Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Wild Pirate Encampments

This actually does seem like it would have been a cool idea. Unfortunately it seems like a one time deal with no replay ability.

lets say the WPE launches in the game and someone defeats the encampment. Then it never respawns? No. It should be an unclaimable island so you can periodically go back and fight them again.

yeah, I saw where it said they can respawn on any island that has been unclaimed or built on for an extended period of time, but yet when Xbox releases and all islands are claimed you single handedly got rid of your own mechanic?

i think you might want to rethink that idea. The WPE in general is a really good idea, but once again we are faced with a good idea but bad execution. WPE’s will be short lived. I would wager than even within the first week all WPE’s will be gone.

so yeah, it might be a good time to rethink this and make WPE’s non claimable islands.

they could spawn in freeports and on  golden age islands where people cant build.

i still think lawless grids should be "lawless" with no player building. would open up lots of room for npc factions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MOTIK said:

they could spawn in freeports and on  golden age islands where people cant build.

i still think lawless grids should be "lawless" with no player building. would open up lots of room for npc factions.

Nah, what they need to do is get rid of the claim system as a whole. No need to screw over the people that live on lawless because they don’t like the claim system

• Like 2

Just like all their other ideas to slow down island claiming I predict this one will bite them in the ass. Almost a year after launch and despite multiple statements of "We have finally fixed mobs spawning inside terrain!" anyone who plays the game knows that on a regular basis mobs spawn under or inside terrain. The mechanic on having to kill all the mobs on treasure maps before being able to loot the chest will work the same on these islands. Need to kill all the pirate NPC ships and mobs on that island. So here is how progression towards island claiming will go. Instead of just farming enough gold to place down claim flags in the first few hours of a new server launch on official, people will need to grind out some actual combat capability. This means creating temporary bases in lawless to farm, and all the shenanigans that entails. They will get everything they need in short order (screw them solos and small casual groups that make up the bulk of their playerbase) and sail to the island they plan on claiming that has NPC pirate spawn to be cleared. Fight to clear it, put down their claim flag showing how many mobs are left to clear, and get the dreaded "there are two more guardians" message. Scour the island and won't be able to find them as they will have spawned inside or under terrain. On pve people will figure out how to grief or loophole said attempts leading to the oceans of Atlas once again being filled with the salty, salty rage tears of the affected. Lots of broken Xbob controllers as the twitcher edgelords throw their controllers on the ground in impotent rage.

In order to claim an island, Pathfinders must destroy the WPE that currently live on it. This includes their patrolling ships and any enemy NPC within range of the Encampment center. Players will be able to use the Encampment claimflag to reveal nearby enemy NPCs. After claiming an Encampment, all Encampment will be structures transferred to the new settlement owner. Once defeated, an Encampment will never respawn. However, if the Encampment has not been fully defeated, it will reset to full strength if sufficient time has transpired without it being rendered.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

There are roughly 100 unclaimed islands on PvP and 300 or so on PvE.

Hush child.

That’s not the point lol. And once Xbox releases there won’t be any unclaimed islands.

the point is they are adding content but making that content a one time thing. See a trend here? Usually even with the bosses people only want to do it once.

the execution is not being done well. This is an opportunity to have replay ability in the game and they are messing up.

so it doesn’t matter how many unclaimed islands there are.

• Like 1

I like the way everybody here is talking as if WPE is coming to official servers when it's clearly stated to be coming to solo and dedicated servers only.

I admit it would be good to have this kind of thing on offical, and can also clearly see this would not work on offical in the manner they are implimenting it.

So saying it'll be crap on offical is just dumb, you and GS would be better served by suggestions on what changes could make it feasable on offical servers.

One unclaimable, unbuildable island per grid, with a resource or two not found elsewhere on that grid. Have the WPE inhabit and patrol this island.

Risking life and ship for those resources / pirate loot would be something worth doing.

• Like 1

Shandy, the only reason they are not putting it on official right now is they can't figure out how to do it without wiping. They know that people will abandon the game again (all 200 active on each official) if they announce a wipe. It will come to official, most likely the week before Xbob (gotta make officials all nice and shiny for the new customers). Giving them ideas on how to fix their broken game has been done over and over, and they have proven either they are clueless or just not interested. They will cashgrab the Xbobs then pull an Erkel shrug and go "Who knew?" The only reason many are still here bothering to comment is that the game had so much potential, that was squandered through bad decision after bad decision. Oh...and where's my hat?

they also said that they can

• move servers like a puzzle piece and
  • will add new islands,

so in theorie there should be space, but i would adjust the points a company has, able to own 2-3 islands is too much. and extend timer on demolish stuff on own island or add option to not be able to build at all.

yes xbox release soonTM (read above)

• wipe is unlikely to PvE, but can happen do to technical issues in code or balance/hack/cheat....
  • PvP likely to wipe

i would suggest to set a very low limit for owning ships (needs test ofc), then the players will play together.

