Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

The Road Map to Nowhere

I have been thinking about this for some time now. Essentially since a few days after the livestream and the annoucement there would be no new content until after Xbox launch. I am trying to find a way in which these decisions would make sense based on what I know, or to figure out what I could be overlooking that could create a context in which they make sense. So far I have not been able to come up with anything other than what follows:

1. It's an undeniable fact that Atlas has fared poorly with PC players since it's initial very active release. It's activity numbers have gone nowhere but steadily downward with very temporary and slight upward ticks when the few new major content patches were released. These new content offerings have done little to attract new players to the game or attract inactive players back, and in the case of the torpedo there is strong anecdotal evidence that it may have actively contributed to driving pvp players from the game.

2.  This means it's a fair assumption that revenue for the game has been negligible for probably six months now. Anecdotally the number of new players who have posted to the forums during that period are few and far between compared to a healthy game's forums. After initially saying they weren't concerned about the game making money for the time being (in which case why even do EA at all? Why not just do closed testing using the old system of alphas and betas in house?), they have now announced a release to Xbox. I can come to no other conclusion than that is being done for the sake of generating revenue. Here is why:

3. If you don't need revenue but your game's reputation is mud with PC players, since XBox represents your best chance to redeem that reputation with the gaming public by introducing it to a playerbase unsullied by the game's poor reputation amongst PC gamers , it would seem obvious that you should make the game as appealing as possible in order to put your best foot forward with this new market. To wit, fix the game and add content BEFORE Xbox release, not after. Failing to do so is the definition of insanity, with which we are all familiar:

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

4. How can GrapeCard reasonably expect that Atlas will not fare poorly on Xbox if released to that platform in a state that has been roundly rejected by PC players? In so doing I believe GrapeCard has set itself on a course of squandering it's last best chance to market Atlas's potential by rushing to the platform a version of the game it has no objectively good reason to believe will fare better than it has so far on PC. Furthermore, by announcing in advance that additional content, changes and improvements will come significantly after the Xbox release and not shortly thereafter, they have made it clear that for some time Xbox players will have only the version of the game that has flopped on PC available to play. After having considered it for some time now, I cannot see how this is anything but a recipe for failure.

5. On the other hand, if revenue is running low and staff is being cut, this may be the only option they have left. I want to be very very clear that this is speculation on my part. I have no solid information in hand that leads me to believe GrapeCard is reducing or furloughing it's staff. However I can not conceive of any other set of circumstances in which the announced plan makes sense. If revenue coming in the door isn't critically important, it seems obvious they would want to improve the game before making it available on another platform.

6. This leads me to the worry that they do not now expect the game to have any meaningful chance at success and that this move is in fact the dreaded "cash grab" many players are quick to accuse any developer of doing (the industry has made it's own bed with this problem, and now must lie in it), calculated only to wring a few extra dollars out of the game. While many of us, myself included, have been bickering furiously about whether there will be or should be a wipe, in the back of my head I have found the seemingly secondary detail that further content will be delayed significantly beyond the Xbox release troubling. For the hundredth time I will freely admit I have no experience with coding or participating game development and I realize there could be technical reasons for this approach that make sense from that angle, but what I do know is business and marketing, and from those perspectives, this looks like a horribly foolish approach if one is actually trying to make a successful game.

I am loathe to contribute to any atmosphere of hysterical speculation, so I have thought long and hard before putting this forward. I am doing so because the more I consider this information, the more I find it hard to see how their announced plan is one that gives Atlas any real chance for success long term.  It really just boils down to this:

If you put the same thing out there on Xbox that failed on PC, why would you expect it not to fail on Xbox as well, and then what did that really get you except whatever revenue you garnered from the initial sales? And why should those of us who have been here all along not perceive this skeptically as a cynical desperation cash grab? I would very much like to see Atlas fulfill the promise it holds even now as a unique and compelling game, but with the information I have in hand, I cannot see this as anything but a road map to nowhere.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

I have been thinking about this for some time now. Essentially since a few days after the livestream and the annoucement there would be no new content until after Xbox launch. I am trying to find a way in which these decisions would make sense based on what I know, or to figure out what I could be overlooking that could create a context in which they make sense. So far I have not been able to come up with anything other than what follows:

DONT WORRY MAN, I have been pressuring Xbox to give a decision on the wipe without grapeshot saying anything on twitter. Things are going well because I have others asked my the same thing too.

