Sign in to follow this  
Elmo

The Discord post stream chat with Dollie

41 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Let them question. What people say and what they actually do are more often than not different things. It’s called working the refs. You loudly insist that if you don’t get your way, you won’t buy the game or you will quit the game. I’ve been watching gamers do this for 15 years, it’s not new. It’s also complete garbage as an actual indicator of behavior.

You  personally want a wipe badly and absolutely nobody here believes you would fail to buy the game if one didn’t happen. If you’re gonna buy it anyway, why should anyone put a lot of stock in others making similar claims on Twitter, where we all know people are always truthful.

The funny thing is he completely fails to mention that the devs have said the xbox release will definitely be delayed until sometime in 2020, and performance and new content are being prioritized ahead of it.  They're doing that because all the existing players will quit if they don't.

Didn't you hear that too?  I'm sure I heard them say that.  😉

• Like 1

What? I heard them say that they are now going to wait for the next Xbob console to hit because it just doesn't make sense to release it now. XBone 2 is slated for holiday 2020 release. So at least another year. Also they think the tech will have evolved on pc by then, so no wipe needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Xbone and ps4 currently, then next-gen (lol poor current gen) consoles next quarter.

There is a forbs articles about it, crossplayer between all the consoles is the watershed moment in gaming.

This is a momentous task, and many important things need to be taken into Account, so that we can all get what we wanted, looking at the big picture of saving the game. I will always support, and have always supported*, however like you guys I'm still worried about how successful the launch will b, but I will remain hopeful that crossplay will be that moment we all wanted.

All content / balance / communication will be coming shortly after this however that's all we can confirm (for now, more info coming soon, it's exciting 😉 )

Edited by eeeceee

5 minutes ago, Realist said:

Well in order to do that we would have to have an answer boomer. That horse is still alive while we are running around trying to kill it.

if we had an answer and we were still talking about it then yeah that would be beating a dead horse. Some times the only way to get an answer is pressure.

even if I agreed to stop there would still be 100’s of others talking about it. That is just what happens when there is a hot issue. This isn’t the first time in history something has been talked about on multiple occasions.

to be honest, CNN talked about the fake Russia hoax for over two years. Now that is beating a dead horse

*Stops talking and shoots Realist in the face with a bazooka for bringing up politics.*

Saying I can do it because someone else did it once is never a good argument to fall back on. You have an answer, it’s just not an answer you like so you continue to stir the pot. The devs have said clearly that whether there will be a wipe or not will be based upon technical factors and thus they don’t yet know if it’s necessary. At this point assertions to the contrary as Khan’s appears to be, are baseless speculation and rumormongering.

I can’t see hundreds of others talking about it, possibly because I long ago decided Twitter was not even close to worth my time. (There is peer reviewed research that suggests social media users are both less well informed and less happier with their lives than  those that do not.) What I can see is you and a few others here endlessly campaigning for a thing despite the devs having said that their decision will not be based on the things you think it ought to.

22 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

*Stops talking and shoots Realist in the face with a bazooka for bringing up politics.*

Saying I can do it because someone else did it once is never a good argument to fall back on. You have an answer, it’s just not an answer you like so you continue to stir the pot. The devs have said clearly that whether there will be a wipe or not will be based upon technical factors and thus they don’t yet know if it’s necessary. At this point assertions to the contrary as Khan’s appears to be, are baseless speculation and rumormongering.

I can’t see hundreds of others talking about it, possibly because I long ago decided Twitter was not even close to worth my time. (There is peer reviewed research that suggests social media users are both less well informed and less happier with their lives than  those that do not.) What I can see is you and a few others here endlessly campaigning for a thing despite the devs having said that their decision will not be based on the things you think it ought to.

Currently watching the stream right now and the one guy said “let’s face it, there is going to need to be a wipe” and she almost agreed but stopped herself. 

She also never said only for technical reasons lol. She said largely due to technical reasons. Meaning there are other reasons. You could hear it in her voice she knows.

• Haha 1

"She" also said that you're an end user, not a gamer.

