seruum

Wipe finally announced

So there is a wipe announcement for tge 28th and then it seems that all servers other than NA pvp will be down for 10 days. I suppose i will see you all next season. Can't say we didn't see this coming a mile off.

• Thanks 1

I have to admit, I do feel bad. It wasn’t that I wanted this to happen to any of you.

i did know that it would though. The signs were already there. Even when nobody agrees with me. I do feel for you and it sucks that it is happening.

my rants probably made things worse, but that was mainly because I was met with such resistance. I really was trying to be informative. I do know these people.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Realist said:

I have to admit, I do feel bad. It wasn’t that I wanted this to happen to any of you.

i did know that it would though. The signs were already there. Even when nobody agrees with me. I do feel for you and it sucks that it is happening. 

my rants probably made things worse, but that was mainly because I was met with such resistance. I really was trying to be informative. I do know these people.

1440785351_lolwut.jpg.9aa2a2883cb06eed64ed75ee0199e880.jpg

Edited by PeglegTheAngry
  • Haha 1

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm fine with this wipe. There are clearly multiple technical reasons it's more than necessary. 70 new island templates, polish to existing islands and a new biome type. These are all extremely valid reasons to wipe in an Early Access game and just as I've said I'm not interested in listening to xbox players whine about needing a wipe because they think they deserve it, I'm now uninterested in existing players whining about losing their stuff. It's EA, this is part of the deal. They're not wiping us just to give xbox players what they want, they are making major changes and improvements to the game world.

Be thrilled about the new stuff and look at it as a chance to start fresh. Also if you got heavy into breeding or building in an EA game that had already wiped once and are now sour grapes over losing all your time invested, well, I don't really know what to tell you.

I think everyone should be excited about this and move forward together. Remember at the end of the day it's only a game.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Realist said:

For what it's worth I dont' think it sucks that it's happening at all. Everyone knew or should have known that at very barest minimum there would be at least one more wipe, at game launch. People were demoralized and paralyzed into inaction when they didn't know for sure whether a wipe was coming sooner rather than later, and unfortunately your rants did contribute to that uncertainty imo. But don't sweat it too hard because now we know, and it isn't just so someone else gets a clean slate, it's because important new changes are being made. Anyone who is sour grapes about the wipe in that context isn't being very reasonable imo.

I would have been pissed if they wiped just to placate xbox players, but all this stuff is getting added? Bring it on, that's what improving your game is all about. I'm very relieved to hear these kinds of changes are happening sooner rather than later, so to me this is all good news.

• Like 2

Looking forward to the new season as well 🙂 might even give official half a try "just to see what new people will be seeing" hope it don't make me ill 😛

looks like very good chance they wont be wiping again 🙂 lets hope they can juggle that, if not.. same feel as am today... will just be a "new season" with improvements to start out with over the last. lol. 😉

1 hour ago, lordkhan4444 said:

yep im still batting 1000 🙂  i will check my crystal ball for whats next.

Be sure to pm me with next weeks winning lottery numbers. I got 20 bucks to burn. If you can make me rich I will dance at your wedding/funeral/arraignment/graduation.

32 minutes ago, Liatni said:

Looking forward to the new season as well 🙂 might even give official half a try "just to see what new people will be seeing" hope it don't make me ill 😛

looks like very good chance they wont be wiping again 🙂 lets hope they can juggle that, if not.. same feel as am today... will just be a "new season" with improvements to start out with over the last. lol. 😉

Please ignore what I said here because it was before I fully read the wipe annoucement. Nothing to see here folks. move along.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Actually, I almost have to thank the developers. The senseless grind is over and I have nothing to maintain or feed. I guess I can not come back to the official server, because an MMO that does not leave you any breaks and where you can lose everything is just a very stupid idea. This game as an MMO has already failed successfully.

Maybe I'll check in on my own server with some friends, if mods and better server settings can provide a better gaming experience. Until then, there are many other games that entertain me more than the Atlas farm simulator.

8 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

failed successfully.

I'm unsure whether to name my next ship this, or to start a garage band with this name. Maybe I'll just make a t shirt with this on it.

