Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Want to attract a lot of players back?

OK, so I have talked with many players, and those who don't want to play, speak about two things keeping them from coming back.

#1.  9 hour raid windows, EVERY FREAKIN DAY.  That's more than a work shift, where they have to be on, every single day, to protect their work.
#2.  Imbalance in Company sizes, and some groups still acting as Megas, with their alliances.  I know that isn't as much an issue right now, but there is likely to still be imbalances.  And WOULD be a problem if many people came back to play.  If they don't come back, then what's the point?  So if you are a small company, you are just meat to the slaughter, if a large group come after you.

What would fix this?  Well, I have been playing some Conan.  While I like the idea of Atlas more, Conan had some things I really liked.  One that would work really well for Atlas, and would likely become the most popular game mode, is PvE-C.  The C stands Conflict.   Like PvE, the structures can't be damaged.  However, just like PvP, you and your tames CAN be killed...during the conflict time.  Much like Atlas, there is a window where conflict is allowed, but this game mode only allows it for things other than structures.

I think that is what many people wanted.  They want to fight with their ships.  They don't want to fight against people, over their bases.  That (current PvP rules) requires you to be on every night, during the raid times.  PvE-C, you would not need to be on every night.

Another thing they do, which is also cool, is the Purge.  This would give you a reason to still throw up some defenses for your base.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow
  • Like 4

main point he got right there is that pvp must be fun for all. So it is always good to set a frame and leave every player the decision when to go pvp and when not. Look how Guild wars 2 or Swotor does it. Plenty of good solutions.

For Atlas i would suggest to have one big pve world. Craft, level and trade. If you feel for PvP then you port to pvp server with your ship and whats on it. in Pvp you then can conquer ports, forts and islands. maybe with three factiond you can join in PvP 

13 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

OK, so I have talked with many players, and those who don't want to play, speak about two things keeping them from coming back.

#1.  9 hour raid windows, EVERY FREAKIN DAY.  That's more than a work shift, where they have to be on, every single day, to protect their work.
#2.  Imbalance in Company sizes, and some groups still acting as Megas, with their alliances.  I know that isn't as much an issue now, but there is likely to still be imbalanced.  And WOULD be a problem if many people came back to play.  If they don't, then what's the point.  So if you are a small company, you are just meat to the slaughter if a large group come after you.

What would fix this?  Well, I have been playing some Conan.  While I like the idea of Atlas more, Conan had some things I really liked.  One that would work really well for Atlas, and would likely become the most popular game mode, is PvE-C.  The C stands Conflict.   Like PvE, the structures can't be damaged.  However, just like PvP, you and your tames CAN be killed...during the conflict time.  Much like Atlas, there is a window where conflict is allowed, but this game mode only allows it for things other than structures.

I think that is what many people wanted.  They want to fight with their ships.  They don't want to fight against people, over their bases.  That makes you have to be on every night, during the raid times.  PvE-C, you would not need to be on every night.

Another thing they do, which is also cool, is the Purge.  This would dive you a reason to still throw up some defenses for your base.

I think PVE-C sounds like it might be ideally suited for Atlas.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, boomervoncannon said:

I think PVE-C sounds like it might be ideally suited for Atlas.

Need more proof?  This is a poll from the #2 ranked Atlas server.  Half the people want PvE-C, which they call SvS (Ship vs Ship)  In short, your base is safe, but your ships, when not green anchored, are not.

2.JPG

On 9/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, Nutcutt3r said:

You should leave the critical thinking to others.  You aren't very good at it.

While you aren't very good at critical thinking, you are good at parroting.  Using my lines?  Really?  LOL  Polly want a cracker?

On 9/26/2019 at 2:21 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

#2.  Imbalance in Company sizes, and some groups still acting as Megas, with their alliances.  I know that isn't as much an issue right now, but there is likely to still be imbalances.  And WOULD be a problem if many people came back to play.  If they don't come back, then what's the point?  So if you are a small company, you are just meat to the slaughter, if a large group come after you.

I think that is what many people wanted.  They want to fight with their ships.  They don't want to fight against people, over their bases.  That (current PvP rules) requires you to be on every night, during the raid times.  PvE-C, you would not need to be on every night.

Another thing they do, which is also cool, is the Purge.  This would give you a reason to still throw up some defenses for your base.

I've been talking about Conan Conflict servers a bit, here. 

I, too, think it would be very very popular.  

The downside from a PvP view is, you can't raid a base. Of course, I think, that same mechanic would bring more into PvP.

That being said, Conan runs all 3 types of servers to cater to all.

Personally I feel the game doesn’t cater to small groups are solos in any way. The game also puts so much emphasis on building and defending a base and taming even though this is a pirate game. I think they should allow players to be able to protect their ship without having to own a piece of land. The way they can do this is by allowing players to store their ship at a Freeport at the expense of gold. Then the players base is their ship as it should be.