Noob.

Bob?

😉

edit: put quotation marks around the "she"....... wow man

Edited by eeeceee

Actually the stream was pretty good. I liked that Dollie said that the claim system is faulty(lol some people thought it was fine, nope.) even if we don’t see the complete removal of the faulty claim system, I am pretty sure they will get rid of the gold upkeep since that was a pretty dumb idea to begin with.

the other thing I liked was that they will be working on getting rid of total wipes whether it be by making building indestructible in order to keep pvp water based, or simply making things like and indestructible vault where you can keep all of your best stuff so people can’t take it.

loving these ideas. 

Edited by Realist
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Realist said:

Currently watching the stream right now and the one guy said “let’s face it, there is going to need to be a wipe” and she almost agreed but stopped herself. 

She also never said only for technical reasons lol. She said largely due to technical reasons. Meaning there are other reasons. You could hear it in her voice she knows.

You don’t know whether she almost agreed. You only know she almost said something and stopped. To you it appears as though she was about to agree, but only Dollie knows what she was about to say. This is common observation bias, taking something non confirmational and assigning things to it which are subjective and confirm what you want. Same goes for hearing it in her voice. These are non fact based things that continue to promote rumors of a wipe in direct contradiction to official statements. It is still you interpreting something subjectively in a way that runs contrary to actual statements.

27 minutes ago, Realist said:

Actually the stream was pretty good. I liked that Dollie said that the claim system is faulty(lol some people thought it was fine, nope.) even if we don’t see the complete removal of the faulty claim system, I am pretty sure they will get rid of the gold upkeep since that was a pretty dumb idea to begin with.

the other thing I liked was that they will be working on getting rid of total wipes whether it be by making building indestructible in order to keep pvp water based, or simply making things like and indestructible vault where you can keep all of your best stuff so people can’t take it.

loving these ideas. 

Also a fan of these ideas.

19 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

You don’t know whether she almost agreed. You only know she almost said something and stopped. To you it appears as though she was about to agree, but only Dollie knows what she was about to say. This is common observation bias, taking something non confirmational and assigning things to it which are subjective and confirm what you want. Same goes for hearing it in her voice. These are non fact based things that continue to promote rumors of a wipe in direct contradiction to official statements. It is still you interpreting something subjectively in a way that runs contrary to actual statements.

Also a fan of these ideas.

Even further in the stream when they brought up the wipe again all of the man company people were saying it needed to happen and these are the people still playing.

one guys even said “ok ok guys, no need to get Dollie or jat in trouble. I think we all already know what’s going to happen” all of the others were saying “yeah that’s true”.

that discord is putting out more “rumors” than I ever could. I don’t see how anyone could walk away after watching that and not know what’s happening.

but yeah those were some very good ideas. Also addressing the grind will be good as well. The main thing they need to do is get rid of another stupid idea which was having multiple types of a resource such as wood. Very dumb idea, which I think they also realize. Making less material  and types of materials needed will be a good change that I am pretty sure they will make.

Yeah, less resource types, no claims, no upkeep, no wipes (lol??), no more destroying MY stuff because it's in MY indestructible vault, pretty sure this is a good change THUMBS UP!! :)

Edited by eeeceee

5 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

Yeah, less resource types, no claims, no upkeep, no wipes (lol??), no more destroying MY stuff because it's in MY indestructible vault, pretty sure this is a good change THUMBS UP!! 🙂

Yeah it would actually make atlas a good game if they could make those changes 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Realist said:

40 minutes ago, Realist said:

Even further in the stream when they brought up the wipe again all of the man company people were saying it needed to happen and these are the people still playing.

one guys even said “ok ok guys, no need to get Dollie or jat in trouble. I think we all already know what’s going to happen” all of the others were saying “yeah that’s true”.

If I'm adding them up right, it looks like that "wipe confirmation" was 3 players saying they wanted a wipe.  Through the transformative properties of wishful thinking, we get that translated into "definite wipe per Dollie" on the forums.