2 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

1440785351_lolwut.jpg.9aa2a2883cb06eed64ed75ee0199e880.jpg

You are being very informative. Go forth and do your good work.

Ahem. Does it say that NA pvp is launching on Saturday, and then xbobs can join a week later with their launch?

Edited by eeeceee

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Yeah, this is what I've been expecting the whole time. It isn't something to get upset about -- though people will of course anyway -- It's still beta and this is common practice. As development progresses, we could expect more wipes to happen before official launch. 

8 minutes ago, Wotannatow said:

Yeah, this is what I've been expecting the whole time.

You were expecting that post?

I was expecting that post too.

Where's that lol wut pic when you need it.

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Be thrilled about the new stuff and look at it as a chance to start fresh

Srsly?  New islands are not thrilling.  Cats are not thrilling.  New game mechanics are thrilling - skill trees with specialization, new levels of player organization , ie. towns and cities, new modes of tension and conflict for both pvp and pve, new ships, better use of crew...

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

There are clearly multiple technical reasons it's more than necessary. 70 new island templates, polish to existing islands and a new biome type. These are all extremely valid reasons to wipe in an Early Access game

Maybe.  Maybe not.  First, they've indicated that they expect to do more things like that without wiping in the future.  Second, you can wipe a landscape without wiping player data, and that includes possessions, as we've already seen them do in Ark, and as you can move a player, including possessions, in single player.

But mostly, even if it is technically required to make these changes,  these are changes that don't fundamentally add anything at all to the player experience.  These are best worked in when they can be combined with something for players to look forward to.  It's like wiping the servers to make the oceans a little bit more blue.  Nobody gives a rat's about it.

If I had any doubts that this was not well thought out, the rolling start puts them to rest.  You have Xbox players complaining that it's unfair not to wipe, especially on pvp, so they'll choose a pvp server to start up first, a week before xbox launch, and all the pc players get a head start on it.

Every decision degrades the level of confidence that smart decisions are being made and everything will come out right in the end.

• Like 1

Said it was coming months ago, I think many anticipated it not that it bothers me, infact it brings me back. They say there will be no more wipes but I'm not so sure about that, I think 1 final wipe after this before launch but that's just a guess.

11 hours ago, Realist said:

Like you had any part in this? No offense, but you severely overestimate your importance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Srsly?  New islands are not thrilling.  Cats are not thrilling.  New game mechanics are thrilling - skill trees with specialization, new levels of player organization , ie. towns and cities, new modes of tension and conflict for both pvp and pve, new ships, better use of crew...

Maybe.  Maybe not.  First, they've indicated that they expect to do more things like that without wiping in the future.  Second, you can wipe a landscape without wiping player data, and that includes possessions, as we've already seen them do in Ark, and as you can move a player, including possessions, in single player.

But mostly, even if it is technically required to make these changes,  these are changes that don't fundamentally add anything at all to the player experience.  These are best worked in when they can be combined with something for players to look forward to.  It's like wiping the servers to make the oceans a little bit more blue.  Nobody gives a rat's about it.

If I had any doubts that this was not well thought out, the rolling start puts them to rest.  You have Xbox players complaining that it's unfair not to wipe, especially on pvp, so they'll choose a pvp server to start up first, a week before xbox launch, and all the pc players get a head start on it.

Every decision degrades the level of confidence that smart decisions are being made and everything will come out right in the end.

*sighs* 

Thorne what do you want from me? To sit here and perpetuate an argument that has been done to death for over a month and is now a moot point? New islands may not be thrilling to you. They ARE thrilling to me. Cats I neither like nor dislike. New game mechanics would be thrilling, but do you remember when I expressed concern about releasing the exact some game that failed on pc to xbox? The new lead designer will need time to work out how to do anything of that nature. Do I think it's more prudent to hold off xbox release til he can do that and implement some changes and new ideas? Obviously, and I think I've been clear about that in the past. But I'm not in charge and it wasn't my call. They are at least putting in what new stuff they already have done to make the game as fresh as possible. You say none of that requires a wipe. I'm not going to challenge you on a technical basis, but those things sure sound like a wipe would make more sense than not to me.

