Sign in to follow this  
Ickle MrG

Newbie starting on Xbox

Hi All.

After seeing Atlas ages and ages ago and loving how great it looked, it is finally on Xbox! its currently downloading as we speak.

I have played ark since early access but not for the last few months. our little group slowly drifted away from it......

we have all downloaded it so should be back to 4 strong starting on Atlas. Just wanted to say a big hello to everyone and hopefully see some of you out there.

Any tips, hints or help that anyone thinks we will need are very much appreciated.

PS we will prob be on PVE!!

Happy sailing

Ickle MrG

Welcome, Ickle!

I thank that the best thing to do early game, with multiple people, is to start on a lawless zone so you have no level 8 cap, have one person work towards ship building and the other getting archery then going into taming.

If only two players, have the taming person also get advanced tools after archery, instead of going directly to taming, and the ship builder go into Piracy for Secrets of Piracy for the diving platform.

If more than two players, have the third player get advanced tools and then get Piracy under the Seafaring to make the diving platform.

Dive every shipwreck you find, no matter the quality, to start getting gold if you want an island of your own. Or even if you just want crew to handle your sails.

Once you have a tamed pig, or better yet a bear, start doing common treasure maps to get more gold and levels.

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

Depends are you playing on officials or not..  but basically if your an Ark veteran, all this is pretty easy to pick up.  I've been reading the forums pretty thouroughly at work here today, and i can say.. seems like ALOT of ppl didn't play Ark judging by their questions or answers.  I feel like a veteran of the game even tho i just started last night..   lol

Edited by XxMayhemxX
misspelled word

spawn at a freeport to start, buy a sloop with mats from the sailor at the dock and head for a lawless island, also stock up on fish too and berries and plants and meat. put a small fire on your boat to cook with. happy sailing.

13 hours ago, Ickle MrG said:

Hi All.

After seeing Atlas ages and ages ago and loving how great it looked, it is finally on Xbox! its currently downloading as we speak.

I have played ark since early access but not for the last few months. our little group slowly drifted away from it......

we have all downloaded it so should be back to 4 strong starting on Atlas. Just wanted to say a big hello to everyone and hopefully see some of you out there.

Any tips, hints or help that anyone thinks we will need are very much appreciated.

PS we will prob be on PVE!!

Happy sailing

Ickle MrG

Very smart move going to pve first off. I love pvp but if I want pvp I’ll go to another game where there is actual PvP.

welcome aboard. You seem American by the way I read your post so I would recommend NA pve. Maybe we will meet up at some point.

the steam charts fooled me big time. Atlas is actually way better than ark in a lot of ways. Mainly the grinding. The sailing you will find awesome as well(if you liked sea of thieves). 

Already met a lot of cool people in the servers I have been as well. Even though I haven’t met the dicks yet, I am sure we all know they are present but it just is what it is. We move on from that.

as far as early hints go(I am new as well), don’t bother with the brig, after looking at all the stats there is no need for it in my opinion. I need the 59 base occupancy the gally offers. Our schooner is pretty cramped. Take people’s advice on getting the schooner right off the bat though, it will get you places in a decent time.

if you are a grinder then go to the galleon quick. If not the schooner will do you right.

tigers are easier to tame in my opinion than bears(I am a cat lover). A level 60 tiger(you can only tame 30 or lower), will easily take down the army of the damned when doing maps. 

Once you have high gather rate from skills you can get plenty of resources no problem.

get a cow definitely. I would say a chicken as well but I have been finding plenty of vegetables so it isn’t too necessary. Vitamin D will be the pain of you don’t have a cow but only because you need fish otherwise(a lot of times mantas will be dead on the waters surface because they are stupid, free fish meat).

since you actually have played ark you will find the grind is atlas to be very satisfying. If you have played Conan as well you will realize it isn’t as easy as Conan but nowhere as bad as ark lol.

long post but oh well 👍 have fun man and good luck 

Edited by Realist
  • Like 1

Also always go one ship size bigger with your sails, ie a schooner sails really fast with one large speed sail, not 2 medium. And with only one sail you can sail solo when you need to. Try not to go over a third of your ship weight with addons and benches etc cos it will slow you down the more stuff you add.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Also always go one ship size bigger with your sails, ie a schooner sails really fast with one large speed sail, not 2 medium. And with only one sail you can sail solo when you need to. Try not to go over a third of your ship weight with addons and benches etc cos it will slow you down the more stuff you add.

Yeah, we are sailing but at like 7800 out of 9800(upgrades weight a little) and still have a cargo box. Just like jaws “I think we are going to need a bigger boat”

hey new guy, listen to @Whitehawk he is giving good advice. Don’t listen to some of the salty guys on here. He will do good as a mentor. Oh and boomer. Definitely listen to that guy. There are others as well but I will just let you know who the good and bad ones are on here 👍

Edited by Realist

Rite then... Thank you everyone for all of your help. We are off and running. only sunk 2 ships!

We now have up to a galleon. but really need all of us on to fully work it at its max. haha.

We get the basic overall game play but the progress tree was a bit of a thinker to begin with but we are getting there.

Reminds me of a good mix between ark and conan. but it is good. 

We have our ship builder and i am becoming the tamer and farmer!!!! typical. plus ive just tamed our 1st animals, chickens!!!! off to get horses tonight.

26 minutes ago, Ickle MrG said:

We have our ship builder and i am becoming the tamer and farmer!!!! typical. plus ive just tamed our 1st animals, chickens!!!! off to get horses tonight.

Horses run fast and never in the direction you want them to. Tame a pig and use it to block the horse against a cliff, tree, whatever, you can use the pig to deal the damage too, will save you a few arrows.

The pig will come in handy as a farmer too, they poop a lot.

Edited by Jack Shandy

Cheers Jack.

I was going to try and make a trap and hope the horse goes in there!!!! haha

I dont think i have the correct bits for a pig yet, or do they eat more than 1 thing in taming? havnt looked in to it enough yet if im honest. We do have a load of pigs on our base island so would be a good idea to tame one of those.

Pigs tame on berries or veg and you just hand feed them, no hitting or bolaing required, plus no saddle needed.

I've got 6 in a semi-circle all facing out so they poop all close together, press "F" to pick up all nearby, plus with command wheel they can be told to poop, works a treat for fueling your fertilizer production.

Pro tip: you can dig for potatoes in fertile ground with a shovel, so tameing with veggies even before you have your farm, set up.

Edit: sorry "F" is PC comand, not sure of XBox one.

Edited by Jack Shandy

i did not know about the digging Jack, thank you. we have some beans not far from us so will try digging there.

Sadly i am on xbox. makes it a bit more fiddly!

Will have to catch up on the high seas one day. will give you a beer as a thank you for the help. 

Most traps is see around are elaborate ramp affairs with foundations and doorways for walls, I find these difficult to use as the doorways are too restrictive at allowing you to get to the correct spot to feed the animals.

My first tame this time around was a bear, dug potatoes, made bola's and 16 pillars, and went out on foot. Once I found a bear I placed 14 of the pillars in a 3x3 "U" shape 2 pillars high with the open end towards the bear. then shot the bears and lured it into the open trap, kept shooting and once it was low on health bola'd it, I then placed the other 2 pillars closing off the trap. Pillars are very thin on atlas and dont hinder getting to the spot needed to feed it much if at all. once tamed I destroy the trap leaving the place free of any offending structures.

Cheap, simple and effective.

For giraff's and elephants I used the same just bigger and 3 high with a large gate on one side. And I had my bear to carry the parts.