Sign in to follow this  
Daigari

Let's mitigate the effects of server-wipe!

5 minutes ago, zottel said:

That would be easy fixed Without a wipe. As every Grid is his own Server Which sends you to another when hitting the border they just Need to Change that After I4 you travell to freeport And After that to the New Grid  Which is your Grid .so they just swapped places basicly

That is IF the original server/island was the same some where else on the map, if not.. nope they just be without the island, let alone the base. heh

29 minutes ago, zottel said:

That would be easy fixed Without a wipe. As every Grid is his own Server Which sends you to another when hitting the border they just Need to Change that After I4 you travell to freeport And After that to the New Grid  Which is your Grid .so they just swapped places basicly

I'll take your word for it as I really don't have any experience in this sort of thing.  My question would be, why do it in the first place then?  The map has changed, they've changed some islands completely.  Williers Cay in I7 is completely different than what it has been.  They've added some islands in some zones, takes some islands from others.

It's like  good toilet paper, 2 fairly heavy wipes and the hangers on are gone. But seriously in all the games i've played where similar has happened even just to bases ie purges etc most players can handle it once but twice will either make you leave or seriously affect your commitment to the game. But that's probably a gamble that's not avoidable now anyway, one way or the other.

Edited by Whitehawk

16 hours ago, Baps said:

People should expect wipes. With the Xbox release, it is needed more than ever if it hopes to succeed. Console release is the life raft for this game. They can’t afford to fuck it up by not wiping the game completely. People that cry about losing their progress should really look at the bigger picture. 

Hi, my name is XBob and I really looking forward to play this game. But I cannot start to play on the 6.Oct, because I am late to the party... I will be buying the game like a week, maybe a month after it comes out on XBox.

So can we have another wipe for when I finally come online for the first time? I mean... it is vitally important that I get a fair chance to start at the same point as the PCBobs and the other XBobs, right.

For the good of the game it is more important to start me at Zero with everyone else, than to keep some progress of the Bobs that where here early, right...? I mean what is some other peoples invested time when it comes to me getting a fair start with everyone else at a time of my choosing, right... People like Baps will understand that, right...? I mean he should expect wipes, right...? But he should not expect that anyone like me, coming late into the game should be left behind and have to catch up, right...?

Thank you for your understanding...! See you at the start line after the deserved XBobs wipe...

I mean, what I don't get why you even want to play the game when it releases on XBox... because there will be a another wipe when I finally buy the game and get online later, right... I think that is such a waste of time, right...? Knowing you loose all you progress again when I finally get online so we can start together on this epic journey, right...? 

I mean this will be super, all the fun we will have, right...?

I only hope that when Atlad releases on Mobile later, that they will not be so stupid that they wipe the servers just for them, so they can start from tje same point as everyone else before them... I would be very pissed if that happens and they wipe all the cool things I build ingame just because of these Johnny come lately's, right...? I mean at that point I would leave the game forever, right...? I cannot be expected to start all over again, right just because of some MBobs getting into the game, right...?

Right...???

• Haha 1

Day one "The Wipe"

Day two "WTF"

Day three "Content Wall"

Day four "Need A Wipe!"

The future life of Xboxers everywhere coming to a forum near you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheepshooter said:

Hi, my name is XBob and I really looking forward to play this game. But I cannot start to play on the 6.Oct, because I am late to the party... I will be buying the game like a week, maybe a month after it comes out on XBox.

So can we have another wipe for when I finally come online for the first time? I mean... it is vitally important that I get a fair chance to start at the same point as the PCBobs and the other XBobs, right.

For the good of the game it is more important to start me at Zero with everyone else, than to keep some progress of the Bobs that where here early, right...? I mean what is some other peoples invested time when it comes to me getting a fair start with everyone else at a time of my choosing, right... People like Baps will understand that, right...? I mean he should expect wipes, right...? But he should not expect that anyone like me, coming late into the game should be left behind and have to catch up, right...?

Thank you for your understanding...! See you at the start line after the deserved XBobs wipe...

I mean, what I don't get why you even want to play the game when it releases on XBox... because there will be a another wipe when I finally buy the game and get online later, right... I think that is such a waste of time, right...? Knowing you loose all you progress again when I finally get online so we can start together on this epic journey, right...? 

I mean this will be super, all the fun we will have, right...?

I only hope that when Atlad releases on Mobile later, that they will not be so stupid that they wipe the servers just for them, so they can start from tje same point as everyone else before them... I would be very pissed if that happens and they wipe all the cool things I build ingame just because of these Johnny come lately's, right...? I mean at that point I would leave the game forever, right...? I cannot be expected to start all over again, right just because of some MBobs getting into the game, right...?

