seruum

Wipe finally announced

curious if some understand that xbox players will be 10 days behind if they play on NA pvp, kinda defeated the purpose of a wipe other then to clear islands but for balance, theres no balance there..

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Go back and look at the steam charts. Atlas lost 75% of it's players within 90 days. As much as I personally am excited about new islands, that and cats isn't gonna move the needle for Xbox players experience from 3 months to 10. It *might* move it enough for them to put in meaningful changes that could make the overall experience better, like adding to and or revamping skills, making changes that improve sailing and making the game more ship pvp centered, anything that might work, but Thorne is not fundamentally wrong when she points out that the core experience hasn't been changed, and I think the case is more than proved that the core experience won't keep enough people playing long term.

You are coming to the right conclusion though, the devs have a very limited window in which to make real changes that matter. Everyone coming from Xbox isn't gonna be Whitehawk, and knowing that, all we can do is hope that the xbox launch buys enough time for the new guy to effect meaningful change. I'm just saying I'm pretty confident that window is single digits in months, not double, and it may well be low single digits.

Oh you know I look at the steam charts everyday. But yeah, both you and Thorne are right. They definitely should have brought in more changes. At least a ship since it has been awhile they have given you guys anything.

that is definitely their bad on that. To be honest what they needed to do was put phase 2 as phase 1 and then phase one as phase 2. 3 and 4 are fine really but they really need to switch those two around. 

Fingers crossed though. As I said before, after that interview and seeing the lack of effort they put into it it rubbed me the wrong way. I’ll stay hopeful for the new guy, but not pleased with the others

4 minutes ago, Grrmisfit said:

curious if some understand that xbox players will be 10 days behind if they play on NA pvp, kinda defeated the purpose of a wipe other then to clear islands but for balance, theres no balance there..

Oh yeah. A lot of people are complaining  about that on all forms of social media. That part did boggle my mind though. 

Its like what? You devs realize that Na PVP is going to be dead and EU PVP is going to be full right?

the reason I say full is because now instead of the Xbox players sitting off into their own regions now they are all going to go to EU. Smh

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Go back and look at the steam charts. Atlas lost 75% of it's players within 90 days. As much as I personally am excited about new islands, that and cats isn't gonna move the needle for Xbox players experience from 3 months to 10. It *might* move it enough for them to put in meaningful changes that could make the overall experience better, like adding to and or revamping skills, making changes that improve sailing and making the game more ship pvp centered, anything that might work, but Thorne is not fundamentally wrong when she points out that the core experience hasn't been changed, and I think the case is more than proved that the core experience won't keep enough people playing long term.

You are coming to the right conclusion though, the devs have a very limited window in which to make real changes that matter. Everyone coming from Xbox isn't gonna be Whitehawk, and knowing that, all we can do is hope that the xbox launch buys enough time for the new guy to effect meaningful change. I'm just saying I'm pretty confident that window is single digits in months, not double, and it may well be low single digits.

Regarding player retention, remember that those 90 days included announcement of the first wipe.    There are some xbox players with the foresight to think about how it might feel to be wiped twice in 9 or 10 months time in a survival game and it might prevent some of them from buying the game, but the devs have cleverly and transparently tried to head that off at the pass in the announcement by declaring no more wipes till release.

Translation - "We only wiped those other people twice.  We wouldn't do that to YOU.

So, as one of the "other" people, you may understand that today is the day of pissed offedidness, and allow at least 24 hours for some righteous indignation about that.

I'm glad you like islands.  Truly.  Personally, I like my OWN island very much.  I enjoy seeing a pretty island occasionally as I travel around.  Aside from that, they're scenery.  I don't come to know them and appreciate each one as the individual little gem of some graphic designer's dreams.  Some of them have nice mats on them.  Some have good bears.  I don't give them much thought on my day to day gameplay.  Cats?  I am currently enslaved to 5 former feral cats, which are all I could take from the colony I managed at my old house before I moved.  I'm a dog person.  I thought I'd be moving with 4 dogs, but it took so long they all succumbed to old age, and now I have 5 cats.  Do I need more cats?  

In any case, I understand your approach to not scaring away the new players.  Luckily there are not hordes of them here yet, if ever.  They're xbobs.  They'll probably be on one of the other communications channels.   Your posts are being made from someone with possibly a longer timeline on this game than me, because it sounds like deciding to stay is a no-brainer for you.   From my perspective, there's a decision to be made about that.   Are my friends staying?  Can I get my island back? Is there any other decent game to shift to?  Do I have any confidence whatsoever that these developers are going to make all of this worth my while at some point?  Those are the decision points.  I don't expect they care, based on recent history.   New people considering plunking down some cash are entitled to that viewpoint as well, and if that doesn't filter back through the players to the developers, how do you ever expect some company to develop a game we'd actually like to play?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I'm sad that I have to agree with that comment.  I've been thinking about it, and I think there's probably a pretty good probablility that they intended to wipe all along and were just stringing everyone along with the "if techincal reasons" bit.  