1. It's an undeniable fact that Atlas has fared poorly with PC players since it's initial very active release. It's activity numbers have gone nowhere but steadily downward with very temporary and slight upward ticks when the few new major content patches were released. These new content offerings have done little to attract new players to the game or attract inactive players back, and in the case of the torpedo there is strong anecdotal evidence that it may have actively contributed to driving pvp players from the game.

Unfortunately, even the updates have seen nothing but downward trends. The only actual upward trend was the wipe that happened. Yeah they said they don’t care about numbers. Guess it was true but shows the stupidity they have

2.  This means it's a fair assumption that revenue for the game has been negligible for probably six months now. Anecdotally the number of new players who have posted to the forums during that period are few and far between compared to a healthy game's forums. After initially saying they weren't concerned about the game making money for the time being (in which case why even do EA at all? Why not just do closed testing using the old system of alphas and betas in house?), they have now announced a release to Xbox. I can come to no other conclusion than that is being done for the sake of generating revenue. Here is why:

xbox isn’t just being done for revenue. It is also being done for the sake of steam charts(ala the numbers numbers). Smh. Speaking from a money standpoint(which they need) the wipe is happening. No offense boomer but it is happening.

3. If you don't need revenue but your game's reputation is mud with PC players, since XBox represents your best chance to redeem that reputation with the gaming public by introducing it to a playerbase unsullied by the game's poor reputation amongst PC gamers , it would seem obvious that you should make the game as appealing as possible in order to put your best foot forward with this new market. To wit, fix the game and add content BEFORE Xbox release, not after. Failing to do so is the definition of insanity, with which we are all familiar:

i don’t agree with this but not for the reason you would probably think. They guys are not good at what they do. They are busy with optimizations because they already know that crossplay is going to be crap. The main reason for no new content is that they can actually add something that can screw up all of their optimizations in one fell swoop. They do not code well. That is why they aren’t adding content. Saw it all the time with ark.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

4. How can GrapeCard reasonably expect that Atlas will not fare poorly on Xbox if released to that platform in a state that has been roundly rejected by PC players? In so doing I believe GrapeCard has set itself on a course of squandering it's last best chance to market Atlas's potential by rushing to the platform a version of the game it has no objectively good reason to believe will fare better than it has so far on PC. Furthermore, by announcing in advance that additional content, changes and improvements will come significantly after the Xbox release and not shortly thereafter, they have made it clear that for some time Xbox players will have only the version of the game that has flopped on PC available to play. After having considered it for some time now, I cannot see how this is anything but a recipe for failure.

i get why they are doing that though. They want to give the Xbox players a chance to fully enjoy the game, reach the max level and fulfill everything the game has to offer. Then they can add more stuff to keep the Xbox players interested. Think about that one. Pc is in the dust. Not meaning anything bad by that btw. Just realism.

5. On the other hand, if revenue is running low and staff is being cut, this may be the only option they have left. I want to be very very clear that this is speculation on my part. I have no solid information in hand that leads me to believe GrapeCard is reducing or furloughing it's staff. However I can not conceive of any other set of circumstances in which the announced plan makes sense. If revenue coming in the door isn't critically important, it seems obvious they would want to improve the game before making it available on another platform.

it is not a cash grab like others think. I wouldn’t even say that. This is however a last ditch effort. By a new lead designer coming in that does mean one of two things though. Either Jeremy and Jesse are working on another new game(very likely since atlas failed) or they are going back to wildcard to work harder on ark since it is more successful. It is one of those two

