Sign in to follow this  
BxgJ

Power creep is kind of the point of pve...

I get what they are referring to with this, a skyrim-esque crafting issue where you just grind for some mats and get better and better gear. However, that is basically a big point of playing pve or single player, having a rpg like progression as a reason to gather mats and play. It wouldn't be a problem if these things could be adjusted, bp levels (and even the stats?) and such, but it's not. Just boosting treasure value, or whatever that value is that increases all bp levels in a grid, doesn't allow for any balancing. If they don't care about pve or hybrid pvevp unofficial servers they should just say so, or eliminate them.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BxgJ said:

I get what they are referring to with this, a skyrim-esque crafting issue where you just grind for some mats and get better and better gear. However, that is basically a big point of playing pve or single player, having a rpg like progression as a reason to gather mats and play. It wouldn't be a problem if these things could be adjusted, bp levels (and even the stats?) and such, but it's not. Just boosting treasure value, or whatever that value is that increases all bp levels in a grid, doesn't allow for any balancing. If they don't care about pve or hybrid pvevp unofficial servers they should just say so, or eliminate them.

I'm not sure that's what Jat was talking about.  It's not a simple, find better BP, grind mats, get better gear, it has to do specifically with grinding INT.  You can find a BP for +X intelligence that can be crafted 20 times.  So you get ready to craft, wearing your INT gear and holding a crow and you craft it.    With your current INT, maybe you get X+2 on it.  So then you wear THAT, and craft again.  Now you get X+4, rinse repeat 20 times, and you have taken a BP meant to grant X intelligence and gotten X+28 out of it.

I think he's saying that they mean INT to be a linear number based on your player spec and your best crow.  (Nobody counts dolphins, because sailing around looking for them so you can craft at sea is silly)

27 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I'm not sure that's what Jat was talking about.  It's not a simple, find better BP, grind mats, get better gear, it has to do specifically with grinding INT.  You can find a BP for +X intelligence that can be crafted 20 times.  So you get ready to craft, wearing your INT gear and holding a crow and you craft it.    With your current INT, maybe you get X+2 on it.  So then you wear THAT, and craft again.  Now you get X+4, rinse repeat 20 times, and you have taken a BP meant to grant X intelligence and gotten X+28 out of it.

I think he's saying that they mean INT to be a linear number based on your player spec and your best crow.  (Nobody counts dolphins, because sailing around looking for them so you can craft at sea is silly)

At some Point the BP will be capped anyway,am sure thats Not what they plan. Think they just Want to get rid of OP crafter And also makes it easier for small companys to compete. You Need 1300int for a 60% crafter Bonus atm And the Chance is about 5%. For each 200 int more you get an additional 5% Chance to reach the 60 crafter Bonus.even if a small Company would find themselfs  a really good Int BP They most Likely will not be able to updrade it,due to the Amount of Gold And Mythos Needed to fully Upgrade an item.

3 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

And yet as soon as these changes were announced our INT crafters got together on Discord and have decided that we will have a floating crafting galleon for exactly that purpose. All it does in PVE is make us save up all high level crafting for binge, go to a freeport, respec INT, sail out, find dolphins, jump overboard, get buff, climb back onboard, pick up min/max bred crow. (breeders were not too happy they now have a whole new line added for them to grind out besides the stuff they already had to do), craft away, finish, freeport to respec, and then go back to whatever you were doing. People will do all this and more to wring out a minimal return from a high level blueprint. You can always get that dreaded 0.1% result, but if you end up getting the other end of the range, your stuff is going to rock compared to everyone else. I pointed out a measure approach is probably best, because like so many other things, they don't know what they are doing for a PVE game (rewarding power creep and progression) and instead make kneejerk development decisions based on their inability to stop cheating and RMT actions on the PVP side. When was the last time you heard someone screaming about X countries people using aimbots "to win" in PVE.

1 hour ago, UnknownSystemError said:

And yet as soon as these changes were announced our INT crafters got together on Discord and have decided that we will have a floating crafting galleon for exactly that purpose. All it does in PVE is make us save up all high level crafting for binge, go to a freeport, respec INT, sail out, find dolphins, jump overboard, get buff, climb back onboard, pick up min/max bred crow. (breeders were not too happy they now have a whole new line added for them to grind out besides the stuff they already had to do), craft away, finish, freeport to respec, and then go back to whatever you were doing. People will do all this and more to wring out a minimal return from a high level blueprint. You can always get that dreaded 0.1% result, but if you end up getting the other end of the range, your stuff is going to rock compared to everyone else. I pointed out a measure approach is probably best, because like so many other things, they don't know what they are doing for a PVE game (rewarding power creep and progression) and instead make kneejerk development decisions based on their inability to stop cheating and RMT actions on the PVP side. When was the last time you heard someone screaming about X countries people using aimbots "to win" in PVE.

Well, yeah, I agree with all that.  It's another case of adjusting something to make sense in pvp and wrecking it for pve.  Who wants to get all those thatch and stone building BPs in pve anyway?  They make no sense there.

Crafting, especially in pve needs to be something people really have to specialize and sink some points into, and there should be really good high tier gear you can make if you do that.  It ought to be the base for the pve economy.  Have they also been downgrading a lot of the BPs in general?  I thought I read something about that.  Maybe some of the gear and weapons are OP in a pvp environment, and maybe they favor the megas.  I don't know.  But taking them out subtracts from the pve game.

I still remain ambivilent about a PVE econmy as long as you're required to be able to make the gear in order to use the gear. Sure there can be a world of difference between a BP crafted item and the equivilent type if made by someone who's maxed their crafting ability (crow, dolphin, repeated building for +x bonus multiplyer). However to use that legendary bow you still need to sink points into it to allow you to make/use them.

• Like 1

Maybe it would be a good idea if you could not add your int stat completely to items. Rather have the int stat on an crafted item be composed with 50% from your int value and 50% from the bp base value. So you cannot stack the int of gear you wear indefinitely as it will be a declining effect but still high int will allow better results than low int when crafting.