Now that I've had the chance to stop and reflect, I will say that I don't see any reason pve character wipes are necessary, and that was a lot of work people put in to level and get  discovery points, so if you want to ask the devs pointedly why they feel pve character data wipes are needed, I'd like to know as well.

Perhaps my earlier posts came off as too glib. I haven't suddenly decided everything is alright with the game and the devs are brilliant, but here's what I'm looking at: I'm tired of nothing but arguing. There will be a lot of new posters coming to the forums, they are already starting to post. I can't control anything about what the devs do with the game, the only thing I have any say in whatsoever is what kind of environment they encounter when they come here. For that reason and my own personal preference to look for the good rather than the bad, I want to focus on the positive for a while. I still have serious long term reservations about Atlas's viability and chances for success, but I think no one will accuse me of having failed to say my piece about them, or to have said too little. What I don't want to do is dwell on them incessantly to the degree of ignoring any new development that could be positive. I'm sorry if you don't like any of the new things, but you're smart enough to know that just because you don't like them, doesn't mean no one will.

For all it's faults, and there are plenty, there are still players like Whitehawk who love Atlas the way it is, who will enjoy what the new stuff brings. Some portion of incoming Xbox players will too. Do I think these changes by themselves are enough to turn the tide? Of course not, but they have to start somewhere, and since they didn't take my obviously brilliant advice and hold off, I've decided it's better not to sit here and piss and moan about it, but to welcome the new players to the forums and try to help create an environment  that is less like the flaming dumpster fire kindergartens that are most internet gaming boards. Spewing sour grapes about things not going how I wanted won't do that.

It sucks because this wipe isnt adding anything of value to the game aside from a the new map. Which isnt going to make the game feel any better

I quit this game a couple weeks after the first wipe and came back to see what was up a few days ago and it's literally indistinguishable from the game I left. Zero progress and the road map promises nothing more then the same. On top of that grapeshot gave small companies a huge middle finger by blatantly refusing to improve the experience for small companies and solo players and instead doing the exact opposite shoving them off towards private server.

I'd bet 90% of the X-Box crowd leaves after 2 weeks. I mean it happened on PC what makes anyone think the same game is going to do better on x-box were players disadvantaged and generally more casual? Its not salt it's the truth. There is absolutely no reason to believe this game will recover as it continues in this direction.

Edited by Grigory Grogswallow
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

Do better.

And a lot of other things.

I'm sad that I have to agree with that comment.  I've been thinking about it, and I think there's probably a pretty good probablility that they intended to wipe all along and were just stringing everyone along with the "if techincal reasons" bit.  

Here's why I think that.  If you look at how this game is set up, there are 4 official "servers", each comprised of 225 actual servers.  That's 900 servers.  Last week they said they were so busy getting ready for xbox and working on the PTR that they weren't going to turn on magic mythos. That seemed pretty weird to me, so I've been thinking about that.  How busy do you have to be to not be able to run a script to flip 2x on some of the multipliers on the servers?

This leads me to wonder if they are even using scripts to manage 900 servers.  If not, it explains an awful lot, including why they can't preserve player data and inventory at least, or mitigate a landscape wipe in any other way - because someone would have to log onto 900 servers to do that.

So sure, I could be wrong on that because I haven't got root privileges on those boxes, but it's something that makes you go hmmm....

If that's not the case then one of two things happened - they either decided to wipe to boost the marketing effort for xbox, or they really did decide to just rearrange all the islands for no great player benefit and wipe everyone out really for nothing at all.

None of those is good.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

*sighs* 

Thorne what do you want from me? To sit here and perpetuate an argument that has been done to death for over a month and is now a moot point? New islands may not be thrilling to you. They ARE thrilling to me. Cats I neither like nor dislike. New game mechanics would be thrilling, but do you remember when I expressed concern about releasing the exact some game that failed on pc to xbox? The new lead designer will need time to work out how to do anything of that nature. Do I think it's more prudent to hold off xbox release til he can do that and implement some changes and new ideas? Obviously, and I think I've been clear about that in the past. But I'm not in charge and it wasn't my call. They are at least putting in what new stuff they already have done to make the game as fresh as possible. You say none of that requires a wipe. I'm not going to challenge you on a technical basis, but those things sure sound like a wipe would make more sense than not to me.