They could even add rewards for capturing an enemy ship and then the player could either keep it our sail it to a merchant to sell for gold. This would promote more sea pvp and more ship capturing, you know the thing that a pirate game should be about. 

2 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Need more proof?  This is a poll from the #2 ranked Atlas server.  Half the people want PvE-C, which they call SvS (Ship vs Ship)  In short, your base is safe, but your ships, when not green anchored, are not.

2.JPG

While you aren't very good at critical thinking, you are good at parroting.  Using my lines?  Really?  LOL  Polly want a cracker?

Just thinking turnabout was fair play.  I dint think you would mind since they were your words.

1 hour ago, Baps said:

Personally I feel the game doesn’t cater to small groups are solos in any way. The game also puts so much emphasis on building and defending a base and taming even though this is a pirate game. I think they should allow players to be able to protect their ship without having to own a piece of land. The way they can do this is by allowing players to store their ship at a Freeport at the expense of gold. Then the players base is their ship as it should be.

They could even add rewards for capturing an enemy ship and then the player could either keep it our sail it to a merchant to sell for gold. This would promote more sea pvp and more ship capturing, you know the thing that a pirate game should be about. 

I think just doing a SvS type server, would be the way to go.  Making Freeports a safe port for people would not work and here is why.  It would become very crowded there, really fast. Second, if that is the only change, it would break the game.  Some people would make fleets, and then raid people who did make a base.  That is simply not fair.

The same result you are looking for could be accomplished with a PvE-C, or SvS type server, where the major change is that you can't destroy people's bases.  But if they do this, I also think they would want to add a major change to building, in that you should need to build in a small area, and only in that small area.  That fits with the pirate theme.  We shouldn't be building monstrous bases.

49 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I think just doing a SvS type server, would be the way to go.  Making Freeports a safe port for people would not work and here is why.  It would become very crowded there, really fast. Second, if that is the only change, it would break the game.  Some people would make fleets, and then raid people who did make a base.  That is simply not fair.

The same result you are looking for could be accomplished with a PvE-C, or SvS type server, where the major change is that you can't destroy people's bases.  But if they do this, I also think they would want to add a major change to building, in that you should need to build in a small area, and only in that small area.  That fits with the pirate theme.  We shouldn't be building monstrous bases.

Well I mean there are a lot of Freeport’s and it could work as a garage sort of thing where the ship disappears until you pull it out. Start it at one ship per company. And unlocking more garage space with gold with a higher upkeep cost. Of course clans can protect their fleets if they can afford the cost but that is okay. The main group to benefit from it will still be the small companies and solo players. This game is like ark with the ark crowd. People want to still be able to conquer islands and destroy bases. That shouldn’t change. 9 hours is a good amount of raid time that an average company can defend during that time. 

If you can’t destroy structures then you run the problem of companies doing land and island spam. 

33 minutes ago, Baps said:

Well I mean there are a lot of Freeport’s and it could work as a garage sort of thing where the ship disappears until you pull it out. Start it at one ship per company. And unlocking more garage space with gold with a higher upkeep cost. Of course clans can protect their fleets if they can afford the cost but that is okay. The main group to benefit from it will still be the small companies and solo players. This game is like ark with the ark crowd. People want to still be able to conquer islands and destroy bases. That shouldn’t change. 9 hours is a good amount of raid time that an average company can defend during that time. 

If you can’t destroy structures then you run the problem of companies doing land and island spam. 

Spam can be a problem in the Conan Conflict servers, just as in PVE.  However, in the Conan Pve-C servers, you can drag world bosses into their bases.  If they have archers and defenders, the boss can do damage to the base, at least, last time I played there. 

If you want to do all as you describe in your first paragraph, isn't that kind of what exists now?  Can you not park your ships at different islands while they are in protection and they cannot be touched?  Obviously, I play PVE here so, I really am asking earnestly.

12 minutes ago, 8ball said:

Spam can be a problem in the Conan Conflict servers, just as in PVE.  However, in the Conan Pve-C servers, you can drag world bosses into their bases.  If they have archers and defenders, the boss can do damage to the base, at least, last time I played there. 

If you want to do all as you describe in your first paragraph, isn't that kind of what exists now?  Can you not park your ships at different islands while they are in protection and they cannot be touched?  Obviously, I play PVE here so, I really am asking earnestly.