Right...???

You are a moron if you think a wipe for someone picking up the game after a launch is the at all the same as a wipe for a launch. A few players behind by a week is completely different than an entire platform 7 months behind. If forced crossplay wasn’t a thing, then this wouldn’t be a problem. Wipe/don’t wipe, wouldn’t matter for PC.

But that isn’t, the reality. The reality is they chose to do crossplay for two reasons. To cutback on servers that they would need to pay for and to revive the completely dead PC servers. The crossplay is designed to give PC players more people to play with. So be happy about that.

The Official NAPVP server has only  300 players. What do you think is more important for the game from a business perspective: The feelings of those 300 players that already have the game, or the thousands of sales from Xbox? The Xbobs are going to allow this game to keep moving forward whether you like it or not. If they don’t wipe, it will turn away a ton of customers. If it releases on PS4 with crossplay, I would expect another wipe. 

At this point a wipe will also bring back more PC players than are currently playing as well. Just like the last wipe. Hell when ARK launched, tons of people bitched about a wipe so they moved the old servers to legacy and opened new servers that were fresh. The new servers were flooded by new and old players while the legacy servers quickly died out. Keeping legacy was a waste of resources since the new fresh servers were clearly more popular. This game doesn’t have paid DLC or microtransactions yet. So retaining the few hundred players on officials right now isn’t and shouldn’t be important. MCTs are what is suppose to pay for the servers once it launches but right now the only revenue they are getting is from sales. So if you at all care about this game getting finished and hopefully achieving its ambition then pull your head out of your ass and stop advocating against a wipe. A wipe may not be wanted by some but it is necessary.

everyone with IQ above 80 knows a wipe is coming, my only question is why are they waiting till the last second to announce it? couple weeks out and we are still in the dark.

@Sulfurblade @boomervoncannon

I gotta day that I like both of your arguments and I like how you show more professionalism in your debates between one another. I have grown to respect you both. The one thing in common is that you disagree agree with me a lot lol. That isn’t a poke just a fact.

i have both disagreed and agreed with both of you at times. Kind of reminds me of when I am talking politics with people. Usually both the left and the right disagree with me but I love the debate. Mind you I am not saying either one of you would represent any political side. This was just a scenario.

i have had some fun on these forums. No this isn’t a good bye letter lol. But if I had to pick two out of everyone I would say you two are the ones that I liked to argue/debate with the most. Mostly because of your own personal ethics but also the way you handle yourselves. No doubt I have gotten enough of a rise out of both of you to where you act abnormally but I do have a tendency to bring that out in people.

either way, kudos to both of you. I look forward to hearing more banter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Realist said:

@Sulfurblade @boomervoncannon

I gotta day that I like both of your arguments and I like how you show more professionalism in your debates between one another. I have grown to respect you both. The one thing in common is that you disagree agree with me a lot lol. That isn’t a poke just a fact.

i have both disagreed and agreed with both of you at times. Kind of reminds me of when I am talking politics with people. Usually both the left and the right disagree with me but I love the debate. Mind you I am not saying either one of you would represent any political side. This was just a scenario.

i have had some fun on these forums. No this isn’t a good bye letter lol. But if I had to pick two out of everyone I would say you two are the ones that I liked to argue/debate with the most. Mostly because of your own personal ethics but also the way you handle yourselves. No doubt I have gotten enough of a rise out of both of you to where you act abnormally but I do have a tendency to bring that out in people.

either way, kudos to both of you. I look forward to hearing more banter.

This maybe one of the nicest things you have said in this forum.  To be compared to Boomer is really something I find very honorable as I too hold him in the highest esteem.  Of all the people I have debated with on the forum he is the one who has always stuck to facts and never resorted to emotional outburst or poor behavior as is the norm in most online engagements these days!  Thank you for that.

7 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

This maybe one of the nicest things you have said in this forum.  To be compared to Boomer is really something I find very honorable as I too hold him in the highest esteem.  Of all the people I have debated with on the forum he is the one who has always stuck to facts and never resorted to emotional outburst or poor behavior as is the norm in most online engagements these days!  Thank you for that.

No problem at all, and that came from a true place.

i have been known  to have a sharp tongue and have been called out on it for more occasions than I would admit. I don’t necessarily have to curse or be vulgar to get under someone’s skin. Especially when I drink, I just have this way about me to where I automatically know what Buttons to push in certain circumstances. I consider it a gift and a curse.

a lot of times it goes unnoticed by me but there have been times where I wake up and delete part of my posts(a lot easier to realize it when you can read it later).

one thing I have always said on here as well is I give credit where credit is due. I am giving it now.

