Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Ok so we decided on official pve

@Realist, when you say you want ALL discovery points, you really have no idea the scope of what you're saying. I wish you luck. If you do it before the cows come home, I'll be impressed. Hell I'll even make it interesting. If you can get ALL of the discovery points in under 1000 hours of playing time, I'll personally watch @PeglegTheAngry eat a handful of live bees.

He's already angry.

How much difference can it really make?

He'll be fine.

Probably.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

@Realist, when you say you want ALL discovery points, you really have no idea the scope of what you're saying. I wish you luck. If you do it before the cows come home, I'll be impressed. Hell I'll even make it interesting. If you can get ALL of the discovery points in under 1000 hours of playing time, I'll personally watch @PeglegTheAngry eat a handful of live bees.

He's already angry.

How much difference can it really make?

He'll be fine.

Probably.

Well I would really like to watch that too actually so challenge accepted lol

3 hours ago, eeeceee said:

Ok.

Some areas have more discoveries, deserts were a favourite due to them having ruins near the beach. Golden age ruins can also be good. Going for the easy disco pts is the best option, sometimes don't bother with climbing picks or even running up to the top of mountains. Spyglass will show you disco pts, so you can just sail around, spyglass will show disco pt, get the island disco pt, then spyglass again to see if there is any easy disco pts. If you want to explore and get all the discovery pts, in a way that doesn't bother about building/hoarding mats or reaching end game, it is as simple as go to every island. There was a person on reddit who was doing simply that, just sailing around getting the disco pts on a sloop or schooner.

Brigs are sadly useless for speed and transporting stuff, tbh. Climbing picks are very useful.

Getting the disco pts first is a good idea, as you will then avoid wasting possible xp gained when you work out what you're doing. However, while you're getting disco pts, I will be grinding and will have more stuff than you always 😛

Cow and chicken on the ship is the *best* for rp'ing/pve'ing at the start, cows give milk for blue vitamin, chickens give yellow, craploads of berries (some colour), and some cooked meat (the other colour) Fortitude is good stat to start out with, and is what I lvl up myself. Unfortunately, due to the way the hunger and vitamin system work together currently, sometimes you want less fortitude. I think 10 or 15 fort is fine at the start.

Going for medicine (and building and farming) is a good plan, if someone else can go captaineering and ship building. I think at the start, everyone needs to aim for beast mastery tier 2.

I’m proud of you man. For all the deservingly crap you gave the realist, you helped him. I only hope he goes to eupve. Only kidding kinda 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gumbyc said:

I’m proud of you man. For all the deservingly crap you gave the realist, you helped him. I only hope he goes to eupve. Only kidding kinda 

I second this. Lord knows nobody knows better than me that Realist can drive you to distraction sometimes, but he has proven to me over time that he's a fundamentally decent person, even if he seems a bit misguided at times. None of us is perfect and the best example any of us can set is to help each other out, so good for you EC (I'm not typing that long thing out).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I second this. Lord knows nobody knows better than me that Realist can drive you to distraction sometimes, but he has proven to me over time that he's a fundamentally decent person, even if he seems a bit misguided at times. None of us is perfect and the best example any of us can set is to help each other out, so good for you EC (I'm not typing that long thing out).

Yeah you guys will get to see the other side of me now. I usually get along with everybody I meet to be honest. I get a little 🍆ish on the internet but IRL I am one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

sometimes it’s fun to poke and prod a little. Two sides to every coin and all that.

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Man, I love spicy food but that's pushing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Man, I love spicy food but that's pushing it.