6. This leads me to the worry that they do not now expect the game to have any meaningful chance at success and that this move is in fact the dreaded "cash grab" many players are quick to accuse any developer of doing (the industry has made it's own bed with this problem, and now must lie in it), calculated only to wring a few extra dollars out of the game. While many of us, myself included, have been bickering furiously about whether there will be or should be a wipe, in the back of my head I have found the seemingly secondary detail that further content will be delayed significantly beyond the Xbox release troubling. For the hundredth time I will freely admit I have no experience with coding or participating game development and I realize there could be technical reasons for this approach that make sense from that angle, but what I do know is business and marketing, and from those perspectives, this looks like a horribly foolish approach if one is actually trying to make a successful game.

even though the wipe is happening, I just want to say it will be a good thing. I will also say again, I don’t believe this to be a cash grab in the slightest. They are just drowning right now and being frantic. Hell it happens. The wipe will happen though. I am however wondering how successful this game could possibly be with how it has been developed.definitely not ark successful lol. Who knows, maybe no mans sky successful lol

I am loathe to contribute to any atmosphere of hysterical speculation, so I have thought long and hard before putting this forward. I am doing so because the more I consider this information, the more I find it hard to see how their announced plan is one that gives Atlas any real chance for success long term.  It really just boils down to this:

yeah I can get with you on this

If you put the same thing out there on Xbox that failed on PC, why would you expect it not to fail on Xbox as well, and then what did that really get you except whatever revenue you garnered from the initial sales? And why should those of us who have been here all along not perceive this skeptically as a cynical desperation cash grab? I would very much like to see Atlas fulfill the promise it holds even now as a unique and compelling game, but with the information I have in hand, I cannot see this as anything but a road map to nowhere.

this is a very important point that you bring up. Even if they did do a cash grab and made another game I would most certainly be there the minute the forum opens up to do what I usually do. I would also be patiently awaiting anyone that was on this forum to show up. The reason for that is that the next time they say “you don’t play the game”  I will say “you here for the next cash grab?” Lol

i know this company. I’ll play atlas until I get bored and then I will move on very quickly. If others don’t. I will be there to teach them.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

God, give me the damn CM position. This is complete BS. The lack of communication is ridiculous. I really want to invite everyone to look at Ced’s posts on twitter. He is doing an amazing job. Not quite as good as I would but still awesome in his own respect.

i could literally reply to every single person with atleast a speck of info and it would always be positive.

not just that but since I would be employed by you I wouldn’t be able to say anything bad at all. Not on the forums/twitter/reddit/twitch/discord. You guys are missing out on some good publicity to be honest, as well as getting rid of the bad. Oh well, the ball is in your court.

Edited by Realist
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerryn said:

I understand why you posted this and no offense but it could just as easily be postings for when key people left positions they cannot afford to not have. I wouldn't think you would lay off a Senior Programmer of any sort, and as far as I know no one has been laid off, but when key people leave an operation they perceive as floundering, they need to be replaced, regardless of whether other positions are or not.  It's why companies in bankruptcy still hire CFO's.

Either way, my main concern is not really whether they are laying people off or not, but that I don't see any scenario in which launching the same version of a game which tanked hard on PC onto a different platform and announcing in advance you won't be changing much for a while is a good move for your game's long term success.

Xbox launch is your best chance for meaningful growth in the playerbase. The plan as laid out seems unlikely to result in anything but some initial rush followed by rapidly dwindling numbers again. If I have overlooked some relevant piece of info I'm all ears, but this is what it looks like from where I sit.

Edited by boomervoncannon

10 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I understand why you posted this and no offense but it could just as easily be postings for when key people left positions they cannot afford to not have. I wouldn't think you would lay off a Senior Programmer of any sort, and as far as I know no one has been laid off, but when key people leave an operation they perceive as floundering, they need to be replaced, regardless of whether other positions are or not.  It's why companies in bankruptcy still hire CFO's.

Either way, my main concern is not really whether they are laying people off or not, but that I don't see any scenario in which launching the same version of a game which tanked hard on PC onto a different platform and announcing in advance you won't be changing much for a while is a good move for your game's long term success.

Xbox launch is your best chance for meaningful growth in the playerbase. The plan as laid out seems unlikely to result in anything but some initial rush followed by rapidly dwindling numbers again. If I have overlooked some relevant piece of info I'm all ears, but this is what it looks like from where I sit.

Not just that but there are a few other positions I can think of that need to be filled.

