Jump to content

Excelex

So how does it make sense to launch the servers

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Okay so if I understand you correctly the reason Xbox players should cool their jets about pc pvp players getting the 10 day head start is that data collected from it should help ensure a smoother launch for them?

 

If this is correct, then let me humbly suggest that you cannot possibly over communicate this too much in the next 10 days. Consider getting a tattoo. Pay Realist to stand outside the forums with a sandwhich board. Maybe hire a blimp. Run an ad on Sunday Night Football.

Make sure they understand the benefit to them.

I would be a lot nicer on social media did they did that lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Okay so if I understand you correctly the reason Xbox players should cool their jets about pc pvp players getting the 10 day head start is that data collected from it should help ensure a smoother launch for them?

That doesn't make sense. Why are xbox players cooling their jets about a 10 day head start, if the "them" does not include the pc pvp players with the 10 day head start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

That doesn't make sense. Why are xbox players cooling their jets about a 10 day head start, if the "them" does not include the pc pvp players with the 10 day head start?

*If*I understood what he was saying correctly, think of it this way. PC players are lab rats for the Xbox build, testing it during the 10 day head start to ensure a smoother launch for all xbox players. So the benefit to xbox players is a smoother launch for the Xbox build. At least that is what Jat is saying, if I understood him correctly.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

*If*I understood what he was saying correctly, think of it this way. PC players are lab rats for the Xbox build, testing it during the 10 day head start to ensure a smoother launch for all xbox players. So the benefit to xbox players is a smoother launch for the Xbox build. At least that is what Jat is saying, if I understood him correctly.

Yeah that does make sense. Not good sense or a good idea but it makes sense. Unfortunately it makes sense I should say. Still a bad idea though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 8ball said:

Sounds reasonable.  And to be honest, if Xbox players want to start at same time as pc users, they can join the following servers at their launch.

What if PC players want to start at the same time as PC players and Xbobs? Xbob devs testing the game might have to do?

 

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

*If*I understood what he was saying correctly, think of it this way. PC players are lab rats for the Xbox build, testing it during the 10 day head start to ensure a smoother launch for all xbox players. So the benefit to xbox players is a smoother launch for the Xbox build. At least that is what Jat is saying, if I understood him correctly.

Yes, it doesn't make sense to me. NA pvp missing out, yet as it launches first, it should be the most competitive server. Segregation of player pop is never a good thing.

Nevermind, nothing is going to change the devs ways.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Realist said:

Yeah that does make sense. Not good sense or a good idea but it makes sense. Unfortunately it makes sense I should say. Still a bad idea though.

I'm tempted to say I feel like there ought to be a better way to go about accomplishing what they're trying to accomplish, but then I think I would start to get into that territory of talking about stuff I have no experience with. @Winter Thorne or @Doc Holliday or other technically versed people with a background in the industry might be able to speak to this more directly, but I'm not going to say beyond what I've already said, which is if you're going to do it this way, make sure everyone on Xbox knows what the upside is for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

*If*I understood what he was saying correctly, think of it this way. PC players are lab rats for the Xbox build, testing it during the 10 day head start to ensure a smoother launch for all xbox players. So the benefit to xbox players is a smoother launch for the Xbox build. At least that is what Jat is saying, if I understood him correctly.

Ok, I've made my mind up.. you're like a RL troll who is very confused... Please pick a side of the fence to be on.  And yes, now I am targeting you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Postaljay said:

Ok, I've made my mind up.. you're like a RL troll who is very confused... Please pick a side of the fence to be on.  And yes, now I am targeting you.

No.

You're confused because you have bought into a way of seeing things that does not account for me.

I don't believe in the fence.

The fence is an illusion, an arbitrary distinction that our tribal instincts push us to construct. The flaw with the concept of the fence is that it locks us into a side regardless of objective facts, reason, compelling evidence, or truth. Picking a side of the fence means I'm for the devs when they make poor decisions and against them when the people criticizing them are being foolish, childish or self indulgent. Instead I'm for the side that hopes for a game worth playing, but does not shirk from offering feedback that is critical of design decisions that I think are poor.

I think GrapeCard™ both deserves praise for resisting some of the short sighted anti consumer practices like lootboxes that so called AAA studios are exploiting to the hilt so badly that governments are starting to feel compelled to step in and intervene with legislation and regulation, and also criticism for pushing Atlas into Early Access when it was barely a playable product and should have been considerably further along the development cycle before asking anyone to pay for it.

