Sign in to follow this  
alessandro

wipe is confirmed?

1 hour ago, HighwaymanEd said:

I’m playing on NA PvE and I’m expecting a wipe, and frankly, bring it on.

I’m not taking any sides in this debate of if there will or if there won’t, but I’m for it, my little group and I (4 of us) have been sailing around and around looking for a half decent sub 45 island to claim for over a month. Sure some things are decaying, but I can still see clans owning several islands spread throughout the map. I think it would be more than unfair to introduce console players into a map with little but scraps, cast offs and the unwanted islands with little to offer being available. Of course they could always live in lawless until some numbskull comes along and surrounds their base with pillars and buoys until they get frustrated and leave... oh wait, that was us...

Well, I disagree with some of eeeceee's response to you, and I'm no fan of the current claim system.  The current claim system means that it's impossible for *everyone* to have a claim, and the devs intend that some of the players are going to be settlers on someone else's claim.  A wipe wont' fix this, that's just musical chairs.

Having said that, I think it's funny that only someone who hasn't played the game has liked your comment, and eeeceee has fallen into the trap of assuming that what you say is true, while my first reaction was "How can that be true with such a small server population?"  So I went into the game and had a look at the Atlas.

First, with a company of 4, I'm not sure why you set yourselves up with a restriction of of sub 45, because there are islands at 46 points, just one point above that.  One point is a meaningless distinction.  (You also have many more points to use, so even 46pts. is kind of a low bar).  So, looking at the Atlas quickly, here are the claimable islands I found.  (I tried to exclude freeports, lawless and other unclaimable areas without spending a ton of time on this, so you may find one or two errors)

A - 1, 3, 13, 14, 15

B- 1,2,3,9,15

C - 1

D - 1, 15

E - 1,2,6, 14, 15

F - 1,5,6,11,15

G - 1,12,15

H - 1,5,9,15

I - 8,12,14,15

J - 4,5,6,11,12,13

K - 6,7,10,11

N-1

O-12

Some people complain about polar, so I highlighted all that aren't in polar zones.  It looks like there are a decent amount to claim, and there's probably not a good reason to bump yourself up to the 53 pt level and add even more to the list.

It would be funny if you claimed an island on this list after looking fruitlessly for so long, only to see the devs announce a wipe because someone else also wants to play musical chairs with them.  As for Realist egging you on, you should know you have a better chance of claiming land now with a low server population than you would during a new start land rush.  Until and unless they change the claim system again, this is what we get.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 was just an arbitrary number I picked, but what do we class as a good island?

1, something that doesn’t cost too much (sure, let’s say up to 46) to maintain.

2, somewhere I can grow the crops we want to cook with.

3, somewhere on the boundary between a few biomes to mix up the resources within a couple of grids

4, somewhere that doesn’t consist of mostly 500ft rock pillars with no level(ish) land

5, somewhere that numbskulls can’t pillar spam us into a slideshow! (Not lawless)

I know we’re being picky here, but that’s what we’re hunting for and so far it’s been slim pickings, although we’ve stacked up the discovery points looking 😉

And i stand by my point, I don’t know if there will or there won’t be a wipe, and reading between the lines and arguing the points is futile, but would I be against it if it happened? Not at all. I have a list of about 15 islands we’ll be gunning for if there is and sure, I’d like the devs to know what we’re thinking. Hell, I’d even be in favor of them polling the community to see what we think.

Edited by HighwaymanEd
  • Like 2

45 was just an arbitrary number I picked, but what do we class as a good island?

3, somewhere on the boundary between a few biomes to mix up the resources within a couple of grids

4, somewhere that doesn’t consist of mostly 500ft rock pillars with no level(ish) land

5, somewhere that numbskulls can’t pillar spam us into a slideshow! (Not lawless)

I know we’re being picky here, but that’s what we’re hunting for and so far it’s been slim pickings, although we’ve stacked up the discovery points looking 😉

And i stand by my point, I don’t know if there will or there won’t be a wipe, and reading between the lines and arguing the points is futile, but would I be against it if it happened? Not at all. I have a list of about 15 islands we’ll be gunning for if there is and sure, I’d like the devs to know what we’re thinking. Hell, I’d even be in favor of them polling the community to see what we think.

If I were you, I'd go even a little bit higher on points for a 4 person company.  After you get going on maps, the gold is not a problem at all.  As for your other points:

2.  I don't think there's any biome where you can grow everything.  Now that we have ice, stuff will keep a very long time in a bag, especially cooked food.  Grow and harvest what you can wherever you end up and sail for the rest.  It turns out to also not be a very big deal.

3.  Nice to have...hard to get with the rest of your restrictions.

4.  Yep.  Absolutely.  Don't know why they made islands like that in the first place.

5.  That's a given, considering that we've been talking about claims.

You are being kind of picky, but everybody's got a wishlist for their perfect island.  I think back when claims were being reworked, we counted up the number of claimable islands and compared that to the population of a decently loaded server, and we were estimating that only about 1/3 or so of the players were going to even get to have any claim of any sort. (and many of those would have to be in bigger companies)  If you start with that, then reduce it by the percent in your price range, then add in the other restrictions, you'd probably have @ a 2% chance of getting that after a wipe with a full serverload of players starting at the same time.  Big companies can claim smaller islands, and often do, and they have prearranged tactics to do that during a land rush.  You'd be amazed how quickly they can do this.

I'd say your best chance of getting most of what you want is right now, with a dwindling population and little to no competition, and more islands becoming unclaimed every day.

• Like 2

Really hoping they decide to get rid of the trash claim system all together. I am already going to pay for the game. I don’t want to pay in game for land. Smh

i think they realize it is crap. Build anywhere would be a lot better.