• Haha 1

As should be obvious from the stream the the problem is since this thing crashed after launch, they don't know what to do and in what direction they new design needs to go...
That is why they put XBOX first which is a technical problem that with goals set by others for them (Microsoft)...

When this game launched it had an idea what it should be and where it should go...
That crashed and burned on day one, because in reality it did not work at initial contact with the enemy (players actually playing)...
They did not know what to do, no plan B, and lost complete the initiative...

At that point they started to ask the influencers like streamers and largest companies what they wanted... and did that without thinking about it first...
Obviously a guy behind a camera loosing in the game is not the best advice to get from...

Numbers dropped and so someone came up with an original though: how about we do the same think as worked for ARK? New dinos always brought people back fro ARK lets do this and ARKify the Atlas... crashed and burnt also, because even the ARK players in Atlas came here because of LESS TAMES...

At that point they are like a scared animal doing nothing, because they are locked into the thought that everything the tried before failed and so the next thing they try could fail also, so better not do anything...

That what was seen on the stream...
They know that the main problem is the PVP mechanics...
But that is last on the agenda... because "what if we fail to fix it and make it worse again?"

So they look at fixing the technical side - thereby buying time for themselves in the hope in between some good idea comes up...
They new guy seems to get the PVE side and can see the PVP problem, but seems also not best choice to fix the game/PVP or he gets hold back by the others because "what if" it fails again...

We here discuss and make suggestions how to fix the game and they actually are looking at it, as was obvious from the stream. But again as they don't play the game themselves they have no expertise to evaluate those suggestions and fear that they fall for the wrong suggestion...

In combat the officer should be a guy that is not necessary right all the time, but at least makes a decision even if in the end it is wrong and fails... because doing nothing and being shell shocked will always fail...
They are shell shocked... someone has to relief the officer and take command to get back the initiative...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

6. This leads me to the worry that they do not now expect the game to have any meaningful chance at success and that this move is in fact the dreaded "cash grab" many players are quick to accuse any developer of doing

That worry should be replaced by your understanding below

11 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I understand why you posted this

🙂

and no offense but it could just as easily be postings for when key people left positions they cannot afford to not have. I wouldn't think you would lay off a Senior Programmer of any sort, and as far as I know no one has been laid off, but when key people leave an operation they perceive as floundering, they need to be replaced, regardless of whether other positions are or not.  It's why companies in bankruptcy still hire CFO's.

Some people just leave.

Some people just don't further development on games, and then announce that the reason they don't continue is because the further development will happen after the game has started to be developed again.

Maybe those key people stopped the development due to their perception.

Edited by eeeceee

9 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

That worry should be replaced by your understanding below

🙂

Some people just leave.

Right, but my point is that just because they are hiring certain positions does not mean things are doing well overall. Companies in the middle of bankruptcy will hire a new CFO if the old one bails because they have to have one. Look I'm perfectly willing to admit this information could also indicate that Eric has determined he needs more talent working on the project and is authorized to go out and get it. Believe me that is what I'd definitely prefer.

Mostly I am concerned for how this plan does not seem to be giving the game a very good chance to put it's best foot forward when introducing it to a new platform and a new market. Whatever technical reasons might make this approach seem like a good idea, I can assure you that from where I sit it looks like an absolutely horrible idea from a business and marketing perspective, and over the past 15 years GrapeCard would not be the first studio I have seen make decisions for technical reasons that were poor business decisions. For all the criticism leveled at him, Steve Jobs built Apple into a powerhouse because he understood that it doesn't matter how good your product is if doesn't fill a customer need and isn't marketed properly. Jobs was a businessman first, tech guy second.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Right, but my point is that just because they are hiring certain positions does not mean things are doing well overall. Companies in the middle of bankruptcy will hire a new CFO if the old one bails because they have to have one. Look I'm perfectly willing to admit this information could also indicate that Eric has determined he needs more talent working on the project and is authorized to go out and get it. Believe me that is what I'd definitely prefer.

