Sign in to follow this  
Felon

New Player best starting Strategies ?

New to the game .

i am failing to understand what the basic start up strategies are .   
build a boat ...... then 

get gold 1st? 
build on taxed land 1st to build a better boat?

build anywhere 1st some temp stuff?

Don’t build at all at 1st?

find permanent build location 1st?

none of the above ?

i thank you all  in Advance for all your Strategies and sharing you knowledge of the game it’s very Appreciated.

there Is no wrong answer.

So far my first impressions is watch out for the damn glitches I've seemed to of been caught in all the major ones so far in my first ever week on here losing ships left right and centre

Basic Start would be Getting a ramshackle sloop And Diving attachment for some easy Gold. Then you Want a small base,which comes down to what you Prefer. Own Island cost Gold Daily for the upkeep, Building on a taxed Island is free And on PVE you still get 100% of what you farm,the landlord just gets 20% extra. Or lawless where you Dont have a landlord,but might deal with foundation spam or neighbor wars. Then Build small base And a better ship And get Yourself some seeds to tame the harvester animals. Would Start with bear to have it easier in the beginning. 

I play with a larger PvP company, but the first thing we do is build a ramshackle and sail to the island we intend on claiming.  We grab gold along the way from shipwrecks to claim the island.  We then build a small base of operations and tame bears.  Bears are very handy to have as they offer a lot of utility.  They collect skins, fiber, berries/veggies, protection from other players and mobs.  Once that's all going we slap down shipyards to build schooners, brigs and a galleon.  Build a variety of ships so we can run maps, Power Stone islands, Ships of the Damned and island defense.  Next up is the main base.  Since we are PvP we have to build a somewhat large and hard to attack main base.  On top of pillars and/mountains is ideal.  If you have the people then having someone working on harbor defenses at this time is helpful as well to project your ships....if you play PvP that is.

If your company is smaller many larger companies/alliances have islands available for small companies and solos.  We make gold/resources off of the taxes and these small companies get protection from the alliance in return.  Rules tend to be simple.  Don't start shit with your neighbors and the local alliance.  Feel free to attack the alliance enemies.  If the alliance is attacked feel free to assist in anyway you see fit.  It is always appreciated and in the past we have brought small companies onboard that showed they can be trusted and put the work in to help out. 

I'd say spend your early points not on what you want to focus on in the end but rather on what helps you progress over all the fastest. Cover all your basic useful skills first. 

If you go all ships and sailing from the start, you will spend a lot more time grinding mats than if you got harvesting and beast first. Vitamin skills will help you need to bite the shark less.

Unlock the smitty right away.

Read over all the skills in the beginning and make a plan in advance.

Don't worry about a perm base or a cosmetically pleasing base initially. Also, you can re-spec skills at anytime so don't feel like you are locked in. You'll get the occasional free re-spec via leveling, and you can take some gold to Freeport to buy a re-spec.

* Pickup bottles on the beach and keep the maps (typically spawn in evening)
* Start on an island that has Bears, or Ramshackle travel to one from Freeport
* Start on island that isn't limited in one of the basics (Wood, Fiber, Rocks, Metal)
* Push your limits early. Try and lose your tames and ships. Everything is replaceable. The worst way to play this game is in fear of loss.

Goal 1: Get spear & bow as quickly as you can. Kill animals for XP. You can get the first dozen or so levels fairly easily this way. Stops being efficient after that.
Goal 2: Get a smithy and advanced tools (metal). This will greatly help with harvesting, which you do a lot of in general. Considering getting the first 2 levels of Hand Harvesting
Goal 3: Get taming and a tannery. Get a bear. Cannot overstate how life changing this is.
Goal 4: Get skills to build Sloop/Schooner. Use bear to help harvest fiber/thatch (some islands have this), and to help haul wood.
Goal 5: Do treasure maps with your Sloop/Schooner & bear. The XP from maps is HUGE. Keep an eye on quality of map, better maps means higher lvl undead (can overpower your bear)

Once you get mid-30's in level, you'll feel like you have access to quite a bit of things and the world will start opening up. You can really start doing whatever you want at this time. Don't wait to long to build your first cannon Schooner/Brig and take on the Ships of the Damned, can be a lot of challenging fun.

• Thanks 1

Spawn at a freeport. . craft some tools.Buy a ramshackle sloop from seaport vendor for mats. Grab some fish or fish with a fishing rod.you get skin gold and fish if you do. sail to a lawless island,avoiding SOTD. D7 is great for a first base. Enjoy the rest of your game.

Keep in mind that Solo players will not be able to do everything that needs to be done right off the bat.. when In large groups.. 1 can focus on the weapons. one on taming for bears.. one for getting to stone for building bases right away and another for ship building asap.. the rest just farm the resources for a quick start to a large company...  IF there is only you and or a friend.. got to take it  a bit more slow.. even them maybe decide who is going to be your ship builder early on and who the tamer or base builder.. EArly levels that is 🙂 once you get up in levels you should slowly be able to fill out the other trees enough to do everything.

47 minutes ago, Vurmis said:

Don't worry about a perm base or a cosmetically pleasing base initially. Also, you can re-spec skills at anytime so don't feel like you are locked in. You'll get the occasional free re-spec via leveling, and you can take some gold to Freeport to buy a re-spec.

* Pickup bottles on the beach and keep the maps (typically spawn in evening)
* Start on an island that has Bears, or Ramshackle travel to one from Freeport
* Start on island that isn't limited in one of the basics (Wood, Fiber, Rocks, Metal)
* Push your limits early. Try and lose your tames and ships. Everything is replaceable. The worst way to play this game is in fear of loss.

Goal 1: Get spear & bow as quickly as you can. Kill animals for XP. You can get the first dozen or so levels fairly easily this way. Stops being efficient after that.
Goal 2: Get a smithy and advanced tools (metal). This will greatly help with harvesting, which you do a lot of in general. Considering getting the first 2 levels of Hand Harvesting
Goal 3: Get taming and a tannery. Get a bear. Cannot overstate how life changing this is.
Goal 4: Get skills to build Sloop/Schooner. Use bear to help harvest fiber/thatch (some islands have this), and to help haul wood.
Goal 5: Do treasure maps with your Sloop/Schooner & bear. The XP from maps is HUGE. Keep an eye on quality of map, better maps means higher lvl undead (can overpower your bear)

Once you get mid-30's in level, you'll feel like you have access to quite a bit of things and the world will start opening up. You can really start doing whatever you want at this time. Don't wait to long to build your first cannon Schooner/Brig and take on the Ships of the Damned, can be a lot of challenging fun.

I really like how this game plan here is lined up … Yea, def don't live in fear if dying and loosing things along the way.. it is not just a maybe but a certain that you will lol, so might as well just go for it 🙂

My daily sessions go, depending on what happens.. like, the other day, had a good day then I went and slammed my sloop against a rock and it sank next to my temp lil base.. so, I unloaded my suff, secured it and called it a day knowing that my next log in was going to be hitting up nearby freeport for a new one or farming for an upgrade schooner instead. No stress, just part of the game.. lol Not in any "hurry" to get to the top, enjoy the adventure it takes to get there.

Eh, is this the bad ATLAS streamer Felon trolling people? They kick ya out of TPG for consistently getting all their boats sunk and accidentally streaming base locations and defenses and company chat? hahahahaha

Edited by Inigo
  • Haha 1