Sign in to follow this  
engraverwilliam

Jib sails really need to be added

Please ad Jib sails to the game!
image.jpeg.08314aa029a7ac751fcc36173e167ada.jpeg

My suggestion on how to introduce Jib sails beyond the cosmetics.

Once a Jib sail is crafted or looted,  (maybe have the blueprint found only in sunken ships)

....the player adds it to a box on the ship like a saddle on an animal.
You can have different abilities for different Jibs.
- Stationary  pivoting Jib
- Backing Jib
- Storm stabilization Jib (keep your ship going in a straight line in a typhoon)

different tiers of these give better performance.
And complete the look and feel of our ships.

• Like 5

Yeh but to do that the bowsprit would have to be on your ship, which frankly we should have anyway without having to buy it as a figurehead.

• Like 1

The figureheads are skins anyway, so having them cover a crafted bowsprit shouldn't be an issue. Might need a few tweeks here and there.

Yeh but my issue is that I shouldn't have to pay 500 gold to buy the bowsprit for every ship I build, especially as the ships don't look right without them. It wouldn't be so bad if like clothing we got ten of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Yeh but my issue is that I shouldn't have to pay 500 gold to buy the bowsprit for every ship I build, especially as the ships don't look right without them. It wouldn't be so bad if like clothing we got ten of them.

I agree, the ships should have a bow sprit. needs to be a craftable item and jib sails (commonly jibs make a minor direct contribution to propulsion compared to a main sail. Generally, a jib's most crucial function is as an airfoil, increasing performance and overall stability by reducing turbulence on the main sail's leeward side) can be added to help with speed and maybe reduce over steer

Yeh I've been posting that the the bowsprit should be craftable as its actually a front spar not a figurehead. proper ship rear lanterns would be good too. It would just add an extra touch of realism that is needed.

11 minutes ago, Dochollyhood said:

They could add spankers as well (same as a jib but on the stern)

They kind of have that in the handling sail. It's used for sailing off the wind and helping to turn the ship. They could make a mast with small square sails at the top and the spanker(handling) sail to make it look realistic.

I was watching sea of thieves the other day, and even though they are cartoony and not much customisation  the ships do look good, I like the personal touch to ships in atlas but there are a lot of things they could easily add to make them more realistic. Even the paint is just too old looking when its on. They need to work on these things if they want people to play long term.

• Like 1

I think these sails are a good addition to the game.
For example, you could add them to the figureheads.
So you could buy this for gold (or hope for better blueprints).

But that alone is not enough for me.

I also think that the masts have really earned shrouds so you can climb into the crow's nest (the lookout) without having to lose valuable ship structures on rope ladders.

In addition, we not only need the previous open ship deck, but also a half-open ship deck around a wooden ceiling wider border has. So you can also save shipping structures.
It has happened to me several times now that I am pushed to the Struckturlimit and many things had to leave to build weight structures on the ship or could expand.

In addition, it would be nice for the Galions if you could get not only the headsail but also the mounted below the figurehead Galionssegel.
That would enhance the look of the ships and reinforce the feeling of being on a Galione.