Mostly I am concerned for how this plan does not seem to be giving the game a very good chance to put it's best foot forward when introducing it to a new platform and a new market. Whatever technical reasons might make this approach seem like a good idea, I can assure you that from where I sit it looks like an absolutely horrible idea from a business and marketing perspective, and over the past 15 years GrapeCard would not be the first studio I have seen make decisions for technical reasons that were poor business decisions. For all the criticism leveled at him, Steve Jobs built Apple into a powerhouse because he understood that it doesn't matter how good your product is if doesn't fill a customer need and isn't marketed properly. Jobs was a businessman first, tech guy second.

The reply from Jerryn is trying to give that confidence which is not actually possible to give, all anybody can give anybody is a show of good faith.

Steve Jobs built apple into something bigger than himself because he was able to use a product that people built. Separating Steves Jobs from apple is the only way to reasonable view apple's "size".

5 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

The reply from Jerryn is trying to give that confidence which is not actually possible to give, all anybody can give anybody is a show of good faith.

Steve Jobs built apple into something bigger than himself because he was able to use a product that people built. Separating Steves Jobs from apple is the only way to reasonable view apple's "size".

Jobs instilled his philosophy into Apple, which is that the marketing of a product is as important as the product itself, and in designing the product you must always keep the end user and marketing oriented considerations in mind. What their impression of your product will be, what their experience will feel like. This is why Apple products place as much emphasis on things like the physical appearance of the product and it's ease of use by non tech savy folks as it does on anything else. Engineers have a tendency to build things because they can or add things that they view as cool for technical reasons without ever asking "How will this enhance the customer's experience?"

The answer to all of this for me is very simple.

I won't be returning to the game and definitely won't be opening my wallet for this company or any project that these "developers" are involved with in the future.

Atlas has also most likely been my last "early access" experience. Early access seems more like a scam these days than something resembling supporting development.

3 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

The answer to all of this for me is very simple.

I won't be returning to the game and definitely won't be opening my wallet for this company or any project that these "developers" are involved with in the future.

Atlas has also most likely been my last "early access" experience. Early access seems more like a scam these days than something resembling supporting development.

We are trying to get something for ourselves here. There is no game as yet, and once there is, you will not be happy if you are not here.

The quotation marks around the word developer shows this.

2 hours ago, eeeceee said:

Smoke and mirrors 😛

Pc > mac, does everything for less cost, less smoke and mirrors

I'm not arguing that Apple is better. I personally am not fond of Apple and tend to avoid their products. I'm arguing that Steve Jobs understanding of the importance of marketing is a key component of Apple's success, despite non Apple software and hardware products being as good or better. My computer is a PC and my phone is an android. I use an Ipad for work only because it is work issued, and in many respects it annoys me.

I  do not think XBOX is a cash grab - they always made clear it would be part of EA and not something after it leaves EA.  Doing it one year in (EOY late fall is my prediction) is reasonable expectation.

I think instead what it is doing is buying them time.  It will take time for XBOX to figure out what PC already figured out.  It will take time for the new lead designer to figure out they do not actually know how to take ARKs raft engine and make it do all kinds of piratey ships and do piraty things with - like board.  I mean did they ever figure out for good how to get seagulls stopping to use the poop deck from sinking your ship, and if they did how long did that take?

Edited by krazmuze

4 hours ago, krazmuze said:

I  do not think XBOX is a cash grab - they always made clear it would be part of EA and not something after it leaves EA.  Doing it one year in (EOY late fall is my prediction) is reasonable expectation.

I think instead what it is doing is buying them time.  It will take time for XBOX to figure out what PC already figured out.  It will take time for the new lead designer to figure out they do not actually know how to take ARKs raft engine and make it do all kinds of piratey ships and do piraty things with - like board.  I mean did they ever figure out for good how to get seagulls stopping to use the poop deck from sinking your ship, and if they did how long did that take?

