Snugglequine

Locked to first person on ship wheel.

For some reason my character is locked to first person on when using the ship wheel. I've looked at a bunch of suggestions but nothing works. 

- There is nothing near my wheel, it's in the middle of a 3x4 ceiling with nothing else. 

- I've rejoined the game, and I've even killed my character, but no effect. 

- First person riding is off. 

- Another Company member can use the wheel and has the third person camera, it just won't give me third person. 

Getting very frustrated with this. Help is appreciated. 

Same thing happened to me ages ago but I think it's cos mine was on an upper deck, as in one i'd made myself not a smithy one. cos when I moved it down it was ok.

You might have to submit a ticket, I know you prob have done a steam file integrity too as most of us do, and I can't think of any reason its still happening, best of luck, hope it gets sorted soon.

I have been having this issue as well, but I just figured out what it is(at least in my case.)

IF THE FRONT OF YOUR STEERING WHEEL IS CLIPPING INTO ANY OBJECTS SUCH AS RAILINGS, THEN IT WILL BE CONSIDERED OBSTRUCTED.

IF WALLS ARE PLACED AROUND THE STEERING WHEEL THEN IT WILL BE CONSIDERED OBSTRUCTED.

If the piece on the front(side opposite of where the character stands when Manning the steering wheel) has anything clipping into it simply either dismantle the object, or move the wheel back farther.

CheckmatePlayhouse has the right of it. Your steering wheel can't be "obstructed". for instance, if you have a ceiling tile, put a railing along one edge, then the steering wheel next to the railing, you will only be in first person view. Pick up the wheel, slide back from the rail at least a railings width, then place wheel back down. You should be able to go into third person view. Also, if you have any walls/ceilings above the wheel, you'll be obstructed. You can have railings to either side ( ceiling tile with three railing on it). Also, I've noticed if you put a roof/ramp towards the wheel...let see if I can stick figure that... /_o_\   as a bit of protection, that will also be obstructed... 

15 hours ago, CHECKMATEPLAYHOUSE said:

I have been having this issue as well, but I just figured out what it is(at least in my case.)

IF THE FRONT OF YOUR STEERING WHEEL IS CLIPPING INTO ANY OBJECTS SUCH AS RAILINGS, THEN IT WILL BE CONSIDERED OBSTRUCTED.

IF WALLS ARE PLACED AROUND THE STEERING WHEEL THEN IT WILL BE CONSIDERED OBSTRUCTED.

If the piece on the front(side opposite of where the character stands when Manning the steering wheel) has anything clipping into it simply either dismantle the object, or move the wheel back farther.

55 minutes ago, Geminia_Sierra said:

CheckmatePlayhouse has the right of it. Your steering wheel can't be "obstructed". for instance, if you have a ceiling tile, put a railing along one edge, then the steering wheel next to the railing, you will only be in first person view. Pick up the wheel, slide back from the rail at least a railings width, then place wheel back down. You should be able to go into third person view. Also, if you have any walls/ceilings above the wheel, you'll be obstructed. You can have railings to either side ( ceiling tile with three railing on it). Also, I've noticed if you put a roof/ramp towards the wheel...let see if I can stick figure that... /_o_\   as a bit of protection, that will also be obstructed... 

As stated in my initial post, there is nothing near the wheel. It is not obstructed in any way what-so-ever. 

However I've found a solution to the problem. Selecting to toggle third person in the radial menu while using the wheel. Using the menu button to select the option is the only way it selects when the radial menu is lock up on the screen. 

Hopefully that'll help anyone else who has the same issue as me. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 3:48 PM, Snugglequine said:

As stated in my initial post, there is nothing near the wheel. It is not obstructed in any way what-so-ever. 

However I've found a solution to the problem. Selecting to toggle third person in the radial menu while using the wheel. Using the menu button to select the option is the only way it selects when the radial menu is lock up on the screen. 

Hopefully that'll help anyone else who has the same issue as me. 

This has become quite frustrating to me  as well. I'm stuck in third person but my friends can use the wheel and will be in third person, so the "is the wheel obstructed" is of no consequence in this matter.

To test it even, i built a ship in singleplayer, added the bottom and top deck and just the wheel and it STILL pulls me into third person. There is nothing else on the ship!

In my official game I've moved the wheel all over the ship, demolished things  and it still doesn't do any good. The fact that it even does this in singleplayer is troubling. I've tried to toggle using this suggestion and that doesn't seem to work for me either. I submitted a ticket about three days ago, haven't heard back yet.

Happened to me once when I tried to put my steering wheel inside a cabin. Once I put it "outside" it wasn't an issue. I also have my steering wheel on raised decks with no issue. 

On 11/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, Evan Cross said:

This has become quite frustrating to me  as well. I'm stuck in third person but my friends can use the wheel and will be in third person, so the "is the wheel obstructed" is of no consequence in this matter.

To test it even, i built a ship in singleplayer, added the bottom and top deck and just the wheel and it STILL pulls me into third person. There is nothing else on the ship!

In my official game I've moved the wheel all over the ship, demolished things  and it still doesn't do any good. The fact that it even does this in singleplayer is troubling. I've tried to toggle using this suggestion and that doesn't seem to work for me either. I submitted a ticket about three days ago, haven't heard back yet.

I'm curious, have you tried the equivalent of the scroll wheel on the controller? In PC, (sorry don't play xbox) if i scroll in I can go to first person view and scroll out to third. I have let go of the wheel in first person to say use the telescope. Then took the wheel again and stayed in first person until I scrolled out. Perhaps this is the issue? I'd also check settings

You can change from first to third person on the xbox but we don't have the fov option in settings like the pc version.