Sign in to follow this  
Jack Shandy

Taming Tip

With the 2x taming yesterday I thought it the ideal time to get the large gathering tames, elephant, giraffe and rhino.

But came across a problem, I’ve never minded it hard to find the sweet spot, I used to just dodge in and out of that area and the eating animation would delay the animals attack just enough to dodge free.

The problem I found is that the eating animation does not happen very often anymore so I’d get hit, that along with heat waves and I was going to get killed long before I’d tamed my quarry.

After some thought I put a few points into “first aid” self-healing and speed healing, popped a healing kit on my hot-bar and tried again.

That worked a treat.

The healing game takes less time than the time between feeding a tame, the time between being able to use the kit again was short enough not to get in the way. I didn’t have to worry about getting hit or heat waves and the kit has more than enough uses to tame many creatures.

Just thought I’d share, it helped me a lot. If you are having similar issues give it a try.

• Like 2

My tips:

1. Put fortitude at 30 to help with environment

2. Do not use tame pens.  They make it easier to hurt and bola your tame, but the structures tend to get in the way of feeding. 

3. Use a bear to hurt the potential tame and then bola in the open.  PUT BEAR ON PASSIVE.  If you do not you'll learn quickly why you should.  RIP lvl 30 elephant 2 days ago because my dumbass forgot. 

4. Best to bola tames so legs are facing downhill if on a uneven surface.  Takes some practice.

5. Always feed from belly side of animal.  Inch up to tame and stop right on border of feed range.  If done correctly the tame will never hit you. 

6. Use grown foods whenever able as it lessens the time needed.  It is usually around twice the tame percentage as wild grown. 

7. If its your first tame for a given creature then low levels are fine.  They tame quickly and can be used for farming.  Once you are established you can get pickier about what you tame. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Thanks 1

To add to the list:

100%, do not use "taming pens", use another tame and do it in the open. Pens add a whole another wall glitch challenge you can just avoid.

Can't find the feed spot, or still trying to use a taming pen? Use a shield. You can feed through a shield while the shield is absorbing their attack.

Bring a friend if possible, makes it quite a bit easier with being able to split jobs.

• Like 1

It's not the "getting in the way", it's the glitching. Please grapeshot fix this. Giraffe taming is something that I have a love hate relationship with.

I mostly tame bears. Lots of them due to losses from the yeti. I live on the 15 line.

I always use traps. If you mess up they make the difference  between life and death. I rarely have trouble with the structure in the way but then I've done this many times. And almost everyday at logon, something is waiting in the trap for you.

Use the best food... that gives the highest percentage per feed. Drop a locker near your trap full of supplies you can grab in a hurry. Place a bed nearby. The more you tame. the more you learn, the better / faster you get.