Sign in to follow this  
Salty Jack

WTF guys......

How come none of you called me and told me they added wild pirate camps to the single player mode ?....  you all know that is what I have been waiting for.... you ALL can consider yourselves un-friended from my non-existent Facebook page....

But before I cut you all out of my life for good I have two questions..... We’re they added to the Blackwood map ?... and do the include the ships patrolling around the islands they spawn on.....

Also, anything else you can tell me about this feature will make you a tiny bit less dead to me.....

😳

Yep, only in SP so I've heard, don't know if they are on Blackwood. And yes, they have patrolling ships on some of them. But they aren't as easy to take out as SODs because the patrolling pirate ships heal their damage and repair if given time, so if you don't keep the pressure on them, they may just keep repairing and coming after you. The first time I encountered one, I could not spot any NPCs, but then that was a few updates ago, now I see an NPC at the helm. The pirate ships are pretty generic looking, Brigs and Sloops so far, just a couple of masts on an open deck with the wheel. On the Brig, they have gunports only. On the sloop, there may be 4 guns on the top deck, the Schooner also has gunports, but nothing on top deck. I've tried boarding one, but you just slide off. I've heard someone on the forum saying they were able to recruit the NPC thus making the ship his, but then the land base opened up and sank it instead, don't know if that's true, haven't tried that myself.

The land bases have a myriad of defenses, too include cannons, ballista, puckles and swivelguns, and usually covering every approach. Fortunately they don't kill you with one shot, otherwise you'd never be able to take one out. Gotta remember, in SP, its only you. So best to use whatever cover is nearby, don't try to sneak, cause they will fire at you whenever you get in their field of fire. Have to get close enough to bring out whatever melee fighters are at the base, get them to follow you out a bit to where you can utilize cover and keep shooting at them till they die, then move into the gun positions. Usually, you have to knock them off the guns one at a time with a melee weapon, then kill them before moving to the next gun position. Most times they don't leave their positions unless you knock them off. Does no good to shoot at them while they are on the gun, bullets don't do nothing until you knock them off. Would be better if you could use a carbine and snipe them off, but not in this game.

One good tactic is before you make a raid, spend some time taming a bunch of wild pigs, get as many as you can, put them on attack your target and let them lose on the base. they have a knack of taking some of the melee fighters out, or at least, gives them more targets to shoot at. Kinda difficult taking out a base solo without some good tames.

Also, almost forgot, never found loot on the pirate ships I've sunk, they are only good for resources if you need them, no gold. The bases sometimes have gold, around 80 coins in one of the containers, sometimes you find 2 containers with gold, but not often. I've noticed they have added some upgraded loot on one of the last updates, like various blueprinted armor and stuff, nothing super fancy.

Edited by Shadow Wolfe
added content

Indeed..... I was under the impression they would not be added until phase 4.....

I read something in patch notes about 70 new island temples.....

were more islands added ?....

did they do away with all the duplicate islands ?....

The islands have anywhere from 2 to 4 pirate bases, some have ships but not all, I've encountered some large islands with 2 patrolling ships, guess it varies based on the size of the island. If you kill all the pirates associated with that base, to include any ships, you can then raise the flag and capture that base, it becomes your base. But I think some of the bases are bugged because even after you raise the flag, some of the buildings you can't enter until you destroy a wall or something to get into the storage containers for your customary 80 coins. Some of the bases are built in thatch or wood, you can use an axe on them, after several thousands whacks, you may be able to get through a wall or door, maybe carry multiple axes with you cause you will use them up. But some base buildings are made of stone, axes and picks don't work on them, what I've been doing on those, the ones that won't let you in after you capture the flag, is I have a foundation prebuilt and carry with me, as well as a large cannon and cannon balls for it, and since it won't let you set up the foundation too close to an enemy foundation, I just walk backwards until I can place the foundation in line with the wall or door I gotta take down. then I plop the cannon on the foundation and start shooting till I take the wall down. Haven't tried using a mortar, since I am maxed out on XP for awhile and don't have the mortar skills trained up, so can't really use one, might be an idea to set one up before the initial raid to pound the melee fighters. Can't really do that with a large or medium cannon since you gotta use line of sight with those and if you are in range of their guns, which you will be, they will just fire at you constantly. Only drawback is you can't reuse the cannon, have to demolish it after each use, which is another stupid concept, why can't I cart the cannon around, although, could put one on a cart to re-use, wonder why I didn't think of that before, have one bear hauling the cannon and another bear with a storage cart to carry all the ammo, gonna have to try that now...

But once all the bases on the island have been taken  the island becomes yours to do with as you wish. And once you take over every island in the grid, the grid becomes yours. I've only taken out 2 grids so far, been delayed because I'm building my castle right now from which I will launch my next raids to the surrounding grids.

they've added new islands. I know I went from M7 to M6 and the southern most island there has changed.

the WPE are have a lot of bugs as well.

• If you leave the sector and come back the encampments double/triple up. 
  • Some encampments on hills or raised grounds end up under ground. 
  • the pirates have auto-aim and precision aiming
  • Can't remove stuff from dead pirates unless you fight with tames.

One of my tactics to deal with the WPE is to get just into range of their cannon (yeah you  might take a hit or three) and place down floors and then a mortar. Then I shell the snot out of the place. The shelling will knock off the pirates on guns. 

If you don't want to loose any of the drops, go in with tames. I've used three,  four pigs and a bear. Also 3 bears. In this situation, you have to unmount your tame and smack any pirate on the head with a sword, then duck and run and let your tames beat up the pirates. One benefit of using tames in this manner, they will strip the bodies of their stuff. 

More good advice.... thanks.....

I think I’m gonna go home at lunch and get download started so I can play when I get home....

I might also put a dummy on the couch and throw a blanket over it so my wife thinks I’m watching tv with her allowing me an opportunity to check out the new changes....

😜