8 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

I must disagree with you sir!

Ultima Online BEFORE Trammel was the greatest MMORPG of all time...

And both PvP and PvE players coexisted perfectly.

No game has tried to shoehorn them together!  Please name an MMORPG since Ultima Online that put everyone together! 

And that list will be a painfully obvious list of games that Catered to the PvP Niche crowd....

Mortal Online

Darkfall

Shadowbane

^^^^^  Are a few of the only ones I can think of.  And where they went wrong is the same place that all the WoW clones go wrong!

These games where PvP first and PvE was the Red headed step children!

WoW

GW2

ESO

^^^^ Those games are PvE first and PvP a minor after thought the Red headed step children!!!

Please point out a game where PvP and PvE were treated equally in the same Sandbox in the past 12 years????

Not even Eve can make that claim because of the prevalence of High Sec space!  

The MMORPG Genre has been dying because of the Split of the player base that has become the normal since Trammel was created in Ultima Online....

That's why I have huge hopes that Chronicles of Elyria and its new MEOW approach will finally put the PvP and PvE crowd back together in one basket!

I argue that no MMORPG since Ultima Online has even made a credible attempt to make a game capable of providing for the needs or all player types and allowing them to flourish which each needing the other to survive.  Just like Plants need Carbon Dioxide to make Oxygen and we need Oxygen to breath the circle of life exists inside of the MMORPG

Crafters need people to buy from them!

PvPers Dont have time or care to craft <---

PvEers Collect mats and resources for the crafters

PK's Try to kill the PvEers making there adventure all the more exciting and rewarding.

Explorers Discover places and resources for the PvEers to adventure

^^^^ All of these are playstyles but sadly the average PVE "Minded Player" Today believes that all...

PvPers are PK's

Those are two very different categories....

Real PvPers want Honorable conflict and don't care about the PvEers they ignore them like a soldier would a civilian!

Its the PK's that hunt the PvEers and they Use to be a small minority <----  The seperation of the playerbases has made the younger gamers 40 years old or less believe

that PK's and PVP are the same thing... Game like Rust and ARK and DayZ and Atlas only Reinforce this terrible trend...  

And because of this the best MMORPG has to Really think about the systems it needs to put in place to RE Teach the PvP crowd that they are soldiers and not killers.

it requires Law and Order, it requires using ones brain and being elaborate and figuring out how to mitigate all the people who will attempt to abuse the systems put in place!

In short it would require effort....  but the Best MMORPG ever made the WoW killer the MMORPG that puts all players back in the same Sandbox that would be a game worth putting in the effort....

Hopefully thats Chronicles of Elyria otherwise I don't think I will see this game before I die....

There's not much here I really disagree with. I think you're just more finely parsing what I said in broader brush strokes. The games I was thinking of you pretty much covered. I never played Ultima but my gaming partner did and was a big fan back in the day.  I disagree that Eve didn't do a good job of creating a viable world for both precisely for the reasons you described.  The only thing I'll nitpick is I never said treated equally because all I meant was shoved into the same game and forced to coexist despite different playstyles and goals. I think Eve managed this and according to what you're saying Ultima did so even better.  I've also had enough experience with serious pvpers to agree with what you're saying in differentiating true pvp with pk. 

I don't find pk's trying to kill pvers out looking for resources to make that adventure more exciting and rewarding, so I do disagree about that. If I went out to the grocery store, and some guy showed up  there with an assault rifle and started shooting the place up, yes that would be more exciting, but not in a way I had any interest in being part of. More rewarding, definately not unless in the abstract "holy shit now I really appreciate being alive because that maniac might have killed me if I hadn't thrown a gallon of milk at his face and run like hell." sort of feeling. In the times in the past when I've had to deal with that in games, it was more like "oh great, this emotionally stunted dingleberry just flushed the 2 hours I spent down the drain when he very skillfully and bravely ganked me while I was gathering. I get to pay the price and listen to his inane shit talk in chat because his parents didn't love him enough. Lucky me."

But that's nitpicking mostly. 