Well there aren’t world bosses to drag around to destroy stuff. Even if so it is a terrible solution. Right now the problem for solos and small groups is land. Even if you park your ship at a lawless island and anchor it can still be destroyed. Invulnerable anchoring isn’t a solution either. You can’t  park it out a Freeport because it decays very quickly and sinks. Garaging a ship with gold would make getting gold even more important while also letting a person who spent 100 hours on their ship protect it while they sleep. After all the raid hours only work if you own an island. That is what drove off players to begin with. If you weren’t in a large tribe you were fucked 

Edited by Baps

10 minutes ago, Baps said:

Well there aren’t world bosses to drag around to destroy stuff. Even if so it is a terrible solution. Right now the problem for solos and small groups is land. Even if you park your ship at a lawless island and anchor it can still be destroyed. Invulnerable anchoring isn’t a solution either. You can’t  park it out a Freeport because it decays very quickly and sinks. Garaging a ship with gold would make getting gold even more important while also letting a person who spent 100 hours on their ship protect it while they sleep. After all the raid hours only work if you own an island. That is what drove off players to begin with. If you weren’t in a large tribe you were fucked 

I was talking about parking at a claimed island that is currently under protection.  Of course at a Lawless island you could be attacked, makes perfect sense.  Freeports would be just abused by griefers attacking and running for protection.   They would have to come up with a solution for that.

2 minutes ago, 8ball said:

I was talking about parking at a claimed island that is currently under protection.  Of course at a Lawless island you could be attacked, makes perfect sense.  Freeports would be just abused by griefers attacking and running for protection.   They would have to come up with a solution for that.

Oh I see what you mean. I’m not sure if parking a ship on an island that isn’t your own will protect it during non raid hours for that island. As for greifers, that already happens now. It is going to happen but greifers shouldn’t be the reason to omit a feature that would benefit a large player base and keep the servers populated

12 minutes ago, Baps said:

Oh I see what you mean. I’m not sure if parking a ship on an island that isn’t your own will protect it during non raid hours for that island. As for greifers, that already happens now. It is going to happen but greifers shouldn’t be the reason to omit a feature that would benefit a large player base and keep the servers populated

I hear ya but I think that omitting features to battle griefers that benefited a large player base has already happened.  And logic tells me that parking at a claimed base will protect you because claimed islands have tenants that receive that protection, yes?

oh, and free beer will bring people back.  It would bring me back twice, even though I have never left.  😄

7 minutes ago, 8ball said:

oh, and free beer will bring people back.  It would bring me back twice, even though I have never left.  😄

*coughs* 

Make mine a Boddington’s please, if you don’t mind.

• Like 1

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

*coughs* 

Make mine a Boddington’s please, if you don’t mind.

I'm not that fancy, only Natty Ice served here.

(don't make me google Boddington's)

2 minutes ago, 8ball said:

You just couldn't resist, edumacating me, could you.

(that sounds good.  I just am not of fan of wheat beers)

No I get a commission on every 4 pack you buy. It’s available on Amazon. It’s not a wheat beer. It’s a creamy English pub ale that uses nitrogen instead of carbonation, which is what gives Guinness that really thick head.

Buy some now.

You know you want to.

All the cool kids are doing it.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2019 at 8:20 PM, 8ball said:

Agree, spam is a problem in every single game like this, where we build things, but people can't destroy it.  For the life of me, I can't understand why no Dev in the business, understands the need to limit the amount a person can build, in a PvE environment.  This is why I suggested that very thing.  It doesn't have to be super limiting...just limiting, so that people aren't spamming structures everywhere, and this would also solve the problem of people using structures to grief with.  If you have a circle about the size of the old maritime claim, to use on land, or even just a bit bigger than that, and all your structures outside of that will be destroyed within 24 hours, no chance to repair, it would end griefing with structures.

14 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Agree, spam is a problem in every single game like this, where we build things, but people can't destroy it.  For the life of me, I can't understand why no Dev in the business, understands the need to limit the amount a person can build, in a PvE environment.  This is why I suggested that very thing.  It doesn't have to be super limiting...just limiting, so that people aren't spamming structures everywhere, and this would also solve the problem of people using structures to grief with.  If you have a circle about the size of the old maritime claim, to use on land, or even just a bit bigger than that, and all your structures outside of that will be destroyed within 24 hours, no chance to repair, it would end griefing with structures.

All those helpful ramps up to resources, discovery points, all the signs pointing to those resources. only breed the animals, farm the crops from that biome. I'd like a little freedom, and being a tenant gives me that. 

And they already tried that claim system, yup, got rid of that fast enough.

Agree. Our raid windows on unofficial are 3 hours and after weeks players find it hard to continue every single day defending their islands. I think PvE weekdays and PvP weekends would work out well but hell if I'm adjusting settings twice a week on a full grid just to set that up for my players, that's why I made SvS. Our Ship vs Ship zones have made it easy for PvP players to relax and play the game at their leisure, while also being nice for PvE players being able to participate in ship combat and not having to worry about being raided.

Ye sure I like it. But I also want base attacks. So I’m all fine with the structure invincibility for 6 days and 16 hours a week. But an 8 hour window every sunday or whatever should be nice. Or make it so that an island owner could decide when the 8 hours of vulnerability are. And have a map in the overlay where you can see what islands can be attacked at the specific time. The set time can only be changed every 2 or 4 weeks so companies can prepare for an attack for atleast a week. Should be good. 

Edited by Percieval