Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Winter Thorne

Has anyone hooked a grill up to water yet?

Recommended Posts

I've tried everything that used to work the last time I did it (long time ago...so could be remembering wrong), and I can't get the darn thing hooked up.  It's driving me nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got mine hooked up this weekend in fact 😎

The order of operations seems to matter a lot. Basically, I put a Stone Reservoir down on the ground and attached a straight water pipe sticking straight out the side of it over a floor piece. Put the grill in my hand and it gave me a snap option right onto the sticking out water pipe (it will put the bulb on the end of the water pipe roughly in the middle of the grill).

I did have one issue though. The space I was trying to do this in had ceiling pieces just above where I was doing this, and it kept wanting to snap on top of the ceiling. Removed those and it had the right snap point I was looking for and just put the ceiling back in after I was done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vurmis said:

I just got mine hooked up this weekend in fact 😎

The order of operations seems to matter a lot. Basically, I put a Stone Reservoir down on the ground and attached a straight water pipe sticking straight out the side of it over a floor piece. Put the grill in my hand and it gave me a snap option right onto the sticking out water pipe (it will put the bulb on the end of the water pipe roughly in the middle of the grill).

I did have one issue though. The space I was trying to do this in had ceiling pieces just above where I was doing this, and it kept wanting to snap on top of the ceiling. Removed those and it had the right snap point I was looking for and just put the ceiling back in after I was done.

Aha.   I've been trying to place the grill under a ramp, and it does keep wanting to pop up and place through the ramp floor.   But I'm also having an issue where the grill will not place on any floor tile that has a straight water pipe on it.  It keeps saying it's obstructed.  Did you see that too before you removed the ceiling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't have an issue, but I could have gotten lucky on my ground versus floor elevation difference. It just happened to be really close in the spot I was working in. I'd have to look more closely, but I wouldn't be surprised if my grill is floating off the floor piece a few inches ... lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

I've tried everything that used to work the last time I did it (long time ago...so could be remembering wrong), and I can't get the darn thing hooked up.  It's driving me nuts.

Glad to see you still kicking Winter. I look forward to meeting you at some point. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vurmis said:

I didn't have an issue, but I could have gotten lucky on my ground versus floor elevation difference. It just happened to be really close in the spot I was working in. I'd have to look more closely, but I wouldn't be surprised if my grill is floating off the floor piece a few inches ... lol.

Removing the ramps did the trick!  Thanks very much.  I could have been there for days trying to get that working.  🙂

8 hours ago, Realist said:

Glad to see you still kicking Winter. I look forward to meeting you at some point. 👍

Kicking Winter is not allowed.

Yes, I'm still around.  I managed to get my island back after a Series of Unfortunate Events, so I'm still here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not overly enthused with one and only time I hooked one up, pre update at that. Of course, I was in a desert region, which was probably a bad idea, and already had my base built and the grill installed, so went looking til I found a spot that would give my reservoir 60% water supply, which was quite a distance away from the base. That's ok, started running straight pipes, ran out of length, or rather, you can only run them so far, plop down another reservoir, which was on dead ground, but no matter, once I rerouted the straight pipes to finally connect to that one, I was able to extend the pipes, it was a pain trying to get the pipes to intersect with the reservoir since they always want to place at weird angles, had pipes going in every direction, zigzagging across the landscape. Would of been a pain if it impeded your ability to walk through them. Finally got the pipes close to the grill but wouldn't connect, course, I didn't have the luxury of knowing about removing floor pieces and whatnot, but I finally got it to connect up after I put a drinking spout on the end of the pipe, then placed the grill on it, but the only way to get it to snap blew my floor plan all to hell, so much for architectural bliss. I just got tired of messing with it after that. You'd figure there would be an easier way to mesh that system out. The only reason I wanted to water the grill was to make making dyes quicker since I pretty much paint everything and am having to constantly be making more dye. But even with a full reservoir, the grill only has a 300 capacity, which is good for a few bottles of dye before you have to wait for it to refill to make more. My other method was for more quicker, using water jugs, could make 50 bottles at a pop that way using 10 jugs, just have to keep taking them to the water barrel to refill them after each use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Paragraphs are your friend.

Use them.

Wall o text won’t keep Mexicans out, but will keep people from reading your post.

Ola!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GRAW2ROBZ said:

Still looking for crystal yet before I can craft the grill.  Crystal and salt seem rare for the islands I explored. 

You can always dive in the ocean and collect shells for crystal if all you need is a dozen or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 4:30 PM, Winter Thorne said:

I've tried everything that used to work the last time I did it (long time ago...so could be remembering wrong), and I can't get the darn thing hooked up.  It's driving me nuts.

I don't know if it still works the same as it did but it was never terribly intuitive. You have to set the irrigation pipes up first and then the stove will snap underneath it. There may be other methods but that's what worked for me unless they changed it of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I don't know if it still works the same as it did but it was never terribly intuitive. You have to set the irrigation pipes up first and then the stove will snap underneath it. There may be other methods but that's what worked for me unless they changed it of course.

I ended up running the pipe along the wall, and the grill snapped to it somewhere in the back.  There are just a lot of oddities about what's around it at the time you're trying to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imgur Link to my set up.


Just come in half a wall high, and just enough that the bulb on the pipe shows. Place some pipes horizontally for each grill you want.

https://imgur.com/a/lNRbktx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For easy grill:
Place a well, attach 2 pipes, place another well (or what ever)
Replace first well with Grill.
DONT HAVE CEILING above grill while placing.
🥒 KuKumba 🥒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GRAW2ROBZ said:

Still looking for crystal yet before I can craft the grill.  Crystal and salt seem rare for the islands I explored.

desert regions have salt all over beaches , and as a rule crystal in the rocky areas 

g5 SE glendale has both within reach of each other 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, uli said:

desert regions have salt all over beaches , and as a rule crystal in the rocky areas 

g5 SE glendale has both within reach of each other 

Thanks.  I'll have to check it out after I make another boat.  My 14 cannon schooner got sunk yesterday.  Kinda took the wind out of my sails for playing.  Ended up just making another outpost on another island to level up large boats on tech tree.  Got to island by raft for new outpost.  Cause I accidentally reset my skill points in the freeport.  So some how I wasn't allowed to make medium sized boat pieces even though intermediate pathway was bought.  Only small pieces for planks.  Also I bought officer outfits and the game wont let me wear them.  Am I suppose to do a mission or I don't have some skills unlocked to wear it?  Or it is bugged?  I see there was a patch last night.  Maybe that fixed some stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really need two things in my opinion... allow pipes to snap to grill (ie, place grill where you want it and then snap a pipe to it) and then out to water supply. Along with that, they need flexible pipes

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geminia_Sierra said:

They really need two things in my opinion... allow pipes to snap to grill (ie, place grill where you want it and then snap a pipe to it) and then out to water supply. Along with that, they need flexible pipes

I vote for Sharkbite plumbing connectors.  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×