Too late he already said it 😂

tame any creature easily by building a schooner with a accsesable hull...i.e not top deck...ramp the ends down to the lowest deck...

pull up at a shore where you see whatever creature you want....build a ramp (sloped roof) from edge of shore to the edge of your schooner

make sure you have bolas,whatever food the tame requires,bow and arrows

agrivate the chosen prey on the top of your ramp or near....then let animal chase you up the ramp where it will drop down into your hull and be in that slidey state with no escape.....

position ones self up a bit higher to take down energy and bola.....

still be carefull when feeding...sneak and hit that sweet spot

24 minutes ago, hurricane moon said:

tame any creature easily by building a schooner with a accsesable hull...i.e not top deck...ramp the ends down to the lowest deck...

pull up at a shore where you see whatever creature you want....build a ramp (sloped roof) from edge of shore to the edge of your schooner

make sure you have bolas,whatever food the tame requires,bow and arrows

agrivate the chosen prey on the top of your ramp or near....then let animal chase you up the ramp where it will drop down into your hull and be in that slidey state with no escape.....

position ones self up a bit higher to take down energy and bola.....

still be carefull when feeding...sneak and hit that sweet spot

Smash and grab. I love it!!! 👍

9 hours ago, Realist said:

I am digging the tame times. That is awesome. I remember raw meat taming a quetzal in back in early 2016 lmao.

Tame times are good, I tame stuff just for fun quite often. The only animal that can be annoying to tame is the giraffe. They are ornery.

That's why it's just so annoying that the breeding is EXACTLY the fucking same, except they added further annoyance with the temp/biome requirements. The temp/biome requirements are good in theory, but just not when used with the copy paste from ark.

What about brontos? I remember taming a quetz for the 8 hours or whatever it was, in mid-air using a friend's quetz, and I fell asleep at the keyboard. I woke up the next day, my eyes start focusing on the scene displayed on my monitor, I think I can see my character (somehow alive) standing next to a dead quetz on the ground, then the vague memory of seeing the taming was 99% done, and relaxing because I thought yay I made it, shuffled around in my brain.

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 1

a few humble opinions.

if just going for discovery points at first.

1. u want a schooner. its big enough to hold a couple cows and all the basic crafting stations. also, it only requires a small shipyard (brigs require large shipyard). you can drop a small shipyard, build a schooner and be sailing in just a few hours hand harvesting only.

2. put all points into fortitude. the rest wont matter for just getting discovery points.

3. get grappling hooks and learn to pick up flotsam as  you go between islands. these drop plenty of food for you and a friend. no need for farming or cooking. flotsam also drop enough gold to sustain a couple npc crew if you dont want to manually use sails.

4. medicine is a pain in the butt and medkits have a spoil timer. you will learn quickly that death is faster and more efficient than trying to heal.

5. for discovery purposes tames are completely worthless. if you want to put a few points to get chickens and cows for fun that is cool but, the rest of the tree is completely worthless for sailing and discovery points. (stupid godang clowny balloon animals).

6. get a sextant asap. it is game changing.

7. have fun and pace yourself. there are LOTS of islands and some have multiple discovery points. for a new player grinding discovery points a few hours each day i would estimate 2-4 weeks to get them all.

again. these are my opinions for the purpose of grinding discovery points only.

cheers

• Like 2

You don't have to rush for DP. It takes time to reach lvl 51, what gives you more time to pretend for the worthy shit.

If you're not interested in the ownership of an island, then this could be your roadmap:

- Tame a Bear

- Build a Schooner. Fast as hell and supports a diving attatchment (gold income)

- later build some ballistas on the schooner. That allows you to kill whales and Hydras (25 DP for the first whale and another 30 DP for each powerstone)

This is the fastest way to incrase the DP and let you push your level up to 65...75.

Lvl 60 is a good state, where you can almost build and wear/use everything in the ground state. But you don't level so fast, if you don't do treasuremaps all the time. Because around lvl 30 it starts to take way longer to lvl up. I played three weeks again on the official servers and was lvl 43 or so with doing a lot of maps, who are the best way to gain xp. Better than killing alphas.

To hunt for the DP is never the first thing on the list. This is something you can do beside. 

And don't waste too much points in fortitude. 20 points is enough for the beginning.

• Like 2

Okay Realist I will chime in with my two cents....

Your Discovery point focus is misguided.  If this is indeed your goal then you will be a nomad and as a nomad Taming will be completely useless to you!  Taming is a very OP skill that's almost a must for anyone who is going to build a base, but with discovery being your primary focus then you won't be building a base.

