Sign in to follow this  
Talstorm

Ship Planks Thought

I was looking at the devs pie chart and saw how the devs wanted players to be out on the sea more rather than on land. I then thought of this simple change; rather than losing your planks when their health reaches zero, water would just spill into the ship. This would get rid of the farming for the spare planks, and get rid of the frustrating moments of having one less cannon on a side because you ran out of extra gunports. It would even make the repair hammer even more useful as people can't simply fill in the hole with another plank. Sure it would be a negligible change, but it would make it, so players don't have to farm, and recraft blueprint planks and gunports after a battle. 

11 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

and how do i do that while playing solo?

easy... put a NPC on the wheel and swing the hammer... that is what they are there for... the NPCs and the hammer... 

15 hours ago, Talstorm said:

I was looking at the devs pie chart and saw how the devs wanted players to be out on the sea more rather than on land. I then thought of this simple change; rather than losing your planks when their health reaches zero, water would just spill into the ship. This would get rid of the farming for the spare planks, and get rid of the frustrating moments of having one less cannon on a side because you ran out of extra gunports. It would even make the repair hammer even more useful as people can't simply fill in the hole with another plank. Sure it would be a negligible change, but it would make it, so players don't have to farm, and recraft blueprint planks and gunports after a battle. 

I wouldn't mind NOT losing the plank. However, the need to carry spares of everything is also a good thing. It also a matter of how you play, whether it's solo, PVP or PvE. 

17 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

easy... put a NPC on the wheel and swing the hammer... that is what they are there for... the NPCs and the hammer... 

how is that any different than stopping the ship and repairing myself?? it isnt. and that goes without mentioning the potential danger of running into a pack of enemies whie repairing since NPC doesnt know how to avoid enemies.

yeah you know the ship hp what is it on a good gally 15k- 20k, then you have resistance. maybe it needs a little balance, 200% resistance  would be  good enough. (down from now 300 to 400)

you should balance in that way that a ship should never be onehit, but maybe two or threehit (in endgame with myth stuff). this keeps ppl farming and building ships, and noone has a swimming fortress. this would mean nerf the sh out of cannon damage and cannon ball weight bc you need more balls, so you need more to farm aswell.

and, it creates time for other players to do things while the others repair their boat if they bail, while in a fight and after a fight aswell.

in a fight you need just one lucky shot and a bunch of cannons atm, this should change.

aswell as the fact that if your ship is slower than another you are pretty much scr.

if you just have a swimming fortress it is boring right.

so imagine 2 gallys shooting at eachother only with side cannons, common quality.

they should get dmg the same rate or sink the same rate to have even fights

if you have skilled 200% resistance, maybe the other gally has the same or is skilled in damage, it would be the exact same scenario either way.

so it does not matter how you skill it, you need more cannon balls or more time.

so what makes difference?

the cannons quality and the quality of the planks, because this is the real random thing here, you do not know you enemys boat, maybe you can check with a spyglass but then is is too late.

great balance changes would be:

• resistance and damage skilling in ships:

the effect should be equal, it should remove eachoter,

so 200% resistance equals 200% damage, that means if you have common quality cannons and you have skilled 200% and your oponent has 200% resistance you should have the same damage taken like a 100% resi gally against 100% damage gally

• nerf damage from cannons, 50% at least, this needs more cannon balls so reduce weight of balls, and fights will take longer.
  • maybe plank hp balance needed

Edited by photek

I wish they would improve NPC's especially for solo players. I'd like them to be able to all have repair hammer and run around the ship to repair whilst at sea, not just while you are anchored. This would at least give it more of a level playing field with other people who actually play in groups.

There is no doubt solo players are left behind in this game, focused more towards large companies and I don't like large companies, I prefer to be on my own or with a friend at certain times. Not sure how much they can improve the NPC but I really hope they do sometime soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

how is that any different than stopping the ship and repairing myself?? it isnt. and that goes without mentioning the potential danger of running into a pack of enemies whie repairing since NPC doesnt know how to avoid enemies.

how...? well the ship goes where you want it to go, while you can run around and do the repairs, or farm flotsam from the front (also see SOTD sooner, than from the back), also don't have to adjust sails, because the NPC is better at it, also with navigation...
but hell, what do we know, right...? we just seem to have no problem soloing our ships in MMO PVP environment... so we need a nerf for the one guy/girl/it that seems not to know how to play the game and therefore knows best, right...?

2 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

Yea, I regret making this suggestion on the forums. 🤣

On 10/4/2019 at 4:30 AM, Talstorm said:

Just to respond to it then, sure. Good idea. The thing I hate the most is the fact that your ship sinks when the most upper plank of the ship gets destroyed. It’s so stupid. If you change it so that losing a plank costs you an x amount of health points you don’t have to replace it immediately. This would probably get rid of the whole ‘1 plank too short’ problem. But ofcourse it also differs per ship since our Gally’s have spare planks but more than enough materials to rebuild a few if we come short, which hasn’t happened before. 

You do have to correct me when the whole ‘upper plank ship sinks’ is gone now, it used to still be here when we stopped playing. We’ve only been roaming around on our Gally’s doing some hot treasure runs and SoTD PVP since the wipe. And none of our planks have been destroyed yet, so I’m not sure if it is here still. 

Edited by Percieval

I have cleaned up the posts that have taken this way off-topic or that were just fighting.   @Talstorm should not feel regret for making a suggestion.