Here's why I think that.  If you look at how this game is set up, there are 4 official "servers", each comprised of 225 actual servers.  That's 900 servers.  Last week they said they were so busy getting ready for xbox and working on the PTR that they weren't going to turn on magic mythos. That seemed pretty weird to me, so I've been thinking about that.  How busy do you have to be to not be able to run a script to flip 2x on some of the multipliers on the servers?

This leads me to wonder if they are even using scripts to manage 900 servers.  If not, it explains an awful lot, including why they can't preserve player data and inventory at least, or mitigate a landscape wipe in any other way - because someone would have to log onto 900 servers to do that.

So sure, I could be wrong on that because I haven't got root privileges on those boxes, but it's something that makes you go hmmm....

If that's not the case then one of two things happened - they either decided to wipe to boost the marketing effort for xbox, or they really did decide to just rearrange all the islands for no great player benefit and wipe everyone out really for nothing at all.

None of those is good.

An inability to preserve player data and inventory sounds about right. Your hypothesis about the event is intriguing. I also found it weird they couldn't just "flip a script." 

I don't agree that you're fairly describing it when you say just rearranging all the islands. They've said they are introducing new island templates. Either you are saying they are flat out lying about that, which would be easily provable pretty soon, or you're just being dismissive of it cause it doesn't matter to you personally. So I can't agree that would be wiping everyone out for nothing at all, it's just nothing you find worth it.

3 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Regarding player retention, remember that those 90 days included announcement of the first wipe.    There are some xbox players with the foresight to think about how it might feel to be wiped twice in 9 or 10 months time in a survival game and it might prevent some of them from buying the game, but the devs have cleverly and transparently tried to head that off at the pass in the announcement by declaring no more wipes till release.

Translation - "We only wiped those other people twice.  We wouldn't do that to YOU.

So, as one of the "other" people, you may understand that today is the day of pissed offedidness, and allow at least 24 hours for some righteous indignation about that.

I'm glad you like islands.  Truly.  Personally, I like my OWN island very much.  I enjoy seeing a pretty island occasionally as I travel around.  Aside from that, they're scenery.  I don't come to know them and appreciate each one as the individual little gem of some graphic designer's dreams.  Some of them have nice mats on them.  Some have good bears.  I don't give them much thought on my day to day gameplay.  Cats?  I am currently enslaved to 5 former feral cats, which are all I could take from the colony I managed at my old house before I moved.  I'm a dog person.  I thought I'd be moving with 4 dogs, but it took so long they all succumbed to old age, and now I have 5 cats.  Do I need more cats?  

In any case, I understand your approach to not scaring away the new players.  Luckily there are not hordes of them here yet, if ever.  They're xbobs.  They'll probably be on one of the other communications channels.   Your posts are being made from someone with possibly a longer timeline on this game than me, because it sounds like deciding to stay is a no-brainer for you.   From my perspective, there's a decision to be made about that.   Are my friends staying?  Can I get my island back? Is there any other decent game to shift to?  Do I have any confidence whatsoever that these developers are going to make all of this worth my while at some point?  Those are the decision points.  I don't expect they care, based on recent history.   New people considering plunking down some cash are entitled to that viewpoint as well, and if that doesn't filter back through the players to the developers, how do you ever expect some company to develop a game we'd actually like to play?

If you stay let me know what island you are on and while I am voyaging I will bring you like 10 more cats lol

@boomervoncannon are you and Thorne on EU or NA?

i am guessing EU

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I don't agree that you're fairly describing it when you say just rearranging all the islands. They've said they are introducing new island templates. Either you are saying they are flat out lying about that, which would be easily provable pretty soon, or you're just being dismissive of it cause it doesn't matter to you personally. So I can't agree that would be wiping everyone out for nothing at all, it's just nothing you find worth it.

You're making too much of it.  It was a throwaway verb.  I'm saying it dismissively because, aside from you, I don't think anyone cares about it.  I can't imagine anyone ever saying , "Oh, I heard there was a new island in J4.  I'm going to sail over and have a look at it."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

It's not a no brainer for me to play. I have been on and off the game since the first wipe was announced. Right now Red and I are having a look at Black Desert Online because they just expanded their water based content, and she does love sailing. I will almost certainly come back and check out the new islands, see what actual xbox players are like instead of just taking other people's word for it. I will never not be playing whatever the latest iteration of Civilization is, and currently I'm teaching my nephews how to play. I will probably continue to post here off and on until my company pulls me off the road and makes me a sales trainer, about which rumors have been passed down to me. At that point my work is likely to become more 9 to 5ish. Whether Atlas and these boards continue to get my time and attention will depend largely on what the devs do or don't accomplish to move the game forward.