Since you simply going to be sailing in between every island in the game and jumping off the ship to make landfall and then get right back on said ship then you are going to be passing thru hot and cold zones constantly.  So I recommend that you invest heavily into fortitude as it will make dealing with the various temperatures easier plus it will help with your constant food issues!

Before you start this epic exploration journey your first goal is to build yourself a Schooner not a sloop.  The extra Speed the Schooner has will make your goal more viable even if it means you will have to work a bit harder in the beginning to build it and to get the skills to build it....

Otherwise not much else to tell you, just keep your eyes peeled as running aground or colliding with a whale will be your worst enemies  (Running aground is far more common in cold areas where the Ice is not marked well if at all on the map! )

Also you may also want to invest in getting yourself some good fur armor in the beginning to help you navigate the arctic.  This isn't that hard to do once you figure out the best way to get sap's (Honey, Tree Bark, Sugarcane plants)  Sugarcane plants being the easiest depending on the starting zone you pick....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eeeceee said:

Tame times are good, I tame stuff just for fun quite often. The only animal that can be annoying to tame is the giraffe. They are ornery.

That's why it's just so annoying that the breeding is EXACTLY the fucking same, except they added further annoyance with the temp/biome requirements. The temp/biome requirements are good in theory, but just not when used with the copy paste from ark.

What about brontos? I remember taming a quetz for the 8 hours or whatever it was, in mid-air using a friend's quetz, and I fell asleep at the keyboard. I woke up the next day, my eyes start focusing on the scene displayed on my monitor, I think I can see my character (somehow alive) standing next to a dead quetz on the ground, then the vague memory of seeing the taming was 99% done, and relaxing because I thought yay I made it, shuffled around in my brain.

Brontosaurus especially back in the day and berry feeding was ridiculous lol looking back to 2016 and the original 1x on gathering my mind is still boggled I made it years playing that game 😂

and yes I have woken up to dead tames as well. Don’t even get me started on the 2 week giga breeding process lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

Okay Realist I will chime in with my two cents....

Your Discovery point focus is misguided.  If this is indeed your goal then you will be a nomad and as a nomad Taming will be completely useless to you!  Taming is a very OP skill that's almost a must for anyone who is going to build a base, but with discovery being your primary focus then you won't be building a base.

Since you simply going to be sailing in between every island in the game and jumping off the ship to make landfall and then get right back on said ship then you are going to be passing thru hot and cold zones constantly.  So I recommend that you invest heavily into fortitude as it will make dealing with the various temperatures easier plus it will help with your constant food issues!

Before you start this epic exploration journey your first goal is to build yourself a Schooner not a sloop.  The extra Speed the Schooner has will make your goal more viable even if it means you will have to work a bit harder in the beginning to build it and to get the skills to build it....

Otherwise not much else to tell you, just keep your eyes peeled as running aground or colliding with a whale will be your worst enemies  (Running aground is far more common in cold areas where the Ice is not marked well if at all on the map! )

Also you may also want to invest in getting yourself some good fur armor in the beginning to help you navigate the arctic.  This isn't that hard to do once you figure out the best way to get sap's (Honey, Tree Bark, Sugarcane plants)  Sugarcane plants being the easiest depending on the starting zone you pick....

Cool thanks for the info. Yeah I know DP farming isn’t the “best” way but it is also exploration. I will have plenty of time to get a base and tames.

i want to see this big open world, wind in my digital hair lol. But no, I just think I want to explore first.

plus you don’t get to see her eating everyday you know 😉

Exploration is good, but as Forb Hidden mentioned, you don't really need to rush for disco pts. At the start, you'll have plenty of disco pts. So, multi-tasking at times is good too.

