Sign in to follow this  
ShadowKaedes

Xbox crossplay

Hey guys I'm a console player and haven't been able to find a specific answer to my question of cross play. 

Judging by the way cross play is advertised I'm going to assume there won't be dedicated official xbox only servers like ark? 

I mean look at SoT at the end of the day console players will always be dominated by pc players they also can change settings unlike console players that can give unfair advantages.

I love to play official and I'm hoping I could dedicate myself to this game but I just feel being forced into crossplay has already ruined the game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShadowKaedes said:

Hey guys I'm a console player and haven't been able to find a specific answer to my question of cross play. 

Judging by the way cross play is advertised I'm going to assume there won't be dedicated official xbox only servers like ark? 

I mean look at SoT at the end of the day console players will always be dominated by pc players they also can change settings unlike console players that can give unfair advantages.

I love to play official and I'm hoping I could dedicate myself to this game but I just feel being forced into crossplay has already ruined the game.

We will have to see what happens. To be honest I knew crossplay was a bad idea but the numbers were so low on pc they had to do it. Hopefully they didn’t shoot them selves in the foot, which is a good possibility.

at this point I think of it doesn’t fail we will be able to put some blame on the pc players this time instead of the whole load being on the devs. Prepare for a cold welcome. 

I will be joining atlas as well. Unfortunately my work and life schedule will not allow me to play on official so I will be going to unofficial servers.

1 hour ago, ShadowKaedes said:

Hello and welcome to the Atlas forums. With the nature of Atlas’s game world where each is a grid of a couple hundred interconnected servers, it would be impractical to have separate dedicated servers for different platforms if crossplay is workable. Currently there are only 4 official servers, one each for NA end EU regions pvp and pve game modes. That adds up to over 800 servers but only 4 official game worlds.

You will have to decide for yourself if the differences represent an advantage you can’t live with or overcome, but it may be worth noting that the current extremely small pc playerbase means it’s likely a minority of players you encounter will be pc players. I would also add that Realist has been active on these forums since the pc launch, so he is likely to be one of your best go to sources for perspective as a console player coming into the game.

Thanks for the information its appriciated, I look forward to atlas on xbox and will try to keep an open mind perhaps this game can change my prospective of crossplay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

I would also add that Realist has been active on these forums since the pc launch, so he is likely to be one of your best go to sources for perspective as a console player coming into the game.

Undoubtedly the best source for perspective, been on the forums since launch, hated the game apparently, but then when the game started to fail, he went around saying crossplay is not only a good idea but will save the game, that PC players should get wiped so that they suffer (just a little bit) and now he's saying that he's not even playing on the servers getting wiped, or on servers that have been confirmed to have crossplay. In this thread, now says crossplay is a bad idea. Best go to source for perspective, many people go to learn from him. I can't wait to for him to let us all know why crossplay is a bad idea, now that he has let us know that it is a bad idea.

2 hours ago, Realist said:

at this point I think of it doesn’t fail we will be able to put some blame on the pc players this time instead of the whole load being on the devs

Huh? If atlas doesn't fail, you're able to blame pc players?

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

Undoubtedly the best source for perspective, been on the forums since launch, hated the game apparently, but then when the game started to fail, he went around saying crossplay is not only a good idea but will save the game, that PC players should get wiped so that they suffer (just a little bit) and now he's saying that he's not even playing on the servers getting wiped, or on servers that have been confirmed to have crossplay. In this thread, now says crossplay is a bad idea. Really good source for perspective, many people could learn from him. I can't wait to for him to let us all know why crossplay is a bad idea, now that he has let us know that it is a bad idea.

That was an auto correct evidently. I meant if it does fail. To be honest, how the pc players act and how they use the advantages will depend on how many Xbox players stay. I don’t have a horse in this race anymore, but seeing how some of them are acting sure, I would put some of the blame on them if it were to fail.

If it does fail, you can blame pc players?

Haha.

Pc game gets developed, pc game halts development to get copied across to xbox, game still doesn't "succeed" and you want to play the blame game?

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Realist said:

That was an auto correct evidently. I meant if it does fail. To be honest, how the pc players act and how they use the advantages will depend on how many Xbox players stay. I don’t have a horse in this race anymore, but seeing how some of them are acting sure, I would put some of the blame on them if it were to fail.

If the game fails, the blame lies with the developers. All meaningful decisions are ultimately theirs. Players can offer feedback,  but they cannot implement anything. Even player toxicity, something often cited as a reason for quitting, is in this day and age something devs must anticipate and plan to limit both through design and enforcement. Blaming players is akin to blaming someone else eating in the restaurant if the food is bad.

1 hour ago, eeeceee said:

Undoubtedly the best source for perspective, been on the forums since launch, hated the game apparently, but then when the game started to fail, he went around saying crossplay is not only a good idea but will save the game, that PC players should get wiped so that they suffer (just a little bit) and now he's saying that he's not even playing on the servers getting wiped, or on servers that have been confirmed to have crossplay. In this thread, now says crossplay is a bad idea. Best go to source for perspective, many people go to learn from him. I can't wait to for him to let us all know why crossplay is a bad idea, now that he has let us know that it is a bad idea.

Let me expand on that, because his positions have certainly changed on a number of things without doubt. What I meant is that Realist will have the best understanding of where the game has been, where it is currently, and why some things may be different from what Xbox players are used to, that they can turn to as one of their own.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Let me expand on that, because his positions have certainly changed on a number of things without doubt. What I meant is that Realist will have the best understanding of where the game has been, where it is currently, and why some things may be different from what Xbox players are used to, that they can turn to as one of their own.

I'm not sure that can be correct.

The opposite might actually be more true.

edit: one of my first posts on this forum, I asked "do xbox players want to play with pc players? do you want your own server?". Because I asked that question to the wrong person, and the reply was crap, I stopped thinking further.

Edited by eeeceee

1 hour ago, Dark Man XXXXX said:

I'm an Xbox player that's a little concerned about PC advantages with cross play... But I'm also excited to give this game a try

id say console players will outnumber pc players in the begining, if the price is close to what it is on steam, i would definetily give it a try.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark Man XXXXX said:

I'm an Xbox player that's a little concerned about PC advantages with cross play... But I'm also excited to give this game a try

No one knows for sure, but given the paucity of current pc player activity, I'd say it's not a stretch to predict that if you join in the early going, perhaps one in ten players you encounter will be pc players, possibly fewer.

PC  players get a 10-day start, which in reality, they got to play the game for months and play it 10 days early. Once you get into a PVP server, you will be wiped, so think about that. You can refund this game within 24 hours of purchase. 

8 minutes ago, Havox said:

PC  players get a 10-day start, which in reality, they got to play the game for months and play it 10 days early. Once you get into a PVP server, you will be wiped, so think about that. You can refund this game within 24 hours of purchase. 

mmmhrm, so in that line of thinking, you would of course recommend that even if the game were awesome and you loved it, that once it was say 10 days old, no one should ever buy it because they'd be at such a horribly unfair advantage in pvp that it would be better to refund than put in the effort needed to overcome a challenge, right?

Because that's fundamentally the same situation you're describing.

In actuality it seems likely that xbox players will greatly outnumber pc players in the early going, so that will be an excellent chance to get in and get yourself established to negate any headstart while the pc player ratio is likely very much minimal compared to xbox players. Each PVP server has in the last month seen consistent activity of less than 500, sometimes half that. You're extremely unlikely to be overrun by hordes of OP pc players.

Edited by boomervoncannon