Sign in to follow this  
MetalHead Mayhem

PvP MMO?

I've only been playin the game a few weeks, I read alot of threads and thought the game just had alot B****'s. But now I see, The servers should be able to handle alot more players considering how large it is. Ive played with groups in Ark that had the ability to fill a server with just their people to wipe out enemies. Seems like the game is designed for companies to be small but in MMOs there are several groups that 150+ members kinda makes this game useless to em. Should have some kinda war declaration with a timer to prep for war before structures and anchored ships can be destroyed in controlled territory but with the server cap thats not possible with that youd be able to have battles that were 400v400 in game fighting over an island. The way it is now 1 group would just fill the server so there wouldnt be a fight. Im not saying to take raiding out without a war declaration. Just to raid I think doors, gates and defense turrets should all be able to take damage at any time. But would like to play a better balanced game this one seems to have alot of cracks. Hopefully in time it will be more enjoyable.....Im not quitting just still got alot to figure out. Gotta be in a large group to play the game but servers are built for small groups 😞

Right on the dot sir. Why I've been wondering why theyve forgotten the small companies. 

The combat only really works on smaller scales anyways. 

I still think the combat timer needs to be removed.  Would make the game manageable for all sorts of group sizes. 

Yes he's right though, larger companies already complain islands cant really be taken in war unless it's a zerg where they cap out the server. 

However with the combat timer still in smaller groups arent going to be able to survive, leaves you with no real working pvp besides arranged skirmishes between large companies, it still needs to be fixed. 

Edited by Mike L

I wouldnt say to take the combat timer out but maybe make it a progressive timer depending on the size of your company. If you have a 5 man company your timer could start at 4 hours then for a 75 man company it could be like 12 hours.

I read on another thread they were asking for like a 2 day window to siege an island i dont think the game can support the size battle that would turn into. I think like a 2 to 3 hour window during the war timer already given would be plenty. Make it so after war is declared nobody can build new structures only ammo or armor and stuff to prep for war. this will give the war declaring guild time to do assett damage before the actual war starts. But also give the defending group time to get allies over to help. But again server cap will prolly still get in the way.

• Like 1

Well at least with the combat timer removed, everyone would be notified that it's time to fight, a shorter timer would be an improvement, but wouldn't change the meta of, check their server each day to see how many are on in their combat time, first time almost no one is on, raid it all. You'll always have that problem even with short combat timers. It's a requirement that you at least log on in combat time everyday to look like your going to defend. That's not really fun to me, being forced to log on just to keep playing. 

If it's just war then at least you'll know when you HAVE to log on in advance, and if you cant be on on that time, you know it's time to pack up and run. 

Big companies would still hold a lot of power, but they arent going to keep putting war flags down for no loot, and no fight, so they shouldn't be harassing small companies unless theres just nothing else to attack/do. 

Edited by Mike L
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike L said:

Well at least with the combat timer removed, everyone would be notified that it's time to fight, a shorter timer would be an improvement, but wouldn't change the meta of, check their server each day to see how many are on in their combat time, first time almost no one is on, raid it all. You'll always have that problem even with short combat timers. It's a requirement that you at least log on in combat time everyday to look like your going to defend. That's not really fun to me, being forced to log on just to keep playing. 

If it's just war then at least you'll know when you HAVE to log on in advance, and if you cant be on on that time, you know it's time to pack up and run. 

Big companies would still hold a lot of power, but they arent going to keep putting war flags down for no loot, and no fight, so they shouldn't be harassing small companies unless theres just nothing else to attack/do. 

You hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph. Make it cost something to raid someone. Atm it just costs cannon balls, grenades and a bit of gear. All that is easy for people to amass quickly. Raiding small companies is zero risk to bigger companies. 

If you had to war dec an island of small companies it would make alot of bigger groups think twice about it. Additionally it will restrain alot of the bored trolls just passing by and raiding for the sake of it. 

As someone in a big company atm i can honestly say that if i had to pay gold, wait a couple of days to hit bobs i wouldnt bother. Its too much effort, gold and time. My admins would probably ask why id want to waste gold raiding a small company for no real reward. Id be more inclined to try trade with them if they had 1 or 2 blueprints my company wants.

Kinda got away from what I made this thread about 🙂 with this being an "MMO" you should be able to have massive battles. The servers maxing out at 150 players prevents massive battles. If the game cant support more then that then it shouldnt allow companies to grow as big and should reduce server population unless a war is declared, which on war you should have to make some kinda gold wager to declare. 

Reduce company size to 25 and only allow you to add 2 other companies to your alliance and make it so allies cant be allied to others. If you are in an alliance every company has the same allies. Make server cap 75 regularly then increase it to 150 for war.

As far as how raiding works I think in games like this it is one of the more enjoyable things to do. They have alot of good ideas posted already for this on other threads but I think for raiding they should make doors, gates, and guns the only thing you can destroy. This keeps people from just sinking all your ships and leaving. They will only be able to knock the doors off on your ship then take what loot you have on em without sinkin them. Maybe they should add a different cannon ball to use on structures that cost alot more so raiding does actually cost more to do, perhaps one that consumes 1 to 5 gold to make so a raid might cost a company. Land Cannons should have more range then ship cannons to help defend. I feel like 5 players being on should be able to keep a 20 man raid out of their base if built to the best of the games ability. 

The more and more I think about it I think it would still be fun to do this the Shadowbane way.  I like how War decs works now.  Maybe some tweaks once they are more commonly used, but so far lets leave them as is. 

Remove daily timers.  Make it so tame and player PvP is active 24/7 everywhere except FP obviously.  All structures and green anchored boats are off limits 24/7 except the island owner.   War dec is the only way to make structures and green anchored boats vulnerable.

I do think war decs could use an improvement.  It should be a structure that is purchased and placed on the island you wish to declare war on.  This structure has to be placed on land.  Once placed the defending island owner has 24 hours to choose a start time.  Start time can be up to 48 hours out.  Less works, just tossing out numbers.  Once the war dec is active the war dec structure that was placed becomes vulnerable to damage.  The war dec stays active until the war dec structure is destroyed OR the island is unclaimed and then claimed again.  The attacking company does not have to be the one who claims the island.  It can be anyone allowing for some interesting outcomes. 

Just some dumb ideas to think about. 

As to the population in a given server that should improve.  Compared to a few months back we are able to put a lot more people in a server before lag is noticeable.  It is a huge improvement, but obviously more work is needed. 

Edited by DocHolliday

Yea I'd rather play a game without the timer and be able to raid at anytime but until the server cap and company cap is increased we wont have members on at every point of the day.

Right now Im in a 35 man company and they are pretty happy with the number, but in mmo's Ive played with several guilds that were 300+ members. played with 1 group that had over 750 members and with them there was always atleast 100 active online. With forces that large there is no need for timers. But when you only have 35 and only get maybe 10 on at most in the evenings the timer is still needed.