TakCan

Wild Pirates on Dedicated server

Out of curiosity has anyone been able to get the WPE to work on a dedicated server ? if so what settings are needed ? i have done a lot of testing and research but found nothing definitive yet. 

Thank You 

As of right now there is a setting that shows up under GameUserSettings that is defaulted to False. If changed to True, it is overwritten and automatically changed to false upon server stsrt. I don't believe it is supported for unofficial servers yet. I've even tried using DefaultGaneUserSettings in Read Only yet it adds a line in each individual grid's GameUserSettings adjusting the value to false and ignoring my read only value. 

Edited by Roteck

The patch notes say " "Wild Pirate Camps" option for singleplayer and non-dedicated sessions (enabled by default): take over each island across the ATLAS by attacking and claiming procedural enemy pirate camps, guarded by cannons, pirates wielding all sorts of weapons, and even powerful pirate ships! ". It would be nice to have some sort of confirmation from the devs
A. Does it actually work? and if no
B. When do you plan on fixing or telling everyone it doesn't work instead of admins being constantly badgered or servers being accused of not being set up correctly?

I get questioned about this on a daily basis. It would be nice if we didn't have to explain something that's not our fault.

Don't get me wrong, i think (and many others) that this is a great feature and would like the new challenge!

41 minutes ago, Munkeh said:

The patch notes say " "Wild Pirate Camps" option for singleplayer and non-dedicated sessions (enabled by default): take over each island across the ATLAS by attacking and claiming procedural enemy pirate camps, guarded by cannons, pirates wielding all sorts of weapons, and even powerful pirate ships! ". It would be nice to have some sort of confirmation from the devs
A. Does it actually work? and if no
B. When do you plan on fixing or telling everyone it doesn't work instead of admins being constantly badgered or servers being accused of not being set up correctly?

I get questioned about this on a daily basis. It would be nice if we didn't have to explain something that's not our fault.

Don't get me wrong, i think (and many others) that this is a great feature and would like the new challenge!

Yeah absolutely. I hope they're leaving out dedicated servers was not a ploy to move players onto their official network. I just don't see why it wouldn't be available for unofficial of it was available to official and single player. Of course I'm no game developer but I would love to have something to do in this game. 

Hello,

I'm also trying to make them work with no success

Here so far, what I've tried, found, it may help someone...
I tried to launch a non-dedicated server and activate wild pirates camp. I checked the game.ini and saw this addition at the end :
bUseWildPirateCamps=True

I tried this on the server... nothing
I saw nothing in the GameUSerSettings.ini related to WPE

I updated my map with the new editor, exporter the JSON. In it I can see coordinates for each island for wild pirates camps :

"wildPirateCampSpawnPoints": [
            "-26646.427734 57032.546875 15726.286133",
            "-33327.203125 42065.792969 16517.349609",
            "-2896.923340 12302.686523 14360.617188",
            "63194.441406 1899.462524 27179.417969",
            "37241.488281 10570.250977 31606.826172"
          ],

I tried adding some of the new islands... still nothing

I activated the claiming system (was not activated on our server), I also activated settlement mode... but still no pirate camp....

I also tried to TP to these coordinates and I ended on another island... 

Edited by BadSpencer

1 hour ago, BadSpencer said:

Hello,

I'm also trying to make them work with no success

Here so far, what I've tried, found, it may help someone...
I tried to launch a non-dedicated server and activate wild pirates camp. I checked the game.ini and saw this addition at the end :
bUseWildPirateCamps=True

I tried this on the server... nothing
I saw nothing in the GameUSerSettings.ini related to WPE

I updated my map with the new editor, exporter the JSON. In it I can see coordinates for each island for wild pirates camps :

"wildPirateCampSpawnPoints": [
            "-26646.427734 57032.546875 15726.286133",
            "-33327.203125 42065.792969 16517.349609",
            "-2896.923340 12302.686523 14360.617188",
            "63194.441406 1899.462524 27179.417969",
            "37241.488281 10570.250977 31606.826172"
          ],

I tried adding some of the new islands... still nothing

I activated the claiming system (was not activated on our server), I also activated settlement mode... but still no pirate camp....

