Upcoming Ally Crew Count Patch Read more... ×
Jatheish

Xbox Framerate Bug / Framerate Degradation

10 hours ago, Jatheish said:

What Xbox are you using?

- Xbox One

- Xbox One S

- Xbox One X

Do you have ATLAS installed on an Internal or External Drive?

- Internal

- Internal and External (game is on Internal)

- Internal and External (game is on External)

What game mode are you experiencing the issue in?

- Single Player

- Official Servers

- Non Dedicated (Host)

- Non Dedicated (Client)

- More than 1: please specify

- All

Have any of these workarounds resolved the issue for you?

Workaround 1:

Hit the dashboard button
Quit the ATLAS application
Relaunch it

Workaround 2:

Hit the dashboard button
Quit the ATLAS application
Restart the console
Relaunch ATLAS

Workaround 3:

Moving the game to an internal hard drive

Workaround 4: 

Under Preferences: Capture and share:  Allow game capture: Don't Capture.

Workaround 5:

Clear your Xbox Cache (guide on how to clear the cache)

This isn't a bug we've ever experienced on our side so we'd like to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible. Any information you're able to provide will be very helpful.

Thank you very much Pathfinders!

Console - Xbox One (OG)

internal install to start with then moved to my SSD(Speeds up rendering times but doesn’t affect FPS in the slightest)

Official

Workaround 1 works for a few minutes(I say works, it gets around 15FPS after quit and relaunch but the performance drops over 5-10 minutes before eventually being unplayable (2-3FPS) 

Workaround 2 does the same as 1

Workaround 3 made no difference except for slowing render times of structures and animals. 

Workaround 4 improves the initial FPS, roughly 15 FPS up from around 12 FPS before. But, this drops off over a few minutes before again, being unplayable. 

Workaround 5 made no difference to the FPS at all. The two other people I will be playing with(ark friends 😅) also have the same issue, One has an Xbox One X(Admittedly he gets better frames from launch but his also drop down to almost unplayable, 6-10FPS before needing a relaunch) and the other an OG Xbox like mine. 

Is it possible there is a memory leak somewhere? Only reason i mention this is the fact that performance drops steadily over a few minutes. We have no way of checking the CPU/GPU usage on console unfortunately 😩

ALSO, I was up at around 10FPS until I stepped in the water, my frames dropped down to around 6 FPS once I did this. Again, the performance had already dropped down from around 15FPS before this happened. 

Xbox One S

Internal

PVP - NA

Workarounds 1 + 2  seem to work the best for me.

Game tends to start at choppy frames to begin with, but after about 10 minutes the game becomes very choppy and near unplayable. It becomes increasingly harder to fight beasts when it freezes as I am turning. (love pig mosh-pits). My friend with an Xbox One X has a dramatically smoother experience, but then will degrade similarly to what I have dealt with. Thanks for being proactive about this. I love the potential this game has for an Xbox audience, but addressing the frame drop is a huge necessity. I hope people stick around and don't give up due to an early road bump!

Want to bring up another potential fix...

Xbox One

External

PVP-EU

All listed workarounds were about 50/50 for me.

What I have been doing is waiting at the main menu for about 3-5 minutes to let a file called “PrimalGameData_BP” load. It’s the very first file seen on the load bar when joining a server. Only done this about four times and it’s worked so far. I’ll update if it’s not 100%.

EDIT: First time today it didn’t work so it’s not 100%

Edited by Spuuch
Updating information
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jatheish said:

Hey guys,

We're currently investigating the issue where Xbox Frames can be incredibly poor and makes the game stutter. What would help us narrow down the cause and get to certain fix is gathering more information about why this problem happens, so if you're experiencing the extreme stuttering if you could please fill out the information below, that would be incredibly helpful.

What Xbox are you using?

- Xbox One

-Internal 

What game mode are you experiencing this on

- Official 

Workaround 5:

Clear your Xbox cashe 

This works sometimes but not all the time maybe about 30% of the time 

None of these work I'm using An OG Xbox with internal HD  I am on EU PVP official .

it also keeps crashing ALOT when it try's to load primaldataBP so much so I have to quit the game completely like 5 times in a row most of the time. also when it does crash on that loading screen my controller none stop vibrates I mean wtf is that about really???

I have not tried any of the work around yet, as I didnt have much time last night. However, once I stopped using party chat the frame rate was perfectly fine on my original xbox one on official Pve.

Single player though kept freezing every 10 to 20 seconds.

I'll test again later today using the work around.

16 hours ago, SavedByGrace979 said:

UPDATE: I have found a possible cause or at least a repeatable way to stop the framerate issue or cause it to reoccur.

While chatting in party with friends tonight they mentioned being in an xbox party causes issues while playing the game. I was skeptical and wanted to try playing singleplayer vs. on an official server to see if there was any difference first. There was no difference between official server or singleplayer the framerate is horrendous in singleplayer all the time while in an xbox party.

hug.gif

Saved By Grace indeed. We think you may have found the issue. 

Thank you all for your assistance in helping us to identify this issue. We are now working on fixing it. Please refer to the announcement at the top of the page. 

• Thanks 1

What Xbox are you using?

