Sign in to follow this  
zousug

NPC Ship Crew Help Xbox

Hello,

I play on Xbox and have a ship with NPC Crew, sails work fine etc.. but I can not get them to shoot the weapons.

I have Ballistas  on the ship atm (no ammo for cannons) which have ammo in a chest but when i press LT to lock onto an enemy they will track it but not shoot..

The group for them is selected on the hot bar..

37 minutes ago, Fernandcowboy said:

Do you have the amo box on your ship? Or what is the issue?

there is ammo, and they are loaded.. (i manualy loaded them to be sure).. like i said i can make them lock on and track the enemies but they just wont shoot.. currently the ballistas are loaded with Harpoons, butt that should not be the issue as i can shoot them my self..

iv got the group active, click LT to zoom out and let go targeting an enemy and they lock on and follow it around but yeah no shooting, iv press LB + R stick to fire but.. yeah i just cant work out how to make them work..

how are they meant to operate? what buttons are meant to be used? just to make sure im doing it right,.. just not making sense to me 😛

any one able to help?

I found this link listing the controls and LT is meant to make them fire at the target but they just wont... not even RT for manual firing is working... 

When you say targeting an enemy, what do you mean here? Is it a Ship of the Damned or a whale or something else?

You might want to inspect your NPC's and check their targeting behavior (what they are set to consider a valid target). Also check the target range on the Ballista.

In general, for NPCs on cannons in gunports (haven't played with Ballistas in the recent big patch yet, maybe it's different now) the process is:

1. Open cannon ports
  2. Make sure cannons & NPC's are in hotbar group that is active (hotbar while on wheel/podium)
  3. On wheel or podium, select target
  4. Maneuver ship into good angle and range, NPC's will auto-fire (Note that NPC's fire activation range is shorter than you can manually fire at)

10 hours ago, Vurmis said:

When you say targeting an enemy, what do you mean here? Is it a Ship of the Damned or a whale or something else?

You might want to inspect your NPC's and check their targeting behavior (what they are set to consider a valid target). Also check the target range on the Ballista.

In general, for NPCs on cannons in gunports (haven't played with Ballistas in the recent big patch yet, maybe it's different now) the process is:

1. Open cannon ports
  2. Make sure cannons & NPC's are in hotbar group that is active (hotbar while on wheel/podium)
  3. On wheel or podium, select target
  4. Maneuver ship into good angle and range, NPC's will auto-fire (Note that NPC's fire activation range is shorter than you can manually fire at)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

so target as in pressing LT to zoom out when controlling the ship and letting go when hovering over a enemy target... it puts up the sights icon on the ship and the npcs turn to track them..

So I worked out the balisstas, they had harpoons and dont seem to shoot them for some reason.. got some cannon balls built and the cannons will fire np at all.

but i got a few questions in regards to settings for them if you dont mind.

I want them to attack any target (which i setup) but i only want them to attack when i tell  them to attack a target... whats the best setting for them?

even though i had them deactivated on the hotbar, when i made port they still started to attack ppl running past lol.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, zousug said:

Hello,

I play on Xbox and have a ship with NPC Crew, sails work fine etc.. but I can not get them to shoot the weapons.

I have Ballistas  on the ship atm (no ammo for cannons) which have ammo in a chest but when i press LT to lock onto an enemy they will track it but not shoot..

The group for them is selected on the hot bar..

I might have figued your problem, harpoons are a ballista ammo used to grapple other player ships, ballista bolts are the standard ammo for ballista's.

Check you have ballista bolts?

2 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

I might have figued your problem, harpoons are a ballista ammo used to grapple other player ships, ballista bolts are the standard ammo for ballista's.

Check you have ballista bolts?

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.. yeah thats what i said a few posts ago.. harpoons i dont think the npcs shoot.. going to be trying bolts soon.. but the cannons shoot fine so im assuming its just the ammo being usd...

not i need to work out how to stop em shooting everything.. only shoot when i tell em or when they get hurt lol

2 minutes ago, zousug said:

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.. yeah thats what i said a few posts ago.. harpoons i dont think the npcs shoot.. going to be trying bolts soon.. but the cannons shoot fine so im assuming its just the ammo being usd...

not i need to work out how to stop em shooting everything.. only shoot when i tell em or when they get hurt lol

Playing PVE I've never used harpoons, it's a PVP thing, but seeing it writen down made me realise that some one new and hunting whales for the first time would assume "harpoons" would be the ammo to use.

At the start there was only balista bolts, harpoons came along later for PVP'ers to grapple each others ships. They realy ought to change the name to avoid confusion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zousug said:

I want them to attack any target (which i setup) but i only want them to attack when i tell  them to attack a target... whats the best setting for them?

even though i had them deactivated on the hotbar, when i made port they still started to attack ppl running past lol.

6 hours ago, zousug said:

Okay, so this isn't intuitive at first. The hotbar that shows up while you are the wheel we'll call the "Firing Groups Hotbar". When a firing group is enabled, it's active to receive commands/orders. When it is disabled, it's not active to receive commands/orders. Think of it as earplugs for the crew for when you are shouting orders.

So, when you do the command "Attack this target", the firing groups that are active/listening will do just that. Same with "Stop attacking/targeting", "Fire at will", "Board/Attack". Until you get to a point of trying to get cheeky with telling the left side crew to do something different from the right side crew, I would just leave all firing groups set as enabled.

Now, if you tell your crew to "Fire at will", they will keep that command forever. Which is why they will start shooting fish, people, and the like when you are docking. You need to remember to issue the "Stop" command after combat. The current icon displayed on the hotbar is their current orders (Stop, Attacking target, fire at will, etc).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vurmis said:

Okay, so this isn't intuitive at first. The hotbar that shows up while you are the wheel we'll call the "Firing Groups Hotbar". When a firing group is enabled, it's active to receive commands/orders. When it is disabled, it's not active to receive commands/orders. Think of it as earplugs for the crew for when you are shouting orders.

So, when you do the command "Attack this target", the firing groups that are active/listening will do just that. Same with "Stop attacking/targeting", "Fire at will", "Board/Attack". Until you get to a point of trying to get cheeky with telling the left side crew to do something different from the right side crew, I would just leave all firing groups set as enabled.

Now, if you tell your crew to "Fire at will", they will keep that command forever. Which is why they will start shooting fish, people, and the like when you are docking. You need to remember to issue the "Stop" command after combat. The current icon displayed on the hotbar is their current orders (Stop, Attacking target, fire at will, etc).

hello,

thanks for your help.

Ah that is what I was missing, the stop bit.. i just assumed that after target was dead they would stop to..

Iv alrdy started using the hotbar to disable / enable things.. was just shooting that was an issue lol..

thank you every one for all your help and input... was extremly helpful.

K i think i got it.. i can do all that.. except..   How do you open all the cannon doors at once.. there has to be a button for that

On xbox highlight groups X Y B and A. Then deselect them. That should clear up any issues with manual fire and auto fire.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:28 PM, XxMayhemxX said:

K i think i got it.. i can do all that.. except..   How do you open all the cannon doors at once.. there has to be a button for that

Hit X to open and close gun ports