keat

Mermaids...

I cannot tell you how many times I've lost a farming boat to a mermaid. 

Before anyone says get good, I use grapple all the time when a mermaid sings. Thats not the problem, the problem is that theres literally 0 point for it to be in the game at all. Being that the most common way you fight Ghost ships is to use rear cannons. I usually open / close my handling sails to accelerate/decelerate. This is the 3rd time while i've closed sails and instantly get mermaided'. Now this wouldn't be too bad if you could counter it with something. But using a grapple keeps you on the boat and near your wheel but if you try to grab the wheel, you access the inventory of said wheel. Like what!? I'm all for the devs of this game but when they relaunch this game to xbox and they're getting pulled of boats and losing ships for 00000 reward. Its the dumbest event in the game by far.

Let me give an example, You are grinding boss mobs in some other MMO and they hit pretty hard. Midway while you're fighting these high level mobs a unicorn poops on the ground and you have to walk over and pick up the poop before you can continue fighting the mobs, BUT! By the time you get to the poop from the magical unicorn, The mobs have done enough damage to Delete the gear that took you 30 minutes to farm, and 10 hours to upgrade. What a great mechanic to add to the game. And if you can pickup the poop fast enough and dont lose your gear because you're a meta slave with 400% resistance on your armor you will get 28 salt from your home island... 

Come on. This event just dumb think about it.

I could make 15 other posts about Tornados and how annoying / boring / taxing they can be but I wont. 

Edited by keat
Removing the swearing...

Wait for the case, where you fall down from the ship because of a mermaid or a glitch and you can watch your ship not stopping, just drive ahead. The amount of frustration in this moment is deluxe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keat said:

Ya, The ultimate counter just don't drive lol.

As someone who actually Kissed Any meermaid existing in the Game there are a few Things that help in Case im Not enough anymore to still their Hunger for Young sailors. First of grappling hook sucks, just press X And turn in a 90 degree angle which prevents you from Moving. Second if you happen to be as unlucky as you said And closed the sails before your one night stand just holt "T" And whistle fully Open sails. For some it seems like Magic but the Crew actually Open the sails And you can flee. If you have done everything right good Job mate, you wont get scolded by Neptun 9 month later for impregnating his daughter And having Baby Fish Pirates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never lost a ship to a mermaid.  Why?

1. Grapple to deck.

2. Hold "T" and click on "Open Sails".

Your crew opens sails and you move out of the mermaids circle of influence. 

EDIT: Doh, Zottel already covered it. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1

Fortitude actually prevents the pull alot. I run 70 fort and 100 with equalibrium buff and can just walk away from the pull np. 

23 minutes ago, seruum said:

Fortitude actually prevents the pull alot. I run 70 fort and 100 with equalibrium buff and can just walk away from the pull np. 

Fortitude the Ultimaten Stat doesnt only boost your resistance against Heat And cold, it also let you be resistant against your Most Natural instincts And sexual Cravings 🙂  so You Need to respec if they implement Baby making 😄 Seerum:" Oh honey guess whos fortitude is only at 70 tonight" XD okay i stop now,this is funnier than it should be.

Yeah, before I figured out T.. I got pulled off by one, swam over and punched it.. swam back to my ship and got back on it only to set off another mermaid where they ship stopped soo grappled myself to the mast and quickly opened the sail to full and grappled again and waited for the buff to go away as my ship sailed slowly out of the ring.  I didn't complain, I was excited that I figured out how to get away 😛 

Edited by Liatni

11 minutes ago, Liatni said:

Yeah, before I figured out T.. I got pulled off by one, swam over and punched it.. swam back to my ship and got back on it only to set off another mermaid where they ship stopped soo grappled myself to the mast and quickly opened the sail to full and grappled again and waited for the buff to go away as my ship sailed slowly out of the ring.  I didn't complain, I was excited that I figured out how to get away 😛 

I once had a Situation where i got Cought by 3 Meermaids And was where all circles were overlapping but i Wanted the Crew And the chest from that Level 60 galleon i just Killed. Was Forced to Sail out And kill them off with a carbine 😉 Crew got eaten by a Sharks tho

have easy avoid mermaids by keeping a mount close as soon as im dismounted off the wheel I jump on my animal and let the ship sail out the circle with no trouble. they are pest tho…. being I found this out by luck do to running into my first one wondering why I dismounted and stuck on my giraffe feet mounted and saw the yellow ring and debuff I had. so I never sail without  animal or two next to the wheel now

Edited by GeneralReshiram
spelling
  • Like 1

When I had to sail through mermaids for one of the blackwood powerstones. NPC at the wheel. Grapple to the ship and then T Sail the direction I'm facing.
I have a schooner named "Mermaid's Bane" has 16ish (five per side and three at the back and front)  npc mounted swivel guns. Also has half walls around the edge of the ship.
I do wish they would add a accodiand tune that stops mermaid call.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:57 PM, moozoo said:

When I had to sail through mermaids for one of the blackwood powerstones. NPC at the wheel. Grapple to the ship and then T Sail the direction I'm facing.
I have a schooner named "Mermaid's Bane" has 16ish (five per side and three at the back and front)  npc mounted swivel guns. Also has half walls around the edge of the ship.
I do wish they would add a accodiand tune that stops mermaid call.

yeah it's a pain.... grapple do work but you still run the risk of missing your shot and the ship sailing off without you. the animals will block you from moving or jumping more then long enough to sail out the circle or if you have a strong animal use it to kill the mermaid. I use a giraffe do to it's AoE. it's raised for sea travel so point are mostly in health,damage,and stam. to deal with sharks and other sea life that seem to gather up when you take down ships of the damned. This way you save ammo and avoid the risk of losing a ship completely.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:50 AM, keat said:

I cannot tell you how many times I've lost a farming boat to a mermaid. 