The world is not black and white and although I understand the urge to simplify by seeing it in these more simplistic terms, reality is most often shades of grey. No one is right all the time or wrong all the time. Development teams are made up of fallible human beings, so are playerbase. Picking a side would mean foregoing criticism that is valid of either party if it’s not the one I picked, or praise when it is called for. I call it like I see it, and the side I'm on is the side of reason, of attacking arguments instead of people. Debate is healthy. Disagreement is natural. Mudslinging because someone disagrees with you is childish. 

If you doubt me ask the people who have been here all along. They know me.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, did Jat say that when the NA Pvp comes online and the pc players can hop in and start playing that some of the dev's or chosen people by the devs will be on their xbox's playing along with everyone on pc, for testing? If so.. get em! 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have made much more sense if the only server up was a PTR server for two weeks.  It would accomplish the exact same thing of testing a live environment - you just need to say we are wiping in two weeks but have fun breaking the game and getting intel on the new map.

But I can think of no better way to get PC players back to the game that they dropped long ago than saying...

"Hey come back - we are packing those XBOX fish into a barrel for ya.!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

No.

You're confused because you have bought into a way of seeing things that does not account for me.

I don't believe in the fence.

The fence is an illusion, an arbitrary distinction that our tribal instincts push us to construct. The flaw with the concept of the fence is that it locks us into a side regardless of objective facts, reason, compelling evidence, or truth. Picking a side of the fence means I'm for the devs when they make poor decisions and against them when the people criticizing them are being foolish, childish or self indulgent. Instead I'm for the side that hopes for a game worth playing, but does not shirk from offering feedback that is critical of design decisions that I think are poor.

I think GrapeCard™ both deserves praise for resisting some of the short sighted anti consumer practices like lootboxes that so called AAA studios are exploiting to the hilt so badly that governments are starting to feel compelled to step in and intervene with legislation and regulation, and also criticism for pushing Atlas into Early Access when it was barely a playable product and should have been considerably further along the development cycle before asking anyone to pay for it.

The world is not black and white and although I understand the urge to simplify by seeing it in these more simplistic terms, reality is most often shades of grey. No one is right all the time or wrong all the time. Development teams are made up of fallible human beings, so are playerbase. Picking a side would mean foregoing criticism that is valid of either party if it’s not the one I picked, or praise when it is called for. I call it like I see it, and the side I'm on is the side of reason, of attacking arguments instead of people. Debate is healthy. Disagreement is natural. Mudslinging because someone disagrees with you is childish. 

If you doubt me ask the people who have been here all along. They know me.

Lol, the new guy called you a troll 😂

almost fell off my couch 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Realist said:

Lol, the new guy called you a troll 😂

almost fell off my couch 😂

I know. Kind of amusing. I figured you in particular would get a kick out of that. He’s just used to tribalistic dichotomy. It’s sadly how most things are these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I know. Kind of amusing. I figured you in particular would get a kick out of that. He’s just used to tribalistic dichotomy. It’s sadly how most things are these days.

Yeah you would believe how many words get used way too much and also out of context these days. 

Side note: trying to rush and finish what I call the parking lot at my pyramid. Basically we had build a huge outer wall around our pyramid(60x60) so the wall is somewhere around 100x100, we are filling it all in and putting down somewhere around 35 taming pens for gold/silver rocknose. Basically a gold and silver farm but it is a lot of mats. After that we need to finish the Taj Mahal before atlas starts so we are busting out Butts right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Postaljay said:

Ok, I've made my mind up.. you're like a RL troll who is very confused... Please pick a side of the fence to be on.  And yes, now I am targeting you.

Funny. @boomervoncannon is the least trolling person here.  (Looks @realist) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 8ball said:

Funny. @boomervoncannon is the least trolling person here.  (Looks @realist) 

 

👎😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 8:34 PM, Excelex said:

How are you guys going to give PC players a 10 day start? A LOT of these players will be veterans and will wipe EVERY new player as soon as they enter PVP.. This needs to be changed! The servers should be taken down UNTIL the release date on the 8th. I get that PC players already paid for the game, but it makes ZERO sense to do this. I am an Xbox player, and I have not even played this game yet, I have no idea what to do. Sure, I played ARK but this is not ARK. 