I searched yet cannot find posts (might be on reddit) by some person who went around 24/7 getting the discovery points. Someone please link it for me 😕

Edited by eeeceee

Great to see that you are starting the game - I hope you'll have fun! 🙂  @Realist  I am a PVE player who has played from the very start, so I'll try to give a bit of advice for a start-up nomad pirate, like you said you wanna be. Sorry if my reply gets lengthy, I've been out at sea a long time in single player now, so I am a bit weary of sailing at the moment, heh.  😛 

Ship: You might have to start out with a ramshackle sloop which you buy from freeport, with materials you gather there. But then it's on to the nearest lawless island to build a real ship. From what you're describing, I'd go for a schooner with 1 large and 1 small speed sail. I know some people say that brig and galleon might be "faster" in testing or whatever. But, somehow, I've tried all 3 of them, and I've found the schooner to be the fastest "explorer". It is also very easy to turn around, and easier to park near islands with shallow shores/reefs, I've found. This is only anecdotal evidence but it is my feeling, after sailing quite a lot. Absolutely spend the extra time for a schooner, rather than a sloop. A sloop is crazy slow. 😄

Please note that I make an exception for the polar regions, ( 1 and 15 grids). I prefer not to go with schooner there, cause there are aggressive whales there and also hidden ice bergs, and somehow it just feels safer with a brig, sailing around there. You might wanna hold off on polar regions anyway, since they are very harsh for beginner players. I'd recommend a bit more fortitude and/or at least green quality fur clothes, for any extended stays in polar regions. Also, there are yetis on those islands, and they are quite hard to kill when you're low level w/o a good tamed bear. 

I'd really recommend you to pick up a couple crew from a free port, as soon as you can get some gold (you can fish up gold from flotsam, using a grappling hook). 

Ship "necessities" etc: The no. 1 things are: 1. A bed. 2. A smithy. 3. A box to keep the most necessary stuff in. 4. A water barre. In my humble opinion. Other good things to have on a ship (especially if you're gonna use it a lot on the sea), is: 

A few spare planks/gun ports, (if one breaks), repair hammer, bucket, Large storage boxes, Cooking pot (later: grill), Preserving bags (and preserving salt. Or ice box, but this one will be harder since it doesnt produce ice in hotter regions). Loom, Tannery, mortar and pestle, Grappling Hooks (several), Climbing picks, Book shelves (for maps/blueprints etc).Mess table/larder for crew. Feeding trough for animals. Ship resource chest for repairs (so you dont have to carry repair mats on you) and gold for crew.  This little list will also give you a clue on how to spec.  🙂 

Preserving bags (with the pres.salt / or ice), really makes a huge difference, it gets a lot easier once you have that and don't have to worry about the fast spoiling of all the food you gather. Very useful talent/talents! 

A general tip for an explorer ship is to spec its levelling points a lot into resistance, and also into weight. (You probably won't want any cannons/damage stats, since cannons weigh you down a lot). As soon as you start going over around half the ship's max weight, you start losing speed, So keep an eye on the ship's weight, a lot. Resistance is really good for if you suddenly get caught near Ships of the damned, so they don't damage you too much. Don't panic but just look where the wind is heading, turn the ship to there, and escape with the wind. Nothing sucks as much as losing the first schooner you worked really hard for.  😉

Food: Since you won't be doing any crops/farm right now, I'd highly recommend to spec into the diving attachment ASAP. Apart from quite nice gold, you get lots of food from the ship wrecks (salted meat/fish, berries, and longer lasting vegetables) from looting ship wrecks with the diving attachment, which will be helpful for both you and your hired crew members. Also, even if you don't wanna spec far down the beast mastery tree, I'd highly recommend specing into tier 2 taming. Just so you can have a cow on the ship. It really helps a LOT with the blue vitamin, so you don't have to worry about getting fish all the time. Also, it helps a lot if you really need more blue vitamin, but you're full at the moment, then you can often drink a milk or two. This really helps quite a lot with vitamin management! And cow is an easy animal to tame (just feed it rushes thatch, or in lack thereof, berries/veggies). I wish I'd known about this from the beginning, how much it helped with the cow.  🙂   Other than this, just gather a little of what you find on islands, berries, veggies, meat etc. Overeating and vitamin skills do help a lot, but they are also valuable points to "waste" in beginning, so this is your own call...  

Taming: If you don't wanna spend the energy on taming a bear right now, that is understandable, it takes a bit of practice/time, usually. A "poor man's bear" 😂 , is instead a fast taming of a little "army" of pigs. ( 3 or 4 pigs of a higher level, at least 15 or up. spec them into health/stamina primarily). Very easy to tame with just feeding them berries. (Maize even easier, but that is not readily available). With a little pig army you can more easily defend yourself on very low levels in the beginning, and you can also likely do some of the very easiest treasure maps, if you wish. 

