Excelex

So how does it make sense to launch the servers

29 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

If I were managing the project, I probably would have done this.

1.  There are not enough people on the ptr to shake this out properly

2.  This forces everyone who wants to play over the next 10 days to play on one server.  Many people may do this just to see the new stuff, even if they don't intend to stay there.

3.  The pvp servers have things that need testing over and above what the pve servers have.  

As for picking NA pvp over EU pvp, I'd flip a coin.   

Xbobs may not have to worry about joining NA pvp when this is over.  The population on rush day was not terribly high, and it'll be even lower once the sightseers leave.  A full 12 hours after the servers opened up, there weren't many islands claimed at all.

Well there you have it. Winter Thorne, no great fan of this dev team or it’s ways, says this was likely the right move. Thanks for your insight as always.

48 minutes ago, Realist said:

Talked to a few of my buddies and them not wiping na pvp(where we live) is turning them off the game. That is also why my buddy and I are going pve. We just got a third that was cool with it so that will make the schooner a lot easier.

bottom line though is if they wanted the old Megas of Xbox to come here it was definitely not a good choice or smart move.

You wouldn't know the horrors of the initial launch. If your buds had to go through that,  how many would stay. So, yeah, was probably a wise decision.

52 minutes ago, 8ball said:

You wouldn't know the horrors of the initial launch. If your buds had to go through that,  how many would stay. So, yeah, was probably a wise decision.

I know people say I don’t know anything but I was actually just as excited about atlas as the pc guys were. I was watching multiple twitch streamers, following twitter, forums Reddit. Even though I didn’t personally experience what what was going on I definitely saw what was going on. This was not a rant on you by the way, just against the dismissive manner of some. I have eyes therefore I see lol.

but yeah, I feel for you guys. I was watching with my own eyes especially the sea of bodies lol. That was probably the worst. People begging others to kill them.

luckily I would hope with pve it would be different. Like “hey let’s all agree to go to this island company up and sail the hell out of here and then part ways once we get out of here” lol

pvp will not go that way

2 hours ago, Realist said:

I know people say I don’t know anything but I was actually just as excited about atlas as the pc guys were. I was watching multiple twitch streamers, following twitter, forums Reddit. Even though I didn’t personally experience what what was going on I definitely saw what was going on. This was not a rant on you by the way, just against the dismissive manner of some. I have eyes therefore I see lol.

but yeah, I feel for you guys. I was watching with my own eyes especially the sea of bodies lol. That was probably the worst. People begging others to kill them.

luckily I would hope with pve it would be different. Like “hey let’s all agree to go to this island company up and sail the hell out of here and then part ways once we get out of here” lol

pvp will not go that way

I didn't take what you wrote as a personal attack.

I was on pve at launch. I'm not talking about any difference between pvp and pve, just the server and game performance. 

I look back at how many quit or refunded at that launch. I just think they are trying to avoid that with xbox folk. And I can understand that, too.

I am not a GS fanboy but, I do think this game has so much potential and I am still hopeful.  I have played and enjoyed this game very much and intend on doing so. I have been fortunate in that I have only experienced an apparently small amount of issues that I read about on these forums.

If I was an xbox player, I'd rather start a game with fewer issues over starting and being so frustrated that I wouldn't play at all. 

For a fresh start, play EU. I do now and experience no latency or lag being in NA.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:08 AM, boomervoncannon said:

I think that Atlas as a concept and some aspects of its implementation to date holds significant potential. I’m aware that the opera ain’t over til the fat lady sings, and I remain hopeful that they can produce a quality game, but so far no one can reasonably say things have gone well.

Also, welcome to the forums. It’s good to hear from fresh voices.

the fat woman died because ... well beause she was fat. r.i.p.

3 hours ago, 8ball said:

I didn't take what you wrote as a personal attack.

I was on pve at launch. I'm not talking about any difference between pvp and pve, just the server and game performance. 

I look back at how many quit or refunded at that launch. I just think they are trying to avoid that with xbox folk. And I can understand that, too.

I am not a GS fanboy but, I do think this game has so much potential and I am still hopeful.  I have played and enjoyed this game very much and intend on doing so. I have been fortunate in that I have only experienced an apparently small amount of issues that I read about on these forums.

If I was an xbox player, I'd rather start a game with fewer issues over starting and being so frustrated that I wouldn't play at all. 

For a fresh start, play EU. I do now and experience no latency or lag being in NA.

Sorry man, I know you said a lot. I still wouldn’t do NA though. Not after this. 

But yes, I figured you wouldn’t see it as an attack but I always make sure to say it just in case.

I agree with OP - it’s very, very stupid to give PC players a head start. But also with the dude’s saying it doesn’t matter if Xbox players get a headstart, they can never win against PC players.