I also tried to TP to these coordinates and I ended on another island... 

It's just not supported yet for dedicated servers.

You can activate WPC but you have to start a new server. Unfortunately they seem to be bugged. After playing for a few days they seemed to spawn again and again at the same place, even there is already one... So there were 4 budings, 4 canon towers, aso. at the same place. 

I have created a new full server grid, and I still get nothing. The =true still reverts back to =false.  So when you say " You can activate WPC but you have to start a new server." You must be talking about non-dedicated  or single player.   

Yea really wish the Devs would add this already. Makes things a whole lot more interesting and the world feel more Alive!!!

Old thread - info on this is still spotty at best.  Have tried multiple things to get this working on dedicated, including:

1. Changing island Pirate Camp Spawn coordinates.  

Each island exposes a set of coordinates that appear to be (x, y, z) as you would expect. You can edit these in the ServerGridEditor, or directly in the ServerGrid json file you generate and upload for your custom map.  The thinking here was the coordinates were possibly static to the single player map (which is a derivative of the 11x11 pvp map from a few seasons back.)  I tested by using `setcheatplayer true` admin command to get a readout of coords in game. Carefully mapped out a few test locations on custom placed islands. No dice.  I then jumped into the single player map, tracked down one of my map's islands Cay_N_EE located in C5 I believe. I used `cheat setplayerpos` to teleport to the coords defined on this island out of the box. Turns out they don't correspond to locations on the islands at all - not global, local, or grid coords.  So scratch that idea.

2. Parameter manipulation.

I did discover (may have been mentioned here or somewhere else I've come across) that the `bUseWildPirateCamps` will retain its setting if placed under Game.ini  [/Script/ShooterGame.ShooterGameMode] , (where it appears to be enabled for single player. It does revert as others say, if modified under GameUserSettings.ini [/Game/PrimalEarth/CoreBlueprints/TestGameMode.TestGameMode_C] .  This made no difference.  I went a few steps further - deleted the redundant parameter under GameUserSettings (it did save the deletion), and also tried turning on the setting to "Use Single Player Settings" also under Game.ini - in case it was related.  Still nothing.

Finally, I tried placing the `bUseWildPirateCamps` and single player setting as overrides directly on biome templates I'm using in ServerGridEditor.  Still nada.

3. Hosting dedicated SP map

I grabbed the single player json and map images from the actual Atlas game files, instead of ServerGridEditor and uploaded that map to my 3x3 capable hosting setup.  I centered around B8 freeport as to avoid a known bug when running a dedicated version of this map.  My hope with doing this, was to eliminate the unknown  of "Is this game config related, map config related, or is it baked directly into the islands and requiring diving into the Atlas Devkit?" 

To this last part ^ if I follow this logic, we can probably say it's not Devkit configuration, and it's probably not Map (ServerGrid) configuration.  But of course, still not sure.  My best guess at the moment, is there is some non-semantically named .ini setting besides the actual `bUseWildPirateCamps` param.  My next step is to copy over single player .ini files to my host.  That's for another day.

4. Lastly, I tried installing and using the "WildNPCs - Pirates" mod in the workshop. 

The mod author never finished it, and appears to have been too busy to come back, or has possibly abandoned it.  I let it sit for 24 hours.  Nothing.

The one and only thing that has worked, is using the manual spawn command from the mod. It's best to do this after setting yourself invincible, and for enemies to ignore you  (basically you're invisible).  Then you can start a wild camp and spawn in pirate ship that will patrol the island coastline, as long as you are placing it somewhere close to deep water shore (so the boat doesn't get stuck).

And this ^ is of course a terrible solution - because no one wants to fly around and manually spawn in a bunch of camps on 45 islands.  If I can find an interface for the Admin console outside the game, I'd script this and script calculating the coordinates in a .bat file or something.

And then I realized, I'm not getting paid!  Devs, can  you please finish this feature? It seems like all the underlying structure is already in place - perhaps you didn't learn much about it from a former dev when teams transitioned?  I doubt it would take you a fraction of the time that I've spent fiddling with this by now.  

Cheers 🙂