Useful talents/ talent trees to look at for spending a lot of time at sea: Fortitude and health, is what I'd go for first. Captaineering and Piracy. Both of these have RLY nice talents for a nomad pirate!!  As an example, who doesn't want cheaper crew payments, etc. Check it all out and decide what's best for you.    I didn't mention Seamanship, but that one is a bit obvious, heh. For other talents, I've mostly talked about them above, as a side note. I'd worry a lot about fast getting to smithy - shovel - grappling hook - climbing pick - preserving bags and salt - taming tier 2. 

Tips for a "new" pirate: In most of the desert grids, there are usually no rain storms / cyclones. It might be advisable to actually start sailing here. Sure, you might die a bit from heat,  or mobs, before you get more fortitude/health, but, you dying is nothing compared to the agony of losing the schooner you took time to build, (maybe even paint!), to the cyclone storms...  H13 is a nice freeport and from there you can go right or left to desert grids.  ( The grid to the right,  I13, has a lot of salt, which is nice for preserving salt!). 

You might wanna check in general which islands have lions/tigers, as these are very, very annoying for a new player. (At least when going solo). You might wanna stay clear of those islands, or just jump ashore and then back on ship. Resources and beasts on islands, can be checked out at exploreatlas website. It's a little bit off now after new update in game, but largely still quite relevant, I'd say. 

Don't forget to put rope ladders around the ship as soon as you released it - for schooner I usually put them on 3 or 4 places around the ship, so that it's easy to get up from all sides etc. Sharks are a very real (annoying) thing, and you might need to get up, fast. 

Don't forget to really check the depth when you place your shipyard - if it is too shallow, your ship will blow up when you release it after building it. 😥 Make sure there are no huge rocks inside shipyard. You will have to swim down under surface level and check the bottom before you place the shipyard. Also, you can look on map, to see the water color where you wanna place the shipyard. If the map shows it as a very light blue color, it's probably too shallow. If insecure, try to swim out a few meters more to place it. It's better to have to build a small walkway out to the shipyard, than have to gather all the materials for a new ship! 😂

That's all for now - and I guess that's plenty!  Lol. Feel free to ask any questions you could think of. I've made ALL the mistakes from the beginning, hehehe. Have fun! Smooth sailing. 

On 9/26/2019 at 7:13 PM, Realist said:

Now is time for research. I know how exp and discovery points work, but now is there any specific areas that have a lot of discovery points or is it as simple as going to every island?

not worried about getting the exp yet. Just going to have fun exploring and getting all of the discovery points before I even bother building or worrying about end game. I will never hit a level cap.

i would also like some info on the simplest form of foods to have on board so I don’t have to worry about the vitamin mechanic. I am already planning on putting every level I get into fortitude to start out with. 

I am planning on spending my first week not having fun but grinding discovery points so I just need info for food, vitamins, locations and general info.

i would also like to know if the ship of choice should be the sloop or the brig for what I am doing. I am looking for nothing but speed. No defenses and no weight needed. Only the fastest and most efficient ship with common sails(not bothering with quality yet).

sure if I see an alpha along the way I’ll kill it but other than building a quick 2x2 every once in awhile and gathering essential resources I will pretty much be a fast moving nomad.

how important will it be to have climbing picks for discovery points and will that he the norm as to finding discovery points?

there is probably going to be two of us and I will go into survivalism so I can get medicine and lowered vitamin deficiency(because I hate that mechanic) and he will he going into captaineering because I don’t want to have to worry that much about ship decay. Eventually I will go into beast mastery but not too worried about that for right now.

so yeah. If there is some advanced information you can give that would be appreciated.