So my question is, are there exclusive PvP xbox servers? If not, then there is no way for Xbox players to play PvP, which is a shame. 

Edited by Percieval

23 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I agree with OP - it’s very, very stupid to give PC players a head start. But also with the dude’s saying it doesn’t matter if Xbox players get a headstart, they can never win against PC players.

So my question is, are there exclusive PvP xbox servers? If not, then there is no way for Xbox players to play PvP, which is a shame. 

All the servers are crossplay. They haven’t actually added any servers since you last played.

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

All the servers are crossplay. They haven’t actually added any servers since you last played.

They really should add xbox only servers then. I seriously don’t understand the crossplay in ANY way. 

In pvp, xbox players have 0 chance against PC players. And in PvE it can all be fun, but in PvE massive bases are build with lots and lots of animals, so the lag is enormous on good gaming rigs, imagine how shit it will be on a console. 

On 9/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, Excelex said:

How are you guys going to give PC players a 10 day start? A LOT of these players will be veterans and will wipe EVERY new player as soon as they enter PVP.. This needs to be changed! The servers should be taken down UNTIL the release date on the 8th. I get that PC players already paid for the game, but it makes ZERO sense to do this. I am an Xbox player, and I have not even played this game yet, I have no idea what to do. Sure, I played ARK but this is not ARK.  

"Following the wipe, we will be permanently relaunching the NA PvP Network"

thats what happens to console peasants, rise my friend and join the glorious pc master race!! 😂

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

They really should add xbox only servers then. I seriously don’t understand the crossplay in ANY way. 

In pvp, xbox players have 0 chance against PC players. And in PvE it can all be fun, but in PvE massive bases are build with lots and lots of animals, so the lag is enormous on good gaming rigs, imagine how shit it will be on a console. 

are you seriousñy crying over 10 days? you were gonna get rekt anyways since pc players are already veterans with high knowledge of the game, believe me when i say that 10 days adventage is the least of you problems.

22 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

thats what happens to console peasants, rise my friend and join the glorious pc master race!! 😂

are you seriousñy crying over 10 days? you were gonna get rekt anyways since pc players are already veterans with high knowledge of the game, believe me when i say that 10 days adventage is the least of you problems.

*coughs* 

You might wanna look at Perci’s post count and join date before you assume he’s an Xbox player new to the game. He’s actually a returning player who was very active during initial launch. Just FYI.

12 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

*coughs* 

You might wanna look at Perci’s post count and join date before you assume he’s an Xbox player new to the game. He’s actually a returning player who was very active during initial launch. Just FYI.

while i was replying to him i was talking in general, also all my respects to him, i was just in the "lets slaughter them booooiis" mood 😅

they keep failing just like sylvanas... incredible!

giving NA 10day headstart is so fuckin stupid. most xbox players are americans. how do you think they will feel when they see everything build and ready to eat them alive? they quit the game in a few days and never come back. good strategy lol

oh you need to test things before the xbox launch? ohhh hmm WELL HOW ABOUT A FUCKIN TESTREALM THAT YOU CAN PUT OFFLINE ANYTIME YOU WANT WITHOUT MAKING ANYONE ANGRY??

this game is so fuckin dead

I think they should have made 2 extra servers for crossplay. That doing on the real XBox release date. So also people have a choice to want to get the playerbase of crossplay. Now we do not have a choice and i think they messed up a huge load of servers/ crossplay server setup and in back end regular network conncitons for PC players is lots more unstable as before. Why not did some more beta testing. Or make use of beta tab and let player role back to there last good working game version? Which was may more stable.

22 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

I’m a PC player matey. 

If they wanted to only release one server to have the chance to modify/fix any major problems that could come up before they launched the other servers (and why, exactly, did they think it was a good idea to only put up a pvp server? They should have done one of each: pvp and a pve... how unfair to make the pve people wait... that just not good business sense), then wouldn't it have made sense to go ahead and release xbox/crossplay the same day so that if there were any problems with THAT part too, it could also be fixed before all servers went back up? I mean, come on now... something isn't right. they just aren't using their brains or something. 

Heya Grapeshot: The longer you make people wait to be able to play, the more people you're going to lose to anger and boredom.

I'm a PC player (I don't have xbox, I have ps4 so..) and I have no ill-will towards console players. I agree though... why give one platform the headstart over the other? Not cool. And its not cool that us PvE players have to wait a week to rebuild (yet again). Now its my day off, and I can't even get started. Even more sad is that I don't know if I'll get time off on or around the 8th to dig back in. 