Yep. Sounds good to me and I agree. Until we Xbox people fully enjoy every aspect of the game there really doesn’t need to be any new content until at least 3 months after Xbox release. I think 6 months would be better but even if it is 3 it will be fine. And yeah it will be at least 3 months. So with the two month timeframe for release and 3 months after, we are looking at 5 months or more before any content happens.

this is actually great news. Everyone gets on the same page and they can all enjoy the new content together.

that is what happens when crossplay happens, so I am so glad this is happening 

Edited by Realist

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Yep. Sounds good to me and I agree. Until we Xbox people fully enjoy every aspect of the game there really doesn’t need to be any new content until at least 3 months after Xbox release. I think 6 months would be better but even if it is 3 it will be fine. And yeah it will be at least 3 months. So with the two month timeframe for release and 3 months after, we are looking at 5 months or more before any content happens.

this is actually great news. Everyone gets on the same page and they can all enjoy the new content together.

that is what happens when crossplay happens, so I am so glad this is happening 

I’ll remember you said this once you’re ingame and after a month everyone you know is bitching about the complete lack of content  beyond one boss, one dungeon and powerstones. This is another one of your statements that has most people who have actually played rolling their eyes at what you’re saying.

• Like 1

Realist who are you trying to fool here?

Why are you happy?

It is a cash grab.

Oh for sure boomer, this guy just can't help himself, quite sad that he tries so desperately.

7 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I'm not arguing that Apple is better. I personally am not fond of Apple and tend to avoid their products. I'm arguing that Steve Jobs understanding of the importance of marketing is a key component of Apple's success, despite non Apple software and hardware products being as good or better. My computer is a PC and my phone is an android. I use an Ipad for work only because it is work issued, and in many respects it annoys me.

Well, imagine if Steve Jobs could do what he did with better product.

Edited by eeeceee

12 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I’ll remember you said this once you’re ingame and after a month everyone you know is bitching about the complete lack of content  beyond one boss, one dungeon and powerstones. This is another one of your statements that has most people who have actually played rolling their eyes at what you’re saying.

But you are forgetting the modus operandi of the devs.    They will start hyping the next megapatch a month after the xbox goes live proclaiming they fixed all the bugs leading you to believe it will be here shortly when they know full well it will take them months to release, then months to fix before they give up and move on to the next megapatch.   It is the promise of content that drags people along so they hopefully do not quit....

3 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

But you are forgetting the modus operandi of the devs.    They will start hyping the next megapatch a month after the xbox goes live proclaiming they fixed all the bugs leading you to believe it will be here shortly when they know full well it will take them months to release, then months to fix before they give up and move on to the next megapatch.   It is the promise of content that drags people along so they hopefully do not quit....

Maybe you need to go back and read the op?

What are you even trying to say? Are you trying to say that "just promising content is bad"? What do you think a cash grab is?

5 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

Yes and the interesting thing about how this relates to Realist is the fact he began his time here proclaiming Wildcard as evil and down with Atlas and everything related. Now as the game has failed to come anywhere close to expectations, he has weirdly become a huge fan who is fine with a game he's never played yet having almost no content and perfectly happy that it won't have any new content for months after it's Xbox debut. What's that acronmym I'm looking for...

Smh.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Yes and the interesting thing about how this relates to Realist is the fact he began his time here proclaiming Wildcard as evil and down with Atlas and everything related. Now as the game has failed to come anywhere close to expectations, he has weirdly become a huge fan who is fine with a game he's never played yet having almost no content and perfectly happy that it won't have any new content for months after it's Xbox debut. What's that acronmym I'm looking for...

Smh.

Oh nice! I didn't know that.

That is just so obvious though really, isn't it.

22 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Once again boomer, you can see how crossplay was stupid to begin with. When ark stayed a stray from steam/Xbox crossplay they were very successful in that aspect. This was a very stupid decision they made.

ark pc has always been ahead of co sole pc. It always gave them the freedom to do whatever they wanted and then wait till QA from Microsoft or Sony pushed through. They had a lot more freedom before. 

Now with Xbox and steam playing at the same time we now have the pc people literally going through the same QA process that Xbox does(loving this).

so no, it was sometimes a whole month before we got what pc got. We now have the opportunity to get everything that pc gets but at the same time. Mind you, that is the same for us but a lot longer for pc players. Still loving it.

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Smh.

It’s called progress. I realize that isn’t an acronym but that is what it is called. 

It is time to leave the past behind and move towards the future. Why relive the past right?