Edit: expecting good advice from @boomervoncannon and @Sulfurblade

dont even bother realist (unless you enjoy it ofc) i spent about 500 hrs of sailing and discovering and unlike some people i didnt use the bed teleport with continuous company swaping to get all my discoveries i sailed there myself, i remember i got about 190 discovery points and had every single one of those islands reosurces maped in a huge excell, and you know the what the funny part was? the day i discovered that doing the kraken gave players 200 discovery points (wich can be done in less than 2 hrs) that day, i simply quit.

so as i mentioned before unless you enjoy exploration dont bother with it, use the company swaping technique + the groupal content like kraken and so and you are set.

btw didnt they say they were removing the vitamin system?

from those times i remember i would "eat" crog wich would totally satiate my hunger fully so i only had to worry about water wich i had 3 barrels on the deck wich would refill if i ever ran into a rainy weather.

for ship well it depends, i used my brigg simply because i wanted to kill all SotD i came acoss, but a sloop is probably your best choice (with medium sails as far as i remember) not sure now that there are SotD galleons but unless you eat a full barrage you should be fine.

climbing picks are a must. there are several discovery points in the very peak of the high places, bring at least 3 with you their durability decreases a lot with each use

if i was you i would take a bear with me, you can jump from very high places and it takes the damage (wich you can heal with a skill) you wont die from random wild creatures encounters (wich will save you a lot of pain and heaches) and you will move around the islands faster.

Edited by The D Legacy

11 hours ago, NoobieDooz said:

Great to see that you are starting the game - I hope you'll have fun! 🙂  @Realist  I am a PVE player who has played from the very start, so I'll try to give a bit of advice for a start-up nomad pirate, like you said you wanna be. Sorry if my reply gets lengthy, I've been out at sea a long time in single player now, so I am a bit weary of sailing at the moment, heh.  😛 

Ship: You might have to start out with a ramshackle sloop which you buy from freeport, with materials you gather there. But then it's on to the nearest lawless island to build a real ship. From what you're describing, I'd go for a schooner with 1 large and 1 small speed sail. I know some people say that brig and galleon might be "faster" in testing or whatever. But, somehow, I've tried all 3 of them, and I've found the schooner to be the fastest "explorer". It is also very easy to turn around, and easier to park near islands with shallow shores/reefs, I've found. This is only anecdotal evidence but it is my feeling, after sailing quite a lot. Absolutely spend the extra time for a schooner, rather than a sloop. A sloop is crazy slow. 😄

Please note that I make an exception for the polar regions, ( 1 and 15 grids). I prefer not to go with schooner there, cause there are aggressive whales there and also hidden ice bergs, and somehow it just feels safer with a brig, sailing around there. You might wanna hold off on polar regions anyway, since they are very harsh for beginner players. I'd recommend a bit more fortitude and/or at least green quality fur clothes, for any extended stays in polar regions. Also, there are yetis on those islands, and they are quite hard to kill when you're low level w/o a good tamed bear. 

I'd really recommend you to pick up a couple crew from a free port, as soon as you can get some gold (you can fish up gold from flotsam, using a grappling hook). 

Ship "necessities" etc: The no. 1 things are: 1. A bed. 2. A smithy. 3. A box to keep the most necessary stuff in. 4. A water barre. In my humble opinion. Other good things to have on a ship (especially if you're gonna use it a lot on the sea), is: 

A few spare planks/gun ports, (if one breaks), repair hammer, bucket, Large storage boxes, Cooking pot (later: grill), Preserving bags (and preserving salt. Or ice box, but this one will be harder since it doesnt produce ice in hotter regions). Loom, Tannery, mortar and pestle, Grappling Hooks (several), Climbing picks, Book shelves (for maps/blueprints etc).Mess table/larder for crew. Feeding trough for animals. Ship resource chest for repairs (so you dont have to carry repair mats on you) and gold for crew.  This little list will also give you a clue on how to spec.  🙂 

Preserving bags (with the pres.salt / or ice), really makes a huge difference, it gets a lot easier once you have that and don't have to worry about the fast spoiling of all the food you gather. Very useful talent/talents! 

