Sign in to follow this  
alessandro

wipe is confirmed?

@Realist and anyone else here who has talked about a wipe as if it is a foregone conclusion, stating your personal preferences and desires as if they are facts, please take note of this OP and think about the effect your statements are having. Since the devs have stated repeatedly that they will only wipe if they feel it is needed, and no upcoming wipe has even been discussed publicly by them, let alone confirmed, where do you think the most likely source of this OP's misconception originates?

It is perfectly fine to have opinions. It is perfectly fine to express those opinions. It is perfectly fine to state what you think will/should/needs to happen. But in doing so, please be clear in your wording that you are only expressing an opinion. I have seen more than one frequent poster here declare that a wipe will happen with no factual basis or confirmation from the devs, often repeatedly. This is clearly contributing to the already less than stellar level of communication with the playerbase because people read what you say on the forums and go back ingame and spread rumors that a wipe will happen. Should they know better than to take a poster's word as fact? Undoubtedly, but when you state something so confidently as a foregone conclusion repeatedly, it's not hard to see how that contributes to confusion and misunderstanding. People think you know something they don't, and that turns into speculation and ill founded rumor.

I have made recent critical statements and even offered my own speculations as to what I think might be going on behind the scenes, but when I do so I go out of my way to make clear I am only speculating. In the interest of limiting disinformation, please be mindful of your wording in distinguishing expressing opinions vs stating facts. You might feel like you are just being more emphatic when you say "The wipe is definately gonna happen." vs "I think a wipe is necessary." but the unintended impact of your words may be greater than you think, especially if you're a highly visible poster here.  Some folks in searching for info will see you statement, see your post count, and assume you know something they don't. Preventing that requires only a minor, more honest change to the wording of your statements.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

@Realist and anyone else here who has talked about a wipe as if it is a foregone conclusion, stating your personal preferences and desires as if they are facts, please take note of this OP and think about the effect your statements are having. Since the devs have stated repeatedly that they will only wipe if they feel it is needed, and no upcoming wipe has even been discussed publicly by them, let alone confirmed, where do you think the most likely source of this OP's misconception originates?

It is perfectly fine to have opinions. It is perfectly fine to express those opinions. It is perfectly fine to state what you think will/should/needs to happen. But in doing so, please be clear in your wording that you are only expressing an opinion. I have seen more than one frequent poster here declare that a wipe will happen with no factual basis or confirmation from the devs, often repeatedly. This is clearly contributing to the already less than stellar level of communication with the playerbase because people read what you say on the forums and go back ingame and spread rumors that a wipe will happen. Should they know better than to take a poster's word as fact? Undoubtedly, but when you state something so confidently as a foregone conclusion repeatedly, it's not hard to see how that contributes to confusion and misunderstanding. People think you know something they don't, and that turns into speculation and ill founded rumor.

I have made recent critical statements and even offered my own speculations as to what I think might be going on behind the scenes, but when I do so I go out of my way to make clear I am only speculating. In the interest of limiting disinformation, please be mindful of your wording in distinguishing expressing opinions vs stating facts. You might feel like you are just being more emphatic when you say "The wipe is definately gonna happen." vs "I think a wipe is necessary." but the unintended impact of your words may be greater than you think, especially if you're a highly visible poster here.  Some folks in searching for info will see you statement, see your post count, and assume you know something they don't. Preventing that requires only a minor, more honest change to the wording of your statements.

Wow. Do not try to put that on me. As you know I do not play the game and I almost guarantee that people are talking about a wipe in game. He came here to see if it was confirmed. Don’t act like I am the father of the wipe.

i wasn’t the first and I won’t be last. I have also never said it was confirmed. I have my reasons for believing the wipe is happening and I very much think them to be right.

there is a big difference from me saying “I know the wipe is going to happen(from my own evidence gathering)”

and then someone lying and saying “yeah grapeshot just confirmed the wipe”

very big difference 

while we are on this. You seem to be completely fine with refuting my reasoning so You shouldn’t have a problem with me giving my reasoning.

people want a wipe and others don’t. If people can’t read properly that is not on me.

ok here we go, in my personal opinion I am pretty sure the wipe is going to happen. There has been no official word on the matter but from the reasoning I have came up with by myself and not with any employee of grapeshot, is that the chance of a wipe is severely high.

is that better?

edit: to be honest I do believe in my opinion that I do know things that they don’t. 