Edited by photek

1 hour ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Shandy, the only reason they are not putting it on official right now is they can't figure out how to do it without wiping. They know that people will abandon the game again (all 200 active on each official) if they announce a wipe. It will come to official, most likely the week before Xbob (gotta make officials all nice and shiny for the new customers). Giving them ideas on how to fix their broken game has been done over and over, and they have proven either they are clueless or just not interested. They will cashgrab the Xbobs then pull an Erkel shrug and go "Who knew?" The only reason many are still here bothering to comment is that the game had so much potential, that was squandered through bad decision after bad decision. Oh...and where's my hat?

They can already add islands without a wipe, so adding stuff to that island wouldn't be a problem. So your non constructive effort wasn't even valid "who knew?"

However they probably want something like these WPE being on claimed land too, if it's to be on offical, so you could have them attacking peoples bases. That is a cool idea but i've no idea how you'd do that.

Wow.. again for single player and dedicated servers.

The lack of comprehension on these forums is comical, and makes one feel like the most intelligent person in the room.

• Like 2

It's a good idea npc encampments but lets be honest it is literally more enemies to fight, where's the time and imagination involved in that? they coulda just added tougher beasts or more aotd what difference is it really gonna make to the overall depth of the game? We already have deserted buildings round the map that they could just slap hostile npc's into. If all people want is loads more fighting why wouldn't they just play a hack and slash or an action rpg? Or if its just constant ship battles people crave just play naval action. Personally i'm not that interested in a sea based battle royale. whether it's more beasts to fight or npc's it's gonna get mundane pretty quickly for most people. What would an mmo be like with more ai than real people? Someone on the dev team seems to be hell bent on a massive sea battle war game. I'm just glad they gave us single player. I know this is a controversial post but  I'm not alone in some of these opinions.

I thought Pirate Encampments has been scrapped now with their new "roadmap" for dedication for the MP now instead, is this still coming?

Pirate encampments can be a random thing on the islands they spawn in random places and not the same place over and over. 

7 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

One unclaimable, unbuildable island per grid, with a resource or two not found elsewhere on that grid. Have the WPE inhabit and patrol this island.

Risking life and ship for those resources / pirate loot would be something worth doing.

This ☝️

5 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

They can already add islands without a wipe, so adding stuff to that island wouldn't be a problem. So your non constructive effort wasn't even valid "who knew?"

They cannot add these islands without a wipe - as their stated intent was for those new islands to replace existing islands.   (to remove copy paste maps) Now if that be a relocation wipe, server wipe or atlas wipe - they have not committed.   If you replace an island with another - that requires a wipe - you obviously cannot have the old/new islands in the same place.  And even if you put a new island in a new place - you still have to wipe the old island because that is their intent to delete old copy paste islands.

2 hours ago, vackillers said:

I thought Pirate Encampments has been scrapped now with their new "roadmap" for dedication for the MP now instead, is this still coming?

WPE is a way to add content to fresh servers and dead servers in the MMO, it slows the onrush of claiming, but it also increases player retention with PVE content to fight once someone rage quits and frees up an island.   Do you really think they would be developing it only for solos and unofficials?  Some people may have misinterpreted their delay in testing WPE as scrapping it....they are not familar with this teams habit of announcing stuff months before it is ready.

I like the idea of lawless becoming permanent WPE....I have to agree with those who think if they cannot get treasure map AI to work, do you really think killing off the last WPE so you can claim is ever going to work.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, krazmuze said:

They cannot add these islands without a wipe - as their stated intent was for those new islands to replace existing islands.   (to remove copy paste maps) Now if that be a relocation wipe, server wipe or atlas wipe - they have not committed.   If you replace an island with another - that requires a wipe - you obviously cannot have the old/new islands in the same place.  And even if you put a new island in a new place - you still have to wipe the old island because that is their intent to delete old copy paste islands.

WPE is a way to add content to fresh servers and dead servers in the MMO, it slows the onrush of claiming, but it also increases player retention with PVE content to fight once someone rage quits and frees up an island.   Do you really think they would be developing it only for solos and unofficials?  Some people may have misinterpreted their delay in testing WPE as scrapping it....they are not familar with this teams habit of announcing stuff months before it is ready.

I like the idea of lawless becoming permanent WPE....I have to agree with those who think if they cannot get treasure map AI to work, do you really think killing off the last WPE so you can claim is ever going to work.

9 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

There is no point in doing WPE on the official servers as they're designed right now.  It's a one-off game mechanic assuming the servers are even reasonably (not even fully) loaded.  Any island someone would actually want to claim will be claimed, and if that claim runs out, someone else will be waiting in the wings to grab it.  The idea of using them on unclaimable islands with a rare resource is a good one, and doesn't require a wipe.

Since WPE are for claimable islands, it only makes sense for single player as just something else to do.  Claiming doesn't matter there.  It's really just for dedicated servers.

If they wipe the official servers to bring a mechanic which will only matter for a couple weeks, it would be probably the worst decision they've made so far.    SystemError is partly right - if they announce a wipe to add a ridiculous game mechanic, people will leave en masse,  because they've been wiped, but even more because the devs will have proven they can't be trusted to produce a decent game.