33 minutes ago, Realist said:

i think they realize it is crap. Build anywhere would be a lot better.

- you think too much... it works and stays...

- so you will be in lawless...? You can build anywhere (apart from the foundation spam) and we can raid you anytime we want... win/win...😋

11 minutes ago, Sheepshooter said:

- you think too much... it works and stays...

- so you will be in lawless...? You can build anywhere (apart from the foundation spam) and we can raid you anytime we want... win/win...😋

Nah.

wipe=pvp

no wipe=pve

Wipe or No Wipe

ATLAS has no heart, it's a concept rushed into a playable format, but has no heart. 

EVE Online has it right.

It's heart is Money.

You can grind away doing missions of all sorts to get money, blueprints, etc.
You can mine away resources and sell em, or craft it into things you can sell.
You can steal/pirate.
Your incentive for fighting is Money, access to better resources for making better/bigger ships/weapons.
Your incentive for staying alive and working as a well coordinated team and surviving, is so you can hold onto your money.
Your ego costs money, potentially all of it.

In ATLAS, all you have is an ego.
I've got a great big pair of balls so I'm going to do this aggressive thing over here because I can, and if I fail, oh well I can have everything replaced easy peazy. There is no loss, special content is locked behind Boss Fights, blueprints are simply luck of the RNG gods, grinding away until you get lucky and finding white/green BP's that take the least amount of resources but have insanely high rolls, and then crafting those with your INT sets to build common/green ships that fight the plebs blue/purple/gold ships and mop the seabed with them.

THERE IS NO INCENTIVE FOR ANYTHING IN ATLAS.

Nothing has value in the game. The Driving force for any action is simply boredom.

No Wipe can fix that.

Edited by Inigo
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Wipe or No Wipe

ATLAS has no heart, it's a concept rushed into a playable format, but has no heart. 

EVE Online has it right.

It's heart is Money.

You can grind away doing missions of all sorts to get money, blueprints, etc.
You can mine away resources and sell em, or craft it into things you can sell.
You can steal/pirate.
Your incentive for fighting is Money, access to better resources for making better/bigger ships/weapons.
Your incentive for staying alive and working as a well coordinated team and surviving, is so you can hold onto your money.
Your ego costs money, potentially all of it.

In ATLAS, all you have is an ego.
I've got a great big pair of balls so I'm going to do this aggressive thing over here because I can, and if I fail, oh well I can have everything replaced easy peazy. There is no loss, special content is locked behind Boss Fights, blueprints are simply luck of the RNG gods, grinding away until you get lucky and finding white/green BP's that take the least amount of resources but have insanely high rolls, and then crafting those with your INT sets to build common/green ships that fight the plebs blue/purple/gold ships and mop the seabed with them.

THERE IS NO INCENTIVE FOR ANYTHING IN ATLAS.

Nothing has value in the game. The Driving force for any action is simply boredom.

No Wipe can fix that.

The heart Atlas doesn't have should be piracy. It's supposed to be a pirate/fantasy game. Based on posts here and conversations ingame, about 80 to 90% of the folks who were interested in Atlas were interested in being pirates. Some hated the fantasy part, some were cool with it, but everyone wants to be a pirate. What's the defining act of piracy? Attacking merchant shipping and making off with loot. Can you do this in Atlas, a supposedly pirate oriented game? 

No.

That is the heart that is missing.

Also, great post.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

I liked Worlds Adrifts take on piracy, if you could intercept or ambush someone elses ship, and kill them and destroy their spawn beacons(I.E Beds), the ship was yours, provided you could put a new beacon on it to spawn with. otherwise it would just be a floating ownerless hulk if you didnt sink it. Anyone could pilot your ship, that was a game that made pirating satisfying, nothing like getting on their ship, and fighting tooth and nail, and maybe in the chaos you get ahold of the helm and pilot that badboy into the abyss.

BUT like ATLAS, it had no heart, there was no reason to explore other than to get more Blueprints, and after you got all the blueprints, what was the point? Fighting for the sake of fighting, wandering, surviving for no reason. 

It died.

Edited by Inigo
  • Like 1

I still am so puzzled when I see those little merchant ships paddling past, then I check my map to see how far away a freeport is.

Edited by eeeceee
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Merchant ships spawn because of Player Built Light houses.

They do? Never heard this. How did you figure this out? Also that’s kinda cool.

https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Lighthouse

Says as much in the description, to my understanding it also increases the render distance in proximity to the light house, when we were at war with PCA and they were war dec'ing our islands, we had 4-5 light houses along the whole shoreline to increase visibility so we could glide off our towers with barrels and grenades and intercept their ships. Good times, nothing like getting the jump on an enemy fleet and killing off their NPC crew so your boats can come in and mop up.

• Like 1

FUN FACT! If you really wanna cheez any huge company, all you need is a Schooner and about 8-9 players. 2 NPC's manning the sails, 1 guy sailing, 6-7 shooting cannons manually, and any extras repairing. Guys all spec'd into fast cannon firing, high grade cannons, blow down a harbor wall, you'll have all their ships sunk in a few minutes. Med cannons with fast reload shoot like machine guns.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

FUN FACT! If you really wanna cheez any huge company, all you need is a Schooner and about 8-9 players. 2 NPC's manning the sails, 1 guy sailing, 6-7 shooting cannons manually, and any extras repairing. Guys all spec'd into fast cannon firing, high grade cannons, blow down a harbor wall, you'll have all their ships sunk in a few minutes. Med cannons with fast reload shoot like machine guns.