Gemini Five

Suggestion: Fast travel with ship.

I've made a lot of long trips over the last year and it's getting a bit old. So I suggest this...

Every 3rd or forth grid, top to bottom and left to right have a fast travel point on it, on the map. You click the one closest  to your destination. Then the next grid line you sail through, you spawn at that fast travel point.

This leaves you still needing to sail a good ways but not 2 hours. Sailing 2 or 3 grids can be interesting. Sailing 12 grids is not interesting.

Nope... get over it... distance is protection... distance makes things worth something needed for economy... it is part of the survival aspect in a survival game... makes competing over specific islands worth something... would also kill any possible ship encounter even more...

As useless as the idea to make the ships faster, to the point they are past you before the render...

Dont need the whole server jump into any grid at any time from anywhere like a bunch of imperial star destroyers coming out of hyperspacer...

If you dont like long travel, dont choose a huge map server like official... otherwise get organised...

Option 3 - dont build roleplaying ships... light ships are faster... go light...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The game is pretty divided on fast travel options, I'd like to see it happen but doubt it ever will. But a schooner with one large speed sail is really fast if you're solo.

Something I did on an Ark server one time was to use a Stargate mod, but set it up so that only I could create them.   I placed them around the map and made is so that you need to discover them and learn their addresses before you could use them.

A variation of that, which might work in Atlas is maybe a type of whirlpool that links to another whirlpool in another grid; sort of an ocean variant of a stable wormhole.   Done right, there can be strategy related to how they are used and/or protetced (PVP).    And, since two can only connect to each other, they can provide options for a bit of fast travel, but not be like the boat equivalent of using a bed to hop around to all of the other beds in the tribe.

A limitation that could be applied is that after X number of uses(either per tribe/alliance or in total) within a certain time frame, the whirlpool becomes unusable for a bit; i.e. goes away to prevent dumping tons of ships into another area all at one time(penalty could be that the excess ships, for a tribe/alliance, could be randomly dumped around the Atlas, including to places without a whirlpool) . 

Or, maybe you need certain items/mats to summon or use the whirlpool.  Maybe it is something you have to get through exploration that has to be added to the ship, and not necessarily something you craft.

I like the sound of this especially if it was say A1 O1 A15 O15 and perhaps spawns to the 8's randomly maybe. The cyclones are a huge problem for us when we first built our sloop from freeport we lost it to a cyclone before we found an island to build on. Then after we levelled up our skills etc on a lawless region we tried to find a cheap island in the next size up with handling and speed sails and was surrounded by 5 cyclones with not even space to turn or get through no warning atall and then a ship of the dammed killed our boat we lost it all and then tried to swim to the island we were nearly at and lost our bear to a shark. Having wanted to move cos of some numpty harassing me to the point I had to report him and his company we r now nervous to move off the lawless region. Which sucks as we have someone that is building all over it!

11 hours ago, Jerryn said:

Ark

That was jumps on the same map/server...
We are talking changing grids. If there is a shortcut between two separate grids it is like traveling between ARK servers - zero time travel...
Was so much fun when wipers showed up out of nowhere... because every server was basically neighbour to every other server (btw with limited options in maps available, not 225 unique servers)...
Again distance and travel time is the life blood of Atlas... Why even have ships when you can just wormhole and avoid anyone...? Why even have politics if everyone can go everywhere right this second...? How to hide away after you got wiped, if the enemy is just seconds away no matter where you are...? Why even think of having any economy, if it is cheap (as in time invested) to travel...?

I find it very "interesting", that people are complaining that there is not much ship action, because ships get sunk more while anchored, etc... and everyone would like to play more on the sea... and then the moment some of those people are on the sea "It is so boring! We need fast travel so we don't have to spend so much time at sea!"...🙄

20 minutes ago, Sheepshooter said:

That was jumps on the same map/server...
We are talking changing grids. If there is a shortcut between two separate grids it is like traveling between ARK servers - zero time travel...
Was so much fun when wipers showed up out of nowhere... because every server was basically neighbour to every other server (btw with limited options in maps available, not 225 unique servers)...
Again distance and travel time is the life blood of Atlas... Why even have ships when you can just wormhole and avoid anyone...? Why even have politics if everyone can go everywhere right this second...? How to hide away after you got wiped, if the enemy is just seconds away no matter where you are...? Why even think of having any economy, if it is cheap (as in time invested) to travel...?

I find it very "interesting", that people are complaining that there is not much ship action, because ships get sunk more while anchored, etc... and everyone would like to play more on the sea... and then the moment some of those people are on the sea "It is so boring! We need fast travel so we don't have to spend so much time at sea!"...🙄

Yes, I know, and I was very clear on that, when setting the basis in the example(such as focusing on the fact you need to discover and limited numbers/locations) but the transforming it into an idea for the grid system.

And, I most certainly wasn't talking about having hundreds of them;  only a few.  And, I also suggested some idea for limitations to prevent the very scenario you are concerned about.  

Another could be that those methods are just one way, which means in PVE world, you would need to plan you trips better; and also when you go through one, you won't know where you will end up, so you will have some exploring to do to get back home(and same for PVP).  In PVP you might drop some place, but you will not be able to escape that way; and with only a few you probably are not going to drop into the grid you want to attack/wipe/etc.

Also, in an economy, were distance is an issue, the transportation is import (entire industries build around it).   If I am going to have to sail a long way to buy something, I may as well farm it myself.   As such, the idea of some one way travel points could open up the idea for trading routes and trading hubs.

I like the sailing in Atlas, but having seen this topic pop up a few times, thought I would throw out an idea for discussion. 

Soooo... the farthest you EVER have to sail is 8 grids in any one direction (if you have to go more than 8 grids North, then you should have went south :P). That's not THAT bad, and pretty much anything you really need to get that that's far away is available somewhere closer. Anything that's not... probably shouldn't be that easy to get in the first place.

Also... it's a sailing game. Don't like sailing that much? Get some Company members who do and send THEM on the longer runs...

It's not a sailing game exactly though is it, it's a survival mmo, with buildings and structures and islands etc. naval action is a sailing game.

I say just fix the damn wind. Takes so long to sail when in low wind. And cant ever see a reason to have low wind. Faster winds would make travel less boring. More exciting ship combat and more chance to crash if afk sailing.  Just up the wind speed by 50%  tho this might have negative effect on server performance.     Still      increase sailing speed is all that's needed