- Xbox One S

Internal and External (game is on Internal)

Tried all options even disconnected the external to see what happened. No fix unfortunately.

- Official frame issues

single player frame issues

hosting won’t launch and crashes to dashboard.

None of the work arounds have been a fix. Its all 5 - 10 mins then back to square one. 

Party is not the issue maybe the issue with a couple of people but I've not been in a single party while playing this yet 

4 hours ago, Dollie said:

hug.gif

Saved By Grace indeed. We think you may have found the issue. 

Thank you all for your assistance in helping us to identify this issue. We are now working on fixing it. Please refer to the announcement at the top of the page. 

• Thanks 1

Xbox one 
Internal

The issues the majority are having is the lag! It is unplayable we’ve been excited for this game to drop for a longtime! You cannot physically do anything we try all the steps given it’s ok then after 15-20-25 minutes it happens all over again it’s so frustrating I am seriously contemplating on getting my money back, majority of time it’s a 255 ping I’m gonna give it a week then I’ll be getting a refund and going back to Ark with my Tribe

Xbox one X

Internal Drive

Single Player & Official 

Workarounds only one works for the Spear problem.

Only time I see Framerates go down is when Islands spawn in and a odd Spear bugg where you cant even run anymore. 

Xbox one x

External but plan on making room on internal tonight

Official servers

Seems when I quit app it fixes it till I die then the framerate drops

Edited by Blizz419

5 hours ago, Atlaneer said:

Party is not the issue maybe the issue with a couple of people but I've not been in a single party while playing this yet 

Do you have any overlays on? Achievement tracker or anything? Myself and 4 of my friends that have been having issues found that leaving the party fixes it, but I did further testing and found that I could come back into the party and I turned off the party chat overlay, and had everyone else turn theirs off as well. After I turned off the overlay I was able to play for 4+ hours with party chat active and had no issues whatsoever. My friends did have a couple issues but left party chat and came back and this solved the issue for a while.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else is able to get similar results with the issue.

22 minutes ago, SavedByGrace979 said:

Do you have any overlays on? Achievement tracker or anything? Myself and 4 of my friends that have been having issues found that leaving the party fixes it, but I did further testing and found that I could come back into the party and I turned off the party chat overlay, and had everyone else turn theirs off as well. After I turned off the overlay I was able to play for 4+ hours with party chat active and had no issues whatsoever. My friends did have a couple issues but left party chat and came back and this solved the issue for a while.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else is able to get similar results with the issue.

Nope nothing running in the background no overlays etc just the game running and it only happens on land maybe it's the over spawning of animals that could be a culprit 

Original Xbox one 

Internal 

Single player and official

None of the fixes seem to alleviate frame rate issues. Tried pretty much everything. Location doesn't seem to matter either whether it's on land or at sea. Was running fine last night though.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Now that I'm not in an Xbox party and i let my Xbox sit on the home screen for around half an hour when I went back into single player the frame rate seems to have improved a bit, it is still a little choppy but it is much more playable now.

Edited by Sgt Thumbless

This game is unplayable wtf!! Not even Ark was this bad! 

Xbox one

Internal

None work to my satisfaction! Sort it out please this is a massive disapointment! 

If only id knew before parting with  my cash! Wont recommend until you get your acts together

What Xbox are you using?

- Xbox One X

External 

Official Servers

The party chat issue was exactly causing my error! I now have the best FPS I have seen yet!  Game looks great now!  I just...have no party chat. That said, at least a problem was identified! Thanks!! Now just need the fix. 

Also, if I wait to load into game first THEN join party chat, I have no Frame rate issues. 

Edited by StalkingWolf

4 hours ago, StalkingWolf said:

The party chat issue was exactly causing my error! I now have the best FPS I have seen yet!  Game looks great now!  I just...have no party chat. That said, at least a problem was identified! Thanks!! Now just need the fix. 

Also, if I wait to load into game first THEN join party chat, I have no Frame rate issues. 

You could also leave party chat then come back in and you're good. My friends and I have been using this workaround for the last several hours.

Also just FYI they just dropped an update of like 6gigs for Xbox that had a number of patches for frame rate problems. Hopefully this patch takes care of this.

8 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Will this fix the crashing

No this does not have anything to do with the crashes at all. This issue is strictly for the very bad frame rate and degradation of frame rate.

The patch they just released hopefully does solve some or all of the crashes.

There was a crash associated with this issue which would have happened in Non-Dedicated and maybe else where. The patch with this fix has just launched! 

• Like 1

Xbox One X

Internal

PVP NA Official

I generally have decent FPS, do not party on xbox. I went to go complete a treasure map near a medium sized player base, 5 large ships roughly and base structures. Upon spawning the  game started randomly freezing to the point I couldn't fight and it unfroze upon my death, tried three separate times. None of the fixes above worked for this specific issue, the Army of the damned spawns near any sizable base still freeze the game up and get you killed. This issue occurred again when sailing back to my home base which is around the same size, the game froze on and off until I finished wrecking into the shore and then it started smoothing out.

Edited by ExLeo
spelling

I'm going to lock down this thread as this specific issue was resolved by our latest client-side patch, however, if you are still experiencing similar problems please create a new thread and we'll investigate (and escalate to a mega-thread if more info is warranted). 

• Like 2