Before anyone says get good, I use grapple all the time when a mermaid sings. Thats not the problem, the problem is that theres literally 0 point for it to be in the game at all. Being that the most common way you fight Ghost ships is to use rear cannons. I usually open / close my handling sails to accelerate/decelerate. This is the 3rd time while i've closed sails and instantly get mermaided'. Now this wouldn't be too bad if you could counter it with something. But using a grapple keeps you on the boat and near your wheel but if you try to grab the wheel, you access the inventory of said wheel. Like what!? I'm all for the devs of this game but when they relaunch this game to xbox and they're getting pulled of boats and losing ships for 00000 reward. Its the dumbest event in the game by far.

Let me give an example, You are grinding boss mobs in some other MMO and they hit pretty hard. Midway while you're fighting these high level mobs a unicorn poops on the ground and you have to walk over and pick up the poop before you can continue fighting the mobs, BUT! By the time you get to the poop from the magical unicorn, The mobs have done enough damage to Delete the gear that took you 30 minutes to farm, and 10 hours to upgrade. What a great mechanic to add to the game. And if you can pickup the poop fast enough and dont lose your gear because you're a meta slave with 400% resistance on your armor you will get 28 salt from your home island... 

Come on. This event just dumb think about it.

I could make 15 other posts about Tornados and how annoying / boring / taxing they can be but I wont. 

are you aware this is a survival game?

On 9/18/2019 at 8:16 AM, Forb Hidden said:

Wait for the case, where you fall down from the ship because of a mermaid or a glitch and you can watch your ship not stopping, just drive ahead. The amount of frustration in this moment is deluxe.

last time i checked your ship would stop if you fell from it? did that change?

Edited by The D Legacy

it'll only stop if you fell off with no one on the wheel. tested it a few times and seems having a npc at the wheel sometimes cause the ship to keep sailing without you. I even know the lvl cap of animal is 79 that gains, 80 or above gain no xp. They lvl above this just can't be tamed at or above lvl 80 or the game xp locks them. im hoping this just a temp thing until the game is more flushed out and ready or animals that are tame are screwed in placed that are hard. Only way for them to live right now if pumping health,stam,and damage with little carry weight.

pc player here. Gonna blow your minds. Lay down and the mermaids are harmless.  Doesnt matter your fortitude, laying down will prevent you from jumping and you have mostly control to either hold yourself locked into position or move around slowly wherever you wish. wait the 15 seconds the mermaid is trying to pull you off the wheel and then just get back on the wheel

• Like 1

You can also build a steering platform with railings around it that isn't on the top deck. I've never been pulled off any of my ships with this design. 

True on the laying down on pc but it's tougher to do fast if you play console for now. Im sure they going to find a way to patch the emote to dodge mermaids. Just throwing a easy way of going about if they patch the ways we use to get by them. The problem with railing or walling a ship is if it's too high you are forced into first person wheel view. I tend to just kill them. Would be cool to get a item called mermaid tear that give you temp waterbreathing.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:34 AM, Sydhart said:

You can also build a steering platform with railings around it that isn't on the top deck. I've never been pulled off any of my ships with this design. 

Never heard of this. I usually put the wheel on the top deck or one deck higher that I make and if you put a ceiling over it, I think it forces you to first person. I like my wheel up high because to restore vitamins, I go off the wheel and look around in first person and dance. This uses stamina and then food so I can eat and restore vitamins. If my wheel was in a position where first person view can not see around, then I could not dance next to the wheel.

Wat.

I can understand the concept of mermaids being a mild annoyance, but losing a ship to them? How would you lose one, much less multiple? 

Also, who gets pulled off of a ship by one, ever?

This thread...

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Atreties said:

Wat.

I can understand the concept of mermaids being a mild annoyance, but losing a ship to them? How would you lose one, much less multiple? 

This thread...

I've never seen one, so I never have, but friends got pulled off. I think one died, but they did not lose the ship.

I think the idea of a counter tune played on the accordion is a good one. If they do introduce human breeding in the future I hope that will include mermaid hybrids.

Edited by Whitehawk

On 12/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, Atreties said:

Wat.

This thread...

Then you must have you game on easy or rarely sailing into a hard zone... because it's easy to lose a boat if you caught unprepared. That seems to have happened to a lot of players or this thread wouldn't exist. It's just a thread asking for tips on how to counter them.

Edited by GeneralReshiram