I understand where you're coming from, because with what they have, Atlas can be fun for a month or two, especially with friends, but it has none of the things that keep MMO players playing beyond that. I do think that a greater variety of islands to explore is one small step in that direction, because explorers are a core type of gamer, but only a small one, and obviously not everyone's cup of tea.

You can be sure that another wipe will occur after October 8th and all because of these "Wild Pirate Camps".

They will first test and fix this system using feedback from single player mode players and then launch it on the official network.

In short who starts playing after wipe already has a date to lose everything, we just don't know when.

Really dedicate yourself to this game only at the official release and in single player mode.

7 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

You're making too much of it.  It was a throwaway verb.  I'm saying it dismissively because, aside from you, I don't think anyone cares about it.  I can't imagine anyone ever saying , "Oh, I heard there was a new island in J4.  I'm going to sail over and have a look at it."

I try never to speak for anyone but myself, but when they first announced Atlas, the thing that got me excited about it was "wow 700 different islands to explore!" that and the possibility of sailing based trade empires with valuable goods shipped hither thither and yon for the greater glory of my treasure chest. What I found ingame with all the cookie cutter varients was okay...there were still quite a number of permutations, but once I'd seen them all, yeah it was a little deflating. One of the reasons 70 new templates excites me is because I think a game world that did genuinely have hundreds of different islands in the end (suppose they continue to push out batches of new island templates so that at launch even if there aren't 700 uniquely different islands there are still several hundred) would be a pretty interesting place to explore. 

Now making the journey to get there less tedious than it currently is....that's another piece of the puzzle.

6 minutes ago, Rising said:

You can be sure that another wipe will occur after October 8th and all because of these "Wild Pirate Camps".

They will first test and fix this system using feedback from single player mode players and then launch it on the official network.

In short who starts playing after wipe already has a date to lose everything, we just don't know when.

Really dedicate yourself to this game only at the official release and in single player mode.

This was always sage advice from day one because of the little tag on the store page which says "Early Access"  It is a term I dislike because of the way developers are currently abusing it to player disadvantage and I think ultimately their own long term detriment, but I don't actually know that it's a foregone conclusion that WPE would require a wipe to implement into the game world. It's possible either way, but assuming and then advising others to base their actions off your assumptions is well, inadvisable imo. 

Ask Realist how I feel about that.

18 minutes ago, Realist said:

If you stay let me know what island you are on and while I am voyaging I will bring you like 10 more cats lol

@boomervoncannon are you and Thorne on EU or NA?

i am guessing EU

We are both on NA PVE or at least Thorne was at one point. If you show up at my place you are welcome. If you bring more than one cat I will drown them. But I will be picking a whole new spot after the wipe.

20 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

This was always sage advice from day one because of the little tag on the store page which says "Early Access"  It is a term I dislike because of the way developers are currently abusing it to player disadvantage and I think ultimately their own long term detriment, but I don't actually know that it's a foregone conclusion that WPE would require a wipe to implement into the game world. It's possible either way, but assuming and then advising others to base their actions off your assumptions is well, inadvisable imo. 

We are both on NA PVE or at least Thorne was at one point. If you show up at my place you are welcome. If you bring more than one cat I will drown them. But I will be picking a whole new spot after the wipe.

*grabs boomers bazooka* I dare you to drown those cats 🤬

ok cool. That was where my buddy and I were going.

There are some great points that have been made here. I like the idea of new beginnings and starting new but will miss all that I have accomplished since the last wipe. When is ea going to end or does it go on forever? Just joking 

Why cant we keep our levels, skills and discovery points going into the new map? 

How is it fair and balanced for console players that pc players get a 10 day head start ? How about another wipe on pvp after 10 days.

Why do the pve players have to wait till the 8th to play? More bugs to work out  idk.  Same playbook as last wipe .

Sure they have addressed some fixes but what about ALL the other bugs that all of us have lived with?  I always believed it should be before new stuff fix the old stuff.  

Why cant we have WPE on the official servers. It made sense without a wipe but now ?? It would add so much to the game play. 

No choice except to wait and see.  

I

Edited by gumbyc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

lol if no one wants me on as a company mate i just go to Single Player.
Play SOLO on the official network never again.

10 hours ago, Grigory Grogswallow said:

It sucks because this wipe isnt adding anything of value to the game aside from a the new map. Which isnt going to make the game feel any better 

And that is exactly why im done with the game this time around. I don't think they will ever learn.