Sign in to follow this  
Blackapocolypse

How to claim land and understanding settlement points ?

Hi guys

I'm a new player on xbox with a couple of questions. Sorry in advance if this has been asked many times before. I cant find the answer any where.

So I'm playing on official pve, but I don't understand how to claim an island. My friend and i found an unclaimed island. We went to place a flag down and it came up saying we don't have enough settlement points. It showed we had 0 points out of 73.

How do we get settlement points ? 

Also to claim an island do we need to pay gold upfront and then ongoing after that to keep the island ? 

I'd really appreciate any help on this, I realise it's a noob question but I seriously can't find the answer.

Thanks guys

You gain a set number of claim points based on the number of members in your company. Once you have enough points you can attempt to place a claim flag on an unclaimed island. This costs increasing amounts of gold based on the point total of the island. Whoever places the flag needs that gold in their inventory. You cannot claim lawless or freeports. This places the flag and then you have to wait an hour for the process to countdown. If someone decides to contest your claim on pve they need to drop a flag in the radius of control of your flag while claiming. This halts the timers on both flags. If you pull up your flag and move it, it costs the initial gold amount again. On pve this mostly does not happen except in the case of popular islands that may have people watching and waiting for the current owners to go into default. At the end of that hour you get a message and the island is yours. You need to place the initial claim amount of gold into the flag every 12 hours to keep maintenance on the flag. If you don't, you lose the claim and the process starts all over again. If the cost to claim was 50g, then you will need 100g every day to maintain that flag. Only people in your company can add/remove stuff from the flag, and you can admin lock the contents if needed.

You, as the owner then can set the tax rate and message for the island. The current cap is 20%. This is an additive amount in the case of resources. Nothing is taken from the harvester. Those that do treasure maps on your island do however have gold taken from their total. You can destroy any NEW structure placed within 24 hours. You receive a message when someone "settles" on your island. If they place a foundation you receive a message, but other actions trigger that message too. You cannot remove structures that have been there longer than 24 hours, then the normal 10 day decay timers apply.

• Thanks 1

Adding to UnknownSystemError's answer.

The UI for how it displays settlement points is not well designed in its current form. The context of how you see the points is while looking at an island so you naturally assume that message has something to do with that island, but it doesn't. The context for the message "0 points out of 73" is actually global and not related to the island you are looking at/on. The message reads "Your company has used 0 settlement points globally of your max allowed 73."

In your situation though, I believe you are getting another claim prevention error for a different UI design flaw. That is that Lawless regions give you every indication that it's a claimable island server grid, but it's not. You cannot place a claim flag in a Lawless region, you will always just have a red un-placeable claim flag in that grid. You can confirm this by bringing up your inventory screen and at the top middle, it will tell you what grid you are in, what type the grid is, and what biome it is.