Edited by Realist

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Wow. Do not try to put that on me. As you know I do not play the game and I almost guarantee that people are talking about a wipe in game. He came here to see if it was confirmed. Don’t act like I am the father of the wipe.

i wasn’t the first and I won’t be last. I have also never said it was confirmed. I have my reasons for believe the wipe is happening and I very much think them to be right.

the is a big difference from me saying “I know the wipe is going to happen(from my own evidence gathering)”

and then someone lying and saying “yeah grapeshot just confirmed the wipe”

very big difference 

while we on on this. You seem be be completely fine with refuting my reasoning so You shouldn’t have a problem with me giving my reasoning.

people want a wipe and others don’t. If people can’t read properly that is not on me.

ok here we go, in my personal opinion I am pretty sure the wipe is going to happen. There has been no official word on the matter but from the reasoning I have came up with by myself and not with any employee of grapeshot, is that the chance of a wipe is severely high.

is that better?

Realist, how many times in posting have you said "Yeah the wipe is definitely gonna happen." or words to that effect?

And now you want to say don't put that on me? Come on man. Be accountable for what you've said.

I'm not saying you're the only source for this, note I said you weren't the only one, but you are by far the most person doing this the most visibly and repeatedly on the boards. Are there other places people could get a wrong impression? Sure, but why should we needlessly contribute to that?  Saying I never said it was confirmed isn't the point. You're stating it as a fact in the first place. Needlessly. You are right you aren't the only one, which is why comment isn't solely directed to you, but you are in a heartbeat the first person that springs to mind for this. Others have done it, but not as often, and you are one of the most visible posters here.  All I'm asking is that you be mindful of that.

I have never seen anyone post to this board the lie that "grapeshot just confirmed the wipe." What I have seen is a number of people talking about a wipe as if it is a sure thing. If people are actively lying, let's not contribute to that atmosphere by muddying the waters.

And yes that is better as long as you make it a habit and not a onetime thing. 😜

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Realist, how many times in posting have you said "Yeah the wipe is definitely gonna happen." or words to that effect?

And now you want to say don't put that on me? Come on man. Be accountable for what you've said.

I'm not saying you're the only source for this, note I said you weren't the only one, but you are by far the most person doing this the most visibly and repeatedly on the boards. Are there other places people could get a wrong impression? Sure, but why should we needlessly contribute to that?  Saying I never said it was confirmed isn't the point. You're stating it as a fact in the first place. Needlessly. You are right you aren't the only one, which is why comment isn't solely directed to you, but you are in a heartbeat the first person that springs to mind for this. Others have done it, but not as often, and you are one of the most visible posters here.  All I'm asking is that you be mindful of that.

I have never seen anyone post to this board the lie that "grapeshot just confirmed the wipe." What I have seen is a number of people talking about a wipe as if it is a sure thing. If people are actively lying, let's not contribute to that atmosphere by muddying the waters.

And yes that is better as long as you make it a habit and not a onetime thing. 😜

Ok, just for you boomer I will be more careful with my words. I guess I didn’t think about some people not being able to tell the difference from opinion and fact. It isn’t really that hard but I do have to realize not all people are able to do that.

@alessandro there is no wipe confirmed(which I never said btw). I happen to feel like there will be one and only if you ask I can give me reasoning for it. The main thing is to prepare for both possibilities, which is what everyone should be doing to be honest.

so no, don’t think the sky is falling and freak out. But just in case I would reinforce your roofing. 

• Like 1

A wipe was expected by a lot of people with the upcoming introduction of console players to Atlas. But the devs have stated they see no reason to wipe the servers for this reason. That's the long and short of the matter really. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great thats your opinion, it doesnt make it a fact...

Per the devs:

There have been many questions about whether this update will be bringing a wipe. To be frank, this is not something we’ve decided on yet. We’re currently exploring ways in which we can handle this release without wiping and there are quite a few technical considerations which may make this a possibility, but we’ll share more info with you as soon as we’re able to. Until stated otherwise i will go with no 

Edited by Luxfere

3 hours ago, Wotannatow said:

A wipe was expected by a lot of people with the upcoming introduction of console players to Atlas. But the devs have stated they see no reason to wipe the servers for this reason. That's the long and short of the matter really. 