I am really hoping that GS takes into account the track records of logical thinking on the part of people urging them to do a complete wipe, all servers, all data.  Would you take advice from someone making these kinds of conclusions?  I wouldn't.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Realist said:

that discord is putting out more “rumors” than I ever could. I don’t see how anyone could walk away after watching that and not know what’s happening.

but yeah those were some very good ideas. Also addressing the grind will be good as well. The main thing they need to do is get rid of another stupid idea which was having multiple types of a resource such as wood. Very dumb idea, which I think they also realize. Making less material  and types of materials needed will be a good change that I am pretty sure they will make.

No, not all agreed. I don't.

And is this another stupid idea to make the game as boring as possible? Less resouce-types? You want it all and instant without farming and building? And then, when you spawned all instant, what are you doing the whole day long?

1 hour ago, Realist said:

loving these ideas. 

I may not be native english speaker like you are, but I honestly think she didn't said what you are saying she said.

49 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

No, not all agreed. I don't.

And is this another stupid idea to make the game as boring as possible? Less resouce-types? You want it all and instant without farming and building? And then, when you spawned all instant, what are you doing the whole day long?

Pvp.

hey Dollie is the one that said they are making is less grindy. The only way to do that is to grind less lol

hey I am all for making everything only 1/2 the cost of what is normally is as the change. Either way one is going to happen because one of their main focuses is less grind

The variety of resources within a type is actually one of the things about Atlas that I love and consider innovative. It serves a useful purpose. Instead of, as in Ark, needing insane quantities of mats to craft higher tiers of gear, you need additional numbers of kinds of mats within the same category. This imo makes higher tier crafting more interesting as it requires either travel or trade from different biomes to gather the needed resources. This encourages, travel, exploration and trade, threevthings Atlas was originally supposed to be about. @Realist, since you aren’t playing yet and can’t experience how this works in practice, and you’re already someone who doesn’t care about exploration and trade, it’s not hard to see why you don’t care much for this design aspect, but I think it’s great and I hope they keep it.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

The variety of resources within a type is actually one of the things about Atlas that I love and consider innovative. It serves a useful purpose. Instead of, as in Ark, needing insane quantities of mats to craft higher tiers of gear, you need additional numbers of kinds of mats within the same category. This imo makes higher tier crafting more interesting as it requires either travel or trade from different biomes to gather the needed resources. This encourages, travel, exploration and trade, threevthings Atlas was originally supposed to be about. @Realist, since you aren’t playing yet and can’t experience how this works in practice, and you’re already someone who doesn’t care about exploration and trade, it’s not hard to see why you don’t care much for this design aspect, but I think it’s great and I hope they keep it.

Sounds good to me. I am fine with you liking or disliking something as well as anyone else. I gave my opinion and people are not fine with it which is cool too. I am used to it by now.

yeah it doesn’t really matter if I have played the game or not. I already know what I like and what I dislike. No amount of game play will change that. So what is going to happen is I will get the game, I will play the game, then I will come back here and say the same stuff. The only difference will be by then they will actually have to argue about it instead of leaning on the usual dull “you don’t play”. But yeah, I am a set in my ways kind of guy so I wouldn’t be expecting anything to change.

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

Sounds good to me. I am fine with you liking or disliking something as well as anyone else. I gave my opinion and people are not fine with it which is cool too. I am used to it by now.

yeah it doesn’t really matter if I have played the game or not. I already know what I like and what I dislike. No amount of game play will change that. So what is going to happen is I will get the game, I will play the game, then I will come back here and say the same stuff. The only difference will be by then they will actually have to argue about it instead of leaning on the usual dull “you don’t play”. But yeah, I am a set in my ways kind of guy so I wouldn’t be expecting anything to change.

Actually when the game first launched I didn’t get it for a bit myself, and I was actually playing. It’s not immediately obvious why they would do things this way until you step back and look at what this kind of design encourages. With your stated preferences as a gamer, I honestly don’t see it impacting you much either way unless you are playing pvp, building defenses, and they don’t decide to make buildings indestructible but do decide to boost higher tier crafted structures a lot in order to make them useful in pvp. Under those unlikely circumstances, it might matter to you, but that’s a highly specific scenario. If you just like to build tame and breed, the mat thing won’t impact you much. It mostly impacts gear and ships.