The only kind of wipe which doesn't start a mass exodus is one that is bringing lots of really good things to the game - things good enough to overcome people losing all their claims, buildings, tames, ships, levels, discovery points, quest completions, etc.  We haven't seen any ideas that good yet.

You are missing the point, it is useful on an MMO that has the potential to start dying (like the attrition it has had since release).   Yes if it is always successful there will never be any WPE on official beyond the start.   But when players start rage quitting because they do not like some stupid change (which has a history of happening with these devs) - that downward spiral is slowed because once the first players leave - there is some new repeatable PVE content to do for those who remain - without that they would leave too leading to complete server death. 

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

The only kind of wipe which doesn't start a mass exodus is one that is bringing lots of really good things to the game - things good enough to overcome people losing all their claims, buildings, tames, ships, levels, discovery points, quest completions, etc.  We haven't seen any ideas that good yet.

Unfortunately you don’t understand that everyone has already left. There is no such thing as a mass exodus anymore.

other pc players that left already are waiting for the console players to come and then rejoin. Console players are waiting for a wipe.

the long lost hardcore people that are left to be honest are even wanting the wipe judged by the views and comments of the stream. If there wasn’t going to be a wipe then Dollie would have shut them down on the stream. You need to realize this launch has to be successful, if not they are screwed, but they will have the worst rep in history.

even ark with its success left a bad taste in their mouths. Now with the pc launch of atlas they actually do look like jokes right now. If they pawn off a second hand game to Xbox the reviewers are going to have a field day. Steam reviews won’t even matter compared to all of the negative you tube and gaming website reviews. This will be done for very quickly. Total failure to be honest if they don’t wipe. I mean serious stupidity at that point 

Edited by Realist

22 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

You are missing the point, it is useful on an MMO that has the potential to start dying (like the attrition it has had since release).   Yes if it is always successful there will never be any WPE on official beyond the start.   But when players start rage quitting because they do not like some stupid change (which has a history of happening with these devs) - that downward spiral is slowed because once the first players leave - there is some new repeatable PVE content to do for those who remain - without that they would leave too leading to complete server death.

I really don’t see it as useful. I do see a reason for a wipe because I wipe is the only thing we have seen on steam charts to bring anyone back.

here is the funny thing. Regardless of the Xbox release, the only time we have seen any player growth on steam within almost a year was when the wipe happened.

know why? People thought they had a chance lol they didn’t of course, but they thought they did. Once Xbox releases they will think they have a chance. They don’t. You will soon see numbers drop very quickly again.

this is only grapeshots fault and theirs alone. They wanted to revive pc servers but that will be their downfall for being so stupid in the first place.

they tried to favor pc with ark but now they have crossplay with Xbox. Now Xbox is actually favored which is awesome.

either way, crossplay is just as much of a gimmick as making the biggest map, with the most possibilities on that map.

these guys tried to do something new and they are failing at it. There is no more potential because we see how everything is going.

gotta make that money right guys?

Edited by Realist

Ahahaha yarr! did the Troll get you again...?!?!
FYI WPE is not for the Official network but for SinglePlayer and NonDets so you have some PVPishPVE... as has been said all along...
But of course the Troll has hijacked his own thread... again...

"WPE can only work with a wipe, no claims, no gold, no PVP and everything I always said... WPE is proof that I am right..."

But as anyone with knowledge of the situation knows, there will be no WPEs on official... but a random spawn of just one RPE on one of the PVP servers... it will be super fun... lots of PVE RP buildings and tames, some ships at anchor to pillage on a random lawless island... not much defense though, because the RPE-King cannot be bothered to farm some gold for defense... therefore unfortunately just a low level event...:pirate_mask::skull:

Some of those comments ought to come with a crazy speculation and bad data analysis warning.

7 hours ago, Realist said:

other pc players that left already are waiting for the console players to come and then rejoin. Console players are waiting for a wipe.

Maybe a handful of pvp players looking for somebody to gank.   Is there some other large group somewhere all excited about getting to play with xbobs?  If so, please post links.   Or is this just you, contemplating the adoration and anticipation of thousands of players just waiting for you to join the game?    I don't know where you come up with some of this stuff.

the long lost hardcore people that are left to be honest are even wanting the wipe judged by the views and comments of the stream. If there wasn’t going to be a wipe then Dollie would have shut them down on the stream.

Yeah, those 3 guys you quoted from the stream are a massive crowd.

here is the funny thing. Regardless of the Xbox release, the only time we have seen any player growth on steam within almost a year was when the wipe happened.

You keep saying this when it's clearly not true.

Steam numbers in Feb. - 11,385

Steam numbers in March when a wipe is announced - 3,029

8356 people left the game when the wipe was announced.

Steam numbers post wipe -April - 5736

You think that number shows that 2707 new people started playing the game because they liked the wipe.  What it really shows is that after the wipe, only 2700 out of 8356 people came back because they didn't want to start over, didn't like the new claim system, or had given up on GS being able to produce a decent game.

Player wipes do not improve player numbers.  That wipe killed the server population, and it's never recovered from it.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1