Can you say when and where they said this? My understanding is they have not said either way, however I do not pay attention to discord or twitter, so if it was said there I would be unaware.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Can you say when and where they said this? My understanding is they have not said either way, however I do not pay attention to discord or twitter, so if it was said there I would be unaware.

Poor wording from my side. I believe Luxfere has the precise quote of the devs. 

It comes down to, as to this moment, there is no confirmation of whether or not there is going to be a wipe with the upcoming console update - yet. 

We'll be told in time, when they have news for us I'm sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luxfere said:

Great thats your opinion, it doesnt make it a fact...

Per the devs:

There have been many questions about whether this update will be bringing a wipe. To be frank, this is not something we’ve decided on yet. We’re currently exploring ways in which we can handle this release without wiping and there are quite a few technical considerations which may make this a possibility, but we’ll share more info with you as soon as we’re able to. Until stated otherwise i will go with no 

Yes, which not only implies but also reinforces that a wipe is already there. They are trying to figure out how not to wipe. If they can figure out a way then there won’t be. But it is already there. Now it is up to them to stop it.

19 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yes, which not only implies but also reinforces that a wipe is already there. They are trying to figure out how not to wipe. If they can figure out a way then there won’t be. But it is already there. Now it is up to them to stop it.

How can you take a statement that says extremely clearly we're not sure but for now until you hear otherwise go with no, and turn that into, it's a default yes unless they can figure out a way not to?

I have no idea if there will actually be a wipe or not, but that statement is not really ambiguous. They don't know for sure, but the default is no.

36 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

How can you take a statement that says extremely clearly we're not sure but for now until you hear otherwise go with no, and turn that into, it's a default yes unless they can figure out a way not to?

I have no idea if there will actually be a wipe or not, but that statement is not really ambiguous. They don't know for sure, but the default is no.

No. The default is yes.

listen to what they said. I know you can see it boomer. The were two ways they could have said that. Here:

a wipe will not be occurring unless something unforeseen happens

That would be a default no.

we are trying to find possibilities to handle the release without wiping the servers

this is a default yes.

one situation has the problem already present and they are trying to find ways to solve the problem. The first situation shows there isn’t a problem but if the problem comes it won’t be avoidable.

that should be pretty clear

Why do they need to wipe? most of the stuff should have auto-decayed by now since there are like only 150 people playing on each server.

12 hours ago, Realist said:

is that better?

edit: to be honest I do believe in my opinion that I do know things that they don’t. 

No. We've heard it all before, and you just contradict yourself, derail the discussions, etc.

I guess that makes sense, and explains your behaviour, that you think that you know things that the devs don't even know, yet they're the only ones who can possibly know, so you take it upon yourself to tell them what they are thinking and going to do.

Not sure why anybody should tolerate that.

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

Why do they need to wipe? most of the stuff should have auto-decayed by now since there are like only 150 people playing on each server.

They dont need to wipe, unless it makes sense. Have you heard anything from the devs saying that they need to? So far, they've said it makes sense to avoid a wipe if possible. The counter to your argument just by the way is that if there is only 150 people then why do we need to even ask why?

Edited by eeeceee

There isnt any reason to wipe, unless they are dropping a huge update that requires old or bugged features to be completely removed in order for it to run properly. Just wiping for the sake of wiping isnt necessary, 85+% of the map is completely empty on every server.

The main reason to expect a wipe is that it's custom to wipe and properly test new features when they get introduced. Early Access is just a type of beta test, really. However, since they have introduced the PTR (Public Test Realm) a specific platform for testing their ideas and patches before releasing to the live servers, there is no reason to do wipes - other than the reason to give players a level ground to start. I. e reset the game so that new players and old players all start over. 

But the failing numbers of active players is more than enough concern they'll want to cater to their present playerbase and not wipe. After all, there is no telling if the influx of new players with the console releae will make up for the players who would get upset by a wipe and quit - it's all about making the right risk calculations and there is no way of telling what is right and what is wrong in doing a wipe or not here. 