See, I didn't grow up a gamer. I grew up playing basketball. Lots and lots of basketball. When you were discovering the joys of Ultima, I was perfecting my 3 point shot (okay perfecting is too strong of word, let's go with making respectable.) To me, competitive pvp in video games just doesn't really do much for me, because when I compete I like it to be in a real world face to face, mano e mano type scenario. Likewise I find all forms of shit talking online to be laughably absurd. When you've left pickup games because the court cleared when an argument over a foul ended with one party going to his car and getting a gun, guys waving their epeen around just doesn't tend to impress. Not that I can't admire skill, and I've seen some pretty skilled pvpers, it just doesn't do anything to get my competitive juices flowing. 

What I like in MMORPG's is exploration of a vast gameworld, crafting (as long as it's not brain dead oversimplified like so many games. I stll mourn The Repopulation because I would have made robots til the cows came home http://aena.at/craftmap/item1752.html. Btw when you click on that link, go to gold link circuit board and click on it to see all  the sub crafts involved, then click on oh say circuit board within that to see all the subcrafts needed for it, THEN click on gold electrode within that to see all the subcrafts needed for IT. Then click on flux within it to see all the subcrafts needed for it. Now THAT was a crafting system I could have sunk my teeth into.), and a decent economy that I can tinker around in and find arbitrages etc. 

Anyway, you have put forward some thought provoking comments. Thanks for the perspective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baps said:

You are a moron if you think a wipe for someone picking up the game after a launch is the at all the same as a wipe for a launch. A few players behind by a week is completely different than an entire platform 7 months behind. If forced crossplay wasn’t a thing, then this wouldn’t be a problem. Wipe/don’t wipe, wouldn’t matter for PC.

But that isn’t, the reality. The reality is they chose to do crossplay for two reasons. To cutback on servers that they would need to pay for and to revive the completely dead PC servers. The crossplay is designed to give PC players more people to play with. So be happy about that.

The Official NAPVP server has only  300 players. What do you think is more important for the game from a business perspective: The feelings of those 300 players that already have the game, or the thousands of sales from Xbox? The Xbobs are going to allow this game to keep moving forward whether you like it or not. If they don’t wipe, it will turn away a ton of customers. If it releases on PS4 with crossplay, I would expect another wipe. 

At this point a wipe will also bring back more PC players than are currently playing as well. Just like the last wipe. Hell when ARK launched, tons of people bitched about a wipe so they moved the old servers to legacy and opened new servers that were fresh. The new servers were flooded by new and old players while the legacy servers quickly died out. Keeping legacy was a waste of resources since the new fresh servers were clearly more popular. This game doesn’t have paid DLC or microtransactions yet. So retaining the few hundred players on officials right now isn’t and shouldn’t be important. MCTs are what is suppose to pay for the servers once it launches but right now the only revenue they are getting is from sales. So if you at all care about this game getting finished and hopefully achieving its ambition then pull your head out of your ass and stop advocating against a wipe. A wipe may not be wanted by some but it is necessary.

Okay, let's try and get things off on the right foot here. To start with, welcome to the forums, always good to hear from new voices. I can see you feel strongly about your views regarding a wipe. That's fine. Please understand that the issue of a wipe is no longer even a dead horse here. It is the descendants twenty generations removed of the flies that congregated on the horse's rotting corpse. Let me assure you that anything you could possibly say on the subject, and any possible counterpoints have all been said before. Many, many times. Let me further assure you that at this point pretty much nobody is willing to change their views. Certainly they are unlikely to change their views if you call them a moron. 

If your goal isn't to engage in productive discussion and debate, but rather to hurl insults and name call...well, this *is* the internet, but there are many here who would appreciate if that sort of thing were done elsewhere. I hear political forums are lovely this time of year. If meaningful discussion is what you're here for, we only ask that you try to keep things respectful even when others have differing viewpoints. Obviously they're wrong if they disagree with you, but reasonable people can disagree and still be civil right?

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Especially when I drink

a lot of times it goes unnoticed by me but there have been times where I wake up

Lol. We are all praying for you buddy

I will be back as always, I always play officials though so that's where I will be heading after the wipe. I remember the last wipe you had to be on as soon as it happened if you want to have a nice spot for yourself.

I'm assuming it's going to be the same as last time, spamming foundations to a certain degree to stop others building right next to you? At least that's how it was previously unless something has changed that I don't know about, haven't kept up with Atlas recently.

I'd love them to add the pirate encampments to official servers, not sure if this will happen but it would be nice to see. I don't think alot of people will come back though, not like last time. If I remember correctly they got 10k at last wipe before it dropped to around 2k over time, be lucky to get 5k but hope I'm wrong but probably with xbox now that may be boosted who knows. I think the more people you have on the better, I like the interaction with other companies, I only left because I was 1 of 2 left on an island, barely any players left.