 

"Following the wipe, we will be permanently relaunching the NA PvP Network"

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I should point out that only the NA PVP server has gone live. The NA PVE - EU PVE & EU PVP will not be going live till the 8th. Same day as the Xbox gets access. Though for the life of me I cannot understand why the NA PVP has been given preferential treatment over the other servers. If it is ok for one then it should have been the same for the others or else all should have waited until the 8th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I should point out that only the NA PVP server has gone live. The NA PVE - EU PVE & EU PVP will not be going live till the 8th. Same day as the Xbox gets access. Though for the life of me I cannot understand why the NA PVP has been given preferential treatment over the other servers. If it is ok for one then it should have been the same for the others or else all should have waited until the 8th. 

check Jat's posting history. He made a post yesterday essentially saying that using NA PVP as a guinea pig for the Xbox build over the next 10 days would give them a head start on finding an bugs or other issues with that build and help ensure a smoother overall launch. I'm not entirely sure I buy the notion that was the best course of action, but that is the explanation being given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree,  Honestly not sure why they pander to the pvp croud so much.  

I tried to play on the pvp servers at one point,  just packed full of toxic racist and anti semitic neck beard "alpha nerd" trash.   Ive seen this in other games in the past, but never as bad as in this game.  At least on the pve servers its few and far in between  having to run into someone like that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zelloss said:

I agree,  Honestly not sure why they pander to the pvp croud so much.  

I tried to play on the pvp servers at one point,  just packed full of toxic racist and anti semitic neck beard "alpha nerd" trash.   Ive seen this in other games in the past, but never as bad as in this game.  At least on the pve servers its few and far in between  having to run into someone like that.   

When did you try the pvp servers? I have stuck almost exclusively to pve in this game as well, but the tendency is for that sort of behavior to be at it's zenith shortly after a game's launch or a major content update when overall activity is high.  Later on when things settle down, or in Atlas's case die down, often things get a bit less insane. My theory is that this kind of asshattery tends to go hand in hand with short attention span, so these types go to a new game, act out til they get banned or their extreme behavior makes them social pariahs, then move on to something else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

check Jat's posting history. He made a post yesterday essentially saying that using NA PVP as a guinea pig for the Xbox build over the next 10 days would give them a head start on finding an bugs or other issues with that build and help ensure a smoother overall launch. I'm not entirely sure I buy the notion that was the best course of action, but that is the explanation being given.

Wasn't that supposed to have been done on the test server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He said in the explanation something about being unable to get the necessary player pop levels for that to be useful iirc. If I were you I’d look it up rather than depend on the old sharp as jello Boomer memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

Wasn't that supposed to have been done on the test server?

The new islands and basically the mega update. They better give some incentive if they want to stress test the server like very high rates. Otherwise a stress test would be pointless 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't want the xbox customers to get turned off the game on launch, like what happened to us. And it's looking like they are having issues now. Soo, yeah, probably a smart move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 8ball said:

They don't want the xbox customers to get turned off the game on launch, like what happened to us. And it's looking like they are having issues now. Soo, yeah, probably a smart move.

Talked to a few of my buddies and them not wiping na pvp(where we live) is turning them off the game. That is also why my buddy and I are going pve. We just got a third that was cool with it so that will make the schooner a lot easier.

bottom line though is if they wanted the old Megas of Xbox to come here it was definitely not a good choice or smart move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I'm tempted to say I feel like there ought to be a better way to go about accomplishing what they're trying to accomplish, but then I think I would start to get into that territory of talking about stuff I have no experience with. @Winter Thorne or @Doc Holliday or other technically versed people with a background in the industry might be able to speak to this more directly, but I'm not going to say beyond what I've already said, which is if you're going to do it this way, make sure everyone on Xbox knows what the upside is for them.

If I were managing the project, I probably would have done this.

1.  There are not enough people on the ptr to shake this out properly

2.  This forces everyone who wants to play over the next 10 days to play on one server.  Many people may do this just to see the new stuff, even if they don't intend to stay there.

3.  The pvp servers have things that need testing over and above what the pve servers have.  

As for picking NA pvp over EU pvp, I'd flip a coin.   

Xbobs may not have to worry about joining NA pvp when this is over.  The population on rush day was not terribly high, and it'll be even lower once the sightseers leave.  A full 12 hours after the servers opened up, there weren't many islands claimed at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×