They REALLY should have put up a PvE server with the PvP one, and went ahead and released xbox/crossplay NOW rather than waiting till later. 

hey it is only a few days away don't worry, THE FLOOD IS COMING! Expect about 19,000 players in the US alone on release day.  Once we see something new appear on our dashboard that says New game in early access, players jump the gun and buy it right off the bat. The ark community was very strong on xbox we are talking about 250+ servers that were all full at one point of the game. If the game is $30.00 that is $525,000 dollars and is a good start for the developers to start fixing the bull shit I see posted around these forums, and actually follow their road map. I know $525,000 is a small number but this game can grow to be huge if they actually focus more sense in ship battles. Remeber 1.7 million players where playing sea of thieves at on point on the xbox one at the same time 🙂 IF this game went inside the Xbox Game Pass, Every single server would be packed, day one. 

Well I'm about ready to just throw in the towel. They don't really read this stuff anyway, so no point posting anything. I'm pretty sure they don't care what we think, and thats the problem.

I'm sitting here on my only two days off for the next gods-know-how-long and I can't play Atlas. Why? because they LOVE their pvp people, and so those are the only players who get to have a server right now. 

Yes, I know they're testing, but why would you do this to the xbox ppl and the pve ppl? We're just forced to sit here and watch while the pc pvp people get to play. 

Its unfair, and dumb, to treat their player-base/potential player-base this way.

They could get a better picture of bugs to fix if they'd just open it to everyone now. They're not accounting for the crap that will happen when people flood in. #DayOneLaunchFUBAR

Load up single player, Spawn in a schooner and go scout out base locations, check out the new islands and biome and get surprised when a canon ball lands beside you as you are looking around an island because you forgot that WPE is a thing on single player.

1 hour ago, Sansa Phoenix said:

Well I'm about ready to just throw in the towel. They don't really read this stuff anyway, so no point posting anything. I'm pretty sure they don't care what we think, and thats the problem.

I'm sitting here on my only two days off for the next gods-know-how-long and I can't play Atlas. Why? because they LOVE their pvp people, and so those are the only players who get to have a server right now. 

Yes, I know they're testing, but why would you do this to the xbox ppl and the pve ppl? We're just forced to sit here and watch while the pc pvp people get to play. 

Its unfair, and dumb, to treat their player-base/potential player-base this way.

They could get a better picture of bugs to fix if they'd just open it to everyone now. They're not accounting for the crap that will happen when people flood in. #DayOneLaunchFUBAR

Looks like you're mad you can't play.  I get this.  I'm mad they wiped for new islands and cats, which means they wiped for no benefit to the players.

But you're not right about the testing.

If they had opened all the servers back up, here's what would happen:

The new xbox people would get no even start on any server at all

Each server would only have a couple hundred people on it, which is not enough to test anything having to do with the networking at all.  This is why they did it in the first place, because a couple thousand people did not go test on the ptr simultaneously.  They've already found and corrected one issue where some of the servers, mostly the freeports, were reporting they were full, and a routine was kicking in that auto-moved players to other random servers.  It was nasty.  Would they have found that with 200 players per server?  Probably not.

This testing is mostly focused on network testing - connectivity for xbox.  Jat said the devs are running xbox clients on it for the test.  There is not very much if anything that needs to be function tested, because there's not new content.  In another post you said that they should have done this on pve because things work differently there.  Very few things work differently there.  If you're changing claims or changing game rules for combat things, sure, you want to make sure you haven't screwed up the different ways those things are used in pve,  But that's not what's happening here.  For the purposes of this test, a pvp server contains everything you can do in pve , plus the pvp stuff.  So it has all the components, while a pve server does not.  Testing the limited additions of island shapes and cats makes sense there.

If you're mad you can't play, you can just say that, and you'd actually get a certain number of people to agree with you.  Some may make good suggestions, like Jack Shandy did.  But  making bad arguments about the testing just makes it look like you're grasping at straws because you're afraid to say you're mad you can't play.

There's plenty to be mad about.  I'm mad about the wipe.  Still.

Yup and even reported, well not a bug but something they missed, the stack size of all meat was increased to 50 but they forgot to do the cooked fish, that was still at 30.

Not a big issue, but testing is testing.

I AM mad that pve can't play too. Sure.

As for the testing, from what I understood, there were some new things added that could affect pvp and pve both differently, so to me if thats the case, then they should have tested both side by side to be sure. 

As for the xbox part of it, again, I know they are doing in-house testing with that right now, but is that really the same as having that huge influx of players? I still remember initial release. Day 1 was absolutely nuts with issues that their in-house testing didn't provide enough 'bodies' (Pun intended ;) ) to truly test out. This is why I said they should have at least released the full thing for one pvp and one pve grid for testing.

Not only do they get a correct view of what needs to be fixed, but WE all get a chance to play the new content too. it would have been a win/win. 

Maybe you're right, and certainly I don't know everything.. This just made more sense to me than what they are doing.

And I feel sorry for the xbox ppl going to na pvp because the pc players on that server will have a 10 day head start over them. in pvp, thats huge.