Between all those rumors you guys forgot the Most Important thing it seems. They definitly Said that they were going to Give me Jats hat And all agreed.

• Haha 1

please dont hate me. sorry mateys.

they already have most of the pc money. smart move is to do whatever they can to sell the most xbone copies (wipe).

hopefully after the xbone holiday money at least a few wonderful artists will stick around to complete this amazing project.

fingers crossboned.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

Or every time a XBob starts a new Bob just to be ultra sure no Realist is left behind...?!?!

#noRealistleftbehind

Lol awesome

45 minutes ago, MOTIK said:

please dont hate me. sorry mateys.

they already have most of the pc money. smart move is to do whatever they can to sell the most xbone copies (wipe).

hopefully after the xbone holiday money at least a few wonderful artists will stick around to complete this amazing project.

fingers crossboned.

Please see my previous posts in the thread as to why this is a fallacious argument. The short version is that

A) vast majority of Xbox players will not even be aware of whether the game has been wiped or not, making it irrelevant to their purchase decision.

B) Of those aware and agitating for a wipe, claims they won’t buy are dubious at best because of a long established pattern of empty threats like this by gamers that have played out over many games for years. What people say they will do and what they actually do vary wildly.

C) Arguing that “they already have most of the pc money” treats Atlas like a stand alone one time purchase game, which MMO’s almost never are. GC has already made it clear they will need a cash shop at some point down the road to generate ongoing revenue which MMO’s require because they involve ongoing development costs. Alienating your existing playerbase that has already proven willing to stick with the game through thick and thin in order to placate a group who *might* buy your game and stick around, or might not, is not exactly smart business planing.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

C) Arguing that “they already have most of the pc money” treats Atlas like a stand alone one time purchase game, which MMO’s almost never are. GC has already made it clear they will need a cash shop at some point down the road to generate ongoing revenue which MMO’s require because they involve ongoing development costs. Alienating your existing playerbase that has already proven willing to stick with the game through thick and thin in order to placate a group who *might* buy your game and stick around, or might not, is not exactly smart business planing.

The argument that GS has collected PC money and now doesn't give a fig about PC players because it's after xbox money is too simple, and doesn't take into account all the factors that play into this.  It only considers a timeline that's a few months out, when, if this game is going to be successful, somebody's got to take a much longer view than that.  You can only play the xbox trick once.  Then what?

In addition to Boomer's future cash shop point, it should also be said that games like this require  a certain base number of players to succeed.  After an initial rush from a new market, nobody is going to join the game if they find out there are only 100 people on the servers and they never see another single player ever.  Xbox players are as fickle as anyone else.  Many of them will speed through all the content and/or get annoyed about something and  leave, and if there aren't enough players left to generate critical mass, then new players won't join the empty servers.  It's just as important to build a decent base of long term players as it is to launch a one-time marketing push.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

The argument that GS has collected PC money and now doesn't give a fig about PC players because it's after xbox money is too simple, and doesn't take into account all the factors that play into this.  It only considers a timeline that's a few months out, when, if this game is going to be successful, somebody's got to take a much longer view than that.  You can only play the xbox trick once.  Then what?

In addition to Boomer's future cash shop point, it should also be said that games like this require  a certain base number of players to succeed.  After an initial rush from a new market, nobody is going to join the game if they find out there are only 100 people on the servers and they never see another single player ever.  Xbox players are as fickle as anyone else.  Many of them will speed through all the content and/or get annoyed about something and  leave, and if there aren't enough players left to generate critical mass, then new players won't join the empty servers.  It's just as important to build a decent base of long term players as it is to launch a one-time marketing push.

The problem is there isn’t a decent base of long term players. Even 20k isn’t a decent base. 1500 sure isn’t as well