your question. 

1) Ship Resources Box needs to be on the ship somewhere and have all the resources to repair the ship planks, decks and sails. As well as anything needed to repair other items

2) NPC needs to be standing on deck.

3) ship needs to be anchored

if all the above is done, the NPC will eventually start "sweeping". This will start repairing the ship (planks, decks and I think sails (not 100% sure)).

If you want to repair other items or do repairs while sailing:

1) put all materials in the Ship Resources Box (note: this also reduces the weight of the mats and they stack more)

2) make and equip (put on hotbar and select) a Repair Hammer

Now, you can go around and hit things and start the mini-game or where available hit "E" to repair without doing the game. You might have to open the options wheel to do the repair.