Sign in to follow this  
Atlaneer

Sharks keep killing crew from SOTD

How the he'll are we meant to get the crew when sharks eat them straight away is there a way of getting them quickly?

26 minutes ago, Chester2766 said:

If you have another player on your boat have him/her whistle npcs on your boat while you recruit them.  

But the sharks are already swimming around and go straight for them before u can even recruit them

I agree that it's not well tuned at the moment. I've tried a variety of ways to recruit crew from floatsom (when I was trying to upgrade to higher level crew) and I always end up feeling the game is straight up punishing me for recruiting them. "HOW DARE THOU RECRUIT SAILORS FROM THE SEA. <SMITE>"

One of the better ways I found was to park close, jump in using a diving suit, recruit with gold, and then immediately use the wheel menu with "Move to ship" to prevent loss of hired one. Even doing this, it's rare to be able to recruit all of them floating there, but at least you won't lose ones you spent gold on and the diving suit protects you from the shark aggro.

Edited by Vurmis

You can cut out the radial menu move to ship step as they will teleport onto the ship when you are on the ship if they are close enough.

Personally I just jump in then quickly pay them all then quickly get myself back on the boat. If you have a friend they can whistle them from the boat as well which should speed up their teleport.

a ballista off the side of the ship helps too. shoot the sharks then jump in and recruit.

Use a grappling hook and pull them onto the side of your ship (or halfway up the side for galleon) and then recruit them, then whistle onto your ship.

Open your gun ports it helps with the pathing. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Use a grappling hook and pull them onto the side of your ship (or halfway up the side for galleon) and then recruit them, then whistle onto your ship.

Open your gun ports it helps with the pathing. 

Thanks man didn't think of that will give that a go

I pull up along side the crate and and grapple the crate on. Then equip diving suit, dive in, hit E to recruit, radial them on the boat. Lost 1 of 20 today, and that is only because they sometimes get on the boat, then jump off.

I just grapple them onto the boat, sometimes the shark still gets them if you take too long, but if I dive into the water to recruit, seems the shark show up the moment I hit the water, but just grappling them seems to give you more time before the sharks show up. Another method is to use diving suit and speargun approach, go into the water and kill any sharks before you recruit, usually 1 or 2 will be in the area, sometimes 3, but once they are dead, it will take awhile before more show up.

Ahhhh yes, the good ol Shark mechanic. Thanks WildCard/Grapeshot for this poorly thought out feature.

That's right kids, Swimming Speed, Oxygen boosts, etc will allow you to swim to the bottom of the ocean and salvage entire ships that have sunk with ease! BUT WAIT! We can't have that can we???? Lets add 2-3 sharks spawns per sunken SoTD or Player Ship! Gotta make things unnecessarily exciting! Did you just sink a whole fleet of SoTDs? Congrats you just summoned like 10+ sharks! Good on you mate.

Did you know we have a handy dandy diving attachment that sharks wont attack for some reason? Well good news! If you are trying to save poor swimming crew members, well too bad!

Edited by Inigo