Now that I've had the chance to stop and reflect, I will say that I don't see any reason pve character wipes are necessary, and that was a lot of work people put in to level and get  discovery points, so if you want to ask the devs pointedly why they feel pve character data wipes are needed, I'd like to know as well.

Perhaps my earlier posts came off as too glib. I haven't suddenly decided everything is alright with the game and the devs are brilliant, but here's what I'm looking at: I'm tired of nothing but arguing. There will be a lot of new posters coming to the forums, they are already starting to post. I can't control anything about what the devs do with the game, the only thing I have any say in whatsoever is what kind of environment they encounter when they come here. For that reason and my own personal preference to look for the good rather than the bad, I want to focus on the positive for a while. I still have serious long term reservations about Atlas's viability and chances for success, but I think no one will accuse me of having failed to say my piece about them, or to have said too little. What I don't want to do is dwell on them incessantly to the degree of ignoring any new development that could be positive. I'm sorry if you don't like any of the new things, but you're smart enough to know that just because you don't like them, doesn't mean no one will.

For all it's faults, and there are plenty, there are still players like Whitehawk who love Atlas the way it is, who will enjoy what the new stuff brings. Some portion of incoming Xbox players will too. Do I think these changes by themselves are enough to turn the tide? Of course not, but they have to start somewhere, and since they didn't take my obviously brilliant advice and hold off, I've decided it's better not to sit here and piss and moan about it, but to welcome the new players to the forums and try to help create an environment  that is less like the flaming dumpster fire kindergartens that are most internet gaming boards. Spewing sour grapes about things not going how I wanted won't do that.

Unfortunately we will have to have patience but as you mentioned people like whitehawk still like it. The main problem was there wasn’t a lot of people left. The good news to that is even though atlas hasn’t really changed, the Xbox players have never experienced anything so it will take months(even 10 more months) before the Xbox players get bored so the silver lining to this is at least there will be more players and it won’t feel like an empty world even though it will be the same(for the most part) world.

before the game had problems and no people. Not at least it can have problems with people.

we still have to stay positive about the new designer(not saying that you are not btw).  by the time the months go by that Xbox players would get bored as well there should most definitely be a lot added by then.

population was one of the biggest problems and at least it will get temporarily solved. Now the devs need to get their butts in gear to keep the population up.

Holy crap, I just came back to these shenanigans, good gods! I cant wait to shit all over the 300 people playing on the NA server.

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Unfortunately we will have to have patience but as you mentioned people like whitehawk still like it. The main problem was there wasn’t a lot of people left. The good news to that is even though atlas hasn’t really changed, the Xbox players have never experienced anything so it will take months(even 10 more months) before the Xbox players get bored so the silver lining to this is at least there will be more players and it won’t feel like an empty world even though it will be the same(for the most part) world.

before the game had problems and no people. Not at least it can have problems with people.

we still have to stay positive about the new designer(not saying that you are not btw).  by the time the months go by that Xbox players would get bored as well there should most definitely be a lot added by then.

population was one of the biggest problems and at least it will get temporarily solved. Now the devs need to get their butts in gear to keep the population up.

Go back and look at the steam charts. Atlas lost 75% of it's players within 90 days. As much as I personally am excited about new islands, that and cats isn't gonna move the needle for Xbox players experience from 3 months to 10. It *might* move it enough for them to put in meaningful changes that could make the overall experience better, like adding to and or revamping skills, making changes that improve sailing and making the game more ship pvp centered, anything that might work, but Thorne is not fundamentally wrong when she points out that the core experience hasn't been changed, and I think the case is more than proved that the core experience won't keep enough people playing long term.

You are coming to the right conclusion though, the devs have a very limited window in which to make real changes that matter. Everyone coming from Xbox isn't gonna be Whitehawk, and knowing that, all we can do is hope that the xbox launch buys enough time for the new guy to effect meaningful change. I'm just saying I'm pretty confident that window is single digits in months, not double, and it may well be low single digits.

• Like 1