A general tip for an explorer ship is to spec its levelling points a lot into resistance, and also into weight. (You probably won't want any cannons/damage stats, since cannons weigh you down a lot). As soon as you start going over around half the ship's max weight, you start losing speed, So keep an eye on the ship's weight, a lot. Resistance is really good for if you suddenly get caught near Ships of the damned, so they don't damage you too much. Don't panic but just look where the wind is heading, turn the ship to there, and escape with the wind. Nothing sucks as much as losing the first schooner you worked really hard for.  😉

Food: Since you won't be doing any crops/farm right now, I'd highly recommend to spec into the diving attachment ASAP. Apart from quite nice gold, you get lots of food from the ship wrecks (salted meat/fish, berries, and longer lasting vegetables) from looting ship wrecks with the diving attachment, which will be helpful for both you and your hired crew members. Also, even if you don't wanna spec far down the beast mastery tree, I'd highly recommend specing into tier 2 taming. Just so you can have a cow on the ship. It really helps a LOT with the blue vitamin, so you don't have to worry about getting fish all the time. Also, it helps a lot if you really need more blue vitamin, but you're full at the moment, then you can often drink a milk or two. This really helps quite a lot with vitamin management! And cow is an easy animal to tame (just feed it rushes thatch, or in lack thereof, berries/veggies). I wish I'd known about this from the beginning, how much it helped with the cow.  🙂   Other than this, just gather a little of what you find on islands, berries, veggies, meat etc. Overeating and vitamin skills do help a lot, but they are also valuable points to "waste" in beginning, so this is your own call...  

Taming: If you don't wanna spend the energy on taming a bear right now, that is understandable, it takes a bit of practice/time, usually. A "poor man's bear" 😂 , is instead a fast taming of a little "army" of pigs. ( 3 or 4 pigs of a higher level, at least 15 or up. spec them into health/stamina primarily). Very easy to tame with just feeding them berries. (Maize even easier, but that is not readily available). With a little pig army you can more easily defend yourself on very low levels in the beginning, and you can also likely do some of the very easiest treasure maps, if you wish. 

Useful talents/ talent trees to look at for spending a lot of time at sea: Fortitude and health, is what I'd go for first. Captaineering and Piracy. Both of these have RLY nice talents for a nomad pirate!!  As an example, who doesn't want cheaper crew payments, etc. Check it all out and decide what's best for you.    I didn't mention Seamanship, but that one is a bit obvious, heh. For other talents, I've mostly talked about them above, as a side note. I'd worry a lot about fast getting to smithy - shovel - grappling hook - climbing pick - preserving bags and salt - taming tier 2. 

Tips for a "new" pirate: In most of the desert grids, there are usually no rain storms / cyclones. It might be advisable to actually start sailing here. Sure, you might die a bit from heat,  or mobs, before you get more fortitude/health, but, you dying is nothing compared to the agony of losing the schooner you took time to build, (maybe even paint!), to the cyclone storms...  H13 is a nice freeport and from there you can go right or left to desert grids.  ( The grid to the right,  I13, has a lot of salt, which is nice for preserving salt!). 

You might wanna check in general which islands have lions/tigers, as these are very, very annoying for a new player. (At least when going solo). You might wanna stay clear of those islands, or just jump ashore and then back on ship. Resources and beasts on islands, can be checked out at exploreatlas website. It's a little bit off now after new update in game, but largely still quite relevant, I'd say. 

Don't forget to put rope ladders around the ship as soon as you released it - for schooner I usually put them on 3 or 4 places around the ship, so that it's easy to get up from all sides etc. Sharks are a very real (annoying) thing, and you might need to get up, fast. 

Don't forget to really check the depth when you place your shipyard - if it is too shallow, your ship will blow up when you release it after building it. 😥 Make sure there are no huge rocks inside shipyard. You will have to swim down under surface level and check the bottom before you place the shipyard. Also, you can look on map, to see the water color where you wanna place the shipyard. If the map shows it as a very light blue color, it's probably too shallow. If insecure, try to swim out a few meters more to place it. It's better to have to build a small walkway out to the shipyard, than have to gather all the materials for a new ship! 😂

That's all for now - and I guess that's plenty!  Lol. Feel free to ask any questions you could think of. I've made ALL the mistakes from the beginning, hehehe. Have fun! Smooth sailing. 