Only time will tell the outcome of this conundrum. 

i will only come back if they wipe when consoles release, and i know hundreds of others will come, and for the xbox players irs also a must to do a relaunch when it goes live.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Realist said:

As you know I do not play the game and I almost guarantee that people are talking about a wipe in game. 

How? There is hardly a sector that even has 2 players online at the same time..

The only thing that's clear from that statement is that they are talking about technical issues driving the decision, not, as previously stated, wiping old players simply for the benefit of new players.

As for the OP, and the forum posters that have contributed to his misconception, I'm sure if I had the time I could go back and pull many many quotes from a few people stating authoritatively that the servers would be wiped, as though they possesed inside knowledge of that.  I'm suprised no one's broken an ankle with all that backpedaling going on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

The only thing that's clear from that statement is that they are talking about technical issues driving the decision, not, as previously stated, wiping old players simply for the benefit of new players.

As for the OP, and the forum posters that have contributed to his misconception, I'm sure if I had the time I could go back and pull many many quotes from a few people stating authoritatively that the servers would be wiped, as though they possesed inside knowledge of that.  I'm suprised no one's broken an ankle with all that backpedaling going on.

Well you didn’t quote anybody so o won’t jump to any conclusions as to who you were referring to.

with that said, I still very much hold my same mentality. I haven’t done any back pedaling for the 9 months I have been here. I did say I would change my wording but that was as a favor to someone.

i did want to clarify that I never said it was confirmed, but that is because I never said that.

I’m playing on NA PvE and I’m expecting a wipe, and frankly, bring it on.

I’m not taking any sides in this debate of if there will or if there won’t, but I’m for it, my little group and I (4 of us) have been sailing around and around looking for a half decent sub 45 island to claim for over a month. Sure some things are decaying, but I can still see clans owning several islands spread throughout the map. I think it would be more than unfair to introduce console players into a map with little but scraps, cast offs and the unwanted islands with little to offer being available. Of course they could always live in lawless until some numbskull comes along and surrounds their base with pillars and buoys until they get frustrated and leave... oh wait, that was us...

Edited by HighwaymanEd
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, HighwaymanEd said:

I’m playing on NA PvE and I’m expecting a wipe, and frankly, bring it on.

Is this really helping?

I’m not taking any sides in this debate of if there will or if there won’t, but I’m for it, my little group and I (4 of us) have been sailing around and around looking for a half decent sub 45 island to claim for over a month.

Ok.... but you just stated that you're excited to see a wipe.

Sure some things are decaying, but I can still see clans owning several islands spread throughout the map.

What things are decaying? Not sub 45 pt islands? Those "clans" put in lots of effort to get those islands, and to keep them. Why do you think they have them?

I think it would be more than unfair to introduce console players into a map with little but scraps,

Seems you want a sub 45 pt island but can't find one.

cast offs and the unwanted islands with little to offer being available. Of course they could always live in lawless until some numbskull comes along and surrounds their base with pillars and buoys until they get frustrated and leave... oh wait, that was us...

There is only a few islands worth owning in the game.

I own a 15 pt island, and a 56 pt island. They are both shit. I can't get a good island, and i'm not a crybaby xbob supporter like some people appear to be, I actually joined the server about 3 hours after it went live, but I still find it easy to get anything I want, even though I don't have a 45 pt island worth owning, and play the game how I want, have fun and not grief others. I just don't own an island that is actually worth owning, a island that has rare mats and is a good spot for treasure seekers. I only own them because they look nice, get a few treasure seekers and have one rare mat which isn't in abundance so I don't really farm it.

Otherwise, lawless is the best. Nothing wrong with lawless really, except the trees that grow through your floors if you pick a bad spot to build. Nothing wrong besides the numbskulls who spam your base out of frustration at not being able to see that the game probably needs more sub 45 pt islands, and more islands worth owning.

Edited by eeeceee

Tbh atlas is more or less in a standby Modus atm. Many People Dont even Care Wether there will be a wipe or Not.They just waiting for the answer And then Act accordingly. If there will be a wipe they wait for it to happen And if Not they continue playing. Idm Either way,i just wanna See interesting threads again And Not 500 discussions of wipe And why And why Not 

• Like 4