Wow, that was lengthy lol but I do appreciate all of the info. This will definitely help. Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

dont even bother realist (unless you enjoy it ofc) i spent about 500 hrs of sailing and discovering and unlike some people i didnt use the bed teleport with continuous company swaping to get all my discoveries i sailed there myself, i remember i got about 190 discovery points and had every single one of those islands reosurces maped in a huge excell, and you know the what the funny part was? the day i discovered that doing the kraken gave players 200 discovery points (wich can be done in less than 2 hrs) that day, i simply quit.

so as i mentioned before unless you enjoy exploration dont bother with it, use the company swaping technique + the groupal content like kraken and so and you are set.

btw didnt they say they were removing the vitamin system?

from those times i remember i would "eat" crog wich would totally satiate my hunger fully so i only had to worry about water wich i had 3 barrels on the deck wich would refill if i ever ran into a rainy weather.

for ship well it depends, i used my brigg simply because i wanted to kill all SotD i came acoss, but a sloop is probably your best choice (with medium sails as far as i remember) not sure now that there are SotD galleons but unless you eat a full barrage you should be fine.

climbing picks are a must. there are several discovery points in the very peak of the high places, bring at least 3 with you their durability decreases a lot with each use

if i was you i would take a bear with me, you can jump from very high places and it takes the damage (wich you can heal with a skill) you wont die from random wild creatures encounters (wich will save you a lot of pain and heaches) and you will move around the islands faster.

Hey sup D? Yeah I chose this route as a way to make more longevity of fun for me. Mind you I am a mindless grinder so beating on rocks for hours is something I consider to be fun especially when I am talking to my buddies. 

So the reason I am choosing to do it this way it by the time I get all discovery points a decent amount of time would have already passed and then “hey, I haven’t even experienced anything else in the game yet really”. That is when I can finally start getting a huge base going and REALLY get into taming(remember, I am one of the guys on here that actually loves tames). I even play beast master for my character on borderlands 3 and always have a greater saber cruising with me on Conan.

by the time the base is done and the tames are tames and bred, then it will be time for preparing for end game stud and then completing all of that. Once I get the submarine I plan on doing a lot of underwater exploring throughout the world as well.

who knows I might be wrong but I think by doing things this way it will make it to where it not only takes a good while before I complete everything but also a good long while before I get board.

i definitely don’t want to short cut because I have learned from you guys that the game can get boring if you do take shortcuts and rush the lack of content there is.

but thank you for the input. All info is helpful.

quick question, since you said at least 3 climbing picks, what would you guess be on how many mountains/length or height can you climb before a full durability climbing pick breaks?

EDIT: lmao almost forgot, I was also a hunter on wow so my tames have been with me long before ark 😂

Edited by Realist

Basic pick will get you to the top of nearly enything I think, but repeated climbs and forgeting to repair is the reason I carry at least 2.

I agree with Jack Shandy, always go with at least 2 picks (for 1 mountain). It'a usually enough. If you are really nervous, have really low stamina (low level character), or if you are going to fall down and climb up repeatedly on same mountain, you can be extra safe and carry 3 - 4 picks. 🙂 

I really liked your thread by the way, It was really a lot of fun for me, with such a thread. It makes me think back to how much grinding it was in beginning, heh. As some of the others might have said in the thread, you can also take a break from discovering and do something else. Even if it's just building a small base somewhere where you found a resource rich island. Or taming a bear to make life easier. Or paint your whole ship and color your clothes, the clothes of your crew members. Or your own hair. 😂  

The reason I say this is, there will be times when you might need stuff like this. Sometimes the wind goes dead, for a while. Then it is nice to anchor at nearest island, have that small base to teleport back to, to maybe grind a bit for wood, thatch etc. (Maybe for a brig). Sometimes even though you do all you can, the ship might actually sink due to unforeseen events. Then it is very, very nice to have that small base to start back from. Where you have gathered a lot of materials already, (in those "dead wind breaks"), to quickly build a new ship. Just a thought. 🙂   Be well. 

PS I was a hunter in WoW too